ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

While it is difficult to ever remove the stink of dookie from peeps, I'm more concerned with him moving so much! At some point, you have to look at the common denominator. I thought he had the skill to play a lot more than he did at puke, but I wonder why he can't find a place to be comfortable! I am not worried in the least since I have already seen how good our staff is at mining the portal. Hubs identifies and then fills holes as well as anybody out there!
But the other guys like Wocik are on their 3rd team as well, Loyola to Brown to the portal and our contact? The portal is about half open until the tournament is done, his movement isn't a concern to if he fits.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
His past success is definitely encouraging. The question is whether the just-ended season will tarnish UNC's luster in the eyes of recruits we might want.

I take it as given that if Hubert wants them other top schools probably do, too.

How will we fare against schools still playing like Houston, Gonzaga, UCLA, Texas or Tennessee? And, of course, our usual nemeses Duke and Kentucky.

It should still be easy enough to sell Carolina, but there's always that "what have you done lately" question that we can't answer as well this time around, compared with some likely competitors.

If Hubert manages to snap up a great talent quickly, the argument that we needed to pass up the NIT to get a head start on mining the portal will start to look more reasonable. I have dismissed that argument so far, but Hubert could prove me wrong with aggressive early successes.
Sheesh, Carolina played in the national championship last year, but Tennesee, Texas, and the like have what have you done lately in their favor? Talk about extreme recency bias. Really, C'mon.

Top tier talent that is able to play at unc isn't coming to backup. McKoy was an exception but also shows the former comment, and he is transferring out for a reason.

You look to the transfer portal for starters. Or at least convince them they could become the starter and pull the wool over their eyes for a year. If there is no viable path to start, they ain't coming. Period. It's why no PG is coming from the portal and likely no center. Those 2 positions are wrapped up.

I told you all this last year when yinz kept saying you wanted a backup center for Bacot out of the transfer portal. No one is transferring in to sit behind someone definitively.
are you from the burgh?

FWIW a TOS podcast on YouTube basically said most if not all of our departing players were invited to leave. Basically they were told that they probably weren't going to have a big role in the kind of team Hubert wants to rebuild.

Fair enough, if true. But it definitely puts the burden on Hubert to rebuild really well. No excuses about the hand he was dealt from this point going forward, since it sounds like the guys who are returning are guys who were not told they don't have a strong future in this program.

I hope that means RJ, Seth and D'Marco were invited to stay.

The question everybody wants answered sooner rather than later is what is Caleb going to do.

That podcast also said they had info on Jackson on their premium side. Do we have any info that isn't premium?

State's Duwuona (6'11 225) entered the portal. He always struck me as a kid who might get very good in time, but wasn't a good fit for Keating's progam.

Anyone else have thoughts on him as a backup this season who might develop into a starter the following year?

FWIW a TOS podcast on YouTube basically said most if not all of our departing players were invited to leave. Basically they were told that they probably weren't going to have a big role in the kind of team Hubert wants to rebuild.

Fair enough, if true. But it definitely puts the burden on Hubert to rebuild really well. No excuses about the hand he was dealt from this point going forward, since it sounds like the guys who are returning are guys who were not told they don't have a strong future in this program.

The question everybody wants answered sooner rather than later is what is Caleb going to do.

That podcast also said they had info on Jackson on their premium side. Do we have any info that isn't premium?
I have not seen that pod but invited to leave strikes me as a bit strong, talked to frankly, sure but invited to leave seems to need more of a velvet glove for the hammer.

Wow, really. Asked to leave. Seems like the Carolina Way might be fading with the Hubert hire. Would Roy or DES ever done this.

• Sad
State's Duwuona (6'11 225) entered the portal. He always struck me as a kid who might get very good in time, but wasn't a good fit for Keating's progam.

Anyone else have thoughts on him as a backup this season who might develop into a starter the following year?
I think we can do better, frankly, I would prefer a guy from the big 12 or big 10, that is more used to physical play (yeah, I realize where nance came from).

Wow, really. Asked to leave. Seems like the Carolina Way might be fading with the Hubert hire. Would Roy or DES ever done this.
Actually the message has not changed, the guy hearing the message has. Dean recruited over guys, Roy did to, every coach not only does but has to. Now if you are told that the production was just not good enough last season and that you are going to have to look to the portal for a guy at your position to help solve that and that you will be in a battle for PT, that you do not have a reserved spot as a starter, kids used to man up and work harder, now they transfer. It is a soft weak in the knees approach, it is a bit of the spoiled child syndrome. In the real world you are entitled to nothing but a chance and some are lucky to get even that. EVERY kid that puts on that Tar Heel jersey has a chance, the question is how hard are they willing to work to make the most of the chances they are given because someone else is out there willing to give everything they have for the same chance you have.

So you can run away or you can stand and fight... I want guys willing to stand and fight on my side!

• Love
Good try troll!

Roy and DES had frank and open conversations with all their recruits throughout history. They told them about their expected roles, whether or not they had pro interest, and then advised them on the best course for THEM! In this new world everything must adapt so the frank conversation now includes the options in the portal! Trying to argue semantics about how the conversation went when none of us were there (even by those with more access) is silly at best. If I hear that Hubs told recruits that their role doesn't look like it will grow and that they would get more PT elsewhere, you could describe it as "telling them to leave" or you could describe it as "giving them the best advice for them" and it depends on the person who receives the info! It would take a person with an agenda or who lacks the minimum ability to recognize what they see to think someone like Hubs would ever allow the slightest slippage in the Carolina Way! puke's illustrious leader actually proved his lack of concern for his players when he attacked peeps publicly for damaging HIS reputation and HIS program!

You have self-identified as a troll (and not a very good one like SDung) and most likely a rat lover! Instead of trying to drag others through the mud, maybe try hoping that Face has the will to start climbing back into the light!

I have not seen that pod but invited to leave strikes me as a bit strong, talked to frankly, sure but invited to leave seems to need more of a velvet glove for the hammer.
DS don't trust so-called Christians who cuss like sailors.:rolleyes:

Good try troll!

Roy and DES had frank and open conversations with all their recruits throughout history. They told them about their expected roles, whether or not they had pro interest, and then advised them on the best course for THEM! In this new world everything must adapt so the frank conversation now includes the options in the portal! Trying to argue semantics about how the conversation went when none of us were there (even by those with more access) is silly at best. If I hear that Hubs told recruits that their role doesn't look like it will grow and that they would get more PT elsewhere, you could describe it as "telling them to leave" or you could describe it as "giving them the best advice for them" and it depends on the person who receives the info! It would take a person with an agenda or who lacks the minimum ability to recognize what they see to think someone like Hubs would ever allow the slightest slippage in the Carolina Way! puke's illustrious leader actually proved his lack of concern for his players when he attacked peeps publicly for damaging HIS reputation and HIS program!

You have self-identified as a troll (and not a very good one like SDung) and most likely a rat lover! Instead of trying to drag others through the mud, maybe try hoping that Face has the will to start climbing back into the light!
Wow, why so angry. May take a few years, but I think we will be back when the new coach is hired.

DS don't trust so-called Christians who cuss like sailors.:rolleyes:
Guys, please don't include me in the heat you guys have for another poster. For me I find WW as a guy that I can have a good discussion with, does not mean I agree with him all the time, sometimes I do and some times I don't. But he will discuss with me and things do not get mean spirited and that is not always the case with some others. I am not going to try to judge someone's level of faith just because they let a cuss word slip out, let he that is without sin cast that first stone (for the record that eliminates me from casting that rock :).

I really would love to think it was possible that one day we could have this board be about back and forth honest and fair discussion of UNC basketball that does not have this personal insulting rude behavior between posters. My rule for myself and I DO NOT BREAK IT, is that I never say anything on this board that I am not 100% willing and would actually prefer to say to you face to face. I just wish everyone would follow that same rule! I have NEVER demanded anyone agree with anything I say, I am going to try to give you how I see things and try to understand how you see them, you give me your argument, I will give mine, lets see who has the better case. I learn more from those I initially do not agree with than I do those that agree with me all the time.

And a fake christian
This reference misses me. (Most likely I missed something in another thread) Who curses like a sailor? I know it isn't me and I feel strongly it isn't Hubs so.....

And as for the troll, I'd be willing to bet puke jettisons Face way before Hubs retires as UNC's coach!

This reference misses me. (Most likely I missed something in another thread) Who curses like a sailor? I know it isn't me and I feel strongly it isn't Hubs so.....

And as for the troll, I'd be willing to bet puke jettisons Face way before Hubs retires as UNC's coach!
Exactly how much would that bet be for TP? I mean, considering current events that strikes me as a bigger gamble than it would have a year ago. I do NOT gamble, I just don't but pretty sure there will be several eager to line up to take that bet...LOL

They weren't invited to leave. Hubert had an honest discussion with them, same as he did with Walton last year. Same as he did with Brooks, Platek, and Miller after he first got the job.

Basically that they had not showed anything to warrant becoming starters in the offense Hubert wants to run. So he'd be adding starter caliber transfers. They'd be given the chance to compete for playing time, but no guarantee their role would be bigger next season.

They weren't invited to leave. Hubert had an honest discussion with them, same as he did with Walton last year. Same as he did with Brooks, Platek, and Miller after he first got the job.

Basically that they had not showed anything to warrant becoming starters in the offense Hubert wants to run. So he'd be adding starter caliber transfers. They'd be given the chance to compete for playing time, but no guarantee their role would be bigger next season.
Dang it, please don't anyone tell chappel that he said something I actually agree with, I wouldn't want him to have a mental episode over it! OK, that was said in humor so take it with a smile.

Reactions: alabamaheel
I am not going to try to judge someone's level of faith just because they let a cuss word slip out, let he that is without sin cast that first stone (for the record that eliminates me from casting that rock :).

I really would love to think it was possible that one day we could have this board be about back and forth honest and fair discussion of UNC basketball that does not have this personal insulting rude behavior between posters. My rule for myself and I DO NOT BREAK IT, is that I never say anything on this board that I am not 100% willing and would actually prefer to say to you face to face. I just wish everyone would follow that same rule!
And I'm ok with most of that, but there is a group on this board(and they don't hide it) that work together to create chaos and division around here.
It's the #1 reason I try to hold a discussion with only a few people here.

Sounds like "invited to leave" to me. But why are we quibbling about my word choice? And why does nobody bother to read what I actually said in the next sentence, which was

Basically they were told that they probably weren't going to have a big role in the kind of team Hubert wants to rebuild.

...which sounds pretty much exactly like what several here have said in an effort to correct me.

There are a few things I just can't seem to fathom:

1. Why peeps can't seem to disagree with ideas or opinions without being disagreeable to the person who has them.
2. Why peeps love to see division and dissention. (The thread derailers in particular and yes, I recognize the irony))
3. The pathetic mentality of a troll (should be #1)
4. the idea that for me to be right someone else has to be wrong! (2 right thinking peeps can witness or experience the exact same thing and see or interpret it completely differently! And neither has to be wrong or a liar!)
5. Why the idea that there is a difference between constructive criticism and bashing is so difficult for peeps to grasp. (And that it is easy to discern)
6. Why the idea of the Carolina Way is such a catalyst for strong negative opinions.

And I'm ok with most of that, but there is a group on this board(and they don't hide it) that work together to create chaos and division around here.
It's the #1 reason I try to hold a discussion with only a few people here.
YOU TOLD TRUTH THERE!

Trust me my friend, I am FULLY aware of that, I have had heat with pretty much all of them, know them well, thou wish I didn't. And in truth, WW and I got off to a bit of a heated start, I don't even recall what it was over but trust me, it took a while before he and I could have civil conversations back and forth. But I felt he made good arguments and unlike some, he would actually tell what he didn't agree with and most of the time why he saw it that way and that I do very much respect.

Jung is another good example, I actually like jung but I will go out of my way to find a way to disagree with him, I have! But he never comes back throwing flame, I respect that, I am still not gonna agree with him much but I enjoy that back and forth with him. My best friend is a BIG TIME dukie and I have never had a better friend but he HATES UNC, recent phone calls between us have not been enjoyable but he had some pay back coming from the smack I talked to him last season! LOL

Girard from Syracuse is in the portal
I just saw that, too. Presumably because Boeheim is out.

I remember when he was coming out of HS and some here thought we should go after him. Others said we didn't need another Platek.

Girard proved himself, but it's hard to see how he fits here....

Or is it? He's a fine shooter from 3, deadly from the line, and a solid ball handler, iirc. But do we really need another short guard?

That said, he's a proven ACC caliber player, while Timberlake is not. Not picking on Timberlake, but we won't know how much of his shooting will translate to this league, whereas we know exactly for Girard.

He'll be a fine acquisition for some team, but probably not ours.

A couple players from Louisville in the portal. I imagine it's a pretty hard sell when you couldn't earn minutes on a team that awful. Unless maybe there were injury or other reasons that might be acceptable to our staff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT