ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: class of 2016

The geniuses over at IC apparently think Giles would be on the bench behind Hicks. If a contingent of UNC fans think seniority > talent, can't be surprised if top recruits question UNC's OAD cred. As a Duke fan, not complaining, but it's a weird perspective imo...

Well now that Knight Lite has completely gone over to the dark side and is pimping your fine academic institution as another OADU, you can't be complaining. And many of your fans were trash talking Cal for doing it a few short years ago. Come here, maintain a 1.5 for one semester, and then move on. And the more the merrier. You are welcome to that type of program, regardless of the success on the court it may bring.

Reactions: RP12
Giles has all but said UNC is not a priority . It's crazy to me that all the time Roy has put in recruiting Giles that his response is this. To me it's a bit disrespectful to Roy.

http://www.scout.com/story/1595192?s=75

Yeah, doesn't bode well for us. That statement (and lack of remarks about us) is telling. I'm surprised Roy is wasting his time also.

I'll also say this: and please don't take this as sour grapes because we really have no shot. But I watched a linked video here the other day and was disappointed by Giles' attitude on the court. It was a lot of stare downs, tongue wagging, and showboating after dunks, and good plays. I'm not saying he's a punk, but that video did him no favors. It's almost as if the person that created the video was trying to paint him as a jerk. Not sure about real basketball, but when I played pick up ball a lot, acting like that was a good way to have your legs taken out from under you.

Yeah, doesn't bode well for us. That statement (and lack of remarks about us) is telling. I'm surprised Roy is wasting his time also.

I'll also say this: and please don't take this as sour grapes because we really have no shot. But I watched a linked video here the other day and was disappointed by Giles' attitude on the court. It was a lot of stare downs, tongue wagging, and showboating after dunks, and good plays. I'm not saying he's a punk, but that video did him no favors. It's almost as if the person that created the video was trying to paint him as a jerk. Not sure about real basketball, but when I played pick up ball a lot, acting like that was a good way to have your legs taken out from under you.

Yeah this ship has sailed (if it was ever here to begin with).

I noticed the same thing in the semi-final of the Peach Jam. Giles team got beat by a kid hitting a buzzer beater and Giles was crying and refusing to acknowledge anyone after the play. I just think he is sometimes too emotional, bad or good. Acting like a 10 year old crying after an AAU game doesn't exactly paint the picture of being poised.

Yeah I agree the ship has sailed. Still I wonder where it all fell down with Giles and UNC to the point where he would make that type of statement. I believe we were really good with Giles at one point. I don't believe the NCAA stuff is the reason. It's gotta be something else. Roy and his staff is a class act so it couldn't be a personal issue with the staff but you never know with recruiting these days. A recruit doesn't get the amount of texts from a coaching staff that he want's and he get's into his feelings or something. I believe the ship has sailed but I'm still disappointed..

Why do so many WANT to exclude the obvious! We know for a fact that some coaches base their whole approach on bashing other programs. Why would anyone, without any real clue about the real answer, say the NCAA issues are not the answer? The most obvious answer is almost always the correct one guys no matter how much you want to say it isn't.

I think Giles is a game changing recruit and I will not bash him for acting like his age! I love a guy that hates losing so much he is excessive about his response waaaay more than a guy that takes losing in stride! Any coach worth his salt can help him understand how to channel that emotion into even better play.

Roy putting in work with this guy may not pay off now, but it will certainly show many others that we ARE perfectly willing to recruit OAD players and this perception is worth the effort.

I trust Roy and we are The Tar Heels!

Reactions: Bur-Heel
crying at an AAU game crosses the line. Tom Hanks said "there is no crying in baseball" I guess basketball is different. I used to cry when Carolina lost a big game but I was 10 and my dad questioned my manhood over it. I guess just a different time and a different place.

Udoka Azubuike just scheduled a visit to UNC for Oct 23-25. Adding a visit late in the process usually bodes well for that school, hope it rings true this time.

The difference between crying at a game you WATCHED and one you worked your tail off for your entire life to excel in and came up short in is the same as the difference between the ham and eggs breakfast question: The chicken is involved, but the pig is committed! Anyway, one of my all time favorite coaches has been known to succumb to emotion every now and then, sooo who am I to judge?

Wow, I had almost given up on Azubuike!

Join the Family: Giles, 7th, Lauri, and Az! We'll make you famous!

The timing for Azubuike is interesting. He schedules a visit to UNC right after he visits the team thought to be in the lead (FSU). Maybe things didn't go well on that visit.

Can't believe I'm asking this after where we were at 2 months ago, but does anyone know our scholly position after this season? Can we fit in a 5 player class if no one leaves?

Can't believe I'm asking this after where we were at 2 months ago, but does anyone know our scholly position after this season? Can we fit in a 5 player class if no one leaves?

We have 4 seniors on scholarship since Coleman was given one over the summer. I think we only had one to spare when Roy gave Coleman that scholarship. So no, I think if only the seniors leave, we have 4 to give out for 2016. But many are anticipating JJ being ready to jump.

We have 4 seniors on scholarship since Coleman was given one over the summer. I think we only had one to spare when Roy gave Coleman that scholarship. So no, I think if only the seniors leave, we have 4 to give out for 2016. But many are anticipating JJ being ready to jump.

Then we probably will have 5 to give out. JJ will most likely be gone by next year. At least, that's what most of the consensus feels.

Then we probably will have 5 to give out. JJ will most likely be gone by next year. At least, that's what most of the consensus feels.

Hope he plays well enough this year to jump. I think him leaving us for the NBA after this season means we've done something special this year so I'll take it.

Hope he plays well enough this year to jump. I think him leaving us for the NBA after this season means we've done something special this year so I'll take it.

Plus, it wouldn't hurt our rep if we had a guy or two leave early and get drafted in the first round.

Reactions: Archer2

Have a feeling JJ will not leave until he has that diploma in hand, think we have him for 3.

Reactions: Archer2
Brice also could blow up this year, but I think JJ might surprise us and stay since he is a different sort. All bets are off if we have a special season so who knows. Worrying about whether we have enough schollys sure is a change from peeps saying we wouldn't get anyone just a few weeks ago! I am so glad we have Roy!

Udoka Azubuike just scheduled a visit to UNC for Oct 23-25. Adding a visit late in the process usually bodes well for that school, hope it rings true this time.
How do you guys see him and Bradley on the court at the same time if we were to land him?..from all of the highlights on both of them..they both look like true centers that don't take alot of outside shots...can we take him and lauri?

How do you guys see him and Bradley on the court at the same time if we were to land him?..from all of the highlights on both of them..they both look like true centers that don't take alot of outside shots...can we take him and lauri?

Take 'em all. Sort it out later. We're in no position to do otherwise.

Trust
Trust me...i definitely want them all!!..but we may be at a point where it's a 4 man race for 2 schollys ..udoka,lauri,rawle & 7th...I'll be happy with any of the two who pledges first!!

I think Roy would go as far as to take 3 of those 4 if they all wanted to come. I would assume he'd then push JJ out the door. I don't mean that in a bad way. But Roy has to plan for the future. He knows how important this recruiting cycle is. He also knows how valuable having an early entry is.

I think room will be found for 5 if that happens. JJ is very likely to leave after this year and this is good for him and the program! I don't think he will need a push if he has the year many of us are anticipating. In any case, these wold be good problems to have if they come to pass. A 5 recruit class would really shut up the naysayers and put us back where we belong.

Go Tar Heels!

Join the Family guys, we never forget our own!

Rawle isn't coming to UNC.

It's a 3 man race for 2 schollys right now (but like someone said, we'd find a way to clear one up). I'll take any two of those 3 guys. A class of Bradley, Robinson, Seventh, and Lauri is a top 5 easily.

Luke Maye is on a year-to-year scolly. Roy could take 6. If the Heels win the title Joel Berry as the point guard, you could see Meeks and Berry leave along with Justin Jackson. I think Roy expects Meeks to leave if he has a good year. I see Meeks as a Wes Unseld type player in the NBA. Thus, you have James, Brice, Paige, Jackson, Berry and Meeks, plus Maye's scolly. That's 7 scollies. Thus, you have a nucleus of Britt, Pinson, Williams, Hicks and Maye coming back.

I see Meeks as a Wes Unseld type player in the NBA.

Man...I love Kennedy but really??? Wes was amazing in the league and could do a ton of things Kennedy cannot. Sorry, that's just a crazy comparison.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT