ADVERTISEMENT

%'s

UNC Blue Hup

Junior
Oct 4, 2015
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I'd just like to see thoughts on percentages Kennedy and JJ return to sweep the ACC again and go after another Title...I'd say chances of each coming back are:
Meeks 80% to return
Jackson 65% to return
Numbers please ?

I'd just like to see thoughts on percentages Kennedy and JJ return to sweep the ACC again and go after another Title...I'd say chances of each coming back are:
Meeks 80% to return
Jackson 65% to return
Numbers please ?
Not far off. A tad optimistic on Buckets maybe, but not too far off I'd say.
Kennedy told a friend 90% before he put his name in, so anywhere btw 80-90 might be a good guess.
Justin is probably closer to a push, maybe slightly more likely to go, which he will if he gets a good enough evaluation.

Last edited:
Word is Kennedy is going overseas if the combine doesn't go well. I'd say he's about 60-40 right now to return.

I'm curious as to why all of you think JJ is leaning toward gone?

He's not in a 1st round mock of anything I've seen. NBADraft.net, DraftExpress, WalterFootball don't even have him being drafted. So even if he has a great combine (which I think he will), it still won't move him all the way up into the top 30.

He's not the kinda kid that would leave after his Soph year to be a 2nd round pick.

Reactions: keysersosay#1

He's not in a 1st round mock of anything I've seen. NBADraft.net, DraftExpress, WalterFootball don't even have him being drafted. So even if he has a great combine (which I think he will), it still won't move him all the way up into the top 30.

He's not the kinda kid that would leave after his Soph year to be a 2nd round pick.

I don't have any inside info or anything, but I'd say Justin is a 50-50 percentage just on gut feeling. I was originally leaning towards him staying... but the birdies seem to be chirping that premium info would suggest otherwise. I wouldn't read too much into those draft sites not having him in the first round for 2016 - I think that most of them assume he'll be coming back. He's listed in the first round on those sites 2017 drafts - and if he hires an agent, I'm sure would get switched to the 2016 draft, still late first round.

As for Kennedy, again no inside info, but I'd guess 90% coming back. The other 10% is that he goes overseas, or maybe gets signed to an NBADL contract or something. I can say for sure there's 0% chance of him getting drafted to the NBA this year, but there are other options for him other than returning to UNC which is why I only put that at 90%.

Word is Kennedy is going overseas if the combine doesn't go well. I'd say he's about 60-40 right now to return.
Is he unhappy at UNC or something?

Like most of us here (I assume) his late season fades the last 2 years have me baffled. Both after injury or illness, so maybe that's all there is to it. But the impression it leaves is that he lacks the motor needed to excel.

This is why I expect him to return - to have an injury-free season where he can prove he has a good enough motor for the next level.

If he feels he has something to prove, he should welcome his senior year - in which he will almost certainly be much more of a focus in our offense. Since Roy listens to all of us here ;-) he will see a lot of action in the high post and will be able to show off his passing.

I suppose it's possible that he doesn't feel ready or able to carry that load. But would playing overseas be better? He'll earn some money, sure, but will it help his game?

I hope he comes back with a chip on his shoulder.

Is he unhappy at UNC or something?

Like most of us here (I assume) his late season fades the last 2 years have me baffled. Both after injury or illness, so maybe that's all there is to it. But the impression it leaves is that he lacks the motor needed to excel.

This is why I expect him to return - to have an injury-free season where he can prove he has a good enough motor for the next level.

If he feels he has something to prove, he should welcome his senior year - in which he will almost certainly be much more of a focus in our offense. Since Roy listens to all of us here ;-) he will see a lot of action in the high post and will be able to show off his passing.

I suppose it's possible that he doesn't feel ready or able to carry that load. But would playing overseas be better? He'll earn some money, sure, but will it help his game?

I hope he comes back with a chip on his shoulder.
No guarantee that Meeks is injury free next season or gets drafted in the second round in 2017 though. I can understand why he might want to get paid next year since if he never plays in the NBA that "some money" in Europe will actually be a lot of money.

Because he is a long wing that has an excellent floater, plays really well in the wide open running game, and does have a solid jump shot out to the NBA trey. I think he will do pretty well in the NBA metrics. I think the potiental tag can be put on him when he adds weight room strength and bulks up some. I would not be surprised at all to see him get a late 1st round spot on a good team.

The relative strength (or maybe better said the lack there of comparred to what the draft after projects as) may be the real deciding factor but how mush that would effect a late first round guy is not nearly as tuff as a lotto type guy but it would seem to make it harder for a later first rounder this draft to be able to move up in to lotto area in the following draft.

I would put him around 65% gone, just not sure if his head is really NBA right now as much as it should be for him to leave else I would have moved my % gone much higher.

Meeks to Europe IMO may be a lot stronger consideration, I am not sure the upside is there to see, and if waiting a year to be draftable and even that not being absolutely clear will happen, then Europe now may become a larger issue. I honestly think near 0 but I will go with 5% to the NBA, 55% Europe, and 40% chance back. For some reason, the whispers just will not go away about this kid wanting to play pro ball now, that this was always going to be his last season in the college game. IDK if it is advice he or his family is getting from someone looking to profit off of him in the future or what but someone is talking to him or his family and telling him he should get paid now rather than wait even longer.

Because he is a long wing that has an excellent floater, plays really well in the wide open running game, and does have a solid jump shot out to the NBA trey. I think he will do pretty well in the NBA metrics. I think the potiental tag can be put on him when he adds weight room strength and bulks up some. I would not be surprised at all to see him get a late 1st round spot on a good team.

The relative strength (or maybe better said the lack there of comparred to what the draft after projects as) may be the real deciding factor but how mush that would effect a late first round guy is not nearly as tuff as a lotto type guy but it would seem to make it harder for a later first rounder this draft to be able to move up in to lotto area in the following draft.

I would put him around 65% gone, just not sure if his head is really NBA right now as much as it should be for him to leave else I would have moved my % gone much higher.

So you think he's gone because of your own NBA scouting report? I prefer to go on what actual NBA scouts say and what they're saying is that no one has this kid being drafted near the 1st round. Most have him undrafted, a few have him very late 2nd round. Can a great combine move him up 30 spots? I don't think so, and that's why I think he's about 85% to come back.

So you think he's gone because of your own NBA scouting report? I prefer to go on what actual NBA scouts say and what they're saying is that no one has this kid being drafted near the 1st round. Most have him undrafted, a few have him very late 2nd round. Can a great combine move him up 30 spots? I don't think so, and that's why I think he's about 85% to come back.

Well good for you and I hope the kid does come back. Kindly excuse me for expressing my opinion based on what I have seen from the kid, I didn't realize I needed to have my opinion of Justin vetted thru you before I could express it.

Just this morning I read thru a re-picking of the 2000 NBA draft and it was so off from the original draft it was amazing. Those original picks were based off of NBA scouts, Darius Miles was top 3? So please excuse me if I prefer my own opinion based on watching Justin play every possible opportunity I could (all but 3 games this season actually) as opposed to a scout than may have watched at most a handful of his games. I trust my own eyes more than I do anyone else's... But if it makes you feel any better read what I stated as "should" rather than "will".

Reactions: tarheel0910
While NBA scouts are generally terrible evaluators of talent... it's their opinions that should be what we use to base where a kid will go. Even if there's a kid out there that is going to be the next MJ, and we all know that, if none of the scouts think he'll be the next MJ - he won't get drafted.

Premi-board. Someone with some intel that seems fairly legit. Gary, you've been on the money with Kennedy stuff all along so don't shoot the messenger :)
Hey, you're a good poster here so I've put that question out to my source. Should hear back soon.

Premi-board. Someone with some intel that seems fairly legit. Gary, you've been on the money with Kennedy stuff all along so don't shoot the messenger :)
Getting ready to walk in to Sevendust show in ATL.. so I'll have an update post later tonite or tomorrow, but,
as to recent posts ITT re %s on Kennedy and Buckets...
:cool::D

Gary, PLEASE tell me your source isn't an egg avatar twitter guy........ ;)
OK... it's late... but anyway...
First, since our friend @dadika13 heard something disturbing and a bit off the wall about Meeks, I felt compelled to throw out an inquiry before I responded. I heard back this evening, so here ya go:
Contrary to any rumors out there, Kennedy is not going to go play in Europe --- at least not this year. In fact, in lieu of making a prediction, I'll just say that his likelihood of returning may have even crept up above the original figure (90%) I reported.

Second, since our friend @mikeirbyusa reported hearing some positive news about Justin returning, I checked that out as well. With the caveat that Buckets is more reticent about his plans, etc --- the belief among players has indeed changed from him being fairly likely to go, to now leaning to returning as well (to be safe, and in keeping with the spirit of this thread, I'll just bump him up to 75% ;)).

In other words things just keep getting more encouraging... :D

Meanwhile, I'll leave ya'll with a side-stage shot of Sevendust at Center Stage tonight. Local boyz rocked the damned house!
Sleep well, Tar Heel Nation.... :cool:
20160429_222525.jpg

First, since our friend @dadika13 heard something disturbing and a bit off the wall about Meeks, I felt compelled to throw out an inquiry before I responded. I heard back this evening, so here ya go:
Contrary to any rumors out there, Kennedy is not going to go play in Europe --- at least not this year. In fact, in lieu of making a prediction, I'll just say that his likelihood of returning may have even crept up above the original figure (90%) I reported.

Second, since our friend @mikeirbyusa reported hearing some positive news about Justin returning, I checked that out as well. With the caveat that Buckets is more reticent about his plans, etc --- the belief among players has indeed changed from him being fairly likely to go, to now leaning to returning as well (to be safe, and in keeping with the spirit of this thread, I'll just bump him up to 75% ;)).

Meanwhile, I'll leave ya'll with a side-stage shot of Sevendust at Center Stage tonight. Local boyz rocked the damned house!
20160429_222525.jpg

Very good news gary!!!

20160429_222525.jpg

Great stuff, thanks Gary! Hope you enjoyed the show.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT