ADVERTISEMENT

Now they want the Tar Heels name!

My giving stopped with the way the Silent Sam situation was handled. If they drop Tar Heels I will be done with attending any games or buying any more merchandise. Might continue to watch but won't be a priority.

Amazing it wasn’t an issue last year, or the year before that, or the year before that, or the year before that. Now it’s an issue this year. Didn’t stop them from attending the school did it? The quote from the article below is the biggest bunch of BS I have seen.

“If you call yourself a Tar Heel … you’re cheering for the essence of white supremacy,” Thorpe said.

Simple answer is NO, I would not be OK with that at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

I like to consider myself as laid back and easy going, opinionated for sure but no one that looks to go out of his way to upset others. If I disagree with someone else I really try to talk it thru and find a middle ground of agreement. But got to tell you, all this effort by a few to tear down those institutions that many more love than have issue with, I have had enough of it and I don't think I have a minority opinion in that. The slow boil I have been in is starting to become extremely pissed off, this nonsense needs to stop and folks need to get back to some degree of reasonability before it is to late.

Every one of you know, the UNC Tar Heels has nothing to do with racism today, this is nothing but an effort to flex power from those looking to upset everything this country and our people love and respect. Better let the sleeping giant sleep else he wakes up and he does not wake up happy...

Last edited:
I am a proud African-American AND a proud Tar Heel!

I will never click on an N&O article!

I agree with removing the names of avowed racists from buildings and removing statues that are a source of pain, but I disagree wholeheartedly with changing the nickname of the school!

While most historians do trace the nickname back to the Civil War, it became a source of pride when it came to mean the NC regiments stood their ground when others fled. Even though NC was on the wrong side, I think the term itself is actual heritage and not hate! (NC was one of the last two states to secede from the Union so at least we considered it before jumping ship!)

(The Battle flag and statues cannot be separated from their hate however!)

The slippery slope has become a sheer drop off. Hopefully very soon political and community leaders will wake up and show some true courage. Until then one can only imagine what our founding fathers would think of the present state of affairs in our country.

The founding fathers were even more petty and divided in many ways. Adams/Jefferson Federalists/antifederalist New England states/Southern states, Congress/President, etc. All got very ugly and heated.

Even many of same issues Boston massacre/was a response to police brutality attacks, protests galore/ on any number of issues , open riots, destruction of public property, boycotts/ shays rebellion, whiskey rebellion, burned court houses, government offices, race issues etc.

I think they would recognize it easily, remember they fought to separate from the imagery and connections to the King and what they saw as England's mistreatment of colonists as second class citizens throughout their short history.

You had Patriots and Loyalists before and after the revoulution. Names and historical connections were very much a matter of dissension.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
it doesnt matter if you’re ok with it or not.
it’s just a matter of time. everyone’s bending the knee in the name of social justice. if you believe in institutional racism then you won’t mind if people topple the institution. each brick is a source of pain for someone so topple it because feelings matter.
...until they arrive at your lawn.

the silent majority is asleep, nonexistent, or sheep.
unc, like many universities, are a breeding ground for leftist indoctrination by leftist professors, so I’m not surprised. The social justice warriors live on campus and if they so choose to topple every brick looking for racism, there is nothing the school can do about it except bend the knee (ie Evergreen State College)

Reactions: HeelFan58
I am a African Americans male from North Carolina and this is my problem. Redskin is a name that has offended people for years. Tarheel hasn't offended anyone!

Another problem I have is removing statues, I say for every statue built of suspect people, we should demand a statue of unknown African Americans who did great things.

I think John Wayne airport should be renamed. That man was a racist who stated it every chance he could!

I am so sick of of people demanding stupid crap when we should be demanding things that will make a difference. Reform in our legal system makes a change! Removing a name which people who do not associate with racism is stupid!

Its like stealing millions of dollars and getting away with it, but one day we realize you stole millions, and the agreement is you have to volunteer 20 hours. One has nothing to do with another, and your still a millionaire!

Change when it comes to racism needs to begin with our legal system, not with a darn name!

I fear that we as African Americans again are getting fooled by paid people, I say people because it's whites who demanding that statues and name changes be done, and in reality it's the system that needs to change. Crap is making me mad!

maybe they should go back to the "White Phantoms"
Beat me to it.

Seriously though, changing the name would just be PC nonsense. Sounds like the N&O is just stirring sh**.

Truth be known, some names should've been changed years ago (Redskins... I mean, c'mon), but there's no need to jump the shark.

It doesn't. That's why we should have never let the toothpaste out of the tube to begin with.

Yeah - I think the issue is you just don't have rational people on the radical sides.

The idiot "leading" the BLM group, Hawk Newsome, literally wants everything depicting anyone not black taken down. The moron wants all images of Jesus in any shade that isn't dark brown completely gone from every church in America. He's a pyscho. He, and the people that follow him directly, have no concept that some things can be bad and some things are fine. Everything is hot or cold.

If you had rational people leading, they'd generally have an idea of what is blatantly glorifying awful history in America and what is not.

Sure, you'll have disagreements (you think Lee statues should remain, I do not) but most rational people out there are not going to battle Thomas Jefferson, Teddy Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, George Washington, Tar Heels, Jesus, etc.

If we had more people in the middle making decisions, we'd just have a few disagreements and some good debates.

For clarity, what measures would have prevented the toothpaste from leaking out? And can you be a little more descriptive of “we” - tia.

For starters:

"No, we're not removing this statue."
"Yes, you will be arrested for damaging property."
"No, people of color aren't treated differently in America."
"No, we're not having a black national anthem. We, as Americans have one national anthem and it's the only one played at sporting events."
"No, the name Redskins wasn't meant to be offensive. If that's how you take it, that's on you."

We = society

The idiot "leading" the BLM group, Hawk Newsome, literally wants everything depicting anyone not black taken down. The moron wants all images of Jesus in any shade that isn't dark brown completely gone from every church in America. He's a pyscho. He, and the people that follow him directly, have no concept that some things can be bad and some things are fine. Everything is hot or cold.
If you replaced the colors mentioned with white, that'd sound an awfully lot like a white supremacist leader and group.

Reactions: dadika13
I am an extreme liberal unabashedly and march proudly in the name of social justice and tearing down the immoral fabric that is systematic racism. It is not lost on me that those against the Black Lives Matter movement who are diehard Carolina basketball fans have been rooting for black athletes for most or all of their lives.

I was all for the removal of Silent Sam, I'm all for changing building names, I'm all for the confederate flag never flying anywhere ever again.

The Tar Heel name should stay.

The problem I have with changing the name is due to the story in and of itself...of which there are many, but I will take the GAA's word on it, as they write on their site:

"The term “tar heel” dates back to North Carolina’s early history, when the state was a leading producer of supplies for the naval industry. Workers who distilled turpentine from the sticky sap of pine trees and burned pine boughs to produce tar and pitch often went barefoot during hot summer months and undoubtedly collected tar on their heels. To call someone a “rosin heel” or “tar heel” was to imply that they worked in a lowly trade."

There is absolutely no racial vitriol at all in that story. Later, because the term became popular, North Carolina soldiers embraced it as their own and we became the Tar Heel state. But the Confederacy IS NOT its origin.

I will be a Carolina fan no matter what for the rest of my life, and I'll never stop giving to my school or attending. But to change the name Tar Heel is to jump on board a sensitivity rocket ship.

Exactly! The origin of the nickname had nothing to do with the Civil War or any of its issues. NC regiments and people embraced the nickname because they were proud that it symbolized their commitment and bravery! All of the many origin stories discuss these traits in some way or another.

Once again the Blues & Disturber is trying to sully our Family by creating an issue that doesn't exist! There are plenty of things that divide the Family, but this isn't one of them!

Reactions: Heels5150
Yeah - I think the issue is you just don't have rational people on the radical sides.

If you had rational people leading, they'd generally have an idea of what is blatantly glorifying awful history in America and what is not.

Sure, you'll have disagreements (you think Lee statues should remain, I do not) but most rational people out there are not going to battle Thomas Jefferson, Teddy Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, George Washington, Tar Heels, Jesus, etc.

If we had more people in the middle making decisions, we'd just have a few disagreements and some good debates.

The problem is that we all feel the need to react to the loony tunes. Just take this as an example. There doesn't really seem to be any indication that the school or the public at large is even looking at changing the name Tar Heels. But the idea of changing the name is just ridiculous enough that we all have to let each other know how stupid we think it is.

That's how all of politics is now. We pick the side we don't like, then we constantly fixate on the dumbest and loudest people on that side. In fact, we're so fixated on the dumbest and loudest people that we made one of them president.

Last edited:
Funny thing is, my grandmother actually said she would never support puke because their mascot was in her words, "The Devil!" I was just happy to find another person who hated them; who cares why!

Reactions: gary-7
I am a proud African-American AND a proud Tar Heel!

I will never click on an N&O article!

I agree with removing the names of avowed racists from buildings and removing statues that are a source of pain, but I disagree wholeheartedly with changing the nickname of the school!

While most historians do trace the nickname back to the Civil War, it became a source of pride when it came to mean the NC regiments stood their ground when others fled. Even though NC was on the wrong side, I think the term itself is actual heritage and not hate! (NC was one of the last two states to secede from the Union so at least we considered it before jumping ship!)

(The Battle flag and statues cannot be separated from their hate however!)
Well said, and even if the term did stem from the Civil War it would've been about battlefield valor as opposed to a bad cause.

A similar situation has been mentioned with Auburn and the battle cry "War Eagle!"
It comes from Auburn's first football coach, who had fought in the war and been left for dead in the awful Wilderness battle, who picked up a half-dead baby eagle (because they were the only two things alive around him) and kept it as a pet. Later when he became a prof and later football coach at Auburn all the students unsurprisingly called it the War Eagle. The legend and the chant was born when the old eagle got loose and swooped over Piedmont Park in ATL as Auburn drove to a win over UGA in their first-ever game in 1892 (and the eagle died from the exertion). In other words, it would be silly to disavow the War Eagle just beause he was rescued from the carnage of a Civil War battle.

I'm a Tar Heel born and a Tar Heel Bred and when I die, I'll be a Tar Heel dead. Change it, but for me...never!

"The term “tar heel” dates back to North Carolina’s early history, when the state was a leading producer of supplies for the naval industry. Workers who distilled turpentine from the sticky sap of pine trees and burned pine boughs to produce tar and pitch often went barefoot during hot summer months and undoubtedly collected tar on their heels. To call someone a “rosin heel” or “tar heel” was to imply that they worked in a lowly trade."

There is absolutely no racial vitriol at all in that story. Later, because the term became popular, North Carolina soldiers embraced it as their own and we became the Tar Heel state. But the Confederacy IS NOT its origin.

Thank you GoToHeelDook at least two of us are aware of our early colonial history and the origin of the name.

Just a matter of time. It will be changed, eventually.

They will protest and protest until the university caves-in and changes it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
No... I would not be "okay" with it.

There has got to be a limit on this inability to understand CONTEXT! Context is all that matters. There is absolutely NOTHING offensive about Tar Heels in the context of the North Carolina Tar Heels, as a mascot or nickname. There was NEVER any negative or oppressive connotation with it in the context of a nickname for the university's sports teams. It is the TAR HEEL STATE. If you want to be offended, go right ahead. You're choosing to be offended.

Last edited:
Hey, Mr. Thorpe... you're entitled to your "humble opinion." However, a TAR HEEL is ANYONE who is from North Carolina.

Beat me to it.

Seriously though, changing the name would just be PC nonsense. Sounds like the N&O is just stirring sh**.

Truth be known, some names should've been changed years ago (Redskins... I mean, c'mon), but there's no need to jump the shark.

Why should Redskins have been changed years ago. Did you know there's a high school on the Navajo reservation - serving only NA kids - and they adopted the Redskins as their team nickname. In fact, they talk about having pride in the name. But I get it, some white, angry millennials have been offended on behalf of all indigenous people and so we should wilt under the pressure.

https://hs.rmusd.net/

Or maybe there's nuance I'm missing here @gary-7 . Tell us all what we should think about this.

I am an extreme liberal unabashedly and march proudly in the name of social justice and tearing down the immoral fabric that is systematic racism. It is not lost on me that those against the Black Lives Matter movement who are diehard Carolina basketball fans have been rooting for black athletes for most or all of their lives.

I was all for the removal of Silent Sam, I'm all for changing building names, I'm all for the confederate flag never flying anywhere ever again.

The Tar Heel name should stay.

The problem I have with changing the name is due to the story in and of itself...of which there are many, but I will take the GAA's word on it, as they write on their site:

I will be a Carolina fan no matter what for the rest of my life, and I'll never stop giving to my school or attending. But to change the name Tar Heel is to jump on board a sensitivity rocket ship.

lol. This gon' be good.

The woke mob is now having shit they like messed with so they think it's going overboard. But it was fine when it wasn't affecting the things you like. lolololol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT