ADVERTISEMENT

Razor Thin Margin for Error

NorCalTarheel

All-ACC
Gold Member
Apr 20, 2017
I don't know that it is just because we are nearing the end of the processes, but man it seems like coach Davis has created a very thin margin of error on our three main recruitment needs from the portal.

We need a three-point shooter and the only name on our board is Cade Tyson. While it sounds like he could announce as early as today, we've also heard that for a week now. I do believe we get Tyson but we don't have anyone else in the hopper that I have even heard of.

We need a four to replace Ingram. We have gone all in on Theiro, who is visiting Pitt this weekend and I know the Intel says the staff feels good about Theiro, but I also remember them feeling good about Bradshaw. Again, don't know who is in the queue should we whiff on Theiro.

We need a quality five in a big way. This might be our best chance in that we have two potential players to fill the void. Omoruyi has a visit scheduled, Aidoo claims he will visit after he is done in Fayetteville. Again though, if we miss on both, and even if not for the lack of trying, where do we go?

None of this is a criticism on Coach Davis or the staff and maybe it's just because, as I said earlier, we are just nearing the end of the processes, but a miss on any of our three positions and we will have some serious hills to climb next season.

Trust in Hubert. As gross and dirty as portal season feels, it's still pretty exciting to sit and watch our team form.

As always, it's a GDTBATH!!!

I read somewhere that Louisville has signed 7 players. Money talks and UNC looks to have little to spend.

• Sad
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I read somewhere that Louisville has signed 7 players. Money talks and UNC looks to have little to spend.
I just don't see how that is possible. The UNC brand is multiple times that of Louisville (and other big spending schools).

It would make more sense to me to hear that we are Uber selective on who we spend it on then that we don't have enough to spend.

Of course that is my opinion only.

I’ll be willing to sign up to play this year since nobody else seems to want to join. I’m only asking 1.5 million and of course housing for the extended family. Call me Hubert.

A 4 and a 5 is more important than Cade Tyson. Yes, we need shooting in a major way, but we can always play smaller at the 3. But you CANNOT play small inside. That came to haunt us on the Coby White team when we only had Maye and Brooks as our bigs. Brooks was too small for a center and we had zero depth down low.

And at this rate, Maye and Brooks is a helluva lot better than what we currently have at the 4 and 5 spots. So if we couldn't win then, we can't win now. We need help down low. Just my opinion.

I just don't see how that is possible. The UNC brand is multiple times that of Louisville (and other big spending schools).

It would make more sense to me to hear that we are Uber selective on who we spend it on then that we don't have enough to spend.

Of course that is my opinion only.
Im right with you on this and granted maybe we don't get to see all the behind the scenes stuff but there are few bigger brands then UNC in all of college how do they not have just an insane NIL base

I’ll be willing to sign up to play this year since nobody else seems to want to join. I’m only asking 1.5 million and of course housing for the extended family. Call me Hubert.
Cash app me .5 million I’ll Uber tonight! I will I promise you I will! Noooooocap!

Tired Kevin James GIF by TV Land

Reactions: Ozheelfan
I don't know that it is just because we are nearing the end of the processes, but man it seems like coach Davis has created a very thin margin of error on our three main recruitment needs from the portal.

We need a three-point shooter and the only name on our board is Cade Tyson. While it sounds like he could announce as early as today, we've also heard that for a week now. I do believe we get Tyson but we don't have anyone else in the hopper that I have even heard of.

We need a four to replace Ingram. We have gone all in on Theiro, who is visiting Pitt this weekend and I know the Intel says the staff feels good about Theiro, but I also remember them feeling good about Bradshaw. Again, don't know who is in the queue should we whiff on Theiro.

We need a quality five in a big way. This might be our best chance in that we have two potential players to fill the void. Omoruyi has a visit scheduled, Aidoo claims he will visit after he is done in Fayetteville. Again though, if we miss on both, and even if not for the lack of trying, where do we go?

None of this is a criticism on Coach Davis or the staff and maybe it's just because, as I said earlier, we are just nearing the end of the processes, but a miss on any of our three positions and we will have some serious hills to climb next season.

Trust in Hubert. As gross and dirty as portal season feels, it's still pretty exciting to sit and watch our team form.

Why do you say "We are nearing the end of the process "?
Portal closes to those not yet entered, but the 1,800 plus players don't just vanish into a black hole 😉
We can still recruit them.
Also Don't be completely surprised if Withers, High or Washington enter before the deadline. I don't know/ think they will. But present day players like to keep all their options open.
I think we are setting pretty good for Theiro and Omoruyi , although I wish another shooter was available at the 4 spot.
I am hoping Theiro makes that big jump that a lot of people from UK were fully expecting in 24/25

Portal closes to those not yet entered, but the 1,800 plus players don't just vanish into a black hole 😉
Also Don't be completely surprised if Withers, High or Washington enter before the deadline. I don't know/ think they will. But present day players like to keep all their options open.
I think we are setting pretty good for Theiro and Omoruyi , although I wish another shooter was available at the 4 spot.
I am hoping Theiro makes that big jump that a lot of people from UK were fully expecting in 24/25
Those three will play next season in Chapel Hill. Natty run taking shape...🏀

Great point wiz. I guess I don't see the quality level players that would make the type of impact that we are looking for at the four and five outside of our current targets that are currently in the portal.

My " end of the process" was more geared towards the current targets but your point is valid nonetheless.

I understand there are still 3 days until the portal closes but we don't have that grad school possibility down the road like previous years.

I like Theiro and the possibility of Withers and Washington competing for minutes at the four. I think between the three we will get what we need. It might be one of them. It might be two of them or it might be all of them.

I also like the combo of Omoruyi and JWash manning the 5.

We will know in the next 3 days what we have to choose from but I'm not sure many fours and fives better than the targets we are after will emerge.

Fun times for sure.

Not to argue, but some of this is just a bit overstated. As I've said, Tyson was never really in doubt once he visited, and he brings way more to the table than a lot of fans seem to appreciate.

Also, I don't recall anyone in the program ever "feeling good" about Bradshaw --- and TBH, he ain't "all that" --- right now, Bradshaw is more potential than player. I also have not heard anything about feeling good about Theiro --- only that we're taking a strong shot at him. "All in" may be a bit of a stretch, but we're certainly trying.

As for a 5, Omoruyi is our top target, and rightly so, but if we do get him, that could very well be the end of our additions, and if so, I would be fine with that. With that said, right now, I am concerned about him visiting that cesspool in Tuscaloo$a...

Great point wiz. I guess I don't see the quality level players that would make the type of impact that we are looking for at the four and five outside of our current targets that are currently in the portal.

My " end of the process" was more geared towards the current targets but your point is valid nonetheless.

I understand there are still 3 days until the portal closes but we don't have that grad school possibility down the road like previous years.

I like Theiro and the possibility of Withers and Washington competing for minutes at the four. I think between the three we will get what we need. It might be one of them. It might be two of them or it might be all of them.

I also like the combo of Omoruyi and JWash manning the 5.

We will know in the next 3 days what we have to choose from but I'm not sure many fours and fives better than the targets we are after will emerge.

Fun times for sure.
To your point, more options could be available in next three days. I feel the stress a little too, as I think we are back to thinking FF each year once again.
We currently have a FF backcourt, but an average at best frontcourt.

Not to argue, but some of this is just a bit overstated. As I've said, Tyson was never really in doubt once he visited, and he brings way more to the table than a lot of fans seem to appreciate.

Also, I don't recall anyone in the program ever "feeling good" about Bradshaw --- and TBH, he ain't "all that" --- right now, Bradshaw is more potential than player. I also have not heard anything about feeling good about Theiro --- only that we're taking a strong shot at him. "All in" may be a bit of a stretch, but we're certainly trying.

As for a 5, Omoruyi is our top target, and rightly so, but if we do get him, that could very well be the end of our additions, and if so, I would be fine with that. With that said, right now, I am concerned about him visiting that cesspool in Tuscaloo$a...
No argument seen there, just good conversation!

Cade was widely rumored to be ours pre-visit if I remember correctly, it just took longer than many (me included) were comfortable with.

Some of the info you are sharing is slightly different than what I read on the paid side (contest winner 🏆)😁. Not gonna go further than that while I learn to navigate the etiquette.

Why do you feel like we would not pursue a 4 if we land Omoruyi? We'd still need a 4 to, at minimum battle for minutes with our JW's.

Reactions: gary-7
Honest question does UNC have any high roller donors other than MJ? Im talking billionaires like how Arkansas has Jerry Jones and Walmart money. Texas A&M oil family money

No argument seen there, just good conversation!

Cade was widely rumored to be ours pre-visit if I remember correctly, it just took longer than many (me included) were comfortable with.

Some of the info you are sharing is slightly different than what I read on the paid side (contest winner 🏆)😁. Not gonna go further than that while I learn to navigate the etiquette.

Why do you feel like we would not pursue a 4 if we land Omoruyi? We'd still need a 4 to, at minimum battle for minutes with our JW's.
If we get our preferred 5 (Omoruyi), that would give us four guys of the 6'9+ variety, and Tyson is a fairly long 6'7 who could be a Hybrid in a "small" lineup. I also think most fans are sleeping on High making a Soph leap. Big kids develop later than other players and High has mountains of potential.

Speaking of the 5 position, as I suspected, we ain't getting Aidoo --- I was never a fan anyway for various reasons --- and i figured he wouldn't make it past the $$$ bags west of here, IYKWIM. The (perhaps) good news however is that the bama crooks might pick up another one of their Big targets, so hopefully we'll get a clean pop at our preferred guy.

So again, IF we get our 5, that makes adding a 4 a luxury, TBH. Thus, it would hafta be the right guy --- like someone you just don't turn away. Is Theiro that type of guy? We shall see..

Last edited:
End of the day UNC has to get out of the ACC to be competitive moving forward…Just not enough money to go around…

Reactions: RP12
Mostly the outside of the net!

Take a 5 and call it a day! The team would then be very deep with all peeps being able to contribute! Work their arses off in practice (while building that same incredible team camaraderie) and see who floats/fights to the top! I fully expect to see some extremely intense practices leading to a great shooting, tough, strong, aggressive team that backs down from nobody! I cannot wait to see them in action but I especially want to see what they grow into by ACC time!

Mostly the outside of the net!

Take a 5 and call it a day! The team would then be very deep with all peeps being able to contribute! Work their arses off in practice (while building that same incredible team camaraderie) and see who floats/fights to the top! I fully expect to see some extremely intense practices leading to a great shooting, tough, strong, aggressive team that backs down from nobody! I cannot wait to see them in action but I especially want to see what they grow into by ACC time!
I can't say I disagree........unless a no Brainerd becomes available. Adding a redundant 4 slows the development of Zayden High and probably eliminates J Wash getting time at the 4 ( If he were to show he can defend there)
If Thiero was already where some prognostication him to be, I say YES! but he isn't there yet. I am still VERY HIGH 🌟 on HIGH

I can't say I disagree........unless a no Brainerd becomes available. Adding a redundant 4 slows the development of Zayden High and probably eliminates J Wash getting time at the 4 ( If he were to show he can defend there)
If Thiero was already where some prognostication him to be, I say YES! but he isn't there yet. I am still VERY HIGH 🌟 on HIGH

I'm not high on High.

Withers is not starting material.

I do not think Washington can play the 4. At all.

Cade is too small to spend much time at the 4.

We need a 4.

Reactions: Heelicious
The optimism for Zayden High is really interesting because he didn't play enough to make an informed opinion either way as a freshman. I just find it interesting more than anything else.

UNC hasn't really been a program that takes players who don't play much as freshmen, and they become high-level players later on. High played 7.9% of all minutes as a freshman.

Will Graves played 12% of all minutes as a freshman and had an uneventful career
Tyler Zeller played 7% of all minutes as a freshman, but that was due to injury
Stillman White/Jackson Simmons/Desmond Hubert all played less than 15% of minutes as a freshman
Kenny Williams/Luke Maye played less than 12% of minutes as a freshman
Brandon Huffman played 6% of minutes as a freshman
Puff Johnson played 5% of minutes as a freshman
Dmarco Dunn played 6% of minutes as a freshman

I know UNC has a reputation of developing big guys, but almost all of them played some minutes as freshmen. Luke Maye is the exception, but he played 11.1% of all minutes as a freshman... More than High, and somewhat significantly more.

High is just a complete unknown right now. And if anyone thinks he's going to be good, it would take something that UNC really hasn't seen since maybe Reyshawn Terry if you don't count Luke Maye. Almost all of the examples of UNC's development happened for players who played significantly more as freshmen than High did.

The optimism for Zayden High is really interesting because he didn't play enough to make an informed opinion either way as a freshman. I just find it interesting more than anything else.

UNC hasn't really been a program that takes players who don't play much as freshmen, and they become high-level players later on. High played 7.9% of all minutes as a freshman.

Will Graves played 12% of all minutes as a freshman and had an uneventful career
Tyler Zeller played 7% of all minutes as a freshman, but that was due to injury
Stillman White/Jackson Simmons/Desmond Hubert all played less than 15% of minutes as a freshman
Kenny Williams/Luke Maye played less than 12% of minutes as a freshman
Brandon Huffman played 6% of minutes as a freshman
Puff Johnson played 5% of minutes as a freshman
Dmarco Dunn played 6% of minutes as a freshman

I know UNC has a reputation of developing big guys, but almost all of them played some minutes as freshmen. Luke Maye is the exception, but he played 11.1% of all minutes as a freshman... More than High, and somewhat significantly more.

High is just a complete unknown right now. And if anyone thinks he's going to be good, it would take something that UNC really hasn't seen since maybe Reyshawn Terry if you don't count Luke Maye. Almost all of the examples of UNC's development happened for players who played significantly more as freshmen than High did.
Brice johnson and Isaiah Hicks.

Hicks only got 7 mins a game and brice got 10 on teams that played 2 bigs the entire time.

ZH has a great motor which is a huge intangible for a 4.

Foul less and hit a couple shots and hes ready to be a good bench contributor. Hes the type of kid that will rebound better than his size.

I just don’t understand why people are low on him “because we dont know”. Kid was 70th or so in his class with a year at UNC under him, marking him down as a non factor is wild.

Brice johnson and Isaiah Hicks.

Hicks only got 7 mins a game and brice got 10 on teams that played 2 bigs the entire time.

ZH has a great motor which is a huge intangible for a 4.

Foul less and hit a couple shots and hes ready to be a good bench contributor. Hes the type of kid that will rebound better than his size.

I just don’t understand why people are low on him “because we dont know”. Kid was 70th or so in his class with a year at UNC under him, marking him down as a non factor is wild.
Hicks played in all 34 games as a freshman. Brice played in all 36 games as a freshman. High was a healthy DNP for almost 1/3 of the games wasn't he? That's why I used the % of minutes instead of minutes per game. Unless I'm forgetting about a significant injury that caused High to miss several games.

It was also apparent that Brice could score right away. Wasn't Hicks a top-15 recruit? So he was seen as a much better prospect as a freshman.

Hicks played in all 34 games as a freshman. Brice played in all 36 games as a freshman. High was a healthy DNP for almost 1/3 of the games wasn't he? That's why I used the % of minutes instead of minutes per game. Unless I'm forgetting about a significant injury that caused High to miss several games.

It was also apparent that Brice could score right away. Wasn't Hicks a top-15 recruit? So he was seen as a much better prospect as a freshman.
Both of those kids wouldve played significantly less in HD’s systems than Roy’s so i think the comparison is apt.

I'm not high on High.

Withers is not starting material.

I do not think Washington can play the 4. At all.

Cade is too small to spend much time at the 4.

We need a 4.
All Fair points.
Then, who is that 4?
I can make a reasonable argument that each weakness in the 4 players you listed has been written/ spoken about Thiero in the last two years. I have witnessed it many times my self. I watch almost all of UK games each year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT