ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina vs South Carolina

SoCar has to play Clemson annually, and I doubt those Chickens would want a 2nd annual game versus an ACC team.

Tennessee does not want to play us Home and Home, much less play a Neutral site game in Charlotte. But the Vols should want to. Knoxville is a very long way from Memphis, and is a 3+ hour drive from Nashville. TN produces less talent than NC. The Vola need to recruit well our of state in order to become dominant in the SEC East.

UGA-UNC in Charlotte makes sense for both programs, and to get that I would agree to play UGA in Atlanta's new dome.
UGA-UNC makes no sense for UGA. They already have a yearly neutral site game. Having two means giving up home game revenue. And UNC is a yawn for Bulldog fans in football.

Thanks for the info. Best response I've heard from a SC fan. Poor QB play can kill a game.
Except Hilinski was still High School when that game was played, which makes replacing Bentley with Hilinski a difficult move. Scarnecia was the #2 guy then and should have played the 2nd half.

UGA-UNC makes no sense for UGA. They already have a yearly neutral site game. Having two means giving up home game revenue. And UNC is a yawn for Bulldog fans in football.
Do you mean never, or makes no sense as an annual rivalry?

UNC-UGA makes sense for both. Easy travel for a border state game. UGA does recruit Charlotte, and UGA playing an off campus game in Atlanta a couple of times per decade is not the same as playing one in Jacksonville every year.

i love our tar heels, and i despise scar, so i am emotionally invested in this game. we can give them a good fight and hope for an upset. i just wish we had a few years of mack's recruiting and leadership before we faced them. when's the next time we're scheduled to play them, anybody know?

Maybe an advantage for UNC is the the Gamecocks have no decent film to look at. There is some uncertainty as far as what schemes UNC will run.

That being said, UNC needs to jump out early, because USC will eventually adjust. USC is the more talented team, and as history suggests, the North Carolina teams (UNC and NC State) have issues in this opening game, even when they are the better team.

Go Heels!!!

Do you mean never, or makes no sense as an annual rivalry?

UNC-UGA makes sense for both. Easy travel for a border state game. UGA does recruit Charlotte, and UGA playing an off campus game in Atlanta a couple of times per decade is not the same as playing one in Jacksonville every year.
Annual Rivalry on a neutral site is what I was speaking of. UGA recruits both Carolina's and Florida like we all do. As far as a border state, yes...around the App. Trail....but not really how people see it as you have to clear SC if you are driving or flying.

Maybe an advantage for UNC is the the Gamecocks have no decent film to look at. There is some uncertainty as far as what schemes UNC will run.

That being said, UNC needs to jump out early, because USC will eventually adjust. USC is the more talented team, and as history suggests, the North Carolina teams (UNC and NC State) have issues in this opening game, even when they are the better team.

Go Heels!!!
We're not playing USC.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
We're not playing USC.
You are correct. You are playing "Carolina".

I really hope you fellows have enjoyed the talking season.

Being from Raleigh and growing up in the shadow of the bell tower, I know the
real Duke/UNC game is not until February.

Last edited:
We've already been over this with other south carolina posters. There's only one Carolina and it isn't you.

Yes we have, with the exception of one visiting poster.

I have no idea why you are bring this up or what the connection is to the Carolina vs south carolina game.

Leaving Raleigh for college makes sense. But going to what many call the armpit of the Carolinas?

All UNC-Dook contests are real. Dick Vitale is correct about at least 1 thing: across all sports, no rivalry is better than UNC-Dook.

Leaving Raleigh for college makes sense. But going to what many call the armpit of the Carolinas?

All UNC-Dook contests are real. Dick Vitale is correct about at least 1 thing: across all sports, no rivalry is better than UNC-Dook.[/QUOTE

You guys have some serious arrogance....especially for a basketball school.
Same ole Orange County stench.
Enjoy saturday...if you can. The last time you won a Power 5 opener...Mack was your coach....let that sink in !

I think this is perhaps the only advantage we possess. And it may not even be that much of an advantage because there is plenty of film on the type of schemes Longo and Bateman like to run. If anything, it may be a simplified version on offense due to the inexperience of our QB's, both in their newness to the scheme as well as to the speed of the college game.
Can't argue with that one bit.

My key to the game is our OL vs their DL. We need to have a decent amount of success running the ball or too much pressure may fall on Howell to move the ball through the air. We have to avoid too many 3rd and long situations which force him to make plays with his arm. If we can have some success running the ball, it will open up the passing game, and vice versa. It may entail dumping the ball off to our backs in the flat versus running off tackle against on of the better DL's we will face this year. If we can't sustain drives, our lack of depth on defense will rear it's ugly head as the game wears on.

A solid kicking game and winning the TO battle will loom large as well. It's a very tall order for a very young team but I feel it's doable if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot, as we were wont to do in the past.

GO HEELS!

Such arrogance from a fan of a school who last won an opener against a Power Five school in 1997.....and yes, Mack was your coach then also.
You sound salty. Bottom line is everyone outside of south carolina considers USC to be southern California and Carolina to be UNC. It's all related to your school branding issues which we've already discussed in the uniform thread.

I assume you do know that a number of people, across many decades, many of them native South Carolinians, have referred to Columbia as the armpit of the Carolinas.

I've lived in SC. Charleston is wonderful. Myrtle Beach is a much more pleasant beach town than most. I really like Murrells Inlet. The SC upcountry is gorgeous. But Columbia is something else.

UNC-Dook is truly unique. There is no other rivalry like it. Part of that is proximity. Part is the fact of so many ranked teams across so many sports. Each of us has many National Championships in sports other than men's basketball. We both have played in Major Bowls and reached the CWS.

SoCar doesn't have a truly meaningful rival in the SEC.

Those lil Carolina people are so funny. You still think you are Carolina lord help them.

Reactions: heelbent
I assume you do know that a number of people, across many decades, many of them native South Carolinians, have referred to Columbia as the armpit of the Carolinas.

I've lived in SC. Charleston is wonderful. Myrtle Beach is a much more pleasant beach town than most. I really like Murrells Inlet. The SC upcountry is gorgeous. But Columbia is something else.

Armpit is putting it mildly more like hell on earth.

Reactions: heelbent
With the line up to 10 and us having to face a nfl caliber dline we should just stay home and scrimmage

I just drove up 85 from Clemson to Charlotte. Your roads suck, your state sucks and if you happen to beat The University of North Carolina also know to everyone everywhere as Carolina, you still live in a suck town in Columbia and your state still sucks. May the best team win but at the end of it all you just suck.

The only reason why USuCk being in the ACC would make sense is because they are literally on the Atlantic coast. Other than that, they don't fit. They're nowhere near the academic standard of the ACC and their redneck fans fit right in with the SEC crowd. And I'm saying that as someone with family that's currently going there.

You are correct.......we are a national embarrassment.

I just drove up 85 from Clemson to Charlotte. Your roads suck, your state sucks and if you happen to beat The University of North Carolina also know to everyone everywhere as Carolina, you still live in a suck town in Columbia and your state still sucks. May the best team win but at the end of it all you just suck.
You realize you're on the UNC board right?

Well, at least you're right about the best team is going to win

Football has finally arrived. This is a great game to kickoff the season. I expect my Gamecocks to win, but I have been disappointed by them many, many, times in my life. Except for this game I hope UNC has a terrific season.

UNC-Dook is truly unique. There is no other rivalry like it. Part of that is proximity. Part is the fact of so many ranked teams across so many sports. Each of us has many National Championships in sports other than men's basketball. We both have played in Major Bowls and reached the CWS.

SoCar doesn't have a truly meaningful rival in the SEC.

I was born and grew up in Charleston. When the Charleston Naval Shipyard (CNSYD) closed in 1996 I had to relocate. I lived in Jacksonville, FL from 1996-2000. I have lived in Columbia, SC since 2000. Charleston is beautiful, with many things to do and see. Columbia is called the 'arm-pit' of South Carolina for a reason. Columbia is absolutely the worst place that I have ever lived, and that counts the three years of living in Erlangen, Germany while serving in the 1st Armored Division (Old Ironsides) while in the US Army (1978-1981).

There is little to really do or see in Columbia. Sitting in mostly a depression the weather is hot and stagnant, not with a nice ocean breeze like Charleston. As a sports (college football) enthusiast the Gamecock (Coot) fans are absolutely obnoxious. I don't really fly my Clemson flags anymore, but I remember years ago when I did how Coot fans would just shoot the bird and yell "f*ck Clemson" even when I had children in the car. Unfortunately many UNC fans will have to deal with this obnoxiousness tomorrow with whoever goes to the game.

Listening to sports radio here in Columbia (107.5 The Game) they (the sports commentators and fans) believe they are going to bitch slap UNC by 30 points or more. I guess they have put the Belk Bowl and the 28-0 loss to Virginia to bed. Well anyway, if UNC can beat USuC (Uof SC), the Tarheels can start the biggest Gamecock meltdown in years.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
I was born and grew up in Charleston. When the Charleston Naval Shipyard (CNSYD) closed in 1996 I had to relocate. I lived in Jacksonville, FL from 1996-2000. I have lived in Columbia, SC since 2000. Charleston is beautiful, with many things to do and see. Columbia is called the 'arm-pit' of South Carolina for a reason. Columbia is absolutely the worst place that I have ever lived, and that counts the three years of living in Erlangen, Germany while serving in the 1st Armored Division (Old Ironsides) while in the US Army (1978-1981).

There is little to really do or see in Columbia. Sitting in mostly a depression the weather is hot and stagnant, not with a nice ocean breeze like Charleston. As a sports (college football) enthusiast the Gamecock (Coot) fans are absolutely obnoxious. I don't really fly my Clemson flags anymore, but I remember years ago when I did how Coot fans would just shoot the bird and yell "f*ck Clemson" even when I had children in the car. Unfortunately many UNC fans will have to deal with this obnoxiousness tomorrow with whoever goes to the game.

Listening to sports radio here in Columbia (107.5 The Game) they (the sports commentators and fans) believe they are going to bitch slap UNC by 30 points or more. I guess they have put the Belk Bowl and the 28-0 loss to Virginia to bed. Well anyway, if UNC can beat USuC (Uof SC), the Tarheels can start the biggest Gamecock meltdown in years.
Regardless of the outcome, I'll be glad when this game is behind us so those cocky trolls will go annoy another fanbase.

To be fair, I've seen 2 or 3 decent SC fans post over here, but the rest are coming across like the obnoxious a-holes that you describe.

It’s been entertaining reading all these posts, such hate. I wandered why, y’all lead the series 34–19–4. I kinda like it’s just the first game and lets just play. Then I realized y’all are one of the few teams we pretty much own. Since 1967 were 12-7, and we haven’t lost to y’all since 1991. Thank you we don’t own to many teams. But safe trip and hope no injuries.

It’s been entertaining reading all these posts, such hate. I wandered why, y’all lead the series 34–19–4. I kinda like it’s just the first game and lets just play. Then I realized y’all are one of the few teams we pretty much own. Since 1967 were 12-7, and we haven’t lost to y’all since 1991. Thank you we don’t own to many teams. But safe trip and hope no injuries.
You own us, yet we still are ahead in all time victories by double digits. And I don't know why some of you seem to think it's a big deal that we haven't won since the early 90s. News flash. This isn't an annual rivalry. We've played you three times since 1991. If you guys get this excited because you beat us three times in the past 25+ years, then that says a lot about your football program and what you guys have accomplished.

Carolinas key to this game is Batemans defense. Does his game plan work at such an early stage? I gotta believe given his track record, it will not only keep SC in check but create some miscues. Bateman game plan has not had his typical couple days but weeks to prepare.

Our offense is so inexperienced that we are forced to play it close to the vest. An early successful Bateman D could allow Howell to rely on the ground game, short game for a few first downs and keep us within striking distance for an upset.

Reactions: dooksux
You own us, yet we still are ahead in all time victories by double digits. And I don't know why some of you seem to think it's a big deal that we haven't won since the early 90s. News flash. This isn't an annual rivalry. We've played you three times since 1991. If you guys get this excited because you beat us three times in the past 25+ years, then that says a lot about your football program and what you guys have accomplished.
Yup, 0-3 since 1991. Whoop dee freakin' doo. He also picked 1967 as an arbitrary cut-off since it represented the end of a 4-game UNC winning streak (and 7 of the last 8). LOL.

Very convenient you left off that we beat y’all six out of seven times since 1988.

Very convenient you left off that we beat y’all six out of seven times since 1988.
I didn't leave it out. I was using the year that you said.

we haven’t lost to y’all since 1991.

She how that works? You mention 1991, so that's what I respond to. But if you want to talk about convenience, check this out

He also picked 1967 as an arbitrary cut-off since it represented the end of a 4-game UNC winning streak (and 7 of the last 8).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT