ADVERTISEMENT

Roy on Seventh

Those who doubt 7th often seem to point to things like "seeing the court." While that can doubtless be learned to some extent, it may be more of a skill you are either born with nor not.

To an extent it is and to another extent it ain't. What kendal did was special but it did help that he had the length to see and ply over smaller guys, TY had a special degree of quickness and speed, Ray did as well. But the point is there are "specially gifted" kids and the gifts that Ty had are maybe not the gifts that 7th has so maybe 7th can not be as special as Ty was at the position. Thing is the kid does not have to be TY or Ray or Joel,t needs to handle the position to the best of his ability and we will be fine.

Jus' curious here, how is it you are 'born' with that particular skill . . ?

What about chess players . . ? Are they 'born' with a skill to anticipate or plan their future moves 7, 8, 9 or 10 times in advance . . ? Or maybe, it's a skill that is developed playing the game many times over and again at each graduated level . .

We all know that the HS game is not the same as the college game, and it certainly is more advanced at the Pro level . . there are adjustments between them all.

Give Seventh some time . . that may be all he needs.

The same way you get to Carnegie Hall.

8r34.gif

Just going to leave this here. These are highlights from Sev's freshman year. Now I don't know how much explosiveness he's lost due to injuries, but this clip shows that he possesses the court vision and athletic ability to play PG at UNC.

Most of that was fluff (last minute moves or against secondary competition) but the Duke game was good stuff.

P.S. I miss Justin Jackson.

Just going to leave this here. These are highlights from Sev's freshman year. Now I don't know how much explosiveness he's lost due to injuries, but this clip shows that he possesses the court vision and athletic ability to play PG at UNC.

Thanks for the vid Arch, and its amazing to see what players can do when they get PT. Hoping like all get out that Woods can bow up this year.

Reactions: Archer2 and MWHeels

Woods is gonna be a problem.from what I hear the explosiveness is back, and indecisiveness gone. Gonna be a fun yr

Reactions: HermanT
Do tell. If Sev can have some early success and regain his confidence, I believe we’ll see a different player this year. The key is staying injury free.
I can only relay second hand info from a customer of my side venture. He lives in Atlantic Beach, and is apparently a great, great grandson of the person who worte unc's fight song. He is also a very generous donor. He is at a lot if bball stuff and has inside info. He told me sev looks good. Said he looks like his highschool self, and that he doesn't look indecisive anymore. Lastly he said seventh has a gear most people except ty, and Felton possess. That's what he told me. He was pretty high on sev, but said if seventh couldn't get it done Coby was coming on quicker than expected. Again this is second hand so it could be him just yanking my leg. He is a bit of a jokster. But the stuff he told me about Felton he was most def not joking. So I will believe he isn't jking until further notice.

Last edited:
Woods is gonna be a problem.from what I hear the explosiveness is back, and indecisiveness gone. Gonna be a fun yr

This is probably the easiest way for me to envision Seventh being successful. As has been stated, we haven't seen the QB of the offense and spacing be a strength yet, the pure UNC PG instinct stuff, and obviously he hasn't had much of a healthy opportunity to develop this in game action. I could see an aggressive Seventh being a different way to make good things happen, although that would likely make us a little less consistent on both sides of the ball (which might be the case if White takes over as well to be fair).

Reactions: MWHeels
This is probably the easiest way for me to envision Seventh being successful. As has been stated, we haven't seen the QB of the offense and spacing be a strength yet, the pure UNC PG instinct stuff, and obviously he hasn't had much of a healthy opportunity to develop this in game action. I could see an aggressive Seventh being a different way to make good things happen, although that would likely make us a little less consistent on both sides of the ball (which might be the case if White takes over as well to be fair).

Yeah, I don't really see us having the rock solid prototypical UNC PG this upcoming season as we've had in years past with guys like Cota, Butter, JB.

That said, I LOVE what we have around the position so if 7th can help us more than hurt us, we're a final four team IMO.

Reactions: mikeirbyusa
That's bold.

Possible? Sure, but a lot of unanswered questions about too many players that will have to be answered the right way.

You think?

My only real question is our PG situation. I think we are absolutely loaded on the wings and if Sterling or Brooks don't develop like we'd like then I think Luke and Nas can handle things down low against about 80% of the teams we'll face. I also really like our potential 2nd unit and think we'll have better players than almost every other 2nd unit.

I'm very bullish on this season coming up.

Reactions: tarwhiz and MWHeels
You think?

My only real question is our PG situation. I think we are absolutely loaded on the wings and if Sterling or Brooks don't develop like we'd like then I think Luke and Nas can handle things down low against about 80% of the teams we'll face. I also really like our potential 2nd unit and think we'll have better players than almost every other 2nd unit.

As I have shared, I am much more concerned with how our front court comes together and specifically I am referring to Manley, Brooks, and Huff. I love what Luke has been able to get done and I do think Naz has the making of a real star as a frosh. But there just is no replacement for inside the paint length and girth, at least in the way Roy wants us to play.

I am not worried at all that BOTH 7th and Coby can hit the pass ahead to a posted up big man that properly presents himself in to a passing zone. Not at all looking to start friction but The way Roy runs his practices, it is teaching by the same repetitions in each and every practice. Yes absolutely, there are kids that were born with certain advantages that allow them to excel as PGs. Be it quick twitch muscles, be it extraordinary hand eyes coordination that allows them to master the ball handles, be it springs in his legs that allow him to soar and finish above the rim, everyone does not have such given from birth advantages. But every center is not Ralph Sampson length either.

I have seen that extra gear from 7th, that thing that very few have, you can see it in the high lite clips of the kid in this thread. Roy scripts his practices to for the most part be the same every practice, very effective teaching tool by learning by repetition. But the thing is, there is only so far a kid can go in practice, the real learning op is in real games in front of thousands of rabid fans, because in games the inexperienced kid that does not get big playing time, he tends to think first and then act. Either that or he tries to do to much, ends up trying to force something that just isn't there. When they get solid PT, they realize, I can make a mistake and the hook isn't going to come as long as I play hard, smart, and together with my mates. They tend to slow down a little bit and not feel as if they have to force every single situation. The practice reps will kick in and become second nature and all the sudden the player gets wrapped up in the game, he begins to play rather than think, if you think before you act, it is going to be to late.

Point is of course it is easier for those born with special gifts like Lawson's speed or Kendal's length and passing ability.

Reactions: Cookieman50
Agreed, agreed, agreed (except I'll go further and say Manley and Brooks will be fine) and agreed.
I would like to be, but alas I fear that first question makes this bull just a calf for me right about now...

What about chess players . . ? Are they 'born' with a skill to anticipate or plan their future moves 7, 8, 9 or 10 times in advance . . ? Or maybe, it's a skill that is developed playing the game many times over and again at each graduated level . .

We all know that the HS game is not the same as the college game, and it certainly is more advanced at the Pro level . . there are adjustments between them all.

People always told me that my natural ability and good eyesight were the reasons for my success as a hitter. They never talk about the practice, practice, practice.

Ted Williams

A good parallel, but it favors the opposite argument. Elite chess players aren't born knowing how to play chess, but the mental talents required to play chess at an elite level are innate and unteachable. An average person could practice for tens of thousands of hours and lose to a relatively inexperienced prodigy.

Reactions: gary-7
A good parallel, but it favors the opposite argument. Elite chess players aren't born knowing how to play chess, but the mental talents required to play chess at an elite level are innate and unteachable. An average person could practice for tens of thousands of hours and lose to a relatively inexperienced prodigy.

Okay by me . . it was only a spur of the moment thought.

2RQK2RwK-01&moves=7&player=White.png

Most of that was fluff (last minute moves or against secondary competition) but the Duke game was good stuff.

P.S. I miss Justin Jackson.
Regardless of the competition, the athleticism, court vision, and passing ability are there. As Roy said, can he stay in front of his man defensively and not turn the ball over on offense? I’m sure he can defend, but he must prove the latter.

As I have shared, I am much more concerned with how our front court comes together and specifically I am referring to Manley, Brooks, and Huff. I love what Luke has been able to get done and I do think Naz has the making of a real star as a frosh. But there just is no replacement for inside the paint length and girth, at least in the way Roy wants us to play.

I am not worried at all that BOTH 7th and Coby can hit the pass ahead to a posted up big man that properly presents himself in to a passing zone. Not at all looking to start friction but The way Roy runs his practices, it is teaching by the same repetitions in each and every practice. Yes absolutely, there are kids that were born with certain advantages that allow them to excel as PGs. Be it quick twitch muscles, be it extraordinary hand eyes coordination that allows them to master the ball handles, be it springs in his legs that allow him to soar and finish above the rim, everyone does not have such given from birth advantages. But every center is not Ralph Sampson length either.

I have seen that extra gear from 7th, that thing that very few have, you can see it in the high lite clips of the kid in this thread. Roy scripts his practices to for the most part be the same every practice, very effective teaching tool by learning by repetition. But the thing is, there is only so far a kid can go in practice, the real learning op is in real games in front of thousands of rabid fans, because in games the inexperienced kid that does not get big playing time, he tends to think first and then act. Either that or he tries to do to much, ends up trying to force something that just isn't there. When they get solid PT, they realize, I can make a mistake and the hook isn't going to come as long as I play hard, smart, and together with my mates. They tend to slow down a little bit and not feel as if they have to force every single situation. The practice reps will kick in and become second nature and all the sudden the player gets wrapped up in the game, he begins to play rather than think, if you think before you act, it is going to be to late.

Point is of course it is easier for those born with special gifts like Lawson's speed or Kendal's length and passing ability.
FWIW, Antawn Jamison agrees with you that the key for this team is the development of our bigs. According to him, they must provide a presence offensively and defensively in order for us to return to the FF.

As Roy said, can he stay in front of his man defensively and not turn the ball over on offense? I’m sure he can defend, but he must prove the latter.

Agree there. I've said it a few times and it's sorta my thought going into the season right now...if Seventh doesn't hurt us on offense, I think we'll be great. He doesn't need to be great, just let the other guys around him be great.

Agree there. I've said it a few times and it's sorta my thought going into the season right now...if Seventh doesn't hurt us on offense, I think we'll be great. He doesn't need to be great, just help the other guys around him be great.
Couldn’t agree more, if you change that one word. His mantra should be “defend like a mofo, limit TO’s, and consistently make the high percentage play”.

Reactions: shun1

Really Arch. Come on. His best highlight was a block against a wisconsin kid immediately after he turned it over. Most others were highlights in 40 point games in garbage time. I want him to do well because that makes us great but those highlights aren’t that impressive, at all honestly.

I mean how many freshmen pg got a lot of burn for coach though? I can count them on one hand. Playing PG here is just a different animal

Agree there. I've said it a few times and it's sorta my thought going into the season right now...if Seventh doesn't hurt us on offense, I think we'll be great. He doesn't need to be great, just let the other guys around him be great.

I partly agree with this, but I think it depends on how you define "doesn't hurt us". If he cuts down on turnovers but otherwise doesn't improve, he'll still be a substantial net-negative on offense. We need him to either develop a 3pt shot or finally realize his potential as a slasher. He has to threaten to do something to make the defense respect him.

Really Arch. Come on. His best highlight was a block against a wisconsin kid immediately after he turned it over. Most others were highlights in 40 point games in garbage time. I want him to do well because that makes us great but those highlights aren’t that impressive, at all honestly.
Regardless of the comp, I saw athleticism, court vision, and passing ability. You didn’t?

Yeah Billy, you and I have had our go-rounds, but I'd like to think folks can disagree with out descending into the realm of ad hominem. So thanks in kind for your own contributions to the board and peace be with you as well, brother.

And yeah, I'm totally letting go. I mean, look at the post right above yours --- even as we speak I'm passing on a hanging curveball to tear somebody a new one, all for the sake of comity ;):cool:.

Regardless of the comp, I saw athleticism, court vision, and passing ability. You didn’t?

I did but that’s to be expected against that group. He’s talented or he wouldn’t be here, but at the level we need him to be? Still waiting.

I did but that’s to be expected against that group. He’s talented or he wouldn’t be here, but at the level we need him to be? Still waiting.
Yeah. The most important aspect of what a successful PG does in our system happens between the foul lines (and often between the ears), and is not the type of stuff to normally show up on highlight reels. Without that, none of the other stuff --- whether a nice move or a fancy pass or a strong finish here and there --- means a whole helluva lot in the scheme of things.

Well the spin moves were against North Carolina State and Tennessee. And the block was against Wisconsin. Those teams certainly aren’t chopped liver. Not everybody has good court vision and passing ability. And there certainly aren’t many people with his level of athleticism.

Will that translate into Sev being a reliable point guard? We shall see. I believe it will.

In the end Seventh will be needed as a starter or Not, all of Roy's Best teams Had depth... Marvin on a stick Back or Luke on a shot against Kentucky, or just guys giving minutes so the stars can shine... last years Depth was to raw as we saw those same guys will give what I call more meaningful minutes now.. Some of those Minutes last year were nice and some were guys like Manley getting eaten alive in about 3 minutes by the Miami center.. This team has better scoring options than last year and more depth so we will see...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT