ADVERTISEMENT

Mayo Bowl gamethread

I remember when the Redskins brought Joe Gibbs back... this is going even worse than that, and that was pretty bad.

I agree with @uncboy10 , it's going to take a bare home stadium (assuming they play and have fans next season with Covid). Brown is going to continue to lose when it really matters. This staff is toast. The recruits are irrelevant when you can't coach them and steer the ship.

Can’t believe they were not up for this game. It’s a chance to be a rival plus another chance to represent the greatest university around. These lower tier bowls are tough to get up for but it wasn’t like we didn’t have something to play for. Confusing. Should be up just because you’re playing another game. That’s just me though.

I don't see the D being very good next yr either. Based on rankings i'd be excited about 2023

I'd love to say i'm excited about the future of the D given all the recruits, but Grimes and Des Evans are second yr 5 stars who got plenty of PT last yr, who don't really look like ACC starters. Maybe it is too early to judge them...

Unless some new coach and Corey Gayner are miracles I see the OL probs not being fixed overnite. Hard to have high hopes for an O next yr too. Ezeudu is good, McKethan a worthy starter - hopefully they return.

This was for big-time bragging rights. Bragging rights for the conference for the states and for fan bases and we wet the bed big time and piss all over ourselves

Reactions: blazers
Unless some new coach and Corey Gayner are miracles I see the OL probs not being fixed overnite. Hard to have high hopes for an O next yr too. Ezeudu is good, McKethan a worthy starter - hopefully they return.
I would’ve loved to see more of Barnes but maybe he sucks too

Can’t believe they were not up for this game. It’s a chance to be a rival plus another chance to represent the greatest university around. These lower tier bowls are tough to get up for but it wasn’t like we didn’t have something to play for. Confusing. Should be up just because you’re playing another game. That’s just me though.
They haven't "been up" for ANY game! I take that back. I think they were kinda up for the Wake game. Otherwise, this season was crap.

They haven't "been up" for ANY game! I take that back. I think they were kinda up for the Wake game. Otherwise, this season was crap.
up for the first 58 min of the NCSU game. ;)

The slow starts the past decade for UNC fball must be an interesting stat.

This was for big-time bragging rights. Bragging rights for the conference for the states and for fan bases and we wet the bed big time and piss all over ourselves
Big time bragging rights? Maybe for you since you live down in little carolina, but they aren't really considered a rival. I'm not trying to diminish them, but they just don't fit anyone's definition of a rival.

Big time bragging rights? Maybe for you since you live down in little carolina, but they aren't really considered a rival. I'm not trying to diminish them, but they just don't fit anyone's definition of a rival.
Rival for several reasons but mainly because their feeble minded fan base are confused about the real “Carolina” so I will have to hear that BS for a while

They aren't a rival but I always look at Scar as a huge game because of location, recruiting of Charlotte, some history, and the fact that they're ACC. sec

Rival for several reasons but mainly because their feeble minded fan base are confused about the real “Carolina” so I will have to hear that BS for a while
Maybe rivals when we were both in the ACC, but we hardly ever play them. That alone keeps us from being real rivals.

They aren't a rival but I always look at Scar as a huge game because of location, recruiting of Charlotte, some history, and the fact that they're ACC.
I could understand that, although I'm not sure I would consider them a recruiting rival. It doesn't really seem like there are battles on the regular. Maybe that's just because we both aren't any good.

Maybe that's just because we both aren't any good.
Ideal rivals in that sense. I've never felt any rivalry with SC. However, having lived most of my life in SC, it gets tedious when I have to clarify "Carolina" for the majority of people here.

If Bubba does not force Mack to fire at least 4 or 5 assistants, Bubba is failing. If Bubba does not oversee the hiring of new assistants, Bubba is failing. If Bubba does not tell Mack that next year must be no worse than 9-3, Bubba is failing.
Mack allowed this to drag on. He is the HC. This is exactly what got him run out of Texas. And if you fire most of the staff, which is warranted, who are you going to get? No decent coach is going to latch onto a 70 yr old coach on the hot seat. Old saying is that you are either coaching it, or allowing it to happen. Mack's job to make sure his assistants don't fall into either trap. He hasn't. UNC is just wasting time if they don't clean house immediately

Reactions: strummingram
Mack allowed this to drag on. He is the HC. This is exactly what got him run out of Texas. And if you fire most of the staff, which is warranted, who are you going to get? No decent coach is going to latch onto a 70 yr old coach on the hot seat. Old saying is that you are either coaching it, or allowing it to happen. Mack's job to make sure his assistants don't fall into either trap. He hasn't. UNC is just wasting time if they don't clean house immediately
They've been wasting time since 1997. Why break precedent now?

"Soft" players are indicative of a "soft" culture and weak coaching. To those who encouraged UNC's participation in and looked forward to this abortion of a bowl game, you got what you wanted. Another 60 minutes of complete regression. And to think the 9th ranked recruiting class in the country signed on to this dumpster fire. God can Mack sell. Bernie Madoff would be proud.

scarolina isn’t pulling talent away from carolina…they beat a below average tar heel team in a meaningless bowl game…the only part that sucks for me is seeing sam continuously beaten up, again, and hearing from them about being on the way up.

if you listened to them, viewed their site, or know some fans personally, they knew going in this game didn’t matter

it was just another example of getting pushed around and not being prepared…other than the td pass to walston, did you guys see anything new?

i’m with the bunch that wants the position coaches evaluated, both lines especially.

If you had told me three years ago unc would actually be worse in three years with one of the worst defenses in football I woulda fought you. Total disaster. Next years team will be comprised of three consecutive top 20 recruiting classes with the second most talent in the acc and I fully expect they’ll suck.

I am game. I think we could land someone younger and better right now. This is nor Mack in 1997 or 2009. This is Mack age 70, making the exact same mistakes he made at Texas that got him fired.

"Soft" players are indicative of a "soft" culture and weak coaching. To those who encouraged UNC's participation in and looked forward to this abortion of a bowl game, you got what you wanted. Another 60 minutes of complete regression. And to think the 9th ranked recruiting class in the country signed on to this dumpster fire. God can Mack sell. Bernie Madoff would be proud.
But in CFB, the great seller who looks more and more like his best is 8 wins and 6 wins is more likely is soon going to start signing classes that rank #30 not #10.

If Mack signs classes that rank #30, Mack's teams will be lucky to finish 5-7.

I am game. I think we could land someone younger and better right now. This is nor Mack in 1997 or 2009. This is Mack age 70, making the exact same mistakes he made at Texas that got him fired.
Totally agree. UNC has the cash, and bug donors, to offer bucks that would attract someone that could take it in the right direction. Go ask Kiffin, Dave Aranda, types just how much it would take.

They aren't going to fire Mack without his 'consent' though, it would have to appear like he is retiring.

They aren't going to fire Mack without his 'consent' though, it would have to appear like he is retiring.
His manner and his words post-game suggest to me a man unsure how things got this bad. At his age, that's a good sign to retire. He can take credit for getting the program back to sound recruiting.

Reactions: blazers
Totally agree. UNC has the cash, and bug donors, to offer bucks that would attract someone that could take it in the right direction. Go ask Kiffin, Dave Aranda, types just how much it would take.
Leave Ole Miss and the SEC for UNC and the ACC??? That's a dream.

Besides, UNC isn't going to pay for a big-name hire.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Mack is not gonna be fired or step aside but he can easily see that the defense has systemic problems. That has been proven week in and week out. Mack is saying things to keep it calm for now. Batemans defensive brand has failed basically the entire season. There is too much at stake and Mack is too old to retain Bateman. What is going to make next years version of Batemans defense successful vs this seasons? Nothing. Next year will be the same lack of execution and that is the problem.

New DC and OL coach has to be around the corner.

Leave Ole Miss and the SEC for UNC and the ACC??? That's a dream.

Besides, UNC isn't going to pay for a big-name hire.
And why not? And Kiffin would have a much easier road in the ACC. Look at Dabo. Truth is, Clemson wasn't Clemson this year. Yet Dabo rolled the balls out and won 10 games. And why wouldn't UNC pay big bucks for a top flight coach? Are we saving our money to invest in the mediocre basketball program we have seen for the last few years?

Mack is not gonna be fired or step aside but he can easily see that the defense has systemic problems. That has been proven week in and week out. Mack is saying things to keep it calm for now. Batemans defensive brand has failed basically the entire season. There is too much at stake and Mack is too old to retain Bateman. What is going to make next years version of Batemans defense successful vs this seasons? Nothing. Next year will be the same lack of execution and that is the problem.

New DC and OL coach has to be around the corner.
If I, as a UNC alum, were a top young DC and Mack offered me the job, I would tell him that I would accept only if I had the right to fire every position coach on D that I felt inadequate. We have all mediocre or poor position coaches on D. They can make even the best DC look mediocre.

Mack cannot solve the many and deep problems with just a new DC, nor even a new DC and OL coach.

And why not? And Kiffin would have a much easier road in the ACC. Look at Dabo. Truth is, Clemson wasn't Clemson this year. Yet Dabo rolled the balls out and won 10 games. And why wouldn't UNC pay big bucks for a top flight coach? Are we saving our money to invest in the mediocre basketball program we have seen for the last few years?
When I was suggesting Kiffin to replace Fedora (which stared during Fedora's next to last year), the gaggle of Fedora defenders seemed to think that was a totally absurd idea that proved I knew nothing about football.

Kiffin loves oceans. Convince him to visit the Outer Banks and Wrightsville Beach. If he refuses, steal his OL coach Jake Thornton and steal DJ Durkin to be our DC/Associate HC. And then steal Coleman Hutzler to be our Special Teams coordinator.

clemson gets off the field on 3rd down and gets after the passer…carolina extends drives and loves giving up chunk plays.

Well, first of all, I wouldn't personally want Lane Kiffin. That guy plays musical-chairs with coaching jobs far too much, for me.

And, as far as UNC's donors (or whoever pays the athletics bills) goes... when have they EVER paid for a big hire for a football head coach? I dunno what they're thinking regarding basketball. They never had to pay Roy Williams what he was worth because he loved UNC. Hubert Davis isn't going to get the big bucks for a while. I just don't think they are going to pay big bucks for a football coach. They're not going to lure-away a coach that is at a school/program that is flourishing. They can continue to hire unproven up-n-comers that do well at smaller schools and cross their fingers until the bigger schools buy them from UNC. And, then there's always hiring what they have now- a retread coach who has no more fire and desire. He has great intentions, but he is just way, way past his prime. His coordinators wouldn't be hired by any other FBS schools, if they were let go from UNC.

Hiring Cincinnati's coach would be my choice. Give him beaucoup-dolares and bring whomever he wants to bring.

I don't think Mack necessarily needs to be pushed out yet. I do however think he needs to be given an ultimatum. Bubba needs to sit him down and basically explain that if he isn't willing to make changes in his coaching staff then he will take matters into his own hands, starting at the top of the program with Mack himself.

Mack's two really good recruiting classes were freshmen and sophomores this year. That's not an excuse for the results though. You'd generally be expecting an up and coming program to be in the fight for ten win seasons at this point of the rebuild. Then you add two more classes so that you're sitting on 4 consecutive top 15 classes, and that gets you to the level of being able to compete with anyone, talent wise at least.

If Mack continues to bring in talent like he currently is, I say at least give him long enough to put together a full roster of these types of players. We have never even been close to this level of recruiting. It will make the program an easy sell, plenty of coaches will be confident that they have the chops to do better with that talent.

People can say recruiting doesn't matter if you don't get results, and that isn't wrong. But don't be too quick to dismiss the importance of recruiting success unless you wanna be another Wake who occasionally outperforms their roster because of good X's and O's.

I'd be looking at some of the young position coaches at better FCS programs. Guys with a lot of energy that really emphasize the fundamentals, and come from a culture of winning. Even if it's at the FCS level. The strength program also needs an overhaul. I wonder if this is an issue of outdated training modalities, or perhaps just not maintaining a high enough level of intensity in training.

If they're willing to spend over 100 million dollars in the last decade or so on facilities, I can't imagine it is outside the realm of possibility to splash the cash for a big name coach. The problem is those coaches can get that same money at more established, competitive programs.

If I, as a UNC alum, were a top young DC and Mack offered me the job, I would tell him that I would accept only if I had the right to fire every position coach on D that I felt inadequate. We have all mediocre or poor position coaches on D. They can make even the best DC look mediocre.

Mack cannot solve the many and deep problems with just a new DC, nor even a new DC and OL coach.
Our defensive plan coming into the game was to stop the run. Bateman had pin pointed the scheme to do that and they gashed us for 300+ yards and constantly ran for 6/8+ yards on first down. Mack is not going to rationally project a turnaround next season without making some changes.

Our defensive plan coming into the game was to stop the run. Bateman had pin pointed the scheme to do that and they gashed us for 300+ yards and constantly ran for 6/8+ yards on first down. Mack is not going to rationally project a turnaround next season without making some changes.
The "changes" will include Bateman making changes to his own defensive schemes and/or strategies. It won't be replacing Jay Bateman.

What about the coach who coaches Storm Duck, and the one coaching Myles Murphy? Can they stay?

You harp continuously about position coaches. That has some merit but sometimes the players just aren't up to snuff too.

Another thing we need to get rid of is those awful throwbacks. Trying to make @gteeitup happy by wearing old unis in the bowl games is clearly a bad idea. Throw those things in a pile with the black basketball uniforms.

Reactions: grillheel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT