ADVERTISEMENT

Reidsville high school

Y'all do know that his brother is the future QB at UNC right....He is a better basketball player.....

Nope. Didn't know that. I will say that the kid looked impressive, but the Rams defense is just plain nasty. Here's a good write up on just how good the defense is:

http://www.lincolntimesnews.com/2016/12/10/wolves-suffer-season-ending-loss-reidsville/

Keep in mind that Reidsville only rushed 3 all night long and kept a guy with back to back 200 yard rushing games to 72 yards and Surratt to 71 yards in receptions. First time all year Lincolnton was held to under 100 passing, too.

Been thinking about this thread and going back to the OP's first question. Again, I wonder, too, what it takes for some of these kids to get recruited by D1 schools. As mentioned, Chazz Surratt played for East Lincoln. Not much difference in size and such from Reidsville and not a school you typically think of producing D1 talent and yet he got a scholarship at UNC.

Then there is Reidsville, which is playing for their 19th NCHSAA football title this weekend. 18 times they have been crowned champions, more than any other school in the state, and yet they have very few D1 players throughout their history. And the ones who do usually go out of state with few exceptions (Na Brown).

Sad that we have that kind of talent right in our back yard and no one is going after it.

Side note - I did hear Sunday that Reidsville's QB is being looked at by Appalachain State.

Well, as soon as I posted that I knew I might have to back track. Looks like Tanner WIlson is going to App St. and the big man, Quiron Johnson, who wreaked havoc on OLinemen this year is headed to Chapel Hill. Both as preferred walk-ons:

Congratulations to both young men

Last edited:
Reactions: TarHeelNation11
The fact of the matter is that 99% of true D1 kids will get noticed and will have an opportunity, if their grades are in order and they have kept their nose clean. The people who say that they didn't go D1 because their HC didn't do enough for them are full of crap. Now, if the HC blackballed them and intentionally told potential recruiters that the kid was a bad egg, then that is a completely different conversation.

Every single high school in the nation with a football team is being recruited by some level of college coach. College coaching is a very tight circle and people talk. For example, if you have a D3 coach recruiting a school and he sees a kid that he thinks is a scholarship type of a player, he will generally know someone at the D2 level who can offer that scholarship and give the other coach a heads up. Conversely, D2 coaches identify kids and pass them along to 1-AA coaches and so forth. One of the main reasons that information is passed along so frequently is because coaches are always looking to move up. D3 coaches want to become D2 and D2 wants to be 1-AA, etc. Now, I am not saying that good players always end up at the exact division that their talents are capable of, but for the most part, each kid is appropriately recruited. In this day and age, if a kid has the talent and desire to play college football, they will be afforded that opportunity.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Not saying I completely disagree, matt 1976, but I DO think schools can do more to help with recruiting. What I was referencing before was a lack of assistance to players and families in recruiting. Mainly in HOW to navigate the waters. At Reidsville it doesn't appear that an effort has been made to help families understand what it takes to get recognized and therefore work toward a scholarship. I used the RCHS event from this year as an example. The school has had ONE winning season of note in it's history. Now it is looking at it's 4th head coach in 4 years. They had a recruiting forum for players and parents to help them understand how to go through the process to get recruited, what to expect, etc. To my knowledge, nothing like that has happened at Reidsville despite them having an abundance of talent that could play somewhere.

Anyway, it is neither here nor there.

Oh, BTW - Reidsville won 58-12 to take their 19th state title.

Last edited:
Austyn Chesnut given preferred walk on status from UNC! I cannot tell you how happy I am for this young man. Great character, great family and I believe we WILL see him playing. Reminds me a lot of Switzer.

Would he walk on? Fedora certainly gives walk ons a short to earn PT and a scholarship.
Woad - This is the kid I was talking about and yes, Fed did offer a preferred walk on to him. I can't wait to see how he does. Don't be surprised if he earns a spot before all is said and done.

With all the social media available now and huske it is much easier for kids to so their own promoting to colleges. If a kid is a d1 player coachs will find them. Most of the kids that are players and dont get d1 offers are uzally due to academics or measurables

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT