ADVERTISEMENT

Reidsville high school

tarheelfoeva

Sophomore
Nov 1, 2002
guys I'm in the Reidsville NC area & I follows their football team in which they are undefeated. When I tell you their qb is the truth trust me I mean it.. he's D-1 material. He's incredibly accurate plus he can through the long pass right on the money & it doesn't hurt that he's about 6'3" & about 230-40.If any of you guys have a contact I wish someone would put a bug in their ear. I'm just afraid that because he's playing for a 2a squad he may get overlooked.this kid is incredible plus they have a couple of other players I feel are D-1 material

Reactions: randman1
RHS grad myself and my son plays for the cross county rival. I know a LOT of the kids who play for Reidsville and, yes, they have a LOT of talent. Few get D1 scollys, though. Not sure why. I have heard some things, but nothing I would share in a public forum.

Even though my son plays for the rival school, he is good friends with a lot of these kids and I would love to see some of them playing in Chapel Hill. Don't know the QB as he is a transfer in to Reidsville. Most of the kids on the team grew up playing ball with my son, so that is how I know them. One in particular tied the state record for punt returns for TD's this season. I LOVE that kid! Austin Chestnutt is his name and he is a lot like Switz, IMHO. He actually has speed closer to Logan, but is Switz's size. May not play ball, but his dad said he may be in Chapel Hill next year because he wants to major in business. Outstanding kid and wonderful family, too.

Speaking of which, one of my son's teammates at Rockingham County HS just signed his LOI to play baseball for the 'Heels next year. Angel Zarate is a dang good ball player who I cannot wait to see play in Bosh! Good kid who I have known for many years. He and my son played together from rec baseball and football all the way up to now in HS. Good family, too. He has an older brother who is really good, but their youngest brother is going to be better than all of them. Dad played pro ball in the Latin leagues many years ago.

Lots of talent up here, but kids in Greensboro get the press before ours do.

That is good information and a shame that more teams including our Heels do not look that way. Reidsville has a great tradition.

RHS grad myself and my son plays for the cross county rival. I know a LOT of the kids who play for Reidsville and, yes, they have a LOT of talent. Few get D1 scollys, though. Not sure why. I have heard some things, but nothing I would share in a public forum.

Even though my son plays for the rival school, he is good friends with a lot of these kids and I would love to see some of them playing in Chapel Hill. Don't know the QB as he is a transfer in to Reidsville. Most of the kids on the team grew up playing ball with my son, so that is how I know them. One in particular tied the state record for punt returns for TD's this season. I LOVE that kid! Austin Chestnutt is his name and he is a lot like Switz, IMHO. He actually has speed closer to Logan, but is Switz's size. May not play ball, but his dad said he may be in Chapel Hill next year because he wants to major in business. Outstanding kid and wonderful family, too.

Speaking of which, one of my son's teammates at Rockingham County HS just signed his LOI to play baseball for the 'Heels next year. Angel Zarate is a dang good ball player who I cannot wait to see play in Bosh! Good kid who I have known for many years. He and my son played together from rec baseball and football all the way up to now in HS. Good family, too. He has an older brother who is really good, but their youngest brother is going to be better than all of them. Dad played pro ball in the Latin leagues many years ago.

Lots of talent up here, but kids in Greensboro get the press before ours do.
yes I agree & thanx for your imput.I read about the kid going to UNC for baseball..that's GREAT!! yea GSO kids get the press & probably because they are 4A schools but there's a lot of talent in Rockingham county..Chesnutt is a beast also...by the way, good luck & success to your son also...& I'm a Rock Graduate too!!!

Reactions: Littlejon
That is good information and a shame that more teams including our Heels do not look that way. Reidsville has a great tradition.
no doubt but of course it's because they are 2A & plus schools probably feel their schedule isn't strong enough....but this QB they have this year is a transfer from a 4A school & he is the absolute truth...Tanner Wilson...you can probably google his highlights on utube

Thanks Realfreedom!

tarheelfoeva - Reidsville went to NW Guilford (4A) and beat them this year. NW has beaten a LOT of good teams this year. Reidsville has rolled almost everyone they have played, too. NW was the closest game they have had and they beat them 24-14. Beat HP Andrews 37-14 and Northern Guilford 45-28. They haven't been scored on the last 5 games and their lowest scoring game in that stretch was 57-0 against Jordan Matthews.

So their schedule isn't a cakewalk by any means.

They have a lot of kids who could play college ball. Some DI talent, too. Shame more of their kids aren't getting offers.

Reactions: tarheelfoeva
This thread is why I put no stock in recruiting. Here we have kids that should at least get a look and zilch, while others get schollys who shouldn't be playing fraternity IMs.

I agree, UNC71-00, well, mostly anyway. Where I can see it from the coaches POV is that I think recruiting is an odds game. Coaches look at kids in big programs because they are competing against better competition most of the time, but also because they likely had to beat better competition to start, too. Odds are they will keep up that performing at the college level, so I can see where they would put more stock in some of these kids.

Where I agree with you is that they fail to see kids at smaller schools, some that have proven they can play with bigger schools, including bigger schools who have been at the top of the state in their class. Reidsville is one of those.These kids HAVE beaten bigger schools. They HAVE proven they can play with the best players in the state. And yet few of them will play in college. THAT is a shame and I agree, is one of the biggest failings of recruiting.

Some Reidsville kids have gone on to play at D1 schools. Na Brown, who was one of UNC's best WR's, came from Reidsville. Wisconsin has a kid playing now for them from Reidsville, and I believe he is a 3 year starter. DB, IIRC. Aside from that, Reidsville has had very few DI players. Why? Who knows? I have some guesses, but I am reluctant to share them here. Suffice to say I have had experience with one such kid who got NO help from the staff in how to get recruited. On the flip side, Rockingham County, where my kid plays, has had a LOT of kids play college football. Almost all have been at smaller schools, but the staffs have always been very helpful towards the kids and their parents. Problem is RC has had a terrible program for years and my son has had 3 different coaches in his 3 years there. Not that he has a shot at playing anywhere, but it has been rough on the kids. And us parents!

Last edited:

Anybody old enough should remember Scott Bankhead, in the conversation for best Heels pitcher ever. He's a Reidsville HS graduate. Was a helluva basketball player also, & football too I think but not 100% sure about that.

Scott was a few years ahead of me at Reidsville. Played on the FIRST Olympic baseball team. SPeaking of baseball, Bryan Mitchell, who pitches for the Yankees, played a few years ago at Rockingham County HS. In these parts if you play football, you go to Reidsville. If you play baseball, you go to Rockingham. Angel Zarate, ace of the Rockingham pitching staff and friend and teammate of my son, will suit up for the Tar Heels next year. Signed his LOI last week. Right now they have said he will play in the outfield, but may get some time on the mound. Kid has blazing speed and is one of the smartest hitters you will see.

Last edited:
Scott was a few years ahead of me at Reidsville. Played on the FIRST baseball team. SPeaking of baseball, Bryan Mitchell, who pitches for the Yankees, played a few years ago at Rockingham County HS. In these parts if you play football, you go to Reidsville. If you play baseball, you go to Rockingham. Angel Zarate, ace of the Rockingham pitching staff and friend and teammate of my son, will suit up for the Tar Heels next year. Signed his LOI last week. Right now they have said he will play in the outfield, but may get some time on the mound. Kid has blazing speed and is one of the smartest hitters you will see.

I'm familiar w/Angel, I'm very involved w/showcase baseball in NC & Va

FYI - Reidsville beat Madison HS 64-7 tonight in the opening round of the state playoffs. First points the Ram defense has allowed since September 30th game against NW Guilford.

Thanks Realfreedom!

tarheelfoeva - Reidsville went to NW Guilford (4A) and beat them this year. NW has beaten a LOT of good teams this year. Reidsville has rolled almost everyone they have played, too. NW was the closest game they have had and they beat them 24-14. Beat HP Andrews 37-14 and Northern Guilford 45-28. They haven't been scored on the last 5 games and their lowest scoring game in that stretch was 57-0 against Jordan Matthews.

So their schedule isn't a cakewalk by any means.

They have a lot of kids who could play college ball. Some DI talent, too. Shame more of their kids aren't getting offers.
I agree 100%

This thread is why I put no stock in recruiting. Here we have kids that should at least get a look and zilch, while others get schollys who shouldn't be playing fraternity IMs.
I just think this kid Tanner is going to be a steal to some d1 program that gets him at the last minute...last year I was at the game & Lonnie Galloway was there recruiting for West Carolina(I think)& I talked to him.He was sent there to look at a linebacker but he kept talking about Tanner..he was very impressed. now I think he's moved on to Louisville(I think)

Uhhh no lol. No disrespect to the kids at Reidsville High, but if they aren't getting D1 offers it's 99% likely because they don't deserve them.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Uhhh no lol. No disrespect to the kids at Reidsville High, but if they aren't getting D1 offers it's 99% likely because they don't deserve them.
Eh, I might place that percentage a bit lower. Look at a list of NFL players by college and you see quite a few examples of guys who got passed over by D1 schools. Recruiting is as much art as science.

Reactions: UNC71-00
OK Strum.
I will elaborate. Yes, schools occasionally fail to notice a recruit due to him playing at a small high school or whatever. But the back half of your poast -- and thus your reason for disregarding football recruiting altogether -- states that many players who do get D1 offers aren't even fit to play fraternity intramurals. That's just simply not true. Recruiting services may incorrectly peg a 3*** as a 4**** and vice versa, but they virtually never give a kid a ranking who turns out to be godawful.

Like I said, I have my own opinions about why more Reidsville kids don't get recruited, but none I will share in a public forum. Suffice to say that some of the rumors about these kids not being able to read the name on the jersey, much less spell it, are false. I know a lot of these kids and my wife teaches at Reidsville. One of the best players they have WILL be in Chapel Hill next year on an academic ride unless he decides he wants to play football, in which case he will have to settle for a scholarship at a lesser school. He is planning to major in business and I dare say there are few kids I love as much as him outside my own children. Academically he is as close to Morehead Scholarship level and most of the Valedictorians at any school around. Without saying anymore, he is also one of the best players on the field anytime they suit up and I would put him up against about any player at his position in the state. His dad said he has some smaller schools interested in him for football, but he hasn't decided if he wants to keep playing. Risk vs. reward kind of deal.

No, coaches will tell you academics aren't there in a lot of these kids, they are too small, not quick enough or any number of other things. I don't buy it. Na Brown was one of the best WR's at Reidsville when he played there, but he wasn't as talented as some they have had that never got a look. There is another reason a lot don't get looks and it has nothing to do with the kids.

Like I said, I have my own opinions about why more Reidsville kids don't get recruited, but none I will share in a public forum. Suffice to say that some of the rumors about these kids not being able to read the name on the jersey, much less spell it, are false. I know a lot of these kids and my wife teaches at Reidsville. One of the best players they have WILL be in Chapel Hill next year on an academic ride unless he decides he wants to play football, in which case he will have to settle for a scholarship at a lesser school. He is planning to major in business and I dare say there are few kids I love as much as him outside my own children. Academically he is as close to Morehead Scholarship level and most of the Valedictorians at any school around. Without saying anymore, he is also one of the best players on the field anytime they suit up and I would put him up against about any player at his position in the state. His dad said he has some smaller schools interested in him for football, but he hasn't decided if he wants to keep playing. Risk vs. reward kind of deal.

No, coaches will tell you academics aren't there in a lot of these kids, they are too small, not quick enough or any number of other things. I don't buy it. Na Brown was one of the best WR's at Reidsville when he played there, but he wasn't as talented as some they have had that never got a look. There is another reason a lot don't get looks and it has nothing to do with the kids.

You cant type all that and then not give us the reason.

You cant type all that and then not give us the reason.
Yeah, I don't follow. I literally can't think of one reason they wouldn't, other than lack of skill or lack of good high school competition. The academics argument doesn't hold water (which I know you said you kinda agree with). One of the best DTs in the country for the 2017 class is Aubrey Solomon from friggin Leesburg, Ga. I promise Reidsville High is no worse academically than Lee County High in Leesburg. Or any of the other high schools in South Georgia that UGA, FSU, and Bama scoop up every year.

Lets just say these kids don't always get the help with recruiting that other kids get. Mainly because helping them get scholarship isn't a priority. Winning football games is a priority, obviously, but not helping the kids. I won't say who is dropping the ball, but unless the parents take time to learn about the process on their own, take it upon themselves to do what it takes, INLCUDING filming the games themselves, and then go do all the leg work to get information in the right hands, these kids won't get a look.

A good example is a kid they had play for them a few years ago. I was coaching youth football at the time and this young man came and helped with a camp we had every year. The head coach of my kid's youth team asked him about college and he said he would love to play but hadn't heard from any coaches. As we dug deeper we found out he hadn't even started the recruiting process and he was already at the end of his junior year. NO ONE had even discussed college with him at all. He and his family had no clue what to do, who to contact or what coaches were looking for. So we set about getting the ball rolling for him. I put what little film on him I could find on a DVD and started making copies while the other coach started calling anyone and everyone he knew to see if anyone would give him a look. We managed to get a small college here in NC to give him a look. They ended up giving him a scholarship and he graduated and is doing quite well for himself now.

At my son's school just 2 weeks ago they had a session one night for the football players specifically to help them understand the recruiting process and give them the tools to get started. You would be surprised at the number of kids at Rockingham County HS who have played college football vs. the number at Reidsville. RCHS has had a handful of winning seasons since the school opened in the late 70's and has only beaten Reidsville ONE TIME. And they have played every year. And, yet, they have had more kids go on to play football in college than Reidsville has.

Reactions: UNC71-00
Update on the Rams - They beat Moutain Heritage last night 45-16. Mt. Heritage was 11-1 coming into the game and had what many considered to be the most formidable running game the Rams had faced all year. Big OL that has basically forced it's will on teams all year with a 3 yards and a cloud of dust kind of offense. Well, the Ram defense stepped up and shut them down before their high powered offense made sure the game was never really close.

http://www.greensboro.com/rockingha...cle_23b8ddc0-b3a8-11e6-960a-5bb64f83122f.html

I read this week that several Mt. Heritage fans were talking a LOT of smack. I don't know what they were thinking underestimating a team that has more NC state football championships than any other program in the state and who are looking like they are the team to beat for this year's title.

The Rams take on North Rowan next week.

Update on the Rams - They beat Moutain Heritage last night 45-16. Mt. Heritage was 11-1 coming into the game and had what many considered to be the most formidable running game the Rams had faced all year. Big OL that has basically forced it's will on teams all year with a 3 yards and a cloud of dust kind of offense. Well, the Ram defense stepped up and shut them down before their high powered offense made sure the game was never really close.

http://www.greensboro.com/rockingha...cle_23b8ddc0-b3a8-11e6-960a-5bb64f83122f.html

I read this week that several Mt. Heritage fans were talking a LOT of smack. I don't know what they were thinking underestimating a team that has more NC state football championships than any other program in the state and who are looking like they are the team to beat for this year's title.

The Rams take on North Rowan next week.
Lincolnton will be a test I believe if both teams should win this week.... Sounds like the coaches aren't putting the effort in to help out the kids which to me doesn't make any sense

Reidsville won tonight 30-13. Lincolnton won 72-44, so the showdown is set. Can't believe Lincolnton racked up 72 points that deep into the playoffs, so it should be a good game. Reidsville's defense has been pretty dang stout, but they haven't played against a really good offensive team yet.

Should be a good one!

Reidsville has home field advantage due to Lincolnton loss in last game of season in which I heard some players were very complacent during the week.... Wonder how much of a factor that will be Friday

Would he walk on? Fedora certainly gives walk ons a short to earn PT and a scholarship.

Woad - Short answer is I believe he would IF he truly wanted to play. Kid is a play maker. Not Logan speed, but not far from it. I would compare him more to Switz than anyone on the current team.

When talking to his dad, I got the impression he is still trying to decide if he wants to play beyond HS. He knows the NFL isn't in his future, mainly because he knows the risks to his health and he doesn't want to live like some of those guys do after football is over. He wants to go to work and make a life for himself the traditional way. Good, hard working young man with a bright future ahead of him no matter what he chooses.

Like I said, he has some smaller school interested in him for football, but he is thinking about life 20-30 years down the road and weighing the risk vs. reward. He knows what it takes to succeed on the football field. The time, effort and dedication. (Those who played for really good HS teams know how much time is put into it) He also knows college football is a lot more of that plus going to class and he knows either could suffer if he can't balance time between the two properly. He certainly could, but to be truly great at something means you devote the majority of your time to it and if he wants to get his MBA for the long term, he knows he needs to focus on that. Can't blame him one bit.

Was at the game tonight. Reidsville won 28-7, but put the game out of reach with 2 scores with less than 3 minutes to go. Folks, this Rams defense is NASTY. They flat out shut down Lincolnton tonight. Truthfully, penalties kept most Lincolnton drives going. Their one score came in the 3rd quarter and the Rams were reeling from a bad start after halftime, their best RB out after getting poked in the eye and a couple of penalties. Aside from that, the defense kept Linconton out of the red zone the entire game. At the end, with the Wolves staring at a 4th and 9 on about the 30 with little over 3 minutes to go, the Rams defense got a sack and took over. From there a screen pass to Austyn Chestnut that should have been stopped with little gain turned into a broken tackle reception down to the Wolves' 30. A couple of just-before-the-play-clock-ran-out snaps later, Bryson Durham ran it in from about the 25 for a score with 58 seconds left to put the Rams up 21-7. After the kickoff, Lincolnton hit their best WR on a screen pass on 3rd and long, but the Ram defense stripped the ball and Durham picked it up and ran it in for the nail in the coffin. Rams won 28-7 and will play for their 19th state title next Saturday.

From what I saw tonight, there is definitely D1 talent on this team. Some guys are smaller than what most colleges look for in some positions, but these kids flat out play. #14 (Stud WR) for Lincolnton looked to be well over 6 feet tall and was THE player everyone talked about. Aside from a couple of catches, Chestnut held him in check the whole night, including breaking up a bomb in the 1st quarter that looked like it would be a huge reception. Austyn might be 5-8 to 5-10 tops. Kids has Switzer like moves and speed and plays with that heart you want in a kid. Same for a lot of kids on this team. Hits on defense by guys that looked to be several inches and dozens of pounds smaller than Lincolnton players would have made Ronnie Lott proud. One in particular forced the WR to drop what would have been about a 20 yard gain. He got popped by Isaiah Hayes, who is about 5-8 and might weigh 185 pounds. I dare say that WR will be feeling that hit tomorrow.

Now, there were a few gimmes. Lincolnton could have tied it had #14 not dropped a wide open pass when the Rams DB slipped and was a good 3-5 yards behind playing catch up. But, the defense kept the QB running the whole night and he had no one to throw to most of the time. They did have a little dude running the ball that was a freakin' stud, though. Defense shut him down on the inside runs, but he broke a LOT of tackles and got some good yards going outside. Still he might have gotten somewhere around 80 yards total for the night.

As a Reidsville grad who knows a lot of those kids, I am very proud of the way they played and hope they can bring home # 19 next weekend.

Forgot to mention that #14 for Lincolnton is playing for moo next year. Supposed to be a stud, but I didn't see it tonight.

They essentially kept 8 guys in coverage and completely threw the Wolves off their game.

Forgot to mention that #14 for Lincolnton is playing for moo next year. Supposed to be a stud, but I didn't see it tonight.

They essentially kept 8 guys in coverage and completely threw the Wolves off their game.
unless he changed numbers last night #14 for Lincolnton is going to Harvard(Sage Surratt)

Don't know for sure. I heard someone in the stands mentioning him playing for moo. I can't say where he is going, just what I heard someone say. Harvard would be a much better choice anyway!

Yes, they play Edenton (John A.) Holmes next Saturday. My church is the starting point for a local Christmas parade that was yesterday and some of the kids in the Reidsville band were hanging out at a table we set up to pass out coffee and hot chocolate. One of them looked it up on his phone and they started talking about "John Holmes HS" and a fellow church member and I kept snickering and hoping they didn't google the school using that!

Holmes has surprised a lot of folk. They are playing their best ball now and run a triple option offense that has given teams fits. Not surprising given how most HS defenses are set up.

As for Reidsville, their HC and DC came up with a scheme against Lincolnton that worked to perfection and kept them baffled all night. Rushing 3 and dropping 8 into coverage really played with them since no one had been able to do that and get pressure on their QB. I have no doubt they will be ready for Holmes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT