ADVERTISEMENT

NCAAT thread (non-UNC games)

I have a rules question for you guys because sometimes basketball rules confuse me.

Why did the clock stop / play stop immediately after Maye's basket? Surely Kentucky didn't have time to signal for a timeout? I've watched the replay several times and didn't see any player signal for a time out.

Did the refs stop it because they wanted to check whether it was a 2 or a 3? I'm just trying to grasp it. If Kentucky had a bit more time (say, 1.3 seconds or so) it would make a huge difference if the refs stopped the game. It would allow the other team time to set up a play

I have a rules question for you guys because sometimes basketball rules confuse me.

Why did the clock stop / play stop immediately after Maye's basket? Surely Kentucky didn't have time to signal for a timeout? I've watched the replay several times and didn't see any player signal for a time out.

Did the refs stop it because they wanted to check whether it was a 2 or a 3? I'm just trying to grasp it. If Kentucky had a bit more time (say, 1.3 seconds or so) it would make a huge difference if the refs stopped the game. It would allow the other team time to set up a play
I think you have it right with checking whether his foot was on the line.

The rule is that the clock stops on out of bounds plays in the second half.

The rule is that the clock stops on out of bounds plays in the second half.
Ohhh okay, okay. That makes sense and solves part of it. Doesn't explain why they stopped the action though. I guess to review the 3/2.

I assumed he meant not just that the clock stopped after the made basket but that there was a bit of a stoppage before Kentucky inbounded.
Yes, correct.

I assumed he meant not just that the clock stopped after the made basket but that there was a bit of a stoppage before Kentucky inbounded.
Oh, ok. In that case then yes it was to check to see if it was a two or three.

ETA: And does anyone know why the rule for the second half is different than the first half? I've always wondered why they don't stop the clock at the end of the first half.

Oh, ok. In that case then yes it was to check to see if it was a two or three.

ETA: And does anyone know why the rule for the second half is different than the first half? I've always wondered why they don't stop the clock at the end of the first half.
I thought it was just the last minute of play in the 2nd?

I thought it was just the last minute of play in the 2nd?
That's correct. The clock only stops after a made basket in the last 1:00 of the second half and any overtime periods.
tl;dr version: to speed up the game.

Ah, the morality martyr. Too bad NO college basketball and football players are "amateurs" technically speaking, because they all receive monthly (or biweekly, can't remember) stipends. But you know, keep fighting the good fight.

2wufwufwuf
Recruit
Rating: 3.2/5 this site
482 posts this site
Re: Congrats UNC. 2016-17 NCAA Champs
10:03 AM
(1 vote)
I haven't watched a game this tourney. I dont waste my time watching pro athletes play ameturs.

Damn the Ram. Go State.

Who you guys got winning?? I think South Carolina takes this one by 3!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT