ADVERTISEMENT

UNC is aiming for Cameron Johnson

Garrison Brooks.

Completely different case. According to mom, Brooks' father fraudulently signed his LOI. This was both morally and legally wrong. What's worse, this could have opened a can of worms to have the NCAA come sniffing if it got further escalated. MSU wanted zero part of that.

As far as I know, there's no rules being broken by Pitt. Just that it's extremely scummy.

Completely different case. According to mom, Brooks' father fraudulently signed his LOI. This was both morally and legally wrong. What's worse, this could have opened a can of worms to have the NCAA come sniffing if it got further escalated. MSU wanted zero part of that.

As far as I know, there's no rules being broken by Pitt. Just that it's extremely scummy.

Add in the 15 or so kids who signed LOI's this year and asked out of them due to a coaching change.

Tilmon being the first guy off the top of my head.

Add in the 15 or so kids who signed LOI's this year and asked out of them due to a coaching change.

I don't get the argument. If the argument is whether or not public pressure works, the answer is a resounding "yes". And that's not the case just for this situation, but most. Public pressure is a tactic that has been used for years. The reason it's still used is because of its success rate.

Reactions: dadika13
What would be the problem with him sitting when the Heels play Pitt. He can't burn them if he's not playing. It's not like their going to be great next year.

Gary, I get where ya coming from but in order for us to be a final 4 team if Tony were to come back (which I am not expecting) IMO Tony would need to take a big time leap in his game. Now I would expect a big leap from him but how much is a question mark that I would have to see before believing we would be a final 4 level contender. I do think Brooks and Huffman can give us solid play but again, they are both freshmen and it usually takes our bigs a while to produce at the level we would need to be a final 4 team.

Love Luke as a guy off the bench that comes in and plays smart and hits the open look, not excited at the thought of Luke playing 30+mins. Luke played better than anyone could have expected last season but I think we can admit he is athletically limited, gets all he can out of that but it has to be a concern.

I do think we have a final 4 quality back court but with or without Tony, not sold that we have the back court to get us that far. Just IMO.
I feel pretty confident that Tony will be a star next season, if he returns. Not guaranteed, of course, but a solid bet. Other than that, I agree with everything you said.

The decision rendered by Pitt’s internal appeals committee is final and his current procedural options have been exhausted. One of two scenarios would have to occur for Johnson to suit up next season for UNC or another ACC school. The first is Pitt succumbing to public pressure, similar to Michigan’s change of heart in the Albrecht case, and the second would be an eligibility appeal to the NCAA, which would only occur if Johnson signed with UNC or another ACC school and then went through the appeal process.

A: Still different situations. Cam Johnson wouldn't be playing at Pitt regardless of their decision. Pitt knows he wants to go to UNC, and because of the fact they play us next season they aren't keen on doing that. They couldn't care less if he goes west. He doesn't affect their roster or schedule in any way.
Those other kids who were given releases for their LOI are different because there's nothing worse than having a disgruntled player wrecking team chemistry.

B: It doesn't change the fact all those schools had the rule-abiding authority to do so, regardless of the ethical correctness. Even in all of those cases, including Tilmon. They could have restricted those releases in any of those cases if they chose too.

It's clear that Pitt is willing to be a hard-ass, no matter how many articles are written about how stupid it is. Hence why I think only Roy working something out with Stallings can supersede this.

The decision rendered by Pitt’s internal appeals committee is final and his current procedural options have been exhausted. One of two scenarios would have to occur for Johnson to suit up next season for UNC or another ACC school. The first is Pitt succumbing to public pressure, similar to Michigan’s change of heart in the Albrecht case, and the second would be an eligibility appeal to the NCAA, which would only occur if Johnson signed with UNC or another ACC school and then went through the appeal process.
Correct.

Cam's case seems very similar to Spike Albrecht's a few years ago. He was a graduate transfer and they originally blocked his transfer to Purdue but eventually relented to public pressure.

No one ever answered my question of whether or not Cam could play for an ACC team as a walk-on without sitting a year. Anyone?

On graduate transfers? Can you cite the rule?

14.6.1 One-Time Transfer Exception. A graduate student who is enrolled in a graduate or professional school of an institution other than the institution from which he or she previously received a baccalaureate degree may participate in intercollegiate athletics if the student fulfills the conditions of the one-time transfer exception set forth in Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10 and has eligibility remaining per Bylaw 12.8. A graduate student who does not meet the one-time transfer exception due to the restrictions of Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10-(a) shall qualify for this exception, provided: (Adopted: 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96, Revised: 4/27/06, 1/6/07 effective 8/1/07, 4/28/11 effective 8/1/11, 7/31/14)

(a) The student fulfills the remaining conditions of Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10;

(b) The student has at least one season of competition remaining; and

(c) The student's previous institution did not renew his or her athletically related financial aid for the following academic year.

14.5.5.2.10 One-Time Transfer Exception. The student transfers to the certifying institution from another four-year collegiate institution, and all of the following conditions are met (for graduate students, see Bylaw 14.6.1): (Revised: 1/16/93 effective 8/1/93, 1/11/94, 1/10/95, 1/9/96, 1/11/97, 11/1/00 effective 8/1/01, 4/26/01, 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05, 4/27/06 effective 10/15/06, 12/15/06, 4/27/07 effective 8/1/08, 4/29/10 effective 8/1/10, 4/22/11)

(a) The student is a participant in a sport other than baseball, basketball, bowl subdivision football or men's ice hockey at the institution to which the student is transferring. A participant in championship subdivision football at the institution to which the student is transferring may use this exception only if the participant transferred to the certifying institution from an institution that sponsors bowl subdivision football and has two or more seasons of competition remaining in football or the participant transfers from a Football Championship Subdivision institution that offers athletically related financial aid in football to a Football Championship Subdivision institution that does not offer athletically related financial aid in football;

(b) The student has not transferred previously from one four-year institution unless, in the previous transfer, the student-athlete received an exception per Bylaw 14.5.5.2.6 (discontinued/nonsponsored sport exception);

(c) At the time of transfer to the certifying institution (see Bylaw 14.5.2), the student would have been academically eligible had he or she remained at the institution from which the student transferred, except that he or she is not required to have fulfilled the necessary percentage-of-degree requirements at the previous institution; and

(d) If the student is transferring from an NCAA or NAIA member institution, the student's previous institution shall certify in writing that it has no objection to the student being granted an exception to the transfer-residence requirement. If an institution receives a written request for a release from a student-athlete, the institution shall grant or deny the request within seven business days. If the institution fails to respond to the student-athlete's written request within seven business days, the release shall be granted by default and the institution shall provide a written release to the student-athlete.

No one ever answered my question of whether or not Cam could play for an ACC team as a walk-on without sitting a year. Anyone?

Under the rules as currently constructed by Pitt...no. He'd have to sit.

That's what Roy is fighting for, a full release with no stipulations of sitting.

Just did these 3 tweets from my twitter site (82,000 followers)........:)

Reactions: BillyL
Stallings,friend in the off season..Pitt shall be as.. Moo U, no mercy home or away..beat down, beat up...to the Pitt hierarchy--this is America, right?...land of opportunity-the American dream..yeah, right!

Dickie V getting in on the act.....can ya believe it?

Johnson has committed his eligibility to pitt in a legally binding contract. His eligibility allows four seasons of playing irregardless of whether he graduates before the eligibility expires. It is entirely up to pitt, as it is any school, to decide if they will forego their rights to his eligibility before it expires and the circumstances under which they do it. They are taking a bad PR hit over it for sure. But legally they are within their rights and aint a damn thing anyone can do about it without pitt cooperating. I feel there should be a loophole for kids that graduate, or are subject to a coaching change, to be able to transfer their eligibility where they want without penalty but that would take the ncaa stepping in to make that happen.

Butttttt scholarships are good for 1 year.....Pitt has zero legal ground to stand on

Once you graduate there should be zero restrictions, zero.

bet the ncaa would force us to allow a player to transfer & not sit out if we had a player transferring to another acc school

Cam Johnson doesn't yet have a waiver from Pittsburgh yet, but is set to officially visit UNC on Monday. Just a matter of time folks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT