ADVERTISEMENT

Now they want the Tar Heels name!

in all fairness, have you seen his mom's tit?

He describes his own mother as some beastly, horrible troll. No shit. That's how he, himself has characterized her in the past. So no thanks on seeing her tit. I don't patronize that specific strip club.

Reactions: bluetoe
just move up the line of coaches and call it Hall Hall. Either that or Cheatinous Bastages Arena.

I'm conflicted by this situation. I loathe UK and am happy to see something happen that their fan base will hate. On the other hand, I loathe this cancel culture and I'd enjoy watching the SJWs freak out if UK tells them to piss off.

I'm conflicted by this situation. I loathe UK and am happy to see something happen that their fan base will hate. On the other hand, I loathe this cancel culture and I'd enjoy watching the SJWs freak out if UK tells them to piss off.

I would like to put Kentucky and their fans on a train to nowhere. But I'd like to put the cancel culture adherents on the tracks in front of that train. I would take up for Kentucky in a heartbeat over the morons who think they can turn the world into a real live Sesame Street or Mister Rogers Neighborhood.

I would like to put Kentucky and their fans on a train to nowhere. But I'd like to put the cancel culture adherents on the tracks in front of that train. I would take up for Kentucky in a heartbeat over the morons who think they can turn the world into a real live Sesame Street or Mister Rogers Neighborhood.

For once I agree

Reactions: bluetoe
Of Red Raiders, Tar Heels, and the tomahawk chop
https://www.gastongazette.com/opinion/20200724/of-red-raiders-tar-heels-and-tomahawk-chop
Tar Heels
Of course, another mascot name change has also been proposed in recent weeks, that of the Tar Heels of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Despite those who would link the name solely to Confederate soldiers from North Carolina, the Tar Heel nickname existed before the Civil War.

According to the UNC Alumni website, the term “tar heel” dates back to North Carolina’s early history, when the state was a leading producer of supplies for the naval industry.

Workers who distilled turpentine from the sticky sap of pine trees and burned pine boughs to produce tar and pitch often went barefoot during hot summer months and undoubtedly collected tar on their heels.

In my mind, Tar Heel is a but a positive moniker for the hard-working, industrious people of this state, a fitting mascot for what I and other graduates proudly call “The University of the People.”

The name is fully grounded in the heritage of our state. Leave it alone.

Of Red Raiders, Tar Heels, and the tomahawk chop
https://www.gastongazette.com/opinion/20200724/of-red-raiders-tar-heels-and-tomahawk-chop
Tar Heels

Of course, another mascot name change has also been proposed in recent weeks, that of the Tar Heels of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Despite those who would link the name solely to Confederate soldiers from North Carolina, the Tar Heel nickname existed before the Civil War.

According to the UNC Alumni website, the term “tar heel” dates back to North Carolina’s early history, when the state was a leading producer of supplies for the naval industry.

Workers who distilled turpentine from the sticky sap of pine trees and burned pine boughs to produce tar and pitch often went barefoot during hot summer months and undoubtedly collected tar on their heels.

In my mind, Tar Heel is a but a positive moniker for the hard-working, industrious people of this state, a fitting mascot for what I and other graduates proudly call “The University of the People.”

The name is fully grounded in the heritage of our state. Leave it alone.

We've gotten to the point now where we have "selective wokeness". Ain't that sumthin'?

We've gotten to the point now where we have "selective wokeness". Ain't that sumthin'?
no shit. Because does it matter that a name was first used inoffensively? What should matter is that by some stretch...any stretch...of the imagination, those inclined to be offended find a way for a name's use at any point in its usage history to trigger present outrage. If a name CAN trigger outrage, it should be considered outrageous. The currently outrageously offensive name must be banned and replaced with future outrageousness, to be thoroughly drummed out by future, more highly evolved wokeness..

how about we judge each name, statue, flag, etc based on its own merits and context. Seems reasonable.
Oh, you want reasonable? How about we exhibit a measurable IQ and just don't judge on behalf of anyone but ourselves.

Oh, you want reasonable? How about we exhibit a measurable IQ and just don't judge on behalf of anyone but ourselves.

so you don’t think it’s reasonable when someone claims they are offended by something that you evaluate their claim based on the facts?

and btw as I’ve stated in here multiple times I don’t give a **** about any of it. tear them down, build more, change names, call yourselves the baby rapers, shove them up your ass with a red hot poker, I don’t care. No history is being erased and none of it is offending me.

so you don’t think it’s reasonable when someone claims they are offended by something that you evaluate their claim based on the facts?

and btw as I’ve stated in here multiple times I don’t give a **** about any of it. tear them down, build more, change names, call yourselves the baby rapers, shove them up your ass with a red hot poker, I don’t care. No history is being erased and none of it is offending me.
you sure spend a godawful large amount of verbiage on something you don't care about.

But as to your question, I think it's reasonable to just not be offended. Saves a lot of idiotic 'evaluating' of things that are of no actual concern, other than to those who choose to make mountains out of molehills for various self-serving reasons.

you sure spend a godawful large amount of verbiage on something you don't care about.

But as to your question, I think it's reasonable to just not be offended. Saves a lot of idiotic 'evaluating' of things that are of no actual concern, other than to those who choose to make mountains out of molehills for various self-serving reasons.
Nobody gives a shit about your opinion

Reactions: heelmanwilm
"Tar Heels"- that particular joining of the words (Tar and Heel), and use as a term to refer to North Carolinians, wasn't actually used until the Civil War, and the NC Troops used it to refer to themselves, or were referred to as "Tar Heels."

There's a really cool reference in The Civil War series by Ken Burns, where a Virginia soldier is quoted: "We would ask the North Carolina troops if they had any tar, and called them 'Tar Heels.' They would say they'd used it all up to make us stick in the last fight, and call us 'sore backs' because they ran over us to get to the enemy. And, so it would go, back and forth, between the men."

Prior to that it was rosin heels, or just a general reference as "having tar on your heels/or feet", etc.. Tar Heels continued to... stick... and remained in general usage ever since the Civil War to refer to anyone from North Carolina.

There is zero chance the name gets changed because some random fringe group wants it to happen. This thread feels like a waste of time.

I even confronted @tarheelbybirth about his handle and he claimed "I heard...but the nickname goes back to the 1700's and references the state's status as a top producer of turpentine, pitch, and tar from pine trees. The workers were also called "rosin heels" but it never caught on for obvious reasons."

The nickname, technically, does not go back to the 1700's. The actual nickname "Tar Heels" goes back to... wait for it... the Civil War. There is reference to the name, or evolution of the term. But, officially, Tar Heels made its debut in and during the Civil War. Now, that really doesn't mean anything negative... unless you want it to be be negative.

Moreover, it has absolutely nothing to do with slavery. At all.

The Civil War was America's crossroads. It defined the nation, in many ways. Just because something- especially language- is an echo of the Civil War doesn't mean it is bad, or wrong, or racist, or oppressive. The New York Yankees are okay, apparently. Hate to break it to people, but, the Yankees before, during and after the Civil War didn't care much for blacks/slaves, either.

This "Union Soldier Campaign" sounds like a group that is stuck in 1865.
LOL...what does "technically" mean? The nickname predates the Civil War. Period. It's not debatable - technically or otherwise. That it was popularized during the war doesn't change that very basic fact.

Last edited:
LOL...what does "technically" mean? The nickname predates the Civil War. Period. It's not debatable - technically or otherwise. That it was popularized during the war doesn't change that very basic fact.

Tar Heels does not pre-date the Civil War. So, yes, it is very debatable. Please show me an example of Tar Heels in use prior to the Civil War. The term was first used and publicly displayed during the Civil War by the NC regiments, regarding them, referring to them, etc.. I've never seen any proof of that term being used in any public record or fashion before the Civil War.
https://www.ncdcr.gov/blog/2014/06/02/civil-war-origins-of-tar-heel

Tar_Heel_postcard.jpg

showfullimage-1.jpg

51-zaWKwjQL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

leoncv.gif

s-l640.jpg

b89e1823f9ee4ef8a598bbcedd880a51968ab498b8330a8dcc619b65b9dcce28-rimg-w522-h315-gmir.jpg

lees%20tar.JPG

The State Flag might be next:

f9780d1750df4905ba61dae816130036.gif

It has "something" to do with slavery, in as much as tar, pitch and turpentine were all cultivated by mostly slave labor. It wasn't ALL slave labor, but it was a dirty job. Even the UNC professors admit that. It's for sure that some poor whites would do the job. And, the term has also been neutralized over the last 150 years to refer to anyone from NC. The term was never used to refer to "The Confederacy." Except that NC was a confederate state. If you don't think that's enough historical ammunition for uber-liberal minds (especially guilty white liberals) to remove the nickname, be my guest. You're a white liberal and you've managed to do some serious bending to make sure that your limit is maintained. I'm impressed by that. I don't think it should be changed. I don't think it's offensive... unless you want it to be offensive. But, I know also that it has a very obvious "rebel" association in its past.

Last edited:
can we get some examples of the term 'Tar Heel' not having been used prior to the Civil War?

I am a proud African-American AND a proud Tar Heel!

I will never click on an N&O article!

I agree with removing the names of avowed racists from buildings and removing statues that are a source of pain, but I disagree wholeheartedly with changing the nickname of the school!

While most historians do trace the nickname back to the Civil War, it became a source of pride when it came to mean the NC regiments stood their ground when others fled. Even though NC was on the wrong side, I think the term itself is actual heritage and not hate! (NC was one of the last two states to secede from the Union so at least we considered it before jumping ship!)

(The Battle flag and statues cannot be separated from their hate however!)

how are chunks of concrete (statues) a source of pain?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT