ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Offseason Thread

Blue2010

Hall of Famer
Aug 8, 2010
Panthers released Mike Tolbert today. Sucks to see him go, but it was time.

Victor Cruz meeting with the Panthers too -- not sure what he has left in the tank, but good slot receiver...would be a big help with Cam getting the ball out faster. Solid addition if they can pull it off.

Panthers released Mike Tolbert today. Sucks to see him go, but it was time.

Victor Cruz meeting with the Panthers too -- not sure what he has left in the tank, but good slot receiver...would be a big help with Cam getting the ball out faster. Solid addition if they can pull it off.

Speaking of RBs in Carolina, are the Panthers going to draft Fournette? Stewart's done and that Artis-Payne isn't a workhorse back. I'm asking for the purposes of Fantasy football (never too early to start strategizing for the draft). I love Fournette and think he'll be an absolute monster - even as early as his rookie year.

Speaking of RBs in Carolina, are the Panthers going to draft Fournette? Stewart's done and that Artis-Payne isn't a workhorse back. I'm asking for the purposes of Fantasy football (never too early to start strategizing for the draft). I love Fournette and think he'll be an absolute monster - even as early as his rookie year.

I would LOVE to see them draft Fournette...even D.Cook (FSU) would be a slam dunk IMO. They have a few needs on the roster, obviously, but RB is the most glaring one. They have a real opportunity to sure up that spot for the next 5-8 years with a legit Pro-Bowl caliber talent. I hope Gettleman doesn't screw that up and gamble on another defensive end.

I would LOVE to see them draft Fournette...even D.Cook (FSU) would be a slam dunk IMO. They have a few needs on the roster, obviously, but RB is the most glaring one. They have a real opportunity to sure up that spot for the next 5-8 years with a legit Pro-Bowl caliber talent. I hope Gettleman doesn't screw that up and gamble on another defensive end.

Agreed. Cook is going to be a monster too. I like both of those guys - depending on the team that drafts them - as high as second round picks in next year's fantasy draft.

I didn't get to really see any LF games in college, only highlights. But isn't Cook supposed to be a better pass catching type RB? I would prefer that option so that Cam has someone to dump off to instead of holding the ball too long (which he has a bad habit of doing).

I didn't get to really see any LF games in college, only highlights. But isn't Cook supposed to be a better pass catching type RB? I would prefer that option so that Cam has someone to dump off to instead of holding the ball too long (which he has a bad habit of doing).

Yes, and Cook is someone that could catch a screen pass (if Shula were to ever actually call one) and take it the distance... But Fournette just "fits" what Carolina does perfectly. He is a younger version of J.Stew. He could step in and there'd virtually be no learning curve. IMO, that pick would be a home run.

Yes, and Cook is someone that could catch a screen pass (if Shula were to ever actually call one) and take it the distance... But Fournette just "fits" what Carolina does perfectly. He is a younger version of J.Stew. He could step in and there'd virtually be no learning curve. IMO, that pick would be a home run.
They definitely need to use that pick wisely. Please don't take another DL or CB, Gettleman. The only other position they should go for with no 8 is possibly on the OL but I don't not know that there is anyone that highly valued to pick there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue2010
So where does everyone think Mitch will go? I've seen some mock drafts projecting him to go as high as 3rd to the Bears (?).

IIRC, he was a Browns fan growing up and there's a chance they could take him at 12 if he's available. That actually might not be too bad if he can watch and learn for a year or two under a QB friendly coach in Hue Jackson. But knowing the Browns they would put him out there on day 1 and ruin him.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree, Panthers really need a RB now that Stew is pushing 30. I'd be happy with Fournette or Cook. I think we'll need an OL too along with maybe a LB or another secondary player. But first round we need to take the best one available.

It sucks to see Tolbert go. He really had energy and was a fan favorite.

On the other hand, I hope Gettleman gets some free agents this offseason. We need to get back to where we were a year ago.

Reactions: Blue2010
So where does everyone think Mitch will go? I've seen some mock drafts projecting him to go as high as 3rd to the Bears (?).

IIRC, he was a Browns fan growing up and there's a chance they could take him at 12 if he's available. That actually might not be too bad if he can watch and learn for a year or two under a QB friendly coach in Hue Jackson. But knowing the Browns they would put him out there on day 1 and ruin him.
I hope he doesn't go to the Browns. They are a cluster f**k of an organization.

Being completely honest, I don't see Mitch as a "can't miss" QB prospect...this is just a weak QB draft for the most part. I think the best thing for him would be to get drafted by a team that already has a solid veteran QB in place...and hold a clipboard for 1-2 years. Even if it were a situation like Denver -- let's say they go out and get Tony Romo, then draft Mitch to be the future. Something like that would work IMO. If he goes to the Browns or Bears and just gets thrown out there...RIP.

Being completely honest, I don't see Mitch as a "can't miss" QB prospect...this is just a weak QB draft for the most part. I think the best thing for him would be to get drafted by a team that already has a solid veteran QB in place...and hold a clipboard for 1-2 years. Even if it were a situation like Denver -- let's say they go out and get Tony Romo, then draft Mitch to be the future. Something like that would work IMO. If he goes to the Browns or Bears and just gets thrown out there...RIP.

Agreed. I think his best bet is to do the Aaron Rodgers route of waiting behind a solid QB for a few years until he gets his shot. The only way he'd make it to New England would be a real outside shot of the Patriots and Browns making a trade involving Garoppolo and the #12 pick, and even then Bill isn't using the #12 on a QB, so he'd have to slide to the last pick in the first round to even have a chance at going to NE. But... the Saints behind Brees, the Chargers behind Rivers, and the Steelers behind Roethlisberger are all decent enough situations for him to find himself in learning behind an upper echelon QB for a couple years before taking over the reins himself.

Chicago, SF, or Cleveland would be a disaster for him, and NYJ isn't much better.

I completely agree. But if I had my choice of all the teams at the top of the draft considering him, I'd go with Chicago.

But Fournette just "fits" what Carolina does perfectly. He is a younger version of J.Stew.

The best comparison I've seen for Fournette is Jamal Lewis, hopefully without the drug trafficking.

Reactions: Raising Heel
I completely agree. But if I had my choice of all the teams at the top of the draft considering him, I'd go with Chicago.

The best comparison I've seen for Fournette is Jamal Lewis, hopefully without the drug trafficking.

If they got a "clean" Jamal Lewis, that's a home run.

Yep. And there is some chatter about the Panthers picking up Victor Cruz. Granted he doesn't have the impact of 4-5 years ago but a decent slot receiver would be huge for the Panthers.

Gettleman might have whiffed on Cruz. Read last night that Cruz left Charlotte without a deal...the suggestion was that Gettleman offered a lowballed amount and Cruz is going to shop the market for something better.

Wouldn't be a huge deal given his injury history, but he certainly would be a nice slot receiver if he winds up coming back around.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Gettleman is starting to worry me. He started out well but he needs to rebound and make some good decisions this year. You can't get them all, but if he doesn't push the right buttons this year, then he's on the hot seat IMO.

Gettleman is starting to worry me. He started out well but he needs to rebound and make some good decisions this year. You can't get them all, but if he doesn't push the right buttons this year, then he's on the hot seat IMO.

I don't think he'll be on the hot seat just yet...he's really only had one bad year. You can't predict injuries and this team was completely snake-bitten last year. The glaring black eye obviously was the Josh Norman debacle...but thankfully he drafted two CB's that look like they are going to be very solid for several years.

The main thing I think is standing out on his draft resume is Kony Ealy. That guy just has not panned out, and I would think he is on a very, very short leash at this point. I keep hearing that Ryan Kalil is trying to convince his brother (Minnesota) to come down to Carolina, which would help the OL a lot. And there's no way they use the #8 spot on an OL this year...that has to be RB in my opinion, unless the safety from LSU somehow falls to them.

All in all, I'll be shocked if this team doesn't rebound next year. We HAVE to see Kelvin Benjamin and Devin Funchess step up too...both of them cannot continue to be statues...they have to get separation so Cam can get them the ball without having to force it. There's no reason why Ted Ginn is the #1 WR on this team...KB should be ashamed of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: TarHeelMark
There's no reason why Ted Ginn is the #1 WR on this team...KB should be ashamed of that.
Ginn wasn't the #1 WR on the team. KB lead all WR in yards and receptions. He lead the team in receiving TD. He's not the problem.

Ginn wasn't the #1 WR on the team. KB lead all WR in yards and receptions. He lead the team in receiving TD. He's not the problem.

Yeah, but he's not a #1 in the NFL. He has the tools to be but he's injury prone and seems to not have the drive to be great - gives up on plays, bad body language, etc.

Stats are deceiving on this one. KB played like he was scared of reinjuring his knee last year. He was timid, slow, and could not break away from anyone...at all. His "big games" came when he was simply taller than the DB guarding him, and he just reached over top to make the catch...then he would literally just fall to the ground.

No one that actually watched the Panthers this past season would have ever made the claim that KB was the #1 (or even #2) WR on the team -- that honor went to Ginn and Greg Olsen. And I don't care what the stats say.

No one that actually watched the Panthers this past season would have ever made the claim that KB was the #1 (or even #2) WR on the team -- that honor went to Ginn and Greg Olsen. And I don't care what the stats say.
Are you sure you don't go to radar? This sounds like textbook radar to me.

It may be blown out of proportion. I'm not saying it's a big deal and he should be run out of town.

But it was stupid, and he's an idiot.

This just goes to show that we really shouldn't be parading athletes around in front of children as role models. Some of them are. But many are not yet we continue to see them all as such. Winston isn't a terrible guy but yes, he's an idiot and the administration that asked him to come talk to their kids is made up of a bunch of idiots as well.

This just goes to show that we really shouldn't be parading athletes around in front of children as role models. Some of them are. But many are not yet we continue to see them all as such. Winston isn't a terrible guy but yes, he's an idiot and the administration that asked him to come talk to their kids is made up of a bunch of idiots as well.
Winston has demonstrated poor judgment repeatedly and has a tendency to stick his foot in his mouth every time he opens it, but he's an NFL starting quarterback so I guess we can overlook all that and sure, we'd love to have him come talk to our impressionable young grade-schoolers! Thanks for the offer, @TBBuccaneers!

i think mixon could be slightly better than cook...although it really depends on what team scouts think, imo, they are that close...however, mixon could slip to the 3rd round, which value wise, would be enormous for someone.

can't wait to see where romo lands...it's probably houston, kc, or denver.

adrian peterson will be cut...where will he go; dallas, nyg, packers?

league's first day of biz is about two weeks away...buckle up

i think mixon could be slightly better than cook...although it really depends on what team scouts think, imo, they are that close...however, mixon could slip to the 3rd round, which value wise, would be enormous for someone.

can't wait to see where romo lands...it's probably houston, kc, or denver.

adrian peterson will be cut...where will he go; dallas, nyg, packers?

league's first day of biz is about two weeks away...buckle up

Getting good value on a "problem" player is always nice. Like Tunsil last year. Guy plummets after that gas mask bong video, great value.

Those are probably pretty accurate potential spots for Romo. Houston may be the front runner for Garoppolo, but if that doesn't happen, that might be the best option for him.

I don't see AP taking a backseat to Zeke. I don't see him taking a backseat to Lacy either - but who knows if the Packers are planning on him just eating himself into oblivion again. The Giants would be a good spot for him.

So the Giants just signed Brandon Marshall. (sigh)

Here's to a long season of listening to Chris Berman going "Da GGGGGGGG-men" every segment. As if Eli didn't have enough weapons to throw to.

But awesome...Gettleman made some big splashes yesterday! The Brentin Bursin experiment continues!

So what is this I'm hearing about Riverboat Ron saying the Panthers are going to restrict Cam from running, even more than they did last season...?

You're setting the man up to fail. He does not have the accuracy or the footwork to be strictly a pocket passer. You're tying one arm behind his back. I think the Panthers are on the edge of a knife. This is a big season for them. It could all fall apart if they aren't careful. You do NOT want to be a franchise without a QB. That's NFL purgatory.

Reactions: tarheel0910
So what is this I'm hearing about Riverboat Ron saying the Panthers are going to restrict Cam from running, even more than they did last season...?

You're setting the man up to fail. He does not have the accuracy or the footwork to be strictly a pocket passer. You're tying one arm behind his back. I think the Panthers are on the edge of a knife. This is a big season for them. It could all fall apart if they aren't careful. You do NOT want to be a franchise without a QB. That's NFL purgatory.

I agree with Ron on this one. Cam's running ability is a threat, for sure, but Father Time will always win and Cam has got to evolve as a QB. He can't keep getting hit in the head the way he does, and he also is eventually going to lose a step.

When he has protection - and this is true for most good NFL QB's - his accuracy is vastly improved. They need to shore up the OL, draft L.Fournette - a once-in-a-decade talent by NFL standards - to take the load off Cam. They will be fine...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT