ADVERTISEMENT

UNC vs Cal. Game thread

How can you justify overruling the field on that? One angle looked like the ball was a half yard over the line when the block was made; the other seemed to me to have the ball over the line.
That's how it looked to me, too. Both in our favor, although the better angle was very close. You don't overrule on a close call that actually looks more in our favor than otherwise.

This loss is not on Elliott even as poorly as he played for 3 quarters. It is on Fedora and Kapliovic. The offense simply was not prepared to play this game. We looked totally uncoached on offense until the 4th quarter.

One of the things I said about the shoegate suspensions is that we could be screwed to start the season if Fedora had his heart set on Surratt as QB. I think that may have played a big role today.

Fedora cannot prepare a team to open the season as it should. His teams commit many stupid penalties. He stubbornly keeps less than top notch coordinators.

My personal opinion I just don’t see many playmakers on either side of the ball. Definitely not enough to compete for championships. I guess it will be another long painful season

If we can't buy out Fed then we need to send him to some self help seminars. Or maybe just send him to the jungle and make him trip on ayahuasca to figure out why he makes stupid decisions.

Ok a lot of people want fedora gone so who would you want to take over? Realistic options too.

Ok a lot of people want fedora gone so who would you want to take over? Realistic options too.
I guess that depends on what you mean by realistic. If you mean someone who would be willing to come, I'll take Kiffin. The guys who write the checks would never allow that though.

Reactions: midline
I'll pass on mid major coaches for awhile.

I don't think he would come and he would be too expensive for UNC anyway.

Offer him 4M+ per year and he might consider it. No way we can come up with that AND pay Fed's buyout though...

Charlie Strong or Lane Kiffin are probably the most realistic options.

I'll pass on mid major coaches for awhile.

I don't think he would come and he would be too expensive for UNC anyway.

He said realistic. He’s definitely realistic.

Venables would more than likely get us where we all want to be, but no way the powers at be would pay to get him.

I wouldn’t mind Lane Kiffin, but as soon as he has any success he’s jumpin to a bigger job.

Reactions: itstartedwithmj
He said realistic. He’s definitely realistic.
I'd rather have someone who has experience on a bigger stage.

I wouldn’t mind Lane Kiffin, but as soon as he has any success he’s jumpin to a bigger job
Anyone who has success here will most likely jump. Kiffin wouldn't be any different. I actually think Kiffin might stay though. He's already had the bigger jobs and it didn't work out.

Our kids fought hard today. That being said, we are terribly coached, Unprepared, undisciplined and marginally talented for a power 5 program. For
Those of you who were saying we’d win 6-7 games this year, you need your head examined. Last year was the beginning of the end for Fedora, and this year will solidify it.

A dear friend pointed out that our talent level this year is a lot like the talent level during the dark days of Bunting.

A dear friend pointed out that our talent level this year is a lot like the talent level during the dark days of Bunting.
I felt back then that every Bunting team had the talent to win 2 more games than it did. Coaching failed to deliver. I think the same about Fedora: coaching fails to deliver all that the team could be.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
I'd rather have someone who has experience on a bigger stage.

Anyone who has success here will most likely jump. Kiffin wouldn't be any different. I actually think Kiffin might stay though. He's already had the bigger jobs and it didn't work out.

I also think Kiffin could be the one coach who could have success here and not use it as a stepping stone to a bigger job. Power 5 school with good in-state recruiting. I think he would do well here.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I'd take Kiffen in a second. Kids love him and he can flat recruit. A little arrogant? Sure. But the man can coach. I'm not as excited about the possibility of Venebles as many are. With the talent they have rolling it at Clemson, just about anybody that knows football would look like a genius at Clemson. And it is all about recruiting talent. Remember that before he got to Clemson he was being demoted at Oklahoma because they couldn't stop anybody. So it isn't some genius scheme he has in place.

I thought our D played well today. The D only gave up 17 points despite being on the field wayyyyyyyyyyyy to long. Obviously the QB struggled, but the real disappointment was the offensive line. NO holes to run and NO time to throw. These guys were well ranked coming out of high school, but they have proven to be soft and they have not developed. Football is a simple game which is one and lost with the big boy's up front.

Now to the officiating. Let's not forget that one touchdown came after the pass interference call in the first half. Now we can argue if it was a good call or not, however our receivers were being held and given arm bars, yet that was just good defense. Then overturning the onside kick was beyond horrible.

I thought our D played well today. The D only gave up 17 points despite being on the field wayyyyyyyyyyyy to long. Obviously the QB struggled, but the real disappointment was the offensive line. NO holes to run and NO time to throw. These guys were well ranked coming out of high school, but they have proven to be soft and they have not developed. Football is a simple game which is one and lost with the big boy's up front.

Now to the officiating. Let's not forget that one touchdown came after the pass interference call in the first half. Now we can argue if it was a good call or not, however our receivers were being held and given arm bars, yet that was just good defense. Then overturning the onside kick was beyond horrible.
Agreed. The TOP was 36 - 24 in Cal's favor, and our D really played well all things considered. I don't know that Cal will be much more than a 6 win team, so its all relative. But we spotted them 14 with the first two INT's and the PI call (which, as you said, looked like the same treatment their DB's were getting away with all game), and it least had the fight to make a game of it. Overturning that onside kick call was ridiculous; just didn't look conclusive enough to me to overturn that.

Bubba should have gone all Pat Hadden on the Hat. He should have met him at RDU, sent him packing. I agree with whoever compared the talent level to that of the Bunting era. This season is not going to get better.

I keep seeing people say this is like the Bunting era...Not even close...I use to turn games off with him coaching...at halftime...

I quit watching at halftime..
My wife made me leave for an errand, with her, at the half. I missed the entire 3rd, but saw the 4th. It was like night and day for the offense. The offense that in the 1st half did nothing right, began to do things right in the 4th.

Because I missed a bit more than a full quarter, I can't say II saw this, but I accept it as true because I trust the source: one of the long time writers for IC said that as poorly as Elliott threw the ball, he also threw 3 passes to Ratliff-Williams that were catchable but were not caught (I recall 2).

If Ratliff-Williams is not catching passes in his zone, and it is clear on other pass plays that the QB and receivers are not on the same page, and the OL is at best inconsistent, and the former high 4* RB recruit seems not to know what he is doing half the time, then something is bad wrong with the entire offense. The entire offense is out of sync - players are not a unit; they are on different pages.

And that must be on the coaches.

That changed in the 4th. Perhaps it is as simple as some have suggested: that when finally Fedora and Kapilovic allowed Elliott to run the ball, the entire offense felt at home and began to click. After all, Fedora has made his offense one very much about the QB running often. And as we all should have recognized from last year, Elliott is a very sneaky runner. He seems to lack the speed, the quickness, the power to get it done, but he does so at least fairly well. Elliott is a good runner with no flash and no flair, which seems to negatively impress many and color their assessments.

As I have noted already, Elliott really was not allowed to run until the 4th quarter, and he led the team with 58 yards. And that was when the offense finally looked something other than dead or totally uncoached or throwing the game.

Reactions: riverswe
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT