ADVERTISEMENT

Next day stuff (dook game)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and this goes beyond the particular game.

So yeah, we've all seen this movie before --- countless times it seems in HIS --- shoot 3 whole FTs for the game and never get in the bonus., all the while pretty much every dook defensive highlight was an uncalled foul. But again, we've all seen this movie before.

So... would we have won in an even moderately fairly-called game? Maybe... hell, even probably... but y'all, THAT'S NOT THE POINT. The point is that this is NOT a very good dook team --- it's one we SHOULD be able to beat, even in the customary 5-on-8 game.

Thus, the vexing question is why this UNC team is underachieving so badly? --- and let's be honest, that is indeed the case. I mean, Pitt shouldn't have been able to stay in the gym with us Wednesday, regardless of the zebras, and last night was yet another ugly perfomance.

Sure, we can each point to whatever player we're mad at, etc. but what I'm seeing is on a more aggregate level. Anyway... I've been watching recent games with a specific eye on scheme, team movement and chemistry, and phew... a lot of it is just hard to watch right now. The staff badly needs to SELF-SCOUT, and I'm really disappointed that apparently did NOT happen with a week off before Pitt, and certainly not since, and particularly because opponents have scouted us.

That said -- here is what I'm seeing ---- take it as you will:

First, enough with all the high ball-screens. It's ok once in a while, but if defenses aren't accepting a mismatch switch, then it's just a waste of time, and other than the occasional set play, we're too often getting late into the clock, and that's when things usually go south --- with guys off-ball too often STANDING AROUND.

Second (and this is a broken record) this team is at its best off Secondary Break action, which we did like twice Saturday. In general, anything that gets us into some sort of CONTINUITY action would be a welcome relief.

Third, and this brings us to the proverbial elephant in the room, we have a personnel/chemistry issue that has become glaring since Pete came back. I don't mean to bang on him in any way as a player or teammate (unlike with say, Dawson Garcia) but the result is pretty much the same --- he just doesn't fit. I've been describing our offense as "clunky" lately, and that's a bg reason.

Saturday I made a point of watching off-ball during the second half, especially once Puff finallly came in at the 4, and the contrast was striking. The team movement was miles better with Puff in that position, whereas, unless it's a set play, Pete often just looks lost.

Again, without it being anyone's "fault", sometimes a personnel / starting lineup tweak can work wonders on how the whole team functions. Cure-all? Likely not, but it could be a start. Under Roy, it literally saved us from the NIT a couple of times --- inserting Butter and then LMac into respective starting lineups --- and lemme tell ya, we're on the fast track to the NIT again as we speak, so...

Anyway, that's what I see. Maybe I'm wrong... but I don't think so. Again, take it as you will.

Is there any particular reason we don’t force tempo and run the 2ndary? The guards don’t seem to be in any hurry to get to the offensive end which I don’t know if it’s personal or the staff doesn’t emphasize it?

I agree the ball screen is just a waste.. most of the time dribbler doesn’t use the screen properly and seems in a hurry to get to the next spot

Reactions: gary-7
Gary, I think I know you have a long coaching background. I have coached at the youth level for years, I am sure not anywhere near your level.
You have been preaching the same thing all year, and I have been concert with your assessment of this offense since last year.
I watch games, like you, as a coach as opposed to a fan. The offense we currently run is nothing like any of us are accustomed too, or can even fathom coming from our beloved Tar Heels.
We are now almost two full years into this change in philosophy. At this point do you even think a revert back to Carolina basketball is possible?
Is it as simple as bringing in a true pg?
Is his philosophy even conducive to returning to Carolina basketball as we know it?
This week feels like I have lost a part of my childhood and for the first time, I feel I may not get that back.😟

Last edited:
Is there any particular reason we don’t force tempo and run the 2ndary? The guards don’t seem to be in any hurry to get to the offensive end which I don’t know if it’s personal or the staff doesn’t emphasize it?

I agree the ball screen is just a waste.. most of the time dribbler doesn’t use the screen properly and seems in a hurry to get to the next spot
The dribble handoff is the bane of my existence. I literally want to jam an ice pick into my eye everytime we run those sets.
Opposing defenders know our sets better than we do, they disrupt it endlessly. We run no secondary action off these sets to take advantage of the defenses overplay.

Gary, I think I know you have a long coaching background. I have coached at the youth level for years, I am sure not anywhere near your level.
You have been preaching the same thing all year, and I have been concert with your assessment of this offense since last year.
I watch games, like you, as a coach as opposed to a fan. The offense we currently run is nothing like any of us are accustomed too, or can even fathom coming from our beloved Tar Heels.
We are now almost two full years into this change in philosophy. At this point do you even think a revert back to Carolina basketball is possible?
Is it as simple as bringing in a true pg?
Is his philosophy even conducive to returning to Carolina basketball as we know it?
This week feels like I have lost a part of my childhood and for the first time, I feel I may not get that back.😟
I feel your pain. And if you remember back just a few games ago, it looked like we had recommitted to the transition game, but since Pete came back it has faded away. Not blaming him per se, but he does seem to get in the way... and hell, at dook we just did not push the ball with any purpose in general.

I'm at a loss as to what the staff was trying to accomplish Saturday, but it had the appearance of being bound and determined to run specific sets, that too often devolved into de facto iso-ball. Makes me wish Dean was around to remind our alum coaches that Carolina basketball is about transition, motion, ball-movement and playing inside-out --- and that literally nothing about the "modern" game has made any of that less effective.

Read an interesting article with Justin Jackson and Dewey Burke discussing the game. They were pretty honest and pulled no punches. Commented on how the defense should feed the offense but that wasn’t happening. Called out Nance and Love for watching loose balls. Like the rest of us seemed very surprised a team with this much experience is playing at this level.

As far as my opinion on the dook game, absolutely pathetic performance and effort. I’m hoping none of our commits pull out but I would not blame them. The product UNC has put on the court the last two games has been garbage.

I know it's not popular with many folks. But the man on the sideline has to be the one who puts all of this in motion. All the fast break, secondary, defense to offense, Carolina basketball talk begins with him. He has to be the one who moves the chess pieces around to do what they do best. It's obvious there are glaring issues top to bottom. We are still "winning" enough games to stay alive, but loosing the wrong games. I wonder if the drastic shift in game style was included on HD's resume? There is no way
Roy or Dean would be looking this bad and unranked with a veteran lead team at this point in the season. They darn sure wouldn't have allowed such a disparity in free throws in a game like that.
I'm not sure what's going on behind the scenes, but it's obvious this isn't a gelled team .

Reactions: Heelicious
Folks, there is a difference between hearing and listening. Did you know that?

The difference between the two, is that by listening you are moved to act on what you have heard. Until this team plays the way that they practice and are taught, we will continue to see these results. Check out RJ's interview after the dook game as he basically says the same thing. That performance we witnessed in this game was 180 from what we got to witness in Cameron last year.

There is an obvious disconnect within this team. I and my peers all agree on that, and who is causing the disconnect. If you cannot see it, then I don't know what to say other than be more discerning if you can. I see all kinds of complaints mentioned, but none seem to hit the root of the issue, and it is not coaching, as you will understand after listening to RJ. Fix the disconnect, and play will be better.

The difference between the two, is that by listening you are moved to act on what you have heard. Until this team plays the way that they practice and are taught, we will continue to see these results. Check out RJ's interview after the dook game as he basically says the same thing. That performance we witnessed in this game was 180 from what we got to witness in Cameron last year.

There is an obvious disconnect within this team. I and my peers all agree on that, and who is causing the disconnect. If you cannot see it, then I don't know what to say other than be more discerning if you can. I see all kinds of complaints mentioned, but none seem to hit the root of the issue, and it is not coaching, as you will understand after listening to RJ. Fix the disconnect, and play will be better.
That is HD's job! That's part of coaching!

Bottom line is this has to be on coaching to a degree. You guys are returning nearly everyone from last year's runner up team but yet are a middling 7-5 in a bad ACC and haven't been ranked for well over a month. There seems to be little chemistry or gameplanning. Against Pitt for example Bacot was an afterthought for the majority of the first half. Why? Completely unacceptable. Why was 28% Leaky Black camped out in the corner to shoot 3's he had no business taking? Is that part of Hubert' strategy? Even the last 3.6 seconds of the game imo was mishandled beyond belief by the UNC staff.

Look I get it that Manek is definitely missed. But he shouldn't be missed to this degree. And let's be real, Nance is a poor substitute. But Hubert Davis has not done a good job at all coaching your squad. Facts.

You really need to clarify this rather than be so cryptic as in " I see all kinds of complaints mentioned, but none seem to hit the root of the issue, and it is not coaching, as you will understand after listening to RJ. Fix the disconnect, and play will be better."

I see several issues with this team and yes there very clearly is a disconnect. Now one of 2 things are absolutely true, either this team is playing exactly as the staff wants them to OR the staff is telling them what and how they want the game played and the players are not doing it.

Now if they are playing like Hubert wants them to play, as would seem to be the case when you play your core 5 for those extended minutes, it would seem hard to blame the players for the results, that would be on the coaching staff for playing them. The other case would be the staff is telling how they want them to play and the players are refusing to do what they are told. Now if that is the case the coach has to pull them from the game and park them on the bench, no matter if the player or multiple players like it or not, and with no exceptions, even if Bacot were the problem. That has not been happening. In the event of no punishment (like benching) no transgression has occurred in the minds of the staff.

Honestly, getting control of this team is at this point more important than winning another basketball game this season because we look like a boat with out a rudder, no direction, our getting to our destination now appears to depend on which way the wind blows? There simply is no way to address this and NOT look at coaching as a concern. I like Hubert, like him as our head coach but this is very serious under achievement. If Nance is the problem easy, you don't start him, if Caleb is the problem easy, you don't start him, same for every starter or guy on the bench. And yet we see the very same starters when they are medically able to play do so for what 30+ minutes a game, that is a clear message that you guys are playing like I want you to. Playing time is a reward for hard work and playing like your coaching staff wants you to play and the punishment for not doing that is the bench and can be the pulling of a scholarship if it has to go that far.

Yes, it is crystal clear that Nance's play is not meshing and yet he continues to play as he does. It is crystal clear that Caleb has more green light to do what ever he wants with zero repercussions and no matter how many bad shots he misses? You do not have to be a former player or former coach to see that, I doubt there is anyone here that does not see that.

As best as I can tell everything is going exactly as Hubert planned it ... 1) We suck for the majority of the early season ... check. 2) Caleb drives us crazy with undisciplined basketball and acts like he doesn't care about the team ... check. 3) We lose our midseason game against dook .. check. 4) Some regular rotation player leaves the team in midseason ... yet to be determined. 5) We begin to gel and start winning close games ... yet to be determined. 6) We beat dook in the final regular season game ... yet to be determined. 7) We give a decent showing in the ACC tourney .. yet to be determined. 8) Caleb, RJ, Mando and some other player start to play great and Leaky turns up the defensive pressure to get us to the final four. After that it's anybody's guess. Relax everyone ... all is going according to plan! Go Heels !!!

• Haha
Reactions: Heelicious
That is HD's job! That's part of coaching!
You can coach until your blue in the face and will be for naught unless those you have coached play the way they are coached. The team is not playing the way that they are practicing nor the way they are being coached to play. I'm not saying that it's not Hubert's job to fix it, what I am saying, is that the disconnects between players are what's causing the very poor results in play that we are witnessing. Either it gets corrected, or we will see the same results over and over.

ETA: As mentioned above, good offense is predicated by good defense, and we are not playing good defense. Also, taking and missing shots allowed dook to get downhill run outs to their basket with fast breaks. I also agree that this dook team is not that good, and the bad shooting (Nance, Leaky, RJ & Caleb somewhat) were the big factors in us not winning despite our bad play.

Nationally, we are 316th in 3 point % shooting
Nationally, we are 295th in Assists per game rate.

It's a cluster****of issues on both sides of the ball.
Coaching does no good if players won't take coaching (i.e., watch Caleb's and RJ's post-game interviews) They admit to not doing what they are coached to do.

I don't even want to look at our defensive numbers, I might pull out my sword and fall on it. The dagger was the drive by Roach straight to the basket and our guy missing his defensive assignment just after a TO that included a warning of just what they might be going to do. Bacot could not leave his man to stop the drive as Roach would have passed it to the 7-footer for a dunk. Once Roach had RJ on his left hip it was over because one player did not rotate to cut Roach short of the lane and basket and that's been happening frequently by several players.

Last edited:
yet the same ones keep getting 35-40 minutes per game. No consequences for mistakes is not only bad coaching but bad life lessons as well. I appreciate all of your input, and I'm not a coach. However, I have been a supervisor in a pretty demanding field, and if the same ones kept doing things differently than I said they were gonna be done, they'd be sidelined until they could conform.

If they are not playing in the game as they are coached in practice, shouldn't Hubert be calling a timeout to discuss this with them or benching the guys that are not listening (at least for a few minutes)?

As you said, if it is not corrected, the results will be the same.

I don't watch all the games but obviously the bench plays very little. Also, I am not hearing about timeouts being called and Hubert getting after the team very often. Shouldn't he be publicly demonstrating his displeasure a little more often?

yet the same ones keep getting 35-40 minutes per game. No consequences for mistakes is not only bad coaching but bad life lessons as well. I appreciate all of your input, and I'm not a coach. However, I have been a supervisor in a pretty demanding field, and if the same ones kept doing things differently than I said they were gonna be done, they'd be sidelined until they could conform.
Who do you replace them with? Will your chances of winning go up or down? If your approach is the correct one, what do you suppose happens when you can't be competitive with the replacements? Remember this: We had a HOF coach who had the same issues with the same players less 1. Think that uncoachable kids might have been a factor in his retirement? I know it was and is still an issue until said players leave the program. I am not interested in discussing the merits of each individual player, however my stating that there is a disconnect between the players is accurate.

Pete often just looks lost.
I've been saying this for months.

I don't think it's Pete's fault. Used better, he can be a solid contributor.

It's up to the coaches to use him better.

I'd like to ask you, Gary, and our other gurus, what plays are we running for which players? Followed by what plays should we be running for which players.

I could be way off base, but I think several of our guys need more plays run for them if they and the team are going to be better.

Who do you replace them with? Will your chances of winning go up or down? If your approach is the correct one, what do you suppose happens when you can't be competitive with the replacements? Remember this: We had a HOF coach who had the same issues with the same players less 1. Think that uncoachable kids might have been a factor in his retirement? I know it was and is still an issue until said players leave the program. I am not interested in discussing the merits of each individual player, however my stating that there is a disconnect between the players is accurate.
Not sure why they welcomed back a bunch of these kids for a redemption tour if they have been uncoachable for most of their time in the program.

Reactions: gobblercalls
I've been saying this for months.

I don't think it's Pete's fault. Used better, he can be a solid contributor.

It's up to the coaches to use him better.

I'd like to ask you, Gary, and our other gurus, what plays are we running for which players? Followed by what plays should we be running for which players.

I could be way off base, but I think several of our guys need more plays run for them if they and the team are going to be better.
Pete Nance would be a highly funtional player in a Roy Williams offensive scheme. After 23 games it has become brutally obvious that he IS NOT funtional in the scheme that Hubert Davis is playing.
Was a mistake made by Hubert and the staff in thinking Pete could thrive playing the 4 in this scheme? That seems to be the case, and that happens.
Now that it is obvious to most, you have two ways to turn. You can utilize him more as Roy would in a system Hubert coached in for 9 years, OR you can make a difficult, but needed decision to play other players at that spot.
Head coaching job comes with the responsibilities of making tough decisions for the good of the team.
Hubert needs to make one now, whichever way that is.

Reactions: Old_School59
Not sure why they welcomed back a bunch of these kids for a redemption tour if they have been uncoachable for most of their time in the program.
Had to have players and where were they going to go if not back to school? The NIL promised more money than what they would have gotten under any playing contract.
Time will tell whether I am right or wrong, but I gotta tell ya, I'm a little closer to what's going on than most and I have mentioned only bits and pieces, only hints.

Had to have players and where were they going to go if not back to school? The NIL promised more money than what they would have gotten under any playing contract.
Time will tell whether I am right or wrong, but I gotta tell ya, I'm a little closer to what's going on than most and I have mentioned only bits and pieces, only hints.
I won't just come out and ask you to spill about a possible Cadeau reclass, but you have " Hinted" pretty much all season ( And before Cadeau committed) that you thought our lack of a true pg would be solved soon.
I think this program is at a crossroads in which it would be tough to move ahead without a real fix at that position.
Can Wilcher move R.J. to shooting guard? Can you maybe give a percentage on the possibility of having Cadeau come in with Wilcher and High.

Reactions: gauchoheel
You can coach until your blue in the face and will be for naught unless those you have coached play the way they are coached. The team is not playing the way that they are practicing nor the way they are being coached to play.
I think you might have somewhat answered this above 75 but I would think at some point HD needs to make a point that if you're not going to play as coached then you need to sit. The tail aint sposed to be wagging the dog so to speak and it makes for a slippery slope going forward. Today's "kids" feel like they are entitled to something and if they don't get their way they move on. And you could lay a good bit of this garbage at the NCAA door step. But by the same token there are a lot of other D1 teams that do NOT have this particular problem.

Last edited:
I won't just come out and ask you to spill about a possible Cadeau reclass, but you have " Hinted" pretty much all season ( And before Cadeau committed) that you thought our lack of a true pg would be solved soon.
I think this program is at a crossroads in which it would be tough to move ahead without a real fix at that position.
Can Wilcher move R.J. to shooting guard? Can you maybe give a percentage on the possibility of having Cadeau come in with Wilcher and High.
I failed to mention another prominent name possibly in the mix next season, because I don't want to think of another year like the last 3.

This is what I referring to in another thread, when I said we weren't good at the fast break with the same players when Roy was HC.

Reactions: Tarheel75
Reclass is an option for Cadeau, but the decisions on those usually are not made until late summer. With that being said, I would not expect him to reclass.

I think you might have somewhat answered this above 75 but I would think at some point HD needs to make a point that if you're not going to play as coached then you need to sit. The tail aint sposed to be wagging the dog so to speak and it makes for a slippery slope going forward. Today's "kids" feel like they are entitled to something and if they don't get their way they move on. And you could lay a good bit of this garbage at the NCAA door step. But by the same token there are a lot of other D1 teams that do NOT have this particular problem.
I certainly understand when you think the tail is wagging the dog. What most don't realize, is what goes on behind the scenes. Most of which I am not going to protract in this forum, as it would be "out of school' for me to do so, and scenes change often, so it would be of no benefit to the program to air certain issues IYKWIM.
And for this and other reasons, is why I am adamantly against the arguments that
poor coaching is an issue. However, it is the right of any poster to have his/her opinions and to state them.

Reclass is an option for Cadeau, but the decisions on those usually are not made until late summer. With that being said, I would not expect him to reclass.
Thanks for your honesty. I think this prolongs a continued problem for another year if that is the case.
R.J. playing pg rather than shooting guard, weakens us at two positions.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Thanks for your honesty. I think this prolongs a continued problem for another year if that is the case.
R.J. playing pg rather than shooting guard, weakens us at two positions.
Don't get discouraged about a PG, as we can probably be ok playing PG by committee if RJ leaves. If he stays, you might be pleasantly surprised that RJ does a decent job in that slot.

I'm not sure I agree that RJ at PG weakens us, with what we have coming in and what's here already.

Don't get discouraged about a PG, as we can probably be ok playing PG by committee if RJ leaves. If he stays, you might be pleasantly surprised that RJ does a decent job in that slot.

I'm not sure I agree that RJ at PG weakens us, with what we have coming in and what's here already.
Weakens is the wrong word.
I don't necessarily think he is making the other 4 players jobs easier as their pg.
What I meant by making (2) positions weaker is:
I think R.J. playing the shooting guard position next season, would be better than anyone we have or will have.
Also if Cadeau were to reclass, I think him playing pg is better than R.J. playing it.
I love R.J. as a scoring guard that can play pg part time.

Reactions: gberry78
So how's that working out for us this season? That and that pg by committee garbage. And how is this not a coaching thing. If you wanna hide behind the couch with the "former player" tag then have at it but obfuscation of supposed insider info does not address any of the concerns in this thread so why not just leave the "cloak and dagger" bs for discussion amongst your circle? This group has serious problems (period). Be it coaches or players but as a HEAD COACH you address the issues or you're not doing the university or supporters of UNC athletics any fng favors. Just an outsiders opinion.

I am sorry but that is weak...

Who do we replace them with, frankly it doesn't matter, replace them with the last guys on that bench, put in the guys that don't have a scholly if you have to, It is more important NOW to gain control over YOUR Team than winning another basketball game. So we have un-coachable kids on this team, why? I don't blame a coach for bringing in a kid that does not accept the coaching, I blame that coach for allowing it to continue. I am no fan at all of K but when that Johnson kid showed he was going to play like he wanted he was booted from that team, that should be expected from any coach of any sport.

For you to say they are not playing in games as they are being taught in practice, knowing how experienced these starters are, sit back and hear what you just said? Listen to how weak kneed it is, ah, the players don't listen. As a coach, you deliver the needed message in your own style, you don't need to throw chairs and rant, you never saw Dean do such things, you never saw Dean needing to do such things yet his players played as they were taught. You share that these current players are NOT playing as they are taught, I tend to agree with that, they NOT playing as they are taught is an identified problem but it is not the core problem, it is the result of the core problem. There being no repercussions for not playing as taught consistently, that is the core of the problem and so here we are. Spare the rod, spoil the child...

So how's that working out for us this season? That and that pg by committee garbage. And how is this not a coaching thing. If you wanna hide behind the couch with the "former player" tag then have at it but obfuscation of supposed insider info does not address any of the concerns in this thread so why not just leave the "cloak and dagger" bs for discussion amongst your circle? This group has serious problems (period). Be it coaches or players but as a HEAD COACH you address the issues or you're not doing the university or supporters of UNC athletics any fng favors. Just an outsiders opinion.
Not working because we have serious disconnects that coaching might be able to patch but not resolve. I will let you deride my comments if that pleases you, but you do not know the half of what is taking place within our program currently. I have to be vague and Use "cloak & dagger" BS because I am limited in what I can divulge without repercussions. If enough folks, like yourself don't care for my posts, then they can say so as you have, and I will go silent. No skin of my nose.

From the kids perspective, I understand them coming back. NIL money versus G league or overseas. However, if the Coach doesn't feel that they fit their program, you have to be straight with them. This is how it's going to be if you come back next year type of thing.

If the Coach thought they were on the same page but was mistaken once the season started, that could make sense.

I am sorry but that is weak...

Who do we replace them with, frankly it doesn't matter, replace them with the last guys on that bench, put in the guys that don't have a scholly if you have to, It is more important NOW to gain control over YOUR Team than winning another basketball game. So we have un-coachable kids on this team, why? I don't blame a coach for bringing in a kid that does not accept the coaching, I blame that coach for allowing it to continue. I am no fan at all of K but when that Johnson kid showed he was going to play like he wanted he was booted from that team, that should be expected from any coach of any sport.

For you to say they are not playing in games as they are being taught in practice, knowing how experienced these starters are, sit back and hear what you just said? Listen to how weak kneed it is, ah, the players don't listen. As a coach, you deliver the needed message in your own style, you don't need to throw chairs and rant, you never saw Dean do such things, you never saw Dean needing to do such things yet his players played as they were taught. You share that these current players are NOT playing as they are taught, I tend to agree with that, they NOT playing as they are taught is an identified problem but it is not the core problem, it is the result of the core problem. There being no repercussions for not playing as taught consistently, that is the core of the problem and so here we are. Spare the rod, spoil the child...
Your entitled to your opinion David, however, you are wrong. Go listen to Caleb and RJ's post-game interviews after the game and tell me they don't admit to it.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
They need to make some 3's. They have been God awful in that area lately in two close losses, God awful with plenty of clean looks. Struggled there all year, lately it's horrid with better looks as defenses are playing off and focusing on taking other parts away.

Mando is a poor passer out of the block, but they have had many clean looks still, if we keep building condominiums with those looks, the hard doubles on Mando and staying home for Caleb driving is a no brainer.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT