ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: class of 2016

Haha ok, I will give quick samples because I don't feel like going through every stat, plus I figured the naked eye could see how much these kids have improved from their freshman years:

Paige shot about 35% from the floor his freshman year, sophmore year? 44%

Britt shot 25% from 3 point land his freshman year, last year 36%

Brice Johnson doubled his points and rebounds from freshman to sophmore year

Kennedy Meeks averaged 4 points more and shot a higher % from freshman to sophmore year

Isiah Hicks, 1.2 pts a game his freshman year, 6.6 last year, fg % from .41% to 54%

Tokoto's 3P% at UNC
9%
22%
37%

So I take it you are saying all of them were "a lot better"?
My answer would be Paige, Britt and Hicks were a lot better. Johnson and Tokoto were better but I wouldn't say "a lot better". Meeks = usage - he played more but at relatively the same level.

I'm just saying it's not a lock that Berry/Pinson/Jackson will all be a lot better this year. I hope they are because Jackson (and Berry to the extent that he played) had pretty good Fr. years. If they all improve at a good clip, this year could be pretty fun to watch.

CC

So I take it you are saying all of them were "a lot better"?
My answer would be Paige, Britt and Hicks were a lot better. Johnson and Tokoto were better but I wouldn't say "a lot better". Meeks = usage - he played more but at relatively the same level.

I'm just saying it's not a lock that Berry/Pinson/Jackson will all be a lot better this year. I hope they are because Jackson (and Berry to the extent that he played) had pretty good Fr. years. If they all improve at a good clip, this year could be pretty fun to watch.

CC

True, it definitely isn't a lock. For Berry and Pinson however, if they just stay healthy our team is better than last year!

I would say all were a lot better in some facet. Tokoto was also improved his FT% by a good margin. Brice bulked up where he could play more minutes, same with Meeks and losing weight. Those two couldn't stay on the court for long their Freshman year.

True, it definitely isn't a lock. For Berry and Pinson however, if they just stay healthy our team is better than last year!

No doubt. I think if those two (and Paige) can stay healthy and Berry can start the year like he finished last season, this team will be pretty darn good.

CC

Haha ok, I will give quick samples because I don't feel like going through every stat, plus I figured the naked eye could see how much these kids have improved from their freshman years:

Paige shot about 35% from the floor his freshman year, sophmore year? 44%

Britt shot 25% from 3 point land his freshman year, last year 36%

Brice Johnson doubled his points and rebounds from freshman to sophmore year

Kennedy Meeks averaged 4 points more and shot a higher % from freshman to sophmore year

Isiah Hicks, 1.2 pts a game his freshman year, 6.6 last year, fg % from .41% to 54%

Tokoto's 3P% at UNC
9%
22%
37%

The above improvement does NOT equal Nba ready (using the stats above)...

Jesus, Pinson, JJ and Berry are studs, and we're lucky to have those quality young men..I'm frickin thrilled and can't wait for tomorrow--tranquilize me and wake me up at 6pm central time! Go Tar Heels!

Jarrett Allen recently commented that UNC is one of the 5 teams recruiting him the hardest. I guess Roy hasn't given up on a big or 2. KU , UK , Tex and Houston being the other 4. No planned visits and no timetable for a decision. per Zag's Blog.

Last edited:
The point is, is that Texas hasn't been real kind to Roy in recruiting since his return to UNC. Hell, other than Iowa, no state west of the Mississippi has been real kind to us. Good thing Alkins and Udoka are east coasters. ;)

"It's got to be based on my relationship with the coach and big man style of play and how I fit their system," Azubuike said.
HELLO??? Common sense who you choose

Wow huge sample size. I guess in a "win the game situation you want Berry taking the 3"? If so I am glad you aren't the HC. I like Berry but I am not there yet.

While on the one hand I will agree with ya, Joel is not what I would call a great jump shooter, as I consider Marcus, Donald Williams, Lebo, and a few others former players, that I will agree with you on. BUT and it is a pretty big BUT, what I absolutely love about Joel is that he takes really really great shots and he makes a solid % of those great shots. He does not tend to take the heat checks we saw from Lmac last season, he takes shots in rythem and having a good look, Marcus does not always do that. Funny how the quality of a shot makes a shooter much better? While Marcus is the lead left, Joel is the follow up right and that makes for a successful combination!

Because we are preseason #1, and have the same team we had last year. That is why so much talk about 2016.

I believe we will be a better team, but there is a chance we are the same team as last year and most Tarheel fans like myself know that.

We may be playing the same players we had available last season but this team is MUCH better than last seasons team even factoring in the injurys we had last season that lingered. The huge difference is that we now have a PG and a 2 guard playing in their natural positions, we are not trying to have a wing play either the 1 or the 2. We have both 1 & 2 guards that are able to knock down open looks jump shots, teams can not dare one of our guys (maybe with the exception of Theo) to jump shoot, last season teams left JP and dared him to be a jump shooter.

WE this season have front to back court balance and exceptional depth across every position on the floor, Brice comes out Hicks comes in or luke or now James is playing value added minutes while Meeks is playing his way back in to the starting line up. Jackson and Theo have the wing nailed down, I love Marcus, Joel, Nate, and kenny Williams can contribute and will more & more.

JP by leaving was addition by subtraction, not becasue he was a bad seed but his not being there cleared the way for Roy to not have to use a wing as a 1 or 2 (other than the beginning of the season when Marcus was hurt). Now we have floor balance, such an important thing for a teams success, and we have it very deep in a rotation.

And as for the same players, anyone that does not see the amazing improvement in Hicks just isn't watching, it is maybe the most amazing transformation from soph to Jr season I can ever recall, it is stunning. Joel berry, kid basically gave us nothing for what, 3/4 of last season, he is now carving his name in Tar Heel legend. Look at Brice, does not hang his head nearly like he did in seasons past, keeps on playing no matter what. His offense is not flowing he drops 8 big time big to big dimes and still manages to get 16pts. His offense is rolling he goes off for 39 and 23 boards, I missed the games he did that last season, I missed the games he did anything close to that last season, I even missed the reporting on those games last season he came any where close to that? Have ya noticed Joel James play since meeks went down, very very solid, nate is actually playing hawking man defense for the first time since being at UNC. Justin, many may not see it but that kid is MUCH better than last season, his treys are not falling but this kid is a wonderful passer, that floater is amazing, and he just seems more aggresive on both ends of the court.

The 2 guys that IMO have not shown that next level jump from last season to me are Meeks and Theo. Theo I didn't expect because he was on the shelf for basically the entire off season, his soph season is not much more than an extention of his freshman season, I think his real corner turn in developement will be after this season. Meeks, in truth, for me is the same Meeks from last season, pretty good, some games outstanding and some games I scratch my head. Meeks is always going to be vertically challenged, he does not have the get ups that Brice or Hicks have, I want to see him pin his defender inside the block charge circle and ATTACK his defenders body, go right thru him and walk to the foul line for the cash in. It tends to get a bit cuttie pie in avoiding contact, Brice struggled with that last season, Brice is attacking much more now, I want to see meeks attack his defender and make darn sure contact is made rather than look to avoid it. .

Marques Bolden down to UK , KU , dook and TCU. If he picks Kansas then UA is going to be riding the pine. Bolden is a much more skilled player.

Now hearing Kansas is out and Oklahoma is in.

Last edited:
Rawle Alkins is trending towards AZ , who he visits this weekend. Kid's head seems to get turned a lot.

So let's focus on the kids from #20 to #50. If they want to come to the Hill it will be first come, first served, I'll take a bunch of 3-4 year kids and hope we get a couple that are special. may already have one in Jalek. Ray saw him put on a show the other night!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT