ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky vs UNC game thread for Saturday 16 Dec 2024

Rough night for Cadeau. The moment seemed a bit big for him. He needs to get to the point where the game slows down in his head. The last play he had no pressure on him and still could not wait for the set down screen.

Two fumbled uncontested defensive rebounds hurt as well. Had a chance to steal one tonight.

Good game, two solid teams, each with plenty to work on. I think both will be fine by tourney time.

At least there's nothing to complain about now. We deserved to lose in every sense of the word. 3-4 foolish mistakes at the very end.

Reactions: Heelicious
why tf would you put him back in the game at that point ... stupid fng coaching. RJ should have stayed at pg ... fng DUH
I’m ok with getting Cadeau that rep. Assuming Ryan was setting a down screen for Davis, it’s a pass that Cadeau shouldn’t throw regardless how long he was on the bench though.

Need to work on the last minute situations. That was atrocious, lol. Almost as bad as Leaky in a clear out at Notre Dame last year.

Oh well…Played hard….Coach Davis will get us right…

Also Auburn Gary will be along soon to tell me about how we should have ran 44 and 45 jump bs…Clown shit…

Just like playing Withers over Trimble down the stretch. Trimble was playing good
I don’t look at that a horrible move. He actually played a better game for him. His size and defense was a huge part of our come back. Look at his blocks and stopping ball penetration. Seth should have played over EC

Reactions: tarwhiz
Tos tos tos sloppy play and that sub at the end was bizarre....we are losing games we should win Bacot looks slow and outhustled a lot

why tf would you put him back in the game at that point ... stupid fng coaching. RJ should have stayed at pg ... fng DUH
Right. I think he should’ve been in. But not sitting for like 15 game minutes then bring him back in under a minute. Had to think he was done for the night.

The team played sloppy but a lot of this loss is on hub. Totally unready to play. About a dozen lazy sloppy plays. Just showed up unready to think, execute, hustle.

Playing withers that long, hub deserves the L. I know they need to develop him but today they should’ve played, subbed to win. Not hope by some magic basketball fairy dust falling on withers that he’d become like 50% more than what he actually is. Maybe player 7 or 8. Worthy of maybe 10-15 minutes a game if our first 5 need a rest. Not part of some untouchable iron 5.

You can tell from hub comments he sees withers as way more than what he really is. I don’t care if he’s good in practice. He’s not good enough for the minutes he’s getting in big games.

After the last possession of the first half why would you want more RJ dribbling at the end? If anything this is an outcome of not handing EC the keys early on. It’s still obvious that teammates don’t know who the PG is when both are in the game. We flip back and forth from ball movement and spacing to one on one hero garbage.

I don’t look at that a horrible move. He actually played a better game for him. His size and defense was a huge part of our come back. Look at his blocks and stopping ball penetration. Seth should have played over EC
He had a couple blocks.

He also fumbled away crucial rebounds, couldn't defend a single perimeter player when switched onto him, took some dumb shots, didn't pursue loose balls, didn't get a hand up to contest half the jumpers in front of him, and turned over or nearly turned over every single dribble drive he attempted.

We needed stops the final 8 minutes. Put Trimble in and maybe we get the 1-2 stops needed to win this game.

After the last possession of the first half why would you want more RJ dribbling at the end? If anything this is an outcome of not handing EC the keys early on. It’s still obvious that teammates don’t know who the PG is when both are in the game. We flip back and forth from ball movement and spacing to one on one hero garbage.
Because RJ was playing phenomenal ball in the 2nd half. Who gives a shit about that 1st half possession.

Cadeau was awful tonight on both ends of the floor. I'm surprised UK didn't just foul him. They were up 3 and Cadeau rarely makes both free throws. But in the end they didn't have to foul, bc Cadeau decided to throw the ball at the back of a player he could clearly see was facing away from him.

Cadeau was bad tonight.

Reactions: al would
Kinda like football we play a decent team and lose I know we beat TN but tried to give that one away too.

you have a really impressive half with RJ at pg and EC on the bench and then you fng change it all up and put a frosh on the floor for the last play ?? How fng stupid is that? In what world does that make sense?
He has an impressive half scoring not playing PG. He had several terrible turnovers himself. Ryan should have been scoring down the stretch too.

you have a really impressive half with RJ at pg and EC on the bench and then you fng change it all up and put a frosh on the floor for the last play ?? How fng stupid is that? In what world does that make sense?
I value time on task. Get your most important players time on task in those crucial moments. It may end in a loss today. Hopefully that rep helps in the future.

Plus, I don’t think it’s that big of a deal that Hubert subbed in Cadeau for Withers when they probably needed a 3.

A little bit of playing the results going on. If Cadeau found RJ on the down screen and we missed a shot, I don’t think anyone bitches right now.

He had a couple blocks.

He also fumbled away crucial rebounds, couldn't defend a single perimeter player when switched onto him, took some dumb shots, didn't pursue loose balls, didn't get a hand up to contest half the jumpers in front of him, and turned over or nearly turned over every single dribble drive he attempted.

We needed stops the final 8 minutes. Put Trimble in and maybe we get the 1-2 stops needed to win this game.
Wrong wrong wrong. He stopped his man several times down the stretch. Stop reaching in the past. We all realize peeps played bad in diff stretches. He did much better tonight.

I think the logic was to get RJ some space. On ball they jump the screen force him to kick. They clearly were setting a down screen to hopefully shake him with space.

Cadeau should be the point to deliver that. There was not hard pressure on him, but he panicked a bit, went way early, saw a teammate there and threw it to the guy going to down screen.

Wrong wrong wrong. He stopped his man several times down the stretch. Stop reaching in the past. We all realize peeps played bad in diff stretches. He did much better tonight.
You want to come over here and re-watch the game? I'll break down every bad thing Withers did tonight, including the final 8 minutes of the game.

UK was literally seeking him out in switches so their perimeter players could score at will against him down the stretch.

He fumbled the rebound on RJ's missed free throw and committed a foul, on what should have been an easy 2 points.

He fumbled the ball out of bounds fighting with Ryan on a UK free throw miss.

He completely whiffed on a FT box out of Mitchell on a missed UK free throw.

That's not getting into the numerous awful things he did when he got the ball on offense.

You want to come over here and re-watch the game? I'll break down every bad thing Withers did tonight, including the final 8 minutes of the game.

UK was literally seeking him out in switches so their perimeter players could score at will against him down the stretch.

He fumbled the rebound on RJ's missed free throw and committed a foul, on what should have been an easy 2 points.

He fumbled the ball out of bounds fighting with Ryan on a UK free throw miss.

He completely whiffed on a FT box out of Mitchell on a missed UK free throw.

That's not getting into the numerous awful things he did when he got the ball on offense.
Nope I’m good. Once again you recalled some definite stuff he did. He and Ryan both at fault on that one. But he played and earn minutes tonight. Better play by him and it showed.

We were out-rebounded by 10.

RJ had the most rebounds for either team.

How does that happen?
Bacot took the game off. Cadeau was terrible all game long. Withers fumbled away at least 2 surefire easy rebounds, and didn't block out at least one more I can recall. Ingram was exposed for being short and lacking athleticism. Washington is just really slow and unathletic.

RJ was the main guy actually fighting to win this game.

Nope I’m good. Once again you recalled some definite stuff he did. He and Ryan both at fault on that one. But he played and earn minutes tonight. Better play by him and it showed.
He didn't play better than Trimble. He damn sure didn't deserve minutes over Trimble when we needed stops and UK was going exclusively to their guards.

There is no argument that you can possibly make that playing Withers over Trimble down the stretch was the right decision.

I think the logic was to get RJ some space. On ball they jump the screen force him to kick. They clearly were setting a down screen to hopefully shake him with space.

Cadeau should be the point to deliver that. There was not hard pressure on him, but he panicked a bit, went way early, saw a teammate there and threw it to the guy going to down screen.
I think the set up was actually really smart, wanting a 3 look with 11 seconds left. If you ball screen with Mando with RJ on ball, as they had been, hell they give Mando the 3. So, Ingram would probably screen be the kick guy, he can knock it down, but was not tonight.

With Cormac setting the down screen on the wing you have your best two shooters in the wash. If they over jump RJ, Cormac gets the look, if they don't RJ has the space to create with only 1 defender fighting the screen. Caudeu freaked out, and shat the bed on that one. Learning moment for sure for him.

He didn't play better than Trimble. He damn sure didn't deserve minutes over Trimble when we needed stops and UK was going exclusively to their guards.

There is no argument that you can possibly make that playing Withers over Trimble down the stretch was the right decision.

read man read. I said he over EC. Read please.

Hubert just isn’t very good. In close games, coaching and execution matter most and we are woefully bad in those areas at this point.

Year's going pretty well so far. Let's give him more than 10 minutes in this game. This is still a roster that's a bit too limited to expect Final Four caliber play. We needed one more wing.
I agree. This team is still missing a long athletic big. Withers, although he played better today, is just so flawed fundamental. He lacks finite ball skills and is not a technical defensive player by any means.
Kentucky long athletic players bothered Bacot AND Ingram today. We really needed Withers today, but he is what he is at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT