ADVERTISEMENT

Next HC

Saying he got it only for his race isn't right but it def could been a factor. And no, he is NOT more than qualified. Either was Stack, Wes, any of the Carolina guys. But id say Wes was the most qualified amongst them.
Wes miller ain't done shit!!..at least stack won a championship coaching against way better competition than some mid major bs!!..

Let’s assume that Brad Steven’s interviewed for the job also. What reason would you give if Steven’s said he would accept and it was given to Davis?
There is a little thing called “Logic” that I see suddenly missing from this entire retirement to this hire.
Why would Stevens take the job? Logic is important, and cherry-picking the best coaches and saying, "the new coach isn't him" isn't very logical or helpful.

Who was more qualified that was offered the job, or indicated they would take it?

Saying he got it because of his race is pretty disgusting, to be honest. The man comes with impeccable personal credentials, and it appears one of the best coaches in college basketball history gave him his seal of endorsement. Few, if any, people who know him personally have questioned the hire. He is familiar with program, has connections throughout the sport, bleeds UNC blue, and brings a continuity to Roy's tenure - one of, if not the most successful tenure in UNC history.

He is more than qualified to have the position.

I have no doubt his race will be brought into every discussion, and god forbid he start slow, but hopefully the voices are louder that view him for his performance than his looks.

Your post was so well played I had to read it twice! :)

Yep..a closet racist opinion..who said anything about fighting.. I would prefer a purge!!
Who was more qualified that was offered the job, or indicated they would take it?

Saying he got it because of his race is pretty disgusting, to be honest. The man comes with impeccable personal credentials, and it appears one of the best coaches in college basketball history gave him his seal of endorsement. Few, if any, people who know him personally have questioned the hire. He is familiar with program, has connections throughout the sport, bleeds UNC blue, and brings a continuity to Roy's tenure - one of, if not the most successful tenure in UNC history.

He is more than qualified to have the position.

I have no doubt his race will be brought into every discussion, and god forbid he start slow, but hopefully the voices are louder that view him for his performance than his looks.
Needs restating.
Well done.

Reactions: Sk1310
Saying he got it only for his race isn't right but it def could been a factor. And no, he is NOT more than qualified. Either was Stack, Wes, any of the Carolina guys. But id say Wes was the most qualified amongst them.
I'm not going to get into a game of who was more qualified because there's definitely an argument Hubert was a better hire, and we don't know who was asked and said no. The point is saying he was hired because of a woke culture, or because of his race is insensitive, wrong, and pure speculation. It benefits no one and really reflects poorly on the speaker.

I don’t think Hubert was hired because of race. I think he was hired because the current players wanted him and Roy wanted him. Hubert loves UNC and that’s real. I don’t think he was the best coach available, but he was the one who got the shot. I want him to win and UNC to prosper.

I'm not going to get into a game of who was more qualified because there's definitely an argument Hubert was a better hire, and we don't know who was asked and said no. The point is saying he was hired because of a woke culture, or because of his race is insensitive, wrong, and pure speculation. It benefits no one and really reflects poorly on the speaker.
No one said he was Only hired because of his race. You truly know that if Wes was hired over him tho race would again have been brought up, unfortunately. It goes both ways.

lol...He's trying so hard too! :)
Don't really gotta try when responding to stupid responses calling everyone against the Hubert hire a closet racist. You both sound stupid. I know u r butthurt about Stack tho. Maybe we can add him to the staff when he gets canned for another awful season.

Don't really gotta try when responding to stupid responses calling everyone against the Hubert hire a closet racist. You both sound stupid. I know u r butthurt about Stack tho. Maybe we can add him to the staff when he gets canned for another awful season.

Yessirrr..lol...im sitting down enjoying the Baylor/Gonzag game with my son while eating Pasticcio Ice Cream....Yep, I'm so Buttthurt! LMAOFFFFFF!

Wasn't Kevin Keatts considered a good hire? Came from Rick Pitinos coaching tree, had success at a mid major?
This should not turn into a piss on Wes thread either, but his mid major 2 NCAA bids in 10 years resume in no way made him a clear choice over the groomed top recruiter at UNC. If you preferred him, okay, but looking for how he was a clear choice is ridiculous.

He is Archie Miller light, well very light with accomplishments and or the hype, lower level mid major with less success, before Miller left Dayton for Indiana and was a dumpster fire there throughout.

Wes is no victim here, and some of the reasoning given here for the Davis hiring speak volumes.

Reactions: Sk1310
This should not turn into a piss on Wes thread either, but his mid major 2 NCAA bids in 10 years resume in no way made him a clear choice over the groomed top recruiter at UNC. If you preferred him, okay, but looking for how he was a clear choice is ridiculous.

He is Archie Miller light, well very light with accomplishments and or the hype, lower level mid major with less success, before Miller left Dayton for Indiana and was a dumpster fire there throughout.

Wes is no victim here, and some of the reasoning given here for the Davis hiring speak volumes.

I was not that excited about Wes.. just think he was more qualified than Hubert. Wanted someone with head coaching experience. I would think a job like UNC would be able to attract an established coach.

Reactions: gd15nc
Man some of the veils are really being lifted here right now. Wow. All I know is Hubert crushed his interview on Gameday and I think he made a very good pitch for himself. He made it very clear he is going to do it HIS WAY and he understands how the game is being played right now. While he made it clear he is going to keep the Carolina foundation in his coaching, it sounds like he has adapted his thinking to today’s game. Being on ESPN has clearly groomed him on how to talk to people. Most coaches are not as personable as he came across. That could be big for recruiting. Time will tell obviously, but I liked what I heard. It also looks like he has support not only from our current roster, but incoming recruits as well.

Whether some of you like it or not he’s the coach. End of story. Maybe people can spend time thinking about what the rest of the staff will look like? Might be a more productive conversation versus crying because you didn’t get your pick. All of this coming from grown ass adults. No wonder the younger generations are a mess.

Man some of the veils are really being lifted here right now. Wow. All I know is Hubert crushed his interview on Gameday and I think he made a very good pitch for himself. He made it very clear he is going to do it HIS WAY and he understands how the game is being played right now. While he made it clear he is going to keep the Carolina foundation in his coaching, it sounds like he has adapted his thinking to today’s game. Being on ESPN has clearly groomed him on how to talk to people. Most coaches are not as personable as he came across. That could be big for recruiting. Time will tell obviously, but I liked what I heard. It also looks like he has support not only from our current roster, but incoming recruits as well.

Whether some of you like it or not he’s the coach. End of story. Maybe people can spend time thinking about what the rest of the staff will look like? Might be a more productive conversation versus crying because you didn’t get your pick. All of this coming from grown ass adults. No wonder the younger generations are a mess.
While I somewhat agree with you, you obviously assumed everyone on here is grown. Huge mistake LOL

it's going outside the family. Hubert has no interest, Coach Rob is going to retire with Roy.

Man I was trusting your sources lol. Good luck Hubert. Just don’t think bubba cast the net too far outside of the Carolina family kinda went with the safe hire

Last edited:
I got a text from a guy I work with.. he said "now you know what it feels like to be a State fan."

I know the hire really hasn’t sent shockwaves with our rivals but hopefully Hubert can change that. Btw we have a two game winning streak against dook so don’t screw it up and we always beat moou so hmmmm. Man pressure on Hubert. We will never feel like cow college

I know the hire really hasn’t sent shockwaves with our rivals but hopefully Hubert can change that. Btw we have a two game winning streak against dook so don’t screw it up and we always beat moou so hmmmm. Man pressure on Hubert. We will never feel like cow college
NC State fans or any ACC school is rich, really. Hilarious. Seems prudent to wait until they actually beat us once even under HD to start talking junk. Hiring HD has nothing to do with "how it feels to be an NC State fan". I don't think it is possible for any hire to regress to the level of being an NC State level coach. That would be a legendary collapse that I would strongly bet against happening under HD>

I'm not sure a racist could root for a team that has had roughly 75% Black American players the last 30 years. I want the best players on the floor regardless of race.. I want the best coaches regardless of race.

Shhhhh...common sense is not allowed in a discussion about race. Either you're a racist or you're a racist. Those are the only 2 options.

Not sure if this was posted, but awesome interview with the college game day crew yesterday.
https://www.tarheeltimes.com/article123806.aspx
I saw that interview and it was actually helpful to my fan heart. He came across as very genuine, connected to UNC family, but also determined to adapt to modern game and put his spin on things. He also came across as super at ease with the cameras and spotlight, which was nice to see.

Man I was trusting your sources lol. Good luck Hubert. Just don’t think bubba cast the net too far outside of the Carolina family kinda went with the safe hire

i hear ya. Few was definitely contacted, likely by Roy before the announcement was made and to guage his interest. Bubba interviewed 8 people including 2 from outside the UNC family. it became evident that with Few out of the picture, Roy was pressuring the chancellor and Bubba to promote HD. i'm not sure Bubba even had a chance to truly look elsewhere.

Reactions: Heelicious
I saw that interview and it was actually helpful to my fan heart. He came across as very genuine, connected to UNC family, but also determined to adapt to modern game and put his spin on things. He also came across as super at ease with the cameras and spotlight, which was nice to see.

Agree with everything you said

Reactions: Archer2
ditto. How can you listen to that interview and not love HD. The way he got along with the ESPN guys in the interview was telling. I think most everyone who meets him likes him. Let's just hope he can coach.

He does have the respect of basically all the players past, current, future - and coaches, etc. He has to have some pride and ego for what he's accomplished and where he is now, but I don't think he has the ego or is a headcase / abrasive like a lot of coaches who lose it every time they lose a game they should win, or are questioned about anything. You know who I am talking about.

I loved the parts where he talked about doing things his own way, and adapting to the game as the game evolves. I just don't think you'd ever hear Roy acknowledge that.

I also like how he showed examples (with his eventual scholarship from Dean, and going from a borderline D1 scholarship to a college and NBA great) - of him doing whatever it takes, whatever is within his power to succeed, if just given the opportunity.

Then the funny thing about asking LaPhonso if he can shoot, about 3-4 times. "We don't need any screeners!" Hilarious and true.

Sounds like the most qualified weren't interested.

If you are looking at those under discussion whom we think would have taken the job - Hubert, Wes and Stack - we also rejected one Black guy.

As I tried to suggest earlier, each of those guys has good points and unknowns. Saying everyone knows that Wes was the most qualified is a huge stretch. Comparably qualified? Sure. But there's not a clear separation in the public record.

Besides, if it came down to a coin flip and Hubert was nudged across the finish line because of his race, I'm not bothered by that. In fact, I'm pretty happy that UNC beat Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc. to the punch. Reminds me of Dean bringing Charlie Scott on board.
if it came down to a coin flip, I'd probably go ahead and flip the coin. What I'm looking for at this point though isn't to commiserate with others over a supposedly weak hire, but rather to look forward to a possibly amazing one. Nobody really knows what Hubert is capable of. The die is cast, might as well just let 'er rip.

I wonder if he wishes K had invited him to be the heir apparent at Duke. I wonder if O-face has the job nailed down. There are a few more options in K's tree.
I think he’s content where he is. Knight Lite is going to be a tough act to follow. I just hope they don’t get Stephens.
You can only be young once, but you can be immature all your life.
Amen.

I think he’s content where he is. Knight Lite is going to be a tough act to follow. I just hope they don’t get Stephens.

Amen.

My dook buddies back in Durham want Stephen’s bad & were hoping like hell we didn’t get him first. They also believe though, that they will keep it in the family & Scheyer seems to be the guy they’re grooming. If so, going to go from Rat Face to just “The Face”.

Nobody really knows what Hubert is capable of. The die is cast, might as well just let 'er rip.
Exactly.

We've heard the doom and gloom arguments. But Hubert is now our coach. We won't know for a while how good he'll be, but there are plenty of reasons to feel optimistic.

So I think I'll try feeling optimistic.

Reactions: Heelicious
lmao... gtfooh with that BS. hubert was hired away from ESPN by roy for a reason.. and it wasnt to knit baskets and get the car warmed up on recruiting trips... he hired him to take over the program when he stepped down. it has absolutely nothing to do with his skin color.
Hubert checked all the boxes for Roy... in family, pro player, solid communicator/recruiter and protege.

did he have the experience others did? No. But they likely didnt have the experience that Hubert did either. Roy thought that was enough and pushed him forward to be his successor.

Reactions: dtodd4475
absolutely comical the sentiment that his not being a HC somehow should eliminate him from consideration... and was done primarily cuz he was black...

is he the only guy to go from an Asst Coach to a HC in NCAA Division I basketball?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT