ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (UVA game 2)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and that's a start.

The key to beating Tony's teams is to take good shots, stay disciplined on D, and don't do stupid shit. We weren't perfect on the last one (Lordy, some of those forces), but we did enough of that right to get to 70+ points (another key to beating UVA) and win one wire-to-wire.

- This may have been our best defensive game of the season, and the guys put the EFFORT in. Coming out of the under-12, Caleb absolutely stoned an iso in his best sequence on that end in forever... and THAT's what he's capable of. Mando (with one exception) was a beast in help-D, as was Leaky, and RJ did a very credible job on Clark.

- Speaking of D, MAJOR kudos to whoever on the staff had the scouting duties for this one --- we consistently anticipated their screen/flair/curl actions, and most times got to our help spots in time to thwart it --- thus the blocks from the backside.

- And on the D note... when Pete went to the 5 in the first half I cringed as usual, and he was a day late and a dollar short... as usual. But... lemme tell ya, a big ol' fuse got lit somewhere along the line, because next time he turned into Wilt Chamberlain reincarnated, protecting the rim like a demon. And boy, did we NEED that, what with the invented calls that put Mando on the bench.

- In general, Pete carried the day for us at a key time when we were hitting a "danger zone". EASILY his best game as a Heel. Keep it up, big fella!

- Oh, and howz about our Guards hitting the boards? Another key to limiting their possessions. And welcome back, Puff.

- A continuing concern (one that some of you astutely identified in the last "stuff" thread) is our inaccurate passing in general --- not hitting guys where they can do something without recovering.

-- Also, Hubert again pushed the envelope by letting us get gassed in the second half, but fortunately Tony's guys were gassed as well and he called a timeout we badly needed.

- Kudos to Hubert and staff for not only being prepared and getting the guys' attention as to effort, but he used a nifty wrinkle on key set plays in the second half to take advantage of UVA's over-aggressive hedges --- 3 wide-open layups went a long way in holding off any UVA ralliy.

- Finally, make no mistake, when you take the court and Jamie Luckie's not the worst ref in the crew?... Phew!... that's a sign of a rough day to come (yeah Gaffney, I'm talking about you). Hell, #1 for UVA by himself could've earned jail time for the uncalled felonious assaults. So yeah, the fact we overcame that nonsense as well speaks volumes for a strong showing.

Anyway... our shot-selection was (mostly) better, and we thus made more. In general, we played hard, played (mostly) smart, and played (mostly) together. If we can elevate those "mostly"s, the rest of season might be more fun than many anticipated. Better be ready Monday though!... we shall see... :cool:

Last edited:
-- Also, Hubert again pushed the envelope by letting us get gassed in the second half, but fortunately Tony's guys were gassed as well and he called a timeout we badly needed.
He gave Trimble, Washington, Dunn, and Puff minutes in the first half. Only Puff played well.

Can't say I'm upset about the smaller 2nd half rotation.

Nice analysis. Glad to see someone say the refs were horrible. I saw more muggings than happened in a year in NY.
What's ironically funny is that Luckie was not as bad as usual... at least with the calls he could waddle over and make. Gaffney on the other hand?... well, I just hope the league office was watching.....

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
What's ironically funny is that Luckie was not as bad as usual... at least with the calls he could waddle over and make. Gaffney on the other hand?... well, I just hope the league office was watching.....
We made 17 they only shot 11!
facepalm-really.gif

- And on the D note... when Pete went to the 5 in the first half I cringed as usual, and he was a day late and a dollar short... as usual. But... lemme tell ya, a big ol' fuse got lit somewhere along the line, because next time he turned into Wilt Chamberlain reincarnated, protecting the rim like a demon. And boy, did we NEED that, what with the invented calls that put Mando on the bench.

- Finally, make no mistake, when you take the court and Jamie Luckie's not the worst ref in the crew?... Phew!... that's a sign of a rough day to come (yeah Gaffney, I'm talking about you). Hell, #1 for UVA by himself could've earned jail time for the uncalled felonious assaults. So yeah, the fact we overcame that nonsense as well speaks volumes for a strong showing.
1. One of the biggest disappointments this season so far is the lack of rim protection from our bigs, especially Bacot. We have let guys get uncontested layups all year. It's really depressing. Nance/Bacot should each average 3 blocks per game.:confused:

2. StatSheet did a study years ago and showed that Gaff is one of the 10 worse refs in the country. Unfortunately they closed shop in 2017. https://twitter.com/statsheet?lang=en

We made 17 they only shot 11!
facepalm-really.gif
LMFAO,

Dude... or whatever you are... if you actually watched that game and thought for a millisecond that the officiating was remotely competent, then you might want to grow some self-awareness, and never, EVER comment on a basketballl game again.

Seriously... just go away.

He gave Trimble, Washington, Dunn, and Puff minutes in the first half. Only Puff played well.

Can't say I'm upset about the smaller 2nd half rotation.
I didn't mind the rotation given how the game went (still would've given Dunn another look in the 2nd half), but why no Nickel? Is his defense that bad? It doesn't look it in his limited minutes. I know he's struggling to find shots, but shooting has been our Achilles heel in many games.

Maybe because Franklin and Beekman were too quick for him to guard.

A lot of good, and some still shaky stuff at this point, but the obvious is we hit 3's. Been getting good looks, gotta be respectable from there. We were more then respectable today.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7
Not sure why that when a team becomes know as “hard nosed” on the defensive end, how they can get away with what they do defensively. Yes, UNC shot more free throws, but UVA gets away with things on D that other teams simply cannot.
I made this comment to Dean Smith when he was at a fund raiser in Burlington years ago: "Coach, if I were an official, I'd foul all the players out by the end of the game and all the Dook players by half-time." He smiled and said, "You know, SOME coaches teach their players to foul every opportunity they can because officials can not and will not call them all."

Shane, it's been that way for DECADES in the ACC; UVA, dook, FSU, most recently, Pitt.
🤔 The zebras can't call every foul so they pick and choose.
This

Those teams are coached to be aggressive cause they know the refs can’t call everything. Heck Clark should have fouled out with all his arm bars and the blatant missed reach against RJ

The whole notion that the officials called a good game because Unc made more FT’s than the other team took is just a bad take. Teams that shoot a lot jumpers and don’t have a post presence naturally aren’t going to line much

I believe it was Richard Sherman from the Seahawks Legion of Boom defense in the NFL that said they grab and hold all game because they know that the officials will just stop calling it because they don’t want to throw flags all game.

Either Adapt your game to how the officials are calling it or stfu and take an L. And I guarantee you that in fan base polling of what team “gets the calls” unc would be at worst in top 3. So I’m skeptical our fan base is the only one gets it right. Truth is every fan base thinks they’re being unfairly treated by the officials and every fan base thinks unc and dook get preferential treatment. Every acc fan friend I have has their “unc got help from the officials that cost us the game” story if not several. Every single one. Sometimes the officiating is bad. Sometimes worse. We’ve been on both ends of blown calls and in my 50+ years of watching I can honestly say it usually evens out. It’s a human element that’s part of the game and it’s never gonna change.

LMFAO,

Dude... or whatever you are... if you actually watched that game and thought for a millisecond that the officiating was remotely competent, then you might want to grow some self-awareness, and never, EVER comment on a basketballl game again.

Seriously... just go away.
It gets old you complaining about officials every game, winn or lose! You sound like a clown doing it over and over, for lack of a better work you make us all look bad!

When it comes to refs you are the boy who cried wolf!

Their laughing at you on other boards because of your refs always suck talk.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7
Not to take a side in any of this spitting back & forth but I have consistently shared that I really do not like to spend much time fussing about ref calls, the quality of officiating across the board is as bad as I have ever seen and does seem to be getting worse. But I as well a firm believer that as a player and as a coach you have to play thru adversity and I do believe the quality of officiating is very much adversity, especially for the style we like to play, a lot of guards driving the paint looking to finish and a lot of passing to our big men, a style that typically draws more fouls.

I don't think we get as many fouls called in our favor when our big men are trying to finish, Bacot is having to finish thru a LOT of contact and rarely gets the call, RJ and Caleb are constantly getting fouled on their drives, RJ gets legally assaulted multiple times every game and it is just the style we play that should generate a lot of foul calls that we rarely if ever get.

One thing I want to see is our big men get the ball back the defender in to the block/charge circle and BUMB RUSH the defender, just plow directly in to him. It should be PHYSICALLY ATTACK as soon as that defender's foot steps in to that circle!

Not sure why that when a team becomes know as “hard nosed” on the defensive end, how they can get away with what they do defensively. Yes, UNC shot more free throws, but UVA gets away with things on D that other teams simply cannot.
Its why outside of the most fluke ncaa run in history (2019) they usually go home early in the tournament - other conference refs dont call the game the same way

I made this comment to Dean Smith when he was at a fund raiser in Burlington years ago: "Coach, if I were an official, I'd foul all the players out by the end of the game and all the Dook players by half-time." He smiled and said, "You know, SOME coaches teach their players to foul every opportunity they can because officials can not and will not call them all."
...and he wasn't joking.

Entering tonight's game, he was shooting the best 3pt % on the team in the month of February. His % would probably be even higher if his teammates stopped tossing him the ball with 5 seconds on the shotclock.

That's because if hes touching the ball too long it's a turnover or bad shot.

That makes him be more decisive...lol

It gets old you complaining about officials every game, winn or lose! You sound like a clown doing it over and over, for lack of a better work you make us all look bad!

When it comes to refs you are the boy who cried wolf!

Their laughing at you on other boards because of your refs always suck talk.
No, what is long past old is your constant assinine sniping.... and "their" is doing what?
You might want to read the rest of this thread, and get a remedial English lesson while you're at it.

. But I as well a firm believer that as a player and as a coach you have to play thru adversity and I do believe the quality of officiating is very much adversity, especially for the style we like to play, a lot of guards driving the paint looking to finish and a lot of passing to our big men, a style that typically draws more fouls.

I don't think we get as many fouls called in our favor when our big men are trying to finish, Bacot is having to finish thru a LOT of contact and rarely gets the call, RJ and Caleb are constantly getting fouled on their drives,

One thing I want to see is our big men get the ball back the defender in to the block/charge circle and BUMB RUSH the defender, just plow directly in to him.
It should be PHYSICALLY ATTACK as soon as that defender's foot steps in to that circle!
1. You think playing through the contact they allow now is that easy? 😏

2. Agree 100% and it's been that way for a while now. Look back to after RW started dominating from 2006-2009. Kay saw it and cried to the people in the ACC who would listen(Luckie, Kersey, Hess). Kay is the reason they made Kersey the ACC Head of Officials. Thank GOD for us Hess was dumb enough to use a racial slur in public or it would be worse.

3. Agree 100% again. Remember last season when Bacot nearly broke the jaw of the Virginia post player? I would have our bigs do that move every game against Pitt, Uva, dook.

Refs are getting worse on every level! I agree with the idea the players need to fight to finish through contact and to just play without expecting to get calls! BUT there is nothing at all wrong with pointing out when calls or the lack of calls affects the game either! It would be idiotic not to note that Bacot getting 4 fouls, especially if some were blatantly wrong could have derailed our game! It is clear that RJ getting beat up constantly impacts our play.

The sad part is some peeps just can't summon enough maturity to debate when peeps disagree without attacking like a child! It is also disturbing how some posters seem to focus only on trying to discredit those they do not like and never seem to try to add to the discussion! I will be better at this going forward because lately I am not proud of the anger I displayed!

Great win by the Tar Heels and a potential break out by Mr. Nance!

Good teams win, and consistently win, despite inconsistent and unfair refereeing. Let the conference worry about the refs, while we need to focus on coaching better and playing better.

In my opinion, we need to coach and play defense the way Tony Bennett and UVA do. Play very tight defense just short of being called for a foul on every play. Just dial the defense back a little if the fouls are coming too frequently, and then dare the referees to call a foul on every play. I would actually be overjoyed if we played defense the way UVA does and has for years under Bennett.

It was refreshing to see effort as well as some offensive movement and getting away from that 4 out stupidity but there were still moments of bad spacing and standing around in the wrong spots. Also good to see Puff getting some time and he has a really sweet stroke, to bad it took so late in the season to see it. Also appreciated the movement on the defensive side for a change. We really do need a consistent TRUE PG .. RJ is undersized and Caleb is .. well .. Caleb (nowhere near a pg). Still good to see something resembling bench use and the sense of urgency the group is starting to show. May be to little to late but it was a positive step on many fronts imho. Will they back it up Monday night against FS ??? Would be very positive to see the effort again and hopefully the shots will fall. After watching FS / Miami they will be lucky to steal one at their place.

It was refreshing to see effort as well as some offensive movement and getting away from that 4 out stupidity but there were still moments of bad spacing and standing around in the wrong spots. Also good to see Puff getting some time and he has a really sweet stroke, to bad it took so late in the season to see it. Also appreciated the movement on the defensive side for a change. We really do need a consistent TRUE PG .. RJ is undersized and Caleb is .. well .. Caleb (nowhere near a pg). Still good to see something resembling bench use and the sense of urgency the group is starting to show. May be to little to late but it was a positive step on many fronts imho. Will they back it up Monday night against FS ??? Would be very positive to see the effort again and hopefully the shots will fall. After watching FS / Miami they will be lucky to steal one at their place.
Nice Al.

Entering tonight's game, he was shooting the best 3pt % on the team in the month of February. His % would probably be even higher if his teammates stopped tossing him the ball with 5 seconds on the shotclock.
That is so true. Even the commentators mentioned that…At least he is not scared to shoot with the time clock is running down

That is so true. Even the commentators mentioned that…At least he is not scared to shoot with the time clock is running down
I heard that also. What I can’t for the life of me understand is when he’s open, he still takes a dribble and step back that ultimately makes his shot harder. It’s practiced that way and I get it, but it’s useless when you are open. My biggest gripe of Love going to anything Lillard held this past summer, is what he’s “learned”

Good take as usual. What gives me a headache is seeing them dribble the dang ball around the perimeter for 25 seconds then force shots with the clock running out. RJ and Caleb will dribble the air out of the ball.

I heard that also. What I can’t for the life of me understand is when he’s open, he still takes a dribble and step back that ultimately makes his shot harder. It’s practiced that way and I get it, but it’s useless when you are open. My biggest gripe of Love going to anything Lillard held this past summer, is what he’s “learned”
Watch him shoot. Love now mimics Lillard by taking his finger tips off the ball midway through the shooting motion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT