ADVERTISEMENT

PJ Washington OV

https://twitter.com/pjwashington_25

I'm not seeing much ky on it. It seems sort of pointless to worry too much about a recruits twitter though.
Referring to his following of the GOAT. Some girl from ky. In my opinion one can tell where a kids heart is through social media. not a end all be all, but informative. BTW not worried. Bball is a sport and definitely not a situation that I can change.

Referring to his following of the GOAT. Some girl from ky. In my opinion one can tell where a kids heart is through social media. not a end all be all, but informative. BTW not worried. Bball is a sport and definitely not a situation that I can change.

Agree with all the stuff you said here, my point was more that I generally don't value twitter as highly as most. Both you and Gary make valid points though.

Reactions: alabamaheel
I just don't get it guys. Why would a bball recruit summon the HOF UNC coach to fly across the country ?????? But I'm an old school bb fan that used to love watching the Lee Dedmon types that would go to a school to get a quality education first w/bb being secondary. Guess I'm a dinosaur... but I'm good with it.

I just don't get it guys. Why would a bball recruit summon the HOF UNC coach to fly across the country ?????? But I'm an old school bb fan that used to love watching the Lee Dedmon types that would go to a school to get a quality education first w/bb being secondary. Guess I'm a dinosaur... but I'm good with it.

Well in fairness we dont know wether he did or Roy is going on his own accord to watch or talk with him.

Reactions: alabamaheel
Did he call on Roy, or vice versa? I don't mind either. In fact I hope its the first one.

Agree with all the stuff you said here, my point was more that I generally don't value twitter as highly as most. Both you and Gary make valid points though.
Well, it's not just twitter... Instagram is sometimes more popular with kids. I believe he followed some of our guys following his visit. Either way, with some kids you can pretty much tell where they're going with their social media patterns, with others not so much. PJ doesn't seem to be as loquacious on social media as some.

And PJ is very high on Kentucky.
Arright... I know this is gonna fall on deaf ears but here goes:
1) So, PJ is very high on uk. PJ is also very high on UNC. You don't know whom PJ is higher on nor do I.
2) I can tell you that a coach from one school visiting a recruit right after he visits another school is a COMMON recruiting practice. It is no indication of anything beyond the fact that this is a critical phase of PJ's recruitment. I would expect no less from Roy when he prioritizes a player, and he's done it before. And the head man showing up instead of an assistant means something, so good on Roy for putting on the personal touch.
3) Step away from the ledge. We are recruiting a top player against two very formidable opponents, neither of whom quite frankly have any scruples as to how they go about things... the kind of stuff we've battled against for years. Roy is giving it his best honest shot which is pretty doggone strong. If that's not enough that would suck, but in that event it would be on to the next man.

Arright... I know this is gonna fall on deaf ears but here goes:
1) So, PJ is very high on uk. PJ is also very high on UNC. You don't know whom PJ is higher on nor do I.
2) I can tell you that a coach from one school visiting a recruit right after he visits another school is a COMMON recruiting practice. It is no indication of anything beyond the fact that this is a critical phase of PJ's recruitment. I would expect no less from Roy when he prioritizes a player, and he's done it before. And the head man showing up instead of an assistant means something, so good on Roy for putting on the personal touch.
3) Step away from the ledge. We are recruiting a top player against two very formidable opponents, neither of whom quite frankly have any scruples as to how they go about things... the kind of stuff we've battled against for years. Roy is giving it his best honest shot which is pretty doggone strong. If that's not enough that would suck, but in that event it would be on to the next man.

The indications at the moment are that he favors UK. But the fact that we're one of his final 3 also bodes well. He had a great visit and that was important.

I concur with you on 2. No issue there.

I'm not panicking yet. I realize this isn't over. AZ and KY are strong opponents. And what scares me is that they'll use the lack of NBA starpower and OADs against Roy. Ethics don't concern me here. I just want to land a big time player.

Question for those of you that feel Ky leads for PJ, it feels to me as if the real steam for this belief picked up after we were reminded that PJ was going to late night at Ky. Even thou PJ had made those plans to be at Ky late night well in advance, it seemed that when he made sure everyone knew where he was going for that night that the band wagon got loaded with folks feeling our chance at the kid had slipped away. So I am wondering how much of this PJ to Ky is because he went to their late night and not ours?

The only other argument I can see is that Ky is a pipe for the one & done players to the NBA. Problem with that argument is that has not changed, that was just as much true when the majority of the Tar Heel faithful believe we led for the kid so there has been no change on that front. The only thing I see as a change is PJ attended their late night and not ours.

So I sincerely, I respectfully, ask how much of a factor you see his attending their late night was in your belief that Ky is the far and away leader for the kid?

Judging by the visit and our chances, I really don't see how things aren't looking good.

Regardless of who called the meeting (which it sounds like it was PJ's camp, since both team coaches visited on the same day), the fact that both UK and UNC went out there shouldn't be misconstrued as bad news.

IMO, I think it's just a meeting to "Touch base" after all the visits. And he may very well do the same with Arizona (and apparently UNLV).

We're about at the homestretch of his recruitment, and I'd say we're doing much better than we have done in recent years with recruits of this caliber.

And keep in mind that Zona might be landing 1 or more top rated recruits in Ira Lee or Brandon McCoy very soon. Should that happen, it should only strengthen our chances with both PJ and Vanderbilt.

Question for those of you that feel Ky leads for PJ, it feels to me as if the real steam for this belief picked up after we were reminded that PJ was going to late night at Ky. Even thou PJ had made those plans to be at Ky late night well in advance, it seemed that when he made sure everyone knew where he was going for that night that the band wagon got loaded with folks feeling our chance at the kid had slipped away. So I am wondering how much of this PJ to Ky is because he went to their late night and not ours?

The only other argument I can see is that Ky is a pipe for the one & done players to the NBA. Problem with that argument is that has not changed, that was just as much true when the majority of the Tar Heel faithful believe we led for the kid so there has been no change on that front. The only thing I see as a change is PJ attended their late night and not ours.

So I sincerely, I respectfully, ask how much of a factor you see his attending their late night was in your belief that Ky is the far and away leader for the kid?
Dave my answer would be that it didn't hurt kys chances any when he attended bbm. I have no insider info on his feeling about either school, but just in my own digging around they seem to be ahead. Although a lot of that may come from the "hype machine" factor. Btw, I still hate ky.

You're right. The moment the BBM visit was "reaffirmed", the media jumped back on the UK bandwagon. And it's somewhat justifiable, 2 visits in a nearly consecutive fashion.

But semantics matter. The visit had been in the works since July. Hell, we were still chasing Tilmon, Bamba, and others in July. I don't even think Washigton was our top target, or the most likely candidate.

You're right. The moment the BBM visit was "reaffirmed", the media jumped back on the UK bandwagon. And it's somewhat justifiable, 2 visits in a nearly consecutive fashion.

But semantics matter. The visit had been in the works since July. Hell, we were still chasing Tilmon, Bamba, and others in July. I don't even think Washigton was our top target, or the most likely candidate.

Rose, that is the point I have been trying to hammer all along and have withstood all kinds of negatives throw at me, I have stood by my opinion simply because no one has given me any reason to change, other than go along with the crowd and that has never been enough for me. That Ky late night was as you say "re-affirmed" and all the sudden everyone seemed to forget how PJs dad surprised him by paying for an un-official to us earlier. The media is going to jump on the Ky band wagon, anytime Ky gets involved with a kid they automatically grant Ky the lead, either them or duke. Kal has mastered the art of using the Ky hype and the media to craft his leadership for any player he wants. But the kids make their decisions, not the media, some buy in to that media driven hype and get wrapped up in it, I just don't think PJ strikes me as that kind of kid and I do not see a handler (other than his dad) looking for the personal profit like we saw happen with bam. I think PJ and his dad will see thru the smoke and hype and look for something real.

I don't think BBM was the main factor in the UK lean.

It's the relationship his father has with Payne and our experts using their sources who are very close to the Washington family to learn that UK was the leader.

I think PJ and his dad will see thru the smoke and hype and look for something real.

You're calling the last 7 NBA drafts smoke and hype?

I hate UK but calling what they offer smoke and hype is just not accurate. They have a great track record of getting kids to the league, something PJ and his dad have repeated often in interviews.

I hate UK but calling what they offer smoke and hype is just not accurate. They have a great track record of getting kids to the league, something PJ and his dad have repeated often in interviews.

Well yeah, I do consider it smoke and hype, unless those same kids that went one & done for Ky would not have been one & done at most any other power school then smoke & hype is what it is.

It is a self fulfilling prophesy, get top 5 players in every class and then take credit for being the only program that they could have been one & done with? Get the top recruiting class for those 7 years running and then take credit because a lot of them actually go one & done? That is smoke, it is only not smoke if those same players would not have been one & done elsewhere.

Is it your position that PJ can only be one & done if he plays for KY?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ned Cota
The indications at the moment are that he favors UK. But the fact that we're one of his final 3 also bodes well. He had a great visit and that was important.

I concur with you on 2. No issue there.

I'm not panicking yet. I realize this isn't over. AZ and KY are strong opponents. And what scares me is that they'll use the lack of NBA starpower and OADs against Roy. Ethics don't concern me here. I just want to land a big time player.
Well... I'm not sure what AZ can claim for NBA star power --- they'll push their loaded '17 class and the chance to play with Ayton and a "chance" for a Natty, but make no mistake --- Miller is dirty, not only from a negative recruiting aspect (remember Markannen?) but from downright cheating. I'm hoping the Washingtons won't be susceptible to either of those sorts of shenanigans, but I ALWAYS worry about one of our prospects making it out of Tucson unscathed. kentucky has the stronger NBA case obviously and of course Calipari's a master salesman plus his skuzzy history speaks for itself.

PJ's dad may be the wild card --- i dunno for sure, something Clint said makes me think so --- but I am sure PJ himself has a very positive affinity for Carolina. He had a great two visits, had the best OV hosts he could've asked for in our resident fun-loving goofballs JB and Theo. Moreover, it comes through clearly in his comments that PJ "gets" what Carolina Basketball and our shade of blue is about..And of course, we've got the head man going Full-Roy on him.

As for the NBA, PJ made a point of saying in a recent interview that he can "get to the NBA from anywhere", and he has to know that if he signs here he'll waltz into a starting position as a hybrid-4 beside Tony B. and join an experienced team (not to mention Jalek) with a good chance at another FF run. And whether he wants to be OAD or 2AD, he'll be on a high-profile stage in the best league in the country in a great place supported by an unmatched alumni basketball family. There ya go --- just gave Roy's pitch ;). So that's all we can ask... and hope that's enough and that it turns out our way.

Reactions: reggaeheel
Well yeah, I do consider it smoke and hype, unless those same kids that went one & done for Ky would not have been one & done at most any other power school then smoke & hype is what it is.

It is a self fulfilling prophesy, get top 5 players in every class and then take credit for being the only program that they could have been one & done with? Get the top recruiting class for those 7 years running and then take credit because a lot of them actually go one & done? That is smoke, it is only not smoke if those same players would not have been one & done elsewhere.

Is it your position that PJ can only be one & done if he plays for KY?

No, he can be one and done at any major power.

That said, I think it's less about one and done and more about just dominating the draft. When a kid is thinking about what school will position himself best to have the best chance at being a high NBA draft pick, all Cal has to do is show him NBA.com pages of the past 7 drafts.

Since 2010...top 10 NBA picks:

UK - 10
UNC - 1

top 5:

UK - 5 (3 #1 overall picks).
UNC - 0

3 #1 overall picks in 7 drafts is nuts.

These are real numbers that kids look at...and hell, I would too if I were them.

I think the reason people think PJ is so high on Kentucky is because several recruiting analysts have stated as much. I would be surprised if he doesn't end up there but don't blame Roy for keeping at it.

Reactions: gary-7
I don't think BBM was the main factor in the UK lean.

It's the relationship his father has with Payne and our experts using their sources who are very close to the Washington family to learn that UK was the leader.
Agree there. From everything I've seen and picked up thru the AAU grapevine, if it was just PJ we'd be "leading" (whatever in the hell that even means), but Dad talks about looking out for that "business decision" --- but hey, Paul was the one who surprised PJ with first UNC visit after Peach Jam, so there's that...Looks like it will come down to a classic family decision. Let's hope it's straight up and it goes our way.

I think what @DSouthr meant was they do have a hype machine that pushes the hell out of what is no doubt a great track-record as to NBA guys... BUT it's sort of circular logic in that they specialize in recruiting OADs who would be going to the league anyway, likely not even playing college at all under the old rules.

Reactions: DSouthr
I think what @DSouthr meant was they do have a hype machine that pushes the hell out of what is no doubt a great track-record as to NBA guys... BUT it's sort of circular logic in that they specialize in recruiting OADs who would be going to the league anyway, likely not even playing college at all under the old rules.

Yeah, definitely agree with you and Dave in that these kids are going to the league no matter where they play (hell, Mudiay was half way around the world). Cal can just back it up with facts about his players.

Also Pj is not a OAD lock like many of you believe . Is bamba? Heck yes, but Washington is an undersized PF. And it's not always about if a player is OAD, it's where he's selected that matters. He'll towns wasn't even in discussion for #1 draft pick before he arrived at Kentucky. It was all about Okafor, but Towns season at Kentucky changed that. The coach has to use the players right and put them in the right situation to be succesful. Has Cal had some flubbs? Of course, every coach has, but there are way more success stories with Cal then there are dissapointments.

But that also pays dividends for the colleges who get them. Those kids see that Kentucky specializes in this system and are enticed by it. That's what some are trying to get across. That Roy has had one top 10 NBA pick this decade and UK has had 10 along with 3 #1's is hurting our perception.

Difference is that Roy's recruits always end up stying three of four years when they could've been one and done. Cal has tons of examples of players that were four star recruits out of HS that have turned into lotto picks, such as Booker and WCS. Roy needs to have a couple players go OAD or he will never be able to recruit at the level you guys are used to. Duke UK, KU and to a lesser extent Arizona, are all running the recruiting game. Maybe the recruiting and the game has passed Roy up.

Lol, and who are the ones that could've been OADs? Only guy(s) I recall being a sure fire lock in the first round was Barnes and McAdoo. And Barnes stayed behind due to the NBA Lockout. He would've been a OAD if not due to this.

Got any other than the 2 I just named?

Tons? You literally just named the only 1 in WCS.

Booker was a 5* and a McD AA. We're not counting that one as Cal turning anyone into anything.

Lmao, Cauley-Stein was projected a Top 20 pick before announcing his return. To say Cal "turned" him into a lotto pick is reaching pretty hard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT