ADVERTISEMENT

UNC vs App State game thread-Saturday 3 September 2022

Not sure about that. Longo doesn't run a NFL offense.

Thats true. But he’s still making a lot of NFL level throws and showing enough mobility to escape pressure and keep plays alive.

Longo seems to be using zone read a lot less with Drake than he did with Sam

I am confident that is the first time in the history of college football that a team missed 2 2 point conversions in the final 31 seconds of the game.

Probably not want him to leave, but I'm sure he'll definitely bring up the possibility.
If he leaves, he leaves. I don't expect him to leave.

If we would have LOST today??? I might be more inclined to agree.

Right now, we don't know what's going to happen. If he keeps having games like the last two??? Why go anywhere else? He's not getting hurt like Sam, unless he makes bad decisions where it's all his fault (sacrificing himself unnecessarily)

Thats true. But he’s still making a lot of NFL level throws and showing enough mobility to escape pressure and keep plays alive.

Longo seems to be using zone read a lot less with Drake than he did with Sam
Sam did all of that, but still fell to the 5th. That was because he had a bad QB coach. The issues Sam had in his freshman year were the same issues he had when he left.

And I'm not sure if he's necessarily using it less. Just that Drake has better weapons this year than Sam had last year.

i was pissed and left to walk the pup at 49-49…lol do i need to watch the last few minutes or just drink?

Sam did all of that, but still fell to the 5th. That was because he had a bad QB coach. The issues Sam had in his freshman year were the same issues he had when he left.

And I'm not sure if he's necessarily using it less. Just that Drake has better weapons this year than Sam had last year.

Sam did show some issues with hanging on to the ball and locking in on receivers. It's still early but Drake does not seem to have those issues. He's done a better job of getting rid of the ball and seeing the entire field.

Offensive scheme aside, if what we've seen so far is an indication of what we can expect for his whole career, he will be a first rounder.

Sam did all of that, but still fell to the 5th.
I think that was the lack of awareness of NFL teams. Washington got a huge gift. I'm not sure that Sam would have been a Heisman winner if he'd played for Alabama. I don't know that he would have fit in the Alabama offense. I'm not a football talent expert, either. But, it's not uncommon for the NFL to overlook a college player's potential. Tom Brady is a prime example.

Sam did show some issues with hanging on to the ball and locking in on receivers. It's still early but Drake does not seem to have those issues. He's done a better job of getting rid of the ball and seeing the entire field.

Offensive scheme aside, if what we've seen so far is an indication of what we can expect for his whole career, he will be a first rounder.
Drake seems to me, at this point, an even more efficient Sam Howell. Aside from those stupid plays where he gets circus-tackled and should NEVER do that, he's much more sound in his decision making. And, I think he might have better protection than Sam seemed to have.

There's a lot of football left to be played, too.

The way it looks the best Criswell can hope for is Maye to be injured. I'd hit the portal if I was him.

Drake's job at UNC is clear - it will be to outscore the other team with zero help from the D. Any team that can present a decent defensive effort will beat the Heels. Drake would be smart to look for a team that will support him on both sides of the ball.

The last few minutes was like watching the end of the State game last year. Total stupidity at the highest level of stupidness.
Except that luck went our way for the W.

My take on the fact that we still see the same level of bad play, stupid play: Mack cannot cut it, not if you want to have any chance to win the ACC. Mack has gotten a glorious welcoming, and he has overseen an improvement in recruiting, but his age plus his hirtory of coaching issues mean he is not a coach who is likely to lead us to that vey long awaited next ACC Championship.

Mack should be encouraged to retire and become an associate AD.

Except that luck went our way for the W.

My take on the fact that we still see the same level of bad play, stupid play: Mack cannot cut it, not if you want to have any chance to win the ACC. Mack has gotten a glorious welcoming, and he has overseen an improvement in recruiting, but his age plus his hirtory of coaching issues mean he is not a coach who is likely to lead us to that vey long awaited next ACC Championship.

Mack should be encouraged to retire and become an associate AD.
I agree... but, then we won't even have the recruiting!

It will be back to Bunting-era bottom-dwelling.

UNC is just not a football program. It never was, never will be. We do have basketball. Most colleges never have either one.

Or with Warren as co-dc and secondary coach? Not all on Bly.
When Warren arrived last time, he quickly turned a poor producing secondary into a sound one. Bly is charismatic and his Boyz love him. Bly does not have to try to be in the way in order to be in the way. As long as he is CB coach, many DBs are going to identify with him, which necessarily will retard them in any learning from Warren.

UNC is just not a football program. It never was, never will be. We do have basketball. Most colleges never have either one.
Then UNC may need to think about joining the Big East.

Reactions: Oak ridger
When Warren arrived last time, he quickly turned a poor producing secondary into a sound one. Bly is charismatic and his Boyz love him. Bly does not have to try to be in the way in order to be in the way. As long as he is CB coach, many DBs are going to identify with him, which necessarily will retard them in any learning from Warren.
Right….

i don’t necessarily agree re: recruiting…the field is as level as ever with nil and carolina now has that in it’s argyle sock.

As long as he is CB coach, many DBs are going to identify with him, which necessarily will retard them in any learning from Warren.
i don’t know that…do you know that?…why wouldn’t warren trump any technique or philosophy over bly?

look, i appreciate bly coming back and taking the 757/948 back, but damn his corners don’t develop.

i mean, i miss patrice rene at this point…at least he was in your grill.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archer2
watching ga st @ scarolina…they can also run the football…granger isn’t that accurate so maybe only one thing to work on this week.

Craziest game I've seen or listened to, Jones on radio...
Plenty of work to do in areas on both sides of the ball, emphasis on defense.

Reactions: Archer2
If he leaves, he leaves. I don't expect him to leave.

If we would have LOST today??? I might be more inclined to agree.

Right now, we don't know what's going to happen. If he keeps having games like the last two??? Why go anywhere else? He's not getting hurt like Sam, unless he makes bad decisions where it's all his fault (sacrificing himself unnecessarily)
He's played against Florida A&M and AppSt. He's going to go up against teams with bigger, better, faster defenses and he's getting zero help from his own D. Absent Hood's 71-yarder, his backs averaged 3.3 yards a carry against App. Maye, all by his lonesome, doubled that. That's a recipe for him spending a lot of time staring at the sky.

i don’t necessarily agree re: recruiting…the field is as level as ever with nil and carolina now has that in it’s argyle sock.
Correct. And Mack is far from the only guy who can be a recruiting power at UNC.

He has a bet with the players that if they win, he dances with them. Just like the SC game and several others throughout the years.
That is at best something silly. If you aren't dominating, then silly quickly becomes a joke that starts to destroy your image. You can bet that everybody recruiting against us is going to show that clip and talk about Mack as an over the hill doofus dancing after his team was very lucky to win the game. That means he is not taking football seriously.

Mack is not going to be able to keep up the recruiting with this kind of team production.

That is at best something silly. If you aren't dominating, then silly quickly becomes a joke that starts to destroy your image. You can bet that everybody recruiting against us is going to show that clip and talk about Mack as an over the hill doofus dancing after his team was very lucky to win the game. That means he is not taking football seriously.

Mack is not going to be able to keep up the recruiting with this kind of team production.
Send in your resume, Coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT