ADVERTISEMENT

Next HC

If Michigan could have faith in Jawan Howard there's no reason Carolina can't have faith in Hubert Davis. Both played college basketball at a high level and great programs, both played in the league, Hubert longer than Howard and both have spent extensive time as NBA assistants. Hubert was able to spend extensive time on the bench under Roy which Howard didn't have the luxury. Juwan Howard has done well so far and has one of the best recruiting classes coming in next year. There's no reason Hubert shouldn't have a shot. This is why he came back.

We know that he has not been successful as a shooting coach. Of course, that could be because Roy has persisted in focusing his recruiting on far too many athletes who simply are erratic shooters and always will be.
Can't blame shooting woes on Hubert Davis. Hubert Davis can only give you guidance and pointers, as a player you have to WANT to be a better shooter. Hubert can't shoot it for you.

Reactions: Jrupe59
If Michigan could have faith in Jawan Howard there's no reason Carolina can't have faith in Hubert Davis. Both played college basketball at a high level and great programs, both played in the league, Hubert longer than Howard and both have spent extensive time as NBA assistants. Hubert was able to spend extensive time on the bench under Roy which Howard didn't have the luxury. Juwan Howard has done well so far and has one of the best recruiting classes coming in next year. There's no reason Hubert shouldn't have a shot. This is why he came back.

FondTangibleAlaskajingle-max-1mb.gif

I hope this board one day learns the difference between "exceptions" and "rules"

• Haha
Reactions: tarheel0910
Maybe it's a buffer situation like Coach Smith wanted with Coach Guthridge. Let someone currently on the bench take over for a year or 2, then let Wes slide in.
Wes cannot pick up any additional needed experience to be UNC HC with 2 or 3 or 5 more years at UNCG. he's already the best HC in UNCG history.

If they intend to give it to Wes, then they should do so tomorrow. If the potential HR hires all back away, then they can give it to Wes on Easter Monday.

But they need to focus on the HR hires.

Correct. Dean retired at a time when Baddour almost had 0 choice but to give it to Gut.
And if Roy was going to pull a "Dean" and hand the reins to Hubert (or Coach Rob), then why didn't he wait until October like Coach Smith did?

It's always possible that Roy is giving Bubba plenty of time to interview legit candidates and make the best decision going forward. One can hope...

Recruiting is going to be fascinating. The half court system has needed a facelift emphasizing more skill than athleticism IMO. I still think size is a vital part of the college game and the rules and the way it's officiated creates advantages for you that don't exist in the NBA.

One reason we don't have a lot of NBA equity is our guys can't shoot. The ones who can typically get drafted and stick around in the NBA. 3-and-D gets you in the NBA. Unless you have Russell Westbrook athleticism, that doesn't make you last in the NBA.

It's going to be interesting because I think an evolving strategy was required. But at the same time, Roy's system was absolutely successful.

I hope this board one day learns the difference between "exceptions" and "rules"
People today rarely understand math. so they cannot quite grasp percentages. And they cannot get a handle on how exceptions prove rules.

ESPN’s resident mouth of the south, Steven A is pushing Levell Motten from a school “30 miles down the road, as someone the Tar Heels need to interview. He was all over this guy a short while ago. Talk about an idiot, but I digress. Out of the mix for many reasons are Hubert Davis, Jerry Stackhouse, Jay Wright, Brad Steven’s, and Rasheed Wallace, among others. I would hope Carolina forgets the Cancel Culture of today and they go after a high profile coach, with a proven winning record at a Division 1 school. I like some of the mid major schools coaches. Why not Loyalas coach? What about going after Scott Drew? Carolina is one of the all time Plum coaching jobs in America. There aren’t many other schools that have the name recognition/history of the Tar Heels. Who says we can’t go after and maybe snag Mark Few? Why not try? What about bringing back Jarrod Hasse? He is a Roy disciple after all. If the current AD gives in to this we gotta hire based on the cancel culture mentality currently running though the world, we will end up with another Shaka Smart. Anyone really want that?
This isn’t a time to try a social experiment, or make a social statement just to lose that tradition. It’s time to put on an all out press for a big name coach, or a young winner that with the Carolina name behind him, can recruit even better players to go along with the way he coaches. Hello Baylor?

Hello Baylor?? lol. You serious Clark?

Is there something in particular about Davis that makes him unappealing? I'd rather have a proven, experienced head coach too (Beard, Drew), but just wondering if this reaction is about hiring any assistant coach or some quality of Davis?

As a fan I feel like I have no idea how good or not good Davis would be, but others seem more sure.

Edit: This is a general question btw and not just for RoseHeel.

Is there something in particular about Davis that makes him unappealing? I'd rather have a proven, experienced head coach too (Beard, Drew), but just wondering if this reaction is about hiring any assistant coach or some quality of Davis?

As a fan I feel like I have no idea how good or not good Davis would be, but others seem more sure.

When I'm hiring for a high level job... I usually have this first criteria checked before I even call for an interview: has the candidate ever held a similar position... Hubert has never coached a division 1 NCAA basketball game in his life.

Can't blame shooting woes on Hubert Davis. Hubert Davis can only give you guidance and pointers, as a player you have to WANT to be a better shooter. Hubert can't shoot it for you.
That's like saying you can't blame losing on coaches because players failed to do what it takes to win.

Mark Few in the WCC is not the same as Mark Few in the ACC. I dunno why in the world Few would ever want to leave the ideal situation in Spokane!
He will not. He is an avid field sportsman who finds that area ideal for his off season.

When I'm hiring for a high level job... I usually have this first criteria checked before I even call for an interview: has the candidate ever held a similar position... Hubert has never coached a division 1 NCAA basketball game in his life.
Yep. Even 3 years as a winning HC in the Atlantic Sun is better than 0 HC experience.

2 things to bear in mind:

1) Dean retired in October, just before the start of practice that season. Gut was really the only option at that point (and was what Dean wanted). So talk of an interim or short-term hire in April doesn't make sense. Bubba Cunningham has plenty of time to conduct a wide-ranging search.

2) Roy had no head coaching experience when he went to Kansas, and Ol' Roy done purty good. Hubert Davis played for Dean Smith, played for Pat Riley, and coached with Roy Williams. That's a pretty good tutoring team should UNC go that way.

He has 0 HC experience. He has been an assistant on a mediocre UNC staff, which is a far cry from being the Associate HC on a great UNC staff.

The family culture of Carolina basketball is its biggest differentiator to other top programs. That is all a credit to DES and for me at least is the reason it’s the only team in any sport that I have a real emotional connection to. I hope the new hire has a connection to and understanding of that culture. To lose it would be personally sadden me and convert a connection I have with my father and my son to a memory. We shall see.

Reactions: uncfanatic and Geth
If UNC doesn't hire Wes Miller this time around, he is young enough to be an option in 4-5 years should the next head coach not work out.

Reactions: gauchoheel
2 things to bear in mind:

1) Dean retired in October, just before the start of practice that season. Gut was really the only option at that point (and was what Dean wanted). So talk of an interim or short-term hire in April doesn't make sense. Bubba Cunningham has plenty of time to conduct a wide-ranging search.

2) Roy had no head coaching experience when he went to Kansas, and Ol' Roy done purty good. Hubert Davis played for Dean Smith, played for Pat Riley, and coached with Roy Williams. That's a pretty good tutoring team should UNC go that way.
Roy also was going to be given time at KU because Larry Brown left a mess, as is typical of Larry Brown. But there is also this key factor: Roy had been the top assistant for Dean for years, when the UNC staff was the best in the country. Gut may have held the title in 1989 but everybody who knew the program knew that Gut worked with the Bigs and was Dean's right hand, Dean's shadow, as it were, while Roy was the real top assistant in that he had already mastered how to run the whole shebang. Roy was then better prepared to leave than Eddie Fogler had been.

Davis today is about as prepared to be a P6 HC as Roy would have been in about 1979. Davis is just another nondescript assistant on a mediocre staff.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
If UNC doesn't hire Wes Miller this time around, he is young enough to be an option in 4-5 years should the next head coach not work out.
In 4 or 5 years Wes Miller could be a winning coach at a Major conference school. If he does not get the UNC job this time, then he should be actively pursuing better jobs starting next week. He's done all that can be done at UNCG.

If I'm Bubba Cunningham, I make the obligatory inquiries to Mark Few & Brad Stevens (who'll both decline), Billy Donovan & Chris Holtmann (either of whom might be interested). But I also make plans to interview Hubert and Wes.

Love Jerry Stackhouse and Jerod Haase, but neither has won enough at their respective schools to be a top candidate.

That optionality would make me lean away from Wes if we can get someone more proven in a power conference.

M

The burden of proof should not be on me because no one has yet to explain what actually makes him appealing.

What he said does not speak to Hubert's qualities, it simply points to this one fringe scenario at one particular place and says "well it worked this one time, so it could work here". That doesn't say anything about Hubert himself and we are not Michigan any more than Juwan Howard is Hubert Davis.

What does Hubert legitimately have that should qualify him for the job? Served under Roy for 10 years? If all it takes to succeed is serving under a HoF HC then why did CB fail at UNCW? Furthermore, what about the guys with minimal to mininal to no prior coaching experience that went to Blue Bloods that it didn't work out for? Ollie? Mike Davis @ IU? DOHERTY RING A BELL???

Let's really think about this for a second: There's not a single D1 program out there who has tried to acquire Hubert once in his 9 years. Even McGrath got picked over him. Yet he should be at the top of the HC list for the most coveted job in College Basketball? If this were Duke, we'd be laughing at them and praying it come true. Which is exactly what some other fanbases are doing to us right now so that we don't actually take their coach.

And even if you ignore all of that, he's not even the best guy in the damn family. Haase has an actual proven track record and has improved every year at both UAB and Stanford. Miller is considered one of the best coaches under 40. Both of them should be higher than Davis, neither of which should be considered Plan As.

I have nothing against Hubert personally. But this is the only program in College Basketball that favors nepotism when it comes to coaching. Even when there are plenty of other options out there. This is the same vein of argument as the people who say they prefer 3 star players over 5 stars. It's a damn joke. Just like the people who make this argument.

Stackhouse will never likely win big at Vandy, despite his best efforts. But he should be considered as that job has been a great learning experience.
I second the notion that Donovan would be a great get.
I also like Brad Frederick but would have preferred he left UNC for a HC job prior to this opportunity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT