ADVERTISEMENT

The Grad Transfer Thread

I also agree that Leaky could start over BRob.

maybe, but I'd give the nod to Brob. More experience. That team already has good height and ball handling. Better from long range on a team that has no proven shooters.

Leaky would be a good play maker when Cole is out.

As far as transfers. The Cam Johnson types transferring are few and far between. I've seen guys mentioned from Lehigh, Bucknell, etc. There is a reason their recruiting process led to that level. The only kind of kid you want is somebody who can come off the bench as a rim protector, or some guys that just lights it up from the three point line. Very doubtful that you find anyone at the point, or forward, positions that could contribute at the elite level
Some players are late bloomers, or develop more than anticipated at the time of their high school recruiting. The grad transfer rule (without having to sit out a year) is a relatively new rule and the trend is becoming increasingly frequent. We are going to continue seeing more impact from grad transfers across the landscape. I wouldn't be quick to write it off.

8582011.png

We need some studs for next season.

8582011.png

We need some studs for next season.

How awful will we be if we don’t land Cole Anthony, another blue chip guard/big time grad transfer. That damn sophomore class is the gift that keeps on giving (not in a good way).

is there any actual interest between Justin Pierce and UNC or is it just speculation.

is there any actual interest between Justin Pierce and UNC or is it just speculation.

UNC has made contact with Pierce basically saying they are interested. Hopefully, this keeps Pierce from signing with somewhere else until the NCAA Tourney is over. Roy is not going to make a move until after the season is over. Going to be a battle for Pierce as he has at least 15 offers.

UNC has made contact with Pierce basically saying they are interested. Hopefully, this keeps Pierce from signing with somewhere else until the NCAA Tourney is over. Roy is not going to make a move until after the season is over. Going to be a battle for Pierce as he has at least 15 offers.

So....no current offer then...

I would hope that him being from NC & the Charlotte ( ? ) area, as well as being a former Tar Heel fan, will play a role in his decision, if it turns out that we a have a real need for his services. The decisions from Nas & Coby most likely will not come until at least late April or early May. Will he wait that long?
I think he might.

I would hope that him being from NC & the Charlotte ( ? ) area, as well as being a former Tar Heel fan, will play a role in his decision, if it turns out that we a have a real need for his services. The decisions from Nas & Coby most likely will not come until at least late April or early May. Will he wait that long?
I think he might.

You are probably correct. I know he is hoping to be invited to the NBA combine to see if there is interest.

Saw on twitter that Rayjon Tucker and Leaky Black are related. Anyone know if that's true?

Regardless, Cam Johnson's massive success should make us extremely attractive to grad transfers. We'll likely have our pick of the litter. Which is good because a wing is desperately needed.
Agreed. We should be very attractive to grad transfers after Cam’s experience. I think we sign one, hopefully Pierce.

Tucker cancelling his visit to UNLV around the time we called him is pretty intriguing.

Also, can someone explain this fixation on Pierce? Have we even contacted him or does he have any sort of ties? The last time we looked at a transfer from W&M, people were going on about how unimpressed they were with him for being in a weak conference, and Pierce's stats are only slightly better.

Not bad ...of course it's a highlight reel.

Cole at the 1 and Tucker at the 2. Tucker is still taking classes and apparently will finish up this summer. Still must get through admissions. Bring in Utoni or Pierce as the second grad transfer and the Heels are national title contenders.

Last edited:
I doubt we bring in more than one grad transfer but it’s possible. NVSU brought in two each of the last two years. They’re going after Tucker hard.

I doubt we bring in more than one grad transfer but it’s possible. NVSU brought in two each of the last two years. They’re going after Tucker hard.
Tucker has been contacted by 24 schools, but someone close to the family on TOS says UNC has the inside track because the kid really wants to come to UNC. Rumor has it that Roy has told the family not to make a decision until at least 3 weeks.Things should be clear by then what the UNC roster will look like for next year. Roy is looking for instant offfense. If Roy strikes out on Hurt and Precious, he may take 2 grad transfers. Both "must" have good scoring abilities. Akso, Tucker and Leaky are cousins! Roy also has Cam as an example of a grad transfer that came in that was highlighted and now will be a millionnaire soon in the NBA.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned 3 weeks or more before we know about Coby and Nas. I think Roy will know much sooner than that.

Someone mentioned 3 weeks or more before we know about Coby and Nas. I think Roy will know much sooner than that.
Think he already knows about Coby and Nas but it’s more about the offers out to the incoming freshman

IMO think Tucker would be able to contribute quite well shoots 40% from three, able to get to the rim and has good finishing ability around there. He looks to be pretty strong so can finish with contact. Not to mention looks like he can create his own shot off the dribble, I think that something that Coby has supplied that has truly helped our offense this year. Tucker also seems pretty strong with the ball so should be able to finish through contact.

I say let’s get him plus I like the fact he got some swagger to his game kinda Stackhouse-risqué

Reactions: Archer2
If we take just one grad transfer, Tucker is the choice. That dude is built like a grown man. Think about this for a second,...all of us were terribly disappointed when Green chose Zona over us. But this kid is far more ready to make an instant impact. Just like we lost out on Kevin Knox, Cam proved to be a better investment for us. Tucker could very well prove the same. Grad transfers are a far better OAD option unless you're in the running for top 5 high school guys. Because they've grown and matured both physically and mentally. They're just more prepared to play college ball than someone that has never played it.

Anyway, I like this Tucker kid and I think he'd be a perfect fit for us next year.

If we take just one grad transfer, Tucker is the choice. That dude is built like a grown man. Think about this for a second,...all of us were terribly disappointed when Green chose Zona over us. But this kid is far more ready to make an instant impact. Just like we lost out on Kevin Knox, Cam proved to be a better investment for us. Tucker could very well prove the same. Grad transfers are a far better OAD option unless you're in the running for top 5 high school guys. Because they've grown and matured both physically and mentally. They're just more prepared to play college ball than someone that has never played it.

Anyway, I like this Tucker kid and I think he'd be a perfect fit for us next year.

Yeah man - if it's a OAD vs a grad transfer, give me the transfer all day with the rare exception of a guy like Cole or (sorry) Zion.

Reactions: HermanT
Wow. Tucker does look like a beast. Prolific and efficient on offense.

20 points/game on

6 3pt attempts/game at 41%
7 2pt attempts/game at 55%
7 FT attempts at 78%
6.7 rebounds/game

Defenders will have to focus on a total game. And at 6'5 and athletic will be hard to take away shooting or driving. Definitely a scoring guard. Not great assist numbers. Not bad TO rate for his usage though.

Tucker looks very explosively athletic and his stroke looks pure. Without Coby, put this kid next to Cole Anthony and watch the offensive explosions happen.

Archer... absolutely agree. Spots 1-3 are all capable of taking quarters off of the top of the square too. It would be sick.

6'3", 6'5", 6'8", 6'9" and 6'10"

Altheticism on the outside and wide board crashing bigs on the inside... would be fun to watch.

Reactions: Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT