ADVERTISEMENT

The Grad Transfer Thread

There wouldn’t be a more athletic, versatile backcourt in the country. And with Leaky at point forward, Garrison at his natural PF position, and a great young big man at C, what’s not to like? Bring Seventh, BRob, Sterling, and Huff off the bench and we’re set. Anything we got from Jeremiah would be gravy, although TBH, I expect him to push Seventh for PT immediately.

Reactions: tarwhiz
There wouldn’t be a more athletic, versatile backcourt in the country. And with Leaky at point forward, Garrison at his natural PF position, and a great young big man at C, what’s not to like? Bring Seventh, BRob, Sterling, and Huff off the bench and we’re set. Anything we got from Jeremiah would be gravy, although TBH, I expect him to push Seventh for PT immediately.
Love this post! Agreed with every line.

So Roy reached out to Utomi.

247Sports basketball recruiting analyst Evan Daniels reported earlier this week that North Carolina has reached out to Akron graduate transfer Daniel Utomi. Utomi is a 6-foot-6, 215-pound forward, who averaged 14 points, and 6 rebounds in 34 minutes per game this season. He shot 40 percent from the floor, and 37 percent from three-point range. (Keeping It Heel)

A lineup of Cole, Rayjon, Leaky, Garrison, and Armando would be nasty.

+100 arch!

The thing is, "if" we get Cole Anthony, Anthony's mindset is more of a pass first PG that can score on anyone when he needs to. His first option is to look for the sweet dish or slip for the assist which IMO is different from what we had with Joel or Coby, who I considered more score first types of PG, what we like to call combos. My point is with a pass first PG you really need to have him both inside as well as outside spot up shooters for him to find. IN steps the Tucker kid to fill that void, if we are so fortunate.

Speaking of "if we could be so fortunate", none of us know what we will have with Frances next season nor do we really know if we will have him (or if he ends up red shirting). Coming off a 2yr lay off and micro fracture procedure who the heck knows at this point. BUT IF, we can get this kid healthy, when he gets his game legs back, Frances is much better than folks seem to think, he was being projected as a Micky D kid before the medical procedures stopped his progression.

Funny how fickle UNC fans can be at times, 7th Woods came in to several games this season and played really well, yes his play of late has dropped off hard, something is wrong physically with him again, I to have heard there may be a knee issue going on that he is trying to play thru but nothing official. But even after watching what the kid has done in multiple games this season all the sudden he is yet again a bust? Hard for me to understand after what we have seen but will acknowledge that he seems to stay hurt and when he is hurt he is a shadow of himself when he is healthy. But I do consider him to be a very important part of next years team if he can stay healthy.

Leaky Black, can not over state how impressed I have been with that kid, I am surprised that he has shown us as much aggressive offense, he was a bit shy to shoot and Roy seems to have brought out his ability to score and I love that! 6'8" and has shown us a nice jump shot, is he the kid that will be our next to step in to the middle of a zone and nail mid range jumpers? I know this, at that length and with those extra long arms even for his height, we may have a future ACC DPOY, he is a walking match up nightmare!

Don't forget, in addition to Brooks, we have 3 other guys that will be juniors that are all 6'10", with these more project type big men, it is usually their Jr seasons when we see them begin to break out as factor players, don't be so quick to write them off based on our past history of development of similar type of players.

I would caution, many seem to feel Bacot will come in and dominate and I agree, he will get the shot but it usually takes our big men a while to adjust to this level of play so for myself I am going to temper my expectations a bit more than most for his frosh season.

Think I saw an SI writer with an article titled "5 possible lineups" for the Tar Heels next season.
Si is kinda like dspn these days, so no clicks from me.

+100 arch!

The thing is, "if" we get Cole Anthony, Anthony's mindset is more of a pass first PG that can score on anyone when he needs to. His first option is to look for the sweet dish or slip for the assist which IMO is different from what we had with Joel or Coby, who I considered more score first types of PG, what we like to call combos. My point is with a pass first PG you really need to have him both inside as well as outside spot up shooters for him to find. IN steps the Tucker kid to fill that void, if we are so fortunate.

Speaking of "if we could be so fortunate", none of us know what we will have with Frances next season nor do we really know if we will have him (or if he ends up red shirting). Coming off a 2yr lay off and micro fracture procedure who the heck knows at this point. BUT IF, we can get this kid healthy, when he gets his game legs back, Frances is much better than folks seem to think, he was being projected as a Micky D kid before the medical procedures stopped his progression.

Funny how fickle UNC fans can be at times, 7th Woods came in to several games this season and played really well, yes his play of late has dropped off hard, something is wrong physically with him again, I to have heard there may be a knee issue going on that he is trying to play thru but nothing official. But even after watching what the kid has done in multiple games this season all the sudden he is yet again a bust? Hard for me to understand after what we have seen but will acknowledge that he seems to stay hurt and when he is hurt he is a shadow of himself when he is healthy. But I do consider him to be a very important part of next years team if he can stay healthy.

Leaky Black, can not over state how impressed I have been with that kid, I am surprised that he has shown us as much aggressive offense, he was a bit shy to shoot and Roy seems to have brought out his ability to score and I love that! 6'8" and has shown us a nice jump shot, is he the kid that will be our next to step in to the middle of a zone and nail mid range jumpers? I know this, at that length and with those extra long arms even for his height, we may have a future ACC DPOY, he is a walking match up nightmare!

Don't forget, in addition to Brooks, we have 3 other guys that will be juniors that are all 6'10", with these more project type big men, it is usually their Jr seasons when we see them begin to break out as factor players, don't be so quick to write them off based on our past history of development of similar type of players.

I would caution, many seem to feel Bacot will come in and dominate and I agree, he will get the shot but it usually takes our big men a while to adjust to this level of play so for myself I am going to temper my expectations a bit more than most for his frosh season.

Good stuff. Regarding 7th, for me personally, it is not personal. Seems like a very nice young man and I have no doubt his heart is in the right place. But for whatever reason(s), he simply has not been reliable, consistent, available or very effective - ever - for the Heels. We all hold our breath when he is in, and quite frankly those "several games this season and played really well" really wasn't exactly "special" or anything. He just didn't suck or hurt us, which simply can't be good enough when we are talking about the back-up PG for UNC.

Good stuff. Regarding 7th, for me personally, it is not personal. Seems like a very nice young man and I have no doubt his heart is in the right place. But for whatever reason(s), he simply has not been reliable, consistent, available or very effective - ever - for the Heels. We all hold our breath when he is in, and quite frankly those "several games this season and played really well" really wasn't exactly "special" or anything. He just didn't suck or hurt us, which simply can't be good enough when we are talking about the back-up PG for UNC.
Well said

The Washington game he seemed tentative and full of doubt in himself. The soft turnovers were one thing, tentative "full of doubt", but he also allowed a straight line drive on the wing where he looked like "the guy who you go after" "go at him he's scared" type kid you see in a AAU game.

Now in two of our tougher matchups he played well. Gonzaga and @ Dook he gave strong minutes. Hope he can step up when needed like in those high pressure/talent matchups.

So ol' Roy goes up to Va to see this kid yesterday, former Va Tech commit.
Combo guard. 6'3" 180 lbs.
Hmmm?

Reactions: TheGLOV
So ol' Roy goes up to Va to see this kid yesterday, former Va Tech commit.
Combo guard. 6'3" 180 lbs.
Hmmm?
I’m not sure what to make of that... folks keep saying not to worry about Cole until Roy starts recruiting more guards. Maybe this is a fallback in case Cole goes to Oregon or maybe there is some concern from the coaching staff or maybe Roy wants to land both Harris and Anthony.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Are we worried about Jeremiah's recovery?

Obviously Harris isn't a replacement for Cole, but we need to think about 2020-21, when we won't have Cole or Seventh and (presumably) Leaky will be playing SF. Harris looks solid and will have a year in the system at that point. With any luck, so will Jeremiah.

In this clip, Harris reminds me some of Berry. I don't like that he shoots his treys by first bringing the ball down to gut level to begin his shot. That won't wash in college. The clip doesn't show a lot of treys, so I don't know if that's really an issue.

Not sure if I understand the recruiting tactic of offering only a few high end players, missing out then going after others very late in the game...
That seems to be the most common critique lately: standing pat too long on the top talent while the next tier of talent gets picked off, then having to scramble in the weeds hoping for diamonds in the rough.

Harris is one of those next tier guys at #66. That's in the range of

Leaky
BRob
Kenny
Kennedy
JP
Joel James

This would be a good get. And I don't think it needs to have anything to do with Cole. We need good players for next year and beyond. We need guys that can start after a year or two, not just OADs and depth guys. Let's take him AND Cole (AND hopefully Rayjon Tucker plus McKoy).

Roy knows what he's doing. Look at what he has done since coming back.

It's wasted breath for some people who do nothing but bemoan over recruiting. It doesn't matter that Roy has delivered more than anyone could ever have reasonably expected. It doesn't matter that they have no real idea what is actually taking place. It doesn't matter that Roy has a career .788 winning percentage since 1988 and knows more about coaching then they do about most anything.

that-people-enjoy-life-and-stop-bitching-about-everything-5028908.png

Are we worried about Jeremiah's recovery?

Obviously Harris isn't a replacement for Cole, but we need to think about 2020-21, when we won't have Cole or Seventh and (presumably) Leaky will be playing SF. Harris looks solid and will have a year in the system at that point. With any luck, so will Jeremiah.

In this clip, Harris reminds me some of Berry. I don't like that he shoots his treys by first bringing the ball down to gut level to begin his shot. That won't wash in college. The clip doesn't show a lot of treys, so I don't know if that's really an issue.

...and it is now Saturday...

This kids highlight reels is at least impressive, The Last kid From the Panther High looked the part of a Penn state player... This kid Looks like a VT type which I guess is where we stand recruiting nowadays.

Bravo!!! Leah D really likes a highlight reel that shows defensive plays. Looks like an ideal four-year prospect

This would be a good get. And I don't think it needs to have anything to do with Cole. We need good players for next year and beyond. We need guys that can start after a year or two, not just OADs and depth guys. Let's take him AND Cole (AND hopefully Rayjon Tucker plus McKoy).

I agree, I like the interest in Harris as he fills the need of a combo guard which Roy has been trying to get in this class previously going after Boogie and Mann. He will be a valuable get as he projects to be a multi-year guy that I can definitely see developing in the program and being a key piece for us in his sophmore year and on. He also will be able to get good minutes as a freshman next year which should certainly help his development too. As a combo, he gives us the ability to slot him on the floor next to another point like Cole and give us another ball handler and playmaker. I also think they can play well together especially on the defensive end, I very much like the idea of Cole, Harris and Leaky or B-Rob defending out on the perimiter for us.

A few reports that I have read have been very complimentary of his defense, commending him for the impact he makes on that end of the floor and the effort he gives. He also has played on a very good travel team in Team Takeover and high school team in Paul VI, which is another benefit as he already knows how to play with and work well together with other talented players for team oriented goals. Also, getting another kid from Virginia certainly can’t hurt as it will only further enforce our pipeline there too.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Were we in the running or even pursuing him prior to his commitment?
247 has a list of Prospects. Seems to include kids with offers and also some who are getting interest but don't have offers. I can't say for certain, but I don't think Harris ever appeared on that list.

If you look at our 2020 class, 247's Offers list shows 7 players, while the Prospect list has 14. The unoffered prospects include a couple in the 2nd 50, a guy ranked 210 and Justin Jackson's brother.

The #210 kid is a SF from NC, Silas Mason, and looks a lot better than #210 to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT