ADVERTISEMENT

GG decommitting?

I believe there is a chance he could go G League after his Top-100 performance and MVP. They had two players in the first round of the draft, one was a lottery pick. Hard to make a case for him not going if he and his family change course.
I can make a case that he comes to UNC, make a boatload of money on NIL, wins a Natty and goes as top choice in the draft and will forevermore be a Heel. That sounds much more appealing.

I can make a case that he comes to UNC, make a boatload of money on NIL, wins a Natty and goes as top choice in the draft and will forevermore be a Heel. That sounds much more appealing.
I wouldn’t turn that offer down. Sign me up as well!

Reactions: ChapelHeeled
Why would anybody go to the G-League or another College? Want to be seen?! Go to UNC!

Most watched basketball games of 2022 (so far)

17.0M UNC vs Kansas
16.2M UNC vs Duke
13.6M UNC vs St Peter's
13.0M NBA Finals Game 5
12.4M NBA Finals Game 6
12.1M NBA Finals Game 4
11.9M NBA Finals Game 2
11.4M NBA Finals Game 1
11.2M Duke vs Mich St
11.1M Villanova vs Kansas

Last edited:
GG is in the rumor mill, it happens, so thursday:

North Carolina head coach Hubert Davis and assistants were on hand in Kansas City to watch Jackson play in the Nike EYBL event. 247Sports recruiting analyst tweeted he spotted the coach and staff.

I' d say our team is staying with the the recruit and vice versa.

Gonna be a long rough road til he gets on campus and not sure it will happen. All he has to do is come out and clearly state where he stands. I admit I haven’t kept up with ALL the rumblings but he controls all this BS to begin with. Either squash it or it will continue to fester and that may not be good for us. Just an opinion no facts or “inside info”.

I believe there is a chance he could go G League after his Top-100 performance and MVP. They had two players in the first round of the draft, one was a lottery pick. Hard to make a case for him not going if he and his family change course.
I don't follow the G League. How many straight-from-high-school players typically play in the G League?

Should we compare the G League to a top university?

What I mean is, is 2 draft picks in the first round a "good" showing - compared with, say, Duke or UK who always seem to place a couple of guys (or more) in the first round?

Glancing at the Decommit list on TOS, I see that Mookie Cook has recently decommitted from Oregon.

He's a 6'7 200 SF ranked #5.

Even though we will lose Leaky after this year, it doesn't feel like we need another SF.

Should we be interested?

I wonder if decommits (or wafflers who consider decommitting but don't) do better or worse than otherwise similar recruits who didn't flip-flop?

This probably isn't fair, but I sometimes wonder if decommits are more likely to be head cases.

Obviously I'm not talking about a kid who commits very early and then blows up. That can make sense.

Has UNC ever gotten a decommit? Who? How did it work out?

Has UNC ever lost a commit? Who? How did it work out?

Should early transfers be looked at in the same light? We've had several guys transfer and, except for the guys with injury problems, most have done well at their new schools.

If GG decommits then HD has some work to do on the 2023 class. That would drop us to one commit with many of the top players having already committed elsewhere or at least far along in their recruitments. We know we will lose Nance and likely will lose Bacot, so getting a big or two will be critical. We may need to rely on the portal again to fill a couple holes.

I wonder if decommits (or wafflers who consider decommitting but don't) do better or worse than otherwise similar recruits who didn't flip-flop?

This probably isn't fair, but I sometimes wonder if decommits are more likely to be head cases.

Obviously I'm not talking about a kid who commits very early and then blows up. That can make sense.

Has UNC ever gotten a decommit? Who? How did it work out?

Has UNC ever lost a commit? Who? How did it work out?

Should early transfers be looked at in the same light? We've had several guys transfer and, except for the guys with injury problems, most have done well at their new schools.
JR Smith had signed.

Reactions: chickenhunter
JamesOn Curry is another guy that comes to mind. Prolific scorer in High School. He was signed by UNC but then had drug charges and ended up going to Oklahoma St and played for Eddie Sutton. Go figure.

Just a thought. If GG wanted to reclassify, is there a current UNC player that could/would willingly give up their scholarship?

Reactions: OldSchoo01
JamesOn Curry is another guy that comes to mind. Prolific scorer in High School. He was signed by UNC but then had drug charges and ended up going to Oklahoma St and played for Eddie Sutton. Go figure.

Just a thought. If GG wanted to reclassify, is there a current UNC player that could/would willingly give up their scholarship?
The good news is that we don't need him this year.

Am I correct in thinking that if someone redshirts this year, that does not free up a scholarship?

I don't think we should make room for him if he decided to classify. It would be a shame to lose him, but I don't want to be "that" school.

JamesOn Curry is another guy that comes to mind. Prolific scorer in High School. He was signed by UNC but then had drug charges
This one really got under my skin. Pot charges are such BS - as nearly everybody recognizes now.

IMO, once he completed his community service, that should have been the end of it.

He did very well at OK State, but would have gotten a ring off the bench as a frosh with us (2005) and would likely have started in 2006.

Reactions: RP12

You can't give up your scholarship if recruited with one.

Seems to be enough momentum that it’s going to happen. With the rumors last week. Now everyone flipping the pick and granted he went on to say it’s just a rumor he didint exactly flat out deny anything. It is what it is, losing him would hurt no way around that. Maybe HD is getting that feeling too and is trying one last push and that’s why he’s been at all his games lately? He’s a kid if he wants to get to the NBA quicker no one can fault him. I’m sure it wouldn’t happen but couldn’t he come here as a walk on? I’m sure he would make more then enough money on NIL to handle the tuition. But maybe his camp thinks he’s ready and would be easier to just go to USC and be the guy from the start and then be a top 3 pick.

Not saying GG wont flip, but I find it a tad bit intereating that its USC and Dook guys flipping there picks.

Reactions: Heels5150
The family has handled this very poorly. This has become a complete clown show.
There is way to much weird things going on. Everyone just needs to be prepared for a decommitment. If he’s going to stick with the original plan of High school. Any idea when he would have to enroll by?

If he’s going to stick with the original plan of High school. Any idea when he would have to enroll by?
Good question.

Someone on TOS said that some states allow HS players to get NIL. Is that true? If so, maybe that's part of the holdup. Makes sense to go where the NIL is, all other things being equal.

Dude's doing nothing but liking tweets about USc. It's a joke at how blatantly obvious this is, yet he still has the audacity to keep "committed" in his twitter title lol.

That sounds way too logical to be just made up add in tall of the people changing their picks and the family being awfully quiet. Makes to much sense for it to just be a rumor. Chances are he would have only been here for a year and you can make an argument for one year, with the roster we had, nance is a better fit unless gg comes in and is like a Durant/Beasley. Where this does hurt UNC is losing a bonafide top 5 NBA draft pick which would without question help UNCs image of producing nba big time talent. That one really stings. That all being said for GG to sit there and be really coy about it all on social media and string everyone along shows a little about him as a person. I won’t hammer him for making a financial choice for him or his family but the way it’s been handled is the problem

This does not hurt the 2022-2023 team because we’ve got Nance which I think will be a great fit for this roster and GG made the decision not to reclass when we had the spot available. However, this really hurts the 2023-2024 team as they will not have Nance and likely not have Bacot. We needed an immediate impact player at PF and GG was that guy that comes in day 1 and starts and probably averages double digit ppg. If he decommits, HD is left with only one recruit for the 2023 class and badly needs 1-2 bigs that will be early contributors. I am thinking the portal will be the way to go at this point.

This does not hurt the 2022-2023 team because we’ve got Nance which I think will be a great fit for this roster and GG made the decision not to reclass when we had the spot available. However, this really hurts the 2023-2024 team as they will not have Nance and likely not have Bacot. We needed an immediate impact player at PF and GG was that guy that comes in day 1 and starts and probably averages double digit ppg. If he decommits, HD is left with only one recruit for the 2023 class and badly needs 1-2 bigs that will be early contributors. I am thinking the portal will be the way to go at this point.
Try to get involved with an uncommitted guy like this?

Maybe?

If it boils down to the NIL money or opportunities you can’t tell me that little Carolina can offer him a better deal? Not feeling good about this. Shut it down if you’re truly committed

You can't lose what you never had. If GG goes elsewhere, then best of luck to him. If he ends up on UNC's campus next year then welcome to the family. Do whatever you want to young man, but would love to see you in Carolina blue ... even if only for a year.
I have NO inside information at all, but my guess is GG would happily attend UNC next year ... but perhaps the people around him are whispering in his ear ... how many times have we seen that before?
Go Heels !!!

If you read that string of 6 tweets, it looks very plausible that GG will reclassify. Especially if these points are correct:
...the family agent/advisor tells them that the NBA collective bargaining negotiation isn’t favorable for prospective 2023 rookies & advised a reclassifying to 2022 to start the NBA service time clock to avoid being grandfathered into a worse NBA rookie deal.​
Source also confirms @GamecockMBB has lined up a lucrative NIL package which UNC is unable to compete with. B/c state NIL law has been paused by the budget proviso, the @uofsc athletic department can assist w/ facilitating NIL opportunities, and are actively doing so with GG.​

Is it true that because of different state laws SC can offer better NIL? Or am I reading that wrong?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT