ADVERTISEMENT

Should Trimble look to shoot some

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
I hope it is not a mental thing after having all three shots taken in close during the first half of the Virginia game blocked but to this observer he seems to be a little hesitant to shoot from the outside when he is in the game…

He seems to be a spark 🔥 off the bench especially defensively when he comes in to replace one of the starting guards but when he and Black are in the squad suffers offensively because of the lack of scorers…

Yes I know his main job is to be a facilitator but to keep the opponents honest he must at least launch a few jumpers or go strong to the hole every now and then.

Dunn got so many minutes Saturday because he played solid defense on Ellis and he looked to score when the opportunity arose especially when Davis was in foul trouble…

Trimble is quick and has some hops so I am hoping as the season progresses he will help the Heels by shooting the rock 🪨 a little more…

Has anyone else noticed that Trimble seems to be a little hesitant at this time in taking jumpers?

If he's hesitant to take jumpers, he better not be taking them under game pressure. Roy used to say if you're going to take a shot, have the balls to make it. We also don't need it. We need Caleb to just make his open 3's and we'll be better. Trimble has also been a very poor free-throw shooter. So I don't think he translates well as a 3-point shooter.

One thing I know. He isn't scared to drive the ball and put the defense under pressure. I like that. Keep doing it!

Reactions: gauchoheel
I hope it is not a mental thing after having all three shots taken in close during the first half of the Virginia game blocked but to this observer he seems to be a little hesitant to shoot from the outside when he is in the game…

He seems to be a spark 🔥 off the bench especially defensively when he comes in to replace one of the starting guards but when he and Black are in the squad suffers offensively because of the lack of scorers…

Yes I know his main job is to be a facilitator but to keep the opponents honest he must at least launch a few jumpers or go strong to the hole every now and then.

Dunn got so many minutes Saturday because he played solid defense on Ellis and he looked to score when the opportunity arose especially when Davis was in foul trouble…

Trimble is quick and has some hops so I am hoping as the season progresses he will help the Heels by shooting the rock 🪨 a little more…

Has anyone else noticed that Trimble seems to be a little hesitant at this time in taking jumpers?
Should Seth shoot more, easy answer, YES, absolutely yes! But not in games, not until he gets confident in the shot, in practice, before and after practice is the time in season to do this. Kid can actually shoot much better than he has shown but as you can easy see, he has lost a lot of confidence in his shot so no, I don't want to see a kid not confident in his shot take them in a game.

Watched leaky spending his first 2yrs with us scared to take a shot, Desmond Hubert nearly panicked to get the ball out of his hands when ever it rotated to him, do you recall Dunn last season? Seth has some mechanical things on his jumper that need to be addressed, many coaches shy away from tweeking a kid mechanics during season because they fear it will sap more of the kid's confidence. But putting up extra shots when ever he can get on the court outside of a game is important for him, easier with home games than it is for away games.

I think another aspect that is effecting Seth is that he seems to be working hard to fit in more than go out and comfortably play his game, I saw that in nance a lot as well, as if they feel they need to take a back seat to who ever else is in the game, that has become a problem for them and will be until they realize they are fully fledged members of this team just as much as any other player, you defer if it is the right play at the moment not because you are the new kid on the block. Kid is a worker, he will put in the time for this to get it worked out, you may not see the fruits of that work until next season so just give the kid time.

Seth will be a more confident player next season, the speed of the game has not slowed down enough for him to absorb what's going on from an offensive perspective. Granted his defense is pretty darn good, still have to learn to keep his man in front of him. Unfortunately, all of our guards have issue with dribble penetration, with the exception of Dunn who does a better job.
Strange as it may appear, remember RJ and Love freshman year, it's pretty much of the same which we are seeing from Seth at this stage. Seth could be a fantastic player going into his sophomore campaign, with consistent work on his shot during the off season.

Reactions: Heels5150
would really like to see him develop mid range, think Dexter Strickland. saw this on another post I believe (kudos to someone) but good comparison when you look at skill sets.

That's just it though: He's really not in the game to mainly be a faciltator. Fact is, he hasn't played a minute of PG in the past few games, and that is as it should be. He does do a nice job of being a secondary facilitator, but that can't be the only calling card.

Seth is a natural wing, and as such, at some point he's simply gonna have to develop some confidence in his shot, lest he be destined to be a 6'3 Leaky. There's not much market for that, and even the real 6'8 Leaky has finally become more confident shooting the rock.

Even now, I've noticed teams sloughing off of Seth, waiting for him to drive into trouble (which he too often obliges). The kid is an athlete and is already showing some "plus" defender chops. His next obvious step is extending his offensive game, but chances are that is something that might not really come until next season.

As for Dunn, TBH he should've been the first perimter guy of the bench from the get-go. He has made the Soph leap and boasts a well-rounded game, plays under control and shoots the rock with confidence.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
would really like to see him develop mid range, think Dexter Strickland. saw this on another post I believe (kudos to someone) but good comparison when you look at skill sets.
I really hope he becomes a much more complete offensive player than Dexter Strickland. He played in almost a different era of basketball when you could be a 0 shooter, straight line driver, and still contribute some. Unless he has a lot of shooting around him, that'll be difficult to manufacture offense.

Trimble is in a tough spot where he's too small to easily contribute as a non-shooter, but he clearly doesn't have shooting skill right now. He'll need to get better at that to get more minutes, and certainly if he is going to start at some point.

Reactions: gary-7
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT