ADVERTISEMENT

Next HC

The burden of proof should not be on me because no one has yet to explain what actually makes him appealing.

What he said does not speak to Hubert's qualities, it simply points to this one fringe scenario at one particular place and says "well it worked this one time, so it could work here". That doesn't say anything about Hubert himself and we are not Michigan any more than Juwan Howard is Hubert Davis.

What does Hubert legitimately have that should qualify him for the job? Served under Roy for 10 years? If all it takes to succeed is serving under a HoF HC then why did CB fail at UNCW? Furthermore, what about the guys with minimal to mininal to no prior coaching experience that went to Blue Bloods that it didn't work out for? Ollie? Mike Davis @ IU? DOHERTY RING A BELL???

Let's really think about this for a second: There's not a single D1 program out there who has tried to acquire Hubert once in his 9 years. Even McGrath got picked over him. Yet he should be at the top of the HC list for the most coveted job in College Basketball? If this were Duke, we'd be laughing at them and praying it come true. Which is exactly what some other fanbases are doing to us right now so that we don't actually take their coach.

And even if you ignore all of that, he's not even the best guy in the damn family. Haase has an actual proven track record and has improved every year at both UAB and Stanford. Miller is considered one of the best coaches under 40. Both of them should be higher than Davis, neither of which should be considered Plan As.

I have nothing against Hubert personally. But this is the only program in College Basketball that favors nepotism when it comes to coaching. Even when there are plenty of other options out there. This is the same vein of argument as the people who say they prefer 3 star players over 5 stars. It's a damn joke. Just like the people who make this argument.
I agree 100%. Hubert Davis had nothing about him that qualified him as a good ASSISTANT coach hire, let alone a head coach!

The logic of "what makes him so unappealing" is, by itself, unappealing! You don't choose a position like the head coach at UNC based on the absence of a lack of appeal! It's hilarious to even think that way, in my opinion.

There are at least a half-dozen more qualified UNC-tree coaches to consider. All of them are young and proving themselves in head coaching roles.

Holy cow.. some folks are mentioning Tony Bennett. No thank you to "3 yards and a cloud of dust"
He's not coming to UNC, but I'd be thrilled if he did! He WINS games! He does it with less talent, too! He's been beating-up on UNC and Duke for years now. He also won an NCAA Tournament a year ago. Forgive me for enjoying a young, winning coach. You can bet your ass UVA wants him to stay for as long as he wants!

The burden of proof should not be on me because no one has yet to explain what actually makes him appealing.

What he said does not speak to Hubert's qualities, it simply points to this one fringe scenario at one particular place and says "well it worked this one time, so it could work here". That doesn't say anything about Hubert himself and we are not Michigan any more than Juwan Howard is Hubert Davis.

What does Hubert legitimately have that should qualify him for the job? Served under Roy for 10 years? If all it takes to succeed is serving under a HoF HC then why did CB fail at UNCW? Furthermore, what about the guys with minimal to mininal to no prior coaching experience that went to Blue Bloods that it didn't work out for? Ollie? Mike Davis @ IU? DOHERTY RING A BELL???

Let's really think about this for a second: There's not a single D1 program out there who has tried to acquire Hubert once in his 9 years. Even McGrath got picked over him. Yet he should be at the top of the HC list for the most coveted job in College Basketball? If this were Duke, we'd be laughing at them and praying it come true. Which is exactly what some other fanbases are doing to us right now so that we don't actually take their coach.

And even if you ignore all of that, he's not even the best guy in the damn family. Haase has an actual proven track record and has improved every year at both UAB and Stanford. Miller is considered one of the best coaches under 40. Both of them should be higher than Davis, neither of which should be considered Plan As.

I have nothing against Hubert personally. But this is the only program in College Basketball that favors nepotism when it comes to coaching. Even when there are plenty of other options out there. This is the same vein of argument as the people who say they prefer 3 star players over 5 stars. It's a damn joke. Just like the people who make this argument.
Oh I agree with the general sentiment. I wonder if it'd change anything if Roy heavily recommends Hubert (not saying he has or will). I just feel like we as fans have so little insight into assistants; Hubert could be really great or totally mediocre, and I wouldn't know.

I wouldn't necessarily judge on Hubert not leaving for a small conference job though. I'd rather be a UNC assistant than head coach at UNC-W. For one, we pay as much for assistants as a head coach there (C.B. got $300k per year at UNC-W; Hubert makes ~$280k and Robinson $435k according to a 2018 FOIA request). Two, the head job at a small school sets you up for failure and hurts your career trajectory. If I were Hubert, there's probably only 30-40 or so head jobs I would take (i.e. does coaching at Boston College or Nebraska really help your career?), and only a handful of those come open each year.

I hope we get the best coach though. Doesn't matter to me much if he has UNC ties.

He's not coming to UNC, but I'd be thrilled if he did! He WINS games! He does it with less talent, too! He's been beating-up on UNC and Duke for years now. He also won an NCAA Tournament a year ago. Forgive me for enjoying a young, winning coach. You can bet your ass UVA wants him to stay for as long as he wants!

He has owned Roy for the last 5 or 6 years.

Bennett... no thanks. I respect and like him but his style would drive me nuts.
I don't particularly care for that style, because I'm used to a faster game. But, that coach is gone. I'd rather win games scoring 60 than lose them scoring 80. Bennett is a winner. He'd be nuts to leave UVA, however.

This talk of Few, Wright, Bennett, etc., is BS. Those guys are not leaving the perfect system they have worked extremely hard to establish just to start anew in Chapel Hill where the scrutiny is amped-up higher than they ever knew before!

The style sucks but he would be a great hire and with what he has done at UVA he would be really hard to beat at Carolina.
And, can you imagine the HATRED of UVA fans if that happened??? There might be a border war! Bennett is not leaving UVA. Few is not leaving Gonzaga, Wright is not leaving Villanova and Brad Stevens isn't coming here, either. And, thank goodness Shaka Smart is going to Marquette.

Reactions: notashelbyfan
Steve Robinson has been by Roy’s side for many years and seems like the logical choice if Miller is not taken
Robinson is who I would bet my money on, at the moment. I won't be looking forward to the season, but that's my gut feeling.

ETA: I'll amend this to say maybe Wes Miller... or, Nate Oats if they go outside the UNC Tree, which I highly doubt they will do.

Robinson is who I would bet my money on, at the moment. I won't be looking forward to the season, but that's my gut feeling.

ETA: I'll amend this to say maybe Wes Miller... or, Nate Oats if they go outside the UNC Tree, which I highly doubt they will do.
Robinson will retire with Roy

Please not Davis....Please be Wes
ok gang.. Why not H. Davis?? No head coaching experience, just a assistant coach.. blah, blah, blah.. and all the other crap I'm hearing. First of all, let me stop you all right in your tracks!!!!!!! Do u remember a certain Assistant coach who was on UNC's bench(just like Hubert) that got hired at a major program with no head coaching experience????? Well let me help you. His name was Roy Williams.. and that worked out pretty damn well didn't it! H.D. is a great man and has learned a ton from Roy for 12 years as his assistant! He played in the NBA and would have some clout with the younger kids because he played in the League. He's a great man, with great morals and values, and It's a hire "in the family" plus he's both a Dean and Roy disciple!! So he played for Dean and coached under Roy, that's a double if u ask me!!!! So be Careful what u say.. this could be looked back on in time has not only a home run, but a Grand Slam!! Hubert may be able to recruit the black athlete better as well. I see so many positives!! - Now having said all that, I want more of a "splash hire" as well!!! Mark Few or Brad Stephens, etc but if they don't happen I can see how a HD hire may be way better then all you think. I suspect if HD does get his chance many of u will have to eat crow down the road. Just my 2 cents.. nothing against anyone here. We all have a right to our opinions and we're all Tar Heels!

Go Heels!

Reactions: ltrogdon
From USA Today. Take this to the bank folks..

"According to a person who knows Williams, who spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the topic, he has been increasingly frustrated recently with the direction of college basketball. With the NCAA about to grant players a one-time free transfer and the liberalization of name, image and likeness rights that will allow players to cash in on marketing deals, the days of any program — even a blueblood like North Carolina — just falling out of bed and making the Sweet 16 are over.

And at age 70, Williams decided he’d had enough".

Steve Robinson will be 64 before the start of the season. That's not a long term option. I could see Robinson staying if UNC hired Wes Miller to help mentor him, but otherwise I see him retiring with Roy.

I would like to see Wes Miller and keep the current coaching staff to help him transition and succeed.

No way Rick Barnes is the coach - yes he is from Hickory but his history with Dean. No way the big dogs sitting court side allow that to happen.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
How do y’all think someone “outside the family” would be welcomed? Lots of dean/Roy/unc traditions would prob go away. Both on the court and in the office. I would anticipate lots of resistance and a very very short leash that the big names won’t be interested in being subjected to.

Reactions: Heelicious
ok gang.. Why not H. Davis?? No head coaching experience, just a assistant coach.. blah, blah, blah.. and all the other crap I'm hearing. First of all, let me stop you all right in your tracks!!!!!!! Do u remember a certain Assistant coach who was on UNC's bench(just like Hubert) that got hired at a major program with no head coaching experience????? Well let me help you. His name was Roy Williams.. and that worked out pretty damn well didn't it! H.D. is a great man and has learned a ton from Roy for 12 years as his assistant! He played in the NBA and would have some clout with the younger kids because he played in the League. He's a great man, with great morals and values, and It's a hire "in the family" plus he's both a Dean and Roy disciple!! So he played for Dean and coached under Roy, that's a double if u ask me!!!! So be Careful what u say.. this could be looked back on in time has not only a home run, but a Grand Slam!! Hubert may be able to recruit the black athlete better as well. I see so many positives!! - Now having said all that, I want more of a "splash hire" as well!!! Mark Few or Brad Stephens, etc but if they don't happen I can see how a HD hire may be way better then all you think. I suspect if HD does get his chance many of u will have to eat crow down the road. Just my 2 cents.. nothing against anyone here. We all have a right to our opinions and we're all Tar Heels!

Go Heels!

Hubert Davis is 50 right now with no HC experience. Roy was barely older than 50 when he came to UNC with multiple final fours and NCAA title game berths under his belt. Just saying Hubert right now is not quite an apples to apples comparison to when Roy went to Kansas probably 10 years younger. Think we could do worse than Hubert but I would prefer Wes in family. And if it's Hubert I'm not quitting on us and will hopefully be at the crow eating table.

know this, Bubba is an "outside the family" guy. Few will be / has been offered ... same for Stevens. i have my opinion as to what will happen but will keep that to myself for now.

prior to 10am this morning no one besides Roy and Bubba knew this was coming. at 10am an email was sent to all former players and a Zoom meeting was called for all current players/coaches to notify them.

Coach Robinson is about as over the hill as Coach Roy. Stackhouse is 20-37 at Vanderbilt.

Brad Frederick has more experience than Hubert Davis. Frederick spent 14 years on Kevin Stallings staff at Vanderbilt (which, unlike Vandy under Stackhouse, was when Vandy won). Frederick has just one year less as UNC assistant than Davis has. Like Davis, Frederick is now part of a mediocre UNC staff.

Of course, nobody is mentioning Frederick for UNC HC, while everybody and his grandmama is touting Davis.

Steve Robinson will be 64 before the start of the season. That's not a long term option. I could see Robinson staying if UNC hired Wes Miller to help mentor him, but otherwise I see him retiring with Roy.

I would like to see Wes Miller and keep the current coaching staff to help him transition and succeed.
Robinson should retire with Roy. A new HC needs his staff and especially needs his own Associate HC.

lol, i was about to say...there are no more bridges left.
Rick Barnes is not going to be UNC HC. If they are serious about hiring a current SEC HC, surely they are looking at Arkansas's Eric Musselman and Bama's Nate Oats.

Reactions: gd15nc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT