ADVERTISEMENT

The Grad Transfer Thread

I don't see anyone paying for a grad transfer that most likely won't end up being a big name. I guess it's possible in today's world though.
I don’t think Nike/Adidas would pay because you’re right they’re usually not big NBA talents, but I’d be pretty surprised if coaches/boosters wouldn’t. The grad transfers are still worth a lot in terms of program success. The idea of bag men boosters is popular in football, why wouldn’t it be a thing in basketball? I’d bet there are rich fans of most of the big time schools willing to pony up some money to see a better team.

Last year, UNC recruited grad transfer Jack Whitman from William and Mary. He signed with Kansas, but left campus after only a few days. I've asked my Kansas friends what happened to him. They don't know and nothing on Google. Anybody out there know what happened to Jack Whitman?
No clue. I wondered the same thing.

Obviously USC needed him more than we do. They only have 6 new guys coming in - just the 4th ranked recruiting class.

Plus Derryck Thornton.

I don’t think Nike/Adidas would pay because you’re right they’re usually not big NBA talents, but I’d be pretty surprised if coaches/boosters wouldn’t. The grad transfers are still worth a lot in terms of program success. The idea of bag men boosters is popular in football, why wouldn’t it be a thing in basketball? I’d bet there are rich fans of most of the big time schools willing to pony up some money to see a better team.
I'm not saying it's not possible, just think it's unlikely. I would think those boosters would prefer to use that money on big name recruits. Probably more so in football at USC since they are a football school.

We never even offered this kid come on guys inknow its looking bad but dang. We didnt even offer. Kid from charleston aouthern is way better and i still think we end up with tucker if he can get through admissions

I'd be surprised if we land Pierce. Looks like ND and Michigan are promising him big time roles, while Roy told him we will take him, but can't tell him his exact role because he is waiting on high school kids.

It's obvious that these recruits do not want to sign with us because of 7th Woods. The thought of 7th as our starting PG is scaring recruits away from UNC

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
The longer this goes on the more it looks like we will be stuck with who we’ve got coming back which is awful.

Reactions: jah420
Would love to see Balckshear in Chapel Hill, and doubt with a new coach taking over at VT that they would put up the fight that Pitt did with Cam. But realistically, I have to think that he might want to follow Buzz to TAMU. We will see. And I am conflicted on all the grad transfer stuff. From a personal rights standpoint, I think any player, no matter their status, should be able to transfer any time they want. Coaches, athletic directors, administrators, can pick up and leave anytime they want to for personal (usually financial) reasons. But in the other hand, I don't like guys making a commitment to a team and then just picking up and leaving.

Last edited:
No, he really didn't. He was a PG whom Roy asked to score, but was above all a floor-general who spaced the floor, moved the defense, consistently made the right decisions, and thought 2 passes ahead enabling us to freelance as a default --- something we couldn't do this season.

A lot of the things you suggest a PG does can be done by anyone on the floor. This year for example Kenny and Garrison did a lot of the communicating. When Berry was playing Theo did a lot of these things.

While I agree a floor general is an important part of a traditional PG, so are specific skill sets.

Berry was not a great facilitator, which for me is the most important aspect of a PG. He frequently took difficult 3's when Luke, Kenny, or Cam had better shots. He drove a lot, but avoided contact and tried to make difficult finishes instead of dishing or kicking. This shows up in his low FG%, low 3pt%, and modest assists his senior year.

I would be very excited with these additions late:
Cole Anthony
Christian Keeling
Justin Pierce
Precious Achiuwa

You can add Brooks and be top 4 in the ACC with that wish list...

my guess is we get Keeling and Cole..

Here's a great link that someone posted on TOS.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-basketball-transfer-rankings-2019-20-2020-21

There are a bunch of bigs on the list, including one who has 2 years of eligibility left. Are we confident that Sterling or Huff will improve enough to play all the minutes Garrison and Armando leave available?

That could be up to 30 minutes (if the B&B boys each play 25). Even if Garrison and Armando can handle 30 mpg (which no freshman has done for us since Hansbrough), that still leaves 20 front line minutes to fill on a team that doesn't seem to have much small ball potential.

In other words, we probably have starter minutes to offer if not necessarily a starting slot.

4. Shakur Juiston, 6-7, 220 pounds, PF, RS Jr., UNLV
Expected to get a redshirt for this past season after playing just eight games. Was a force in 2017-18, averaging 14.6 points and 10.0 rebounds.

10. Jayce Johnson, 7-0, 235 pounds, C, RS Jr., Utah
Was a major factor down the stretch for Utah, especially on the glass and at the defensive end. Averaged 7.1 points and 7.7 rebounds.

15. Joey Brunk, 6-11, 230 pounds, PF, RS Soph., Butler
Brunk has Indiana and Ole Miss on his trail, and he has two years left to play. Averaged 7.6 points and 3.6 rebounds.

24. Pat Andree, 6-8, 225 pounds, PF, RS Jr., Lehigh
The perfect stretch-4 for a high-major program, Andree averaged 12.9 points and 6.2 rebounds and shot 41.9 percent from 3-point range.

25. TJ Holyfield, 6-8, 227 pounds, PF, RS Jr., Stephen F. Austin
Holyfield announced he would be visiting Kansas, Illinois, Texas Tech, Miami and Oregon. Averaged 12.9 points and 6.4 rebounds in 2017-18.

26. Derrik Smits, 7-1, 240 pounds, C, RS Jr., Valparaiso
Given his size and production, Smits is being pursued by Arizona State, NC State and Butler. Averaged 12.2 points and 5.7 rebounds.

27. Matej Kavas, 6-8, 200 pounds, F, RS Jr., Seattle
He missed time with a broken shin, but Kavas still shot 45.8 percent from 3. Averaged 15.2 points in 2017-18 and 10.3 points in 2018-19.

29. Alihan Demir, 6-9, 232 pounds, PF, RS Jr., Drexel
There aren't a ton of bigs on the grad market, which makes Demir a more sought-after option. Averaged 14.8 points and 6.4 rebounds.

30. Keith Stone, 6-8, 253 pounds, PF, RS Jr., Florida
Missed the last half of the season with an injury, but Stone has good size and provides inside-outside production. Averaged 6.1 points and shot 40.5 percent from 3.

39. Dominik Olejniczak, 7-0, 255 pounds, C, RS Jr., Ole Miss
He started his career at Drake and didn't put up big numbers at Ole Miss, but he is a 7-footer who can fill a role. Averaged 5.3 points and 3.0 rebounds.

[QUOTE

If we don't add anyone else and Roy gets this team anywhere close to where we've been the last two years, then I crown Roy the greatest coach of all time.
It would certainly be the best coaching job of his career. The roster as it stands now might be the least talented team he has had in his coaching career, at least while being at Carolina.

There are a bunch of bigs on the list, including one who has 2 years of eligibility left. Are we confident that Sterling or Huff will improve enough to play all the minutes Garrison and Armando leave available?

I think we're in pretty good shape at center. PF we need some love. Garrison can't play 40 minutes, and I'm not sure we want Sterling or Huff at the 4. Guess they could go 5 and Bacot slide to 4. But then that's tons of minutes for Bacot.

Leaky could fill in at 4, but we're also shallow at wing.

If nothing else we're missing bodies at this point. Won't have any roster flexibility regardless of talent level.

I think we're in pretty good shape at center. PF we need some love. Garrison can't play 40 minutes, and I'm not sure we want Sterling or Huff at the 4. Guess they could go 5 and Bacot slide to 4. But then that's tons of minutes for Bacot.

If nothing else we're missing bodies at this point. Won't have any roster flexibility regardless of talent level.
We definitely can't afford any injuries. We need 7th to find his inner 14 year old self. Brooks to continue to improve. Manley to get his legs under him. B-Rob to get some legs and Leaky to make a 2nd year jump if we want to be competitive next year (as far as our current roster stands).

Going to take 3 more players to compete, and they need to average about 40 points between them..

I think you laid it out. We could use a SF or 2 and/or a PF. SF and PF would plug the holes.

But we don't seem to be targeting any PFs. I hope that means Roy has confidence in his rising juniors.

I really don't want to see Leaky playing the 4. He probably can, but it's hard to see that as good for him or the team

This could all be moot. Sterling and/or Huff might make great strides over the summer. Who knows, maybe even Walker will become a serviceable backup PF. In short minutes at the end of the season, he was looking like he was starting to get it. Still weak and slow, but with his length, if it clicks upstairs, he might be OK for short minutes. He doesn't shoot treys, but his short jumper is decent, and hard to block.

A lot of the things you suggest a PG does can be done by anyone on the floor. This year for example Kenny and Garrison did a lot of the communicating. When Berry was playing Theo did a lot of these things.

While I agree a floor general is an important part of a traditional PG, so are specific skill sets.

Berry was not a great facilitator, which for me is the most important aspect of a PG. He frequently took difficult 3's when Luke, Kenny, or Cam had better shots. He drove a lot, but avoided contact and tried to make difficult finishes instead of dishing or kicking. This shows up in his low FG%, low 3pt%, and modest assists his senior year.
Sorry but that is just incorrect on several counts. Berry ran the show as well or better than anyone who has played here. Fact is, Roy specifically told him to create shots for himself that last season because his surrounding cast his Senior year wasn't optimum in finishing. That supporting cast had improved markedly by this past season (especially Cam). And JB did not avoid contact, he just didn't get the calls, and saying he passed up guys with better shots is just flat inaccurate --- Kenny got way more touches that season than this past one, for example. But ultimately it was about the other options. Hell, it got to the point in 2018 that feeding the post was just a wasted pass, which is something no UNC PG has ever had to deal with.

I can tell you that everything I mentioned were internal topics of conversation within the team and staff the following summer, and because of that everyone in the off-season dedicated themselves to rectifying those individual deficiencies (and of course Cam's surgery was the magic pill for him).

Fact is, Roy specifically told him to create shots for himself that last season because his surrounding cast his Senior year wasn't optimum in finishing.

If so that's a bummer. Joel took 100 more 3pt attempts than anyone else while shooting a much lower %. WAY lower than Kenny or Luke. He also did not finish well around the rim. One of my favorite Tarheels, but just being realistic. He tried to create too much his senior year and was not a good distributor. We may not have had a typical inside presence, but he absolutely had weapons around him.

Reactions: Heelicious
Going to take 3 more players to compete, and they need to average about 40 points between them..

Overly negative assessment. You're predicting based on low usage% and few minutes per game from our current backups. We've got guys who were highly recruited coming out of HS and have been in the program a few years. I don't know that they can step up, but we should give them the benefit of the doubt.

Huge!!! Texas A&M will be tough to beat. Roy must pour his heart and soul into landing Blackshear!

May not get him. But one thing that I never worry about with Roy is the effort he will give on the recruiting trail. Look at his recruitment with Zion. I don't know any source that ever thought UNC was the leader for his services. But Roy made endless trips to Spartanburg. More than any of the coaches trying to land him. Roy may not get a certain player, but am always confident that his effort on the recruiting trail isn't an issue

Reactions: mikeirbyusa
Leaky's 6'8 which would be tall for a 3, and Brob is 6'5 which is near average for a college 3. Height isn't bad, but we do need another wing for minutes.
Or 6'7 and 6'4, depending on whose numbers you believe. And scrawny, at 185 and 170, respectively.

Not saying they can't play SF, but we are used to 6'6 bulls like Nas and Theo - not to mention 6'8 Justin and 6'9 Cam.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Easily the least talented team he’s ever coached and certainly the least talented we’ve had since the 8-20 debacle.

Oh how times have changed. The 8-20 team had the following nationally ranked players

#10, 11, 22, 24, 25, 33, 37, 54 Plus...ORLANDO FREAKING MELENDEZ

Roy's NIT season had the following Nationally Ranked players

# 5, 9, 18, 24, 29, 37, 38, 43, 44, 44, 79

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT