ADVERTISEMENT

Next HC

kc2525

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2005
The next choice at HC could either set the program back into mediocrity or immediately catapult it back to the top of the food chain. Who are the likely candidates and who would we like to see?

We don't have the perfect situation where we have a very successful family guy at a big program.

Wes is the closest thing. He's a GREAT coach...he loves Roy and UNC...he's young and has done an amazing job at UNCG. He also just landed an ACC transfer.

We don't have the perfect situation where we have a very successful family guy at a big program.

Wes is the closest thing. He's a GREAT coach...he loves Roy and UNC...he's young and has done an amazing job at UNCG. He also just landed an ACC transfer.
And his brother is leaving. Wouldn’t his brother maybe stay if he was coming?

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the guy at Alabama? Would we consider him as a serious contender ?

Certainly would love to see Stevens - I think he'd be great at balancing doing things his way and acknowledging our traditions and keeping them alive. I fear we may instead be looking down the Duke sideline at him in the not-too-distant future. Would at least bring a touch of class to their HC position.

Wes Miller - sure why not? Young, up-and-coming, in family.

Two choices that are pretty different but both could be good for us.

If we poach some top level coach, I won't respect us and honestly will likely retire from following this sport as it will have devolved so much and this would be the final straw. This is UNC, we don't hire mercenaries who will leave at the next big opportunity or to try and fill a gap with someone with no respect or knowledge of our program, our tradition, our legacy.

It will take time no matter who steps into the gaping abyss that is Roy's shoes to fill and although Wes Miller may not be a "top coach" at present but he will work harder than anyone. He's young, has fire, has the bloodline and would do so much with the talent he'd have here.

ESPN’s resident mouth of the south, Steven A is pushing Levell Motten from a school “30 miles down the road, as someone the Tar Heels need to interview. He was all over this guy a short while ago. Talk about an idiot, but I digress. Out of the mix for many reasons are Hubert Davis, Jerry Stackhouse, Jay Wright, Brad Steven’s, and Rasheed Wallace, among others. I would hope Carolina forgets the Cancel Culture of today and they go after a high profile coach, with a proven winning record at a Division 1 school. I like some of the mid major schools coaches. Why not Loyalas coach? What about going after Scott Drew? Carolina is one of the all time Plum coaching jobs in America. There aren’t many other schools that have the name recognition/history of the Tar Heels. Who says we can’t go after and maybe snag Mark Few? Why not try? What about bringing back Jarrod Hasse? He is a Roy disciple after all. If the current AD gives in to this we gotta hire based on the cancel culture mentality currently running though the world, we will end up with another Shaka Smart. Anyone really want that?
This isn’t a time to try a social experiment, or make a social statement just to lose that tradition. It’s time to put on an all out press for a big name coach, or a young winner that with the Carolina name behind him, can recruit even better players to go along with the way he coaches. Hello Baylor?

If we poach some top level coach, I won't respect us and honestly will likely retire from following this sport as it will have devolved so much and this would be the final straw. This is UNC, we don't hire mercenaries who will leave at the next big opportunity or to try and fill a gap with someone with no respect or knowledge of our program, our tradition, our legacy.

It will take time no matter who steps into the gaping abyss that is Roy's shoes to fill and although Wes Miller may not be a "top coach" at present but he will work harder than anyone. He's young, has fire, has the bloodline and would do so much with the talent he'd have here.

sorry but thats ignorant. We dont have an easy choice this time where its a top 5 coach that is also an alum. This train of thinking is what brought us Matt Doherty. Only this time there isnt another Roy out there to dig us out of the hole when it inevitably goes south

Hearing not good things.
With how this all went down, my head says the next coach is currently on the bench. Not sure how I feel about that, as I always wanted Wes to take over. The circumstances don't add up to that being plausible and that is disappointing to say the least.

Reactions: Old_School59
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT