ADVERTISEMENT

Wendell Moore

We agree to disagree on Moore. FWIW, his recruitment will not be Ingram part 2 (Coach and Carolina got jilted at the alter), as others will now be prioritized and offered. IMHO, Days will be a Tar Heel.
The Wendell Moore ship has sailed. The kid abused Roy.

Take this as a rumor and treat it as such. My source ( a well connected Ram member) says Moore gave Roy a silent verbal and reneged on it after getting the Duke offer.

Nickelberry is now first in line for that 2019 ship. Roy was not going to sign both of them.
Moore and Josh do not play the same positions. They are not mirrors of one another. Josh is a combo guard and Moore is a SF. After all this time and effort you are saying Roy is going to give up on the young man just because dook throws a curveball and offers him? Moore does not control that. Now he gets an offer from his childhood school and he might have a moment of pause but I still believe we get him and Josh. If in fact he was our #1 recruit for the class of 2019 now we don’t want him? Does not make sense to me. But we shall see.

Yeah I don't get the part about nickleberry/Moore being an either or thing. That makes no sense.

If this kid goes to Dook, the non-offer to Baker while prioritizing this Dook fanboy is literally gonna bite Roy in the ass.

Reactions: RoseHeel
The more you watch the recruiting game the more you simply don't understand it. Coach Williams recruits Wendell Moore for 2 years while Dook shows little to no interest. A article comes out last week that Moore's recruitment is winding down with a decision in late November or early December with everyone knowing he's Chapel Hill bound. The next day after the article comes out Dook offers him a scholarship. He suddenly blows off a 2 year recruitment. Dook tried the same thing the week Leaky Black was announcing his commitment. I don't know Wendell Moore but a lot of these kids have no sense of respect or loyalty. I guess what makes boggles my mind even more is that parents allow this sort of BS to occur. I suppose Coach Williams saw this as a big slap in the face.

A lot of water has gone under this bridge since 2015. Moore knows who prioritized him and who didn't. If he winds up going to d00k at the last minute, so be it. We can win with him or without him. It's his future and his choice. If I'm his parents, I'm telling him to look twice at how his recruiting has transpired. If he still wants to play for the LOM, then he should do so.

Roy has been all in on Moore, to the exclusion of very good players like Baker. I still like our chances.

Im pretty sure digging up tweets from 2 years ago isn't helpful. Roy has put in a TON of work recruiting this kid since then.

This reminds me of ummm, 3 weeks ago when a lot of folks were saying Little was a cheat,we didn't want him anyway, and Arizona is a lock. POOF! Most folks have open arms for him now. Let's see how this plays out. If he really did give Coach a silent and then pulled it back, I'm not sure he really wanted to be at UNC anyway.

Reactions: Archer2
To be honest, I'm not at all worried about Moore's decision. He has the chance to join what is by far the best program in college basketball. If he says yes, great. If not, it's his loss. While everyone has said Carolina's recruiting has been "down" during the scandal, Coach Roy has had incredible success. I have full confidence in the future of this team.

Folks, after the great news Friday and the FBI probe, we are back in the recruiting game. If Moore commits, great. If he doesn't, Roy will find another great player to fill the void.
Agree, except I doubt there's a void at all.... Roy has more wings than Delta at the moment. Sure Moore would have been a good one (and still might be) but if he declines there's plenty of talent on board and potentially to come.

Assorted thoughts:

1) If K took a recruit right out of Roy's hands, good for him. Seriously. College basketball is a zero-sum game, and I can't be mad at another coach for winning a recruiting battle as long as he's honest with the kid.

2) If after careful consideration Moore prefers Duke to Carolina, he should choose Duke. Both are excellent choices. The timing of the offer doesn't matter if he views Duke as his best option.

3) I'm a bit skeptical of the info everyone is reacting so strongly to. Perhaps Moore was a silent commit, and perhaps the Duke offer led him to reevaluate that decision. Even if the fundamental facts of the story are true, the implications may not be. It seems possible that Moore wants to take a step back but will pick Carolina anyway.

4) Credible info tends to spur a crystal ball run, especially among Duke analysts. Such a run has yet to happen. In fact, Chad Lykins from The Devils Den submitted one for Carolina this afternoon.

5) I have no inside info. Maybe the truth is truly that Moore is all-in on Duke now. But based on the info I have access to, "wait and see" seems like the appropriate approach.

Also, to all think this is still not over, we would not take a commitment now from Moore if he called tomorrow and wanted to come! It's over!!!
When did Roy tell you this? Seriously, if he reneged on a silent verbal, that's on him. If he's a big d00k fan and wants to go there, that's on him. We'll win with him or without him, as always. Now I'm not going to give it another thought until he commits.

I have a kid in college and another who is a senior and on his way to college next fall. About the single most fickle living organism on this planet is a teenager trying to make a decision. My youngest just got accepted to ECU and is waiting on 2 others. Trying to get him to decide IF he wants to apply to another college while it is still early enough is like trying to herd cats. And he isn't going to play sports in college, so I can't imagine what having a D1 basketball recruit with offers from the top programs in the country would be like.

I have NO recruiting information and no insight into any of this. All I know is it is a huge decision that will affect the rest of his life. If he wants to step back and reevaluate things because dook offered at the last minute, I have no problem with that. Rat can't lie to him and tell him we will be on probation and when you look at how Rat has recruited over players and let kids languish on the bench for no apparent reason, I like our chances.

IF he choose dook, so be it. Won't bother me in the least. I hope it turns out to be the best decision for him, but if I am his parents, I would take a real hard look at guys who have gone there and been relegated to the bench and would also look at UNC guys who have been given the opportunity to flourish and make sure my son knew all the facts. I would also look at what Roy has done with "less" while the crap has hung over us and let my kid know SOMETHING must be going right at UNC to have excelled like we have the last 5 years.

Either way, we move ahead. He can choose to be part of that ship or watch it sail into the sunset.

So Martin, Slater, Fisher and Lykins all have Moore to UNC and the next 3 national recruiting experts are Prezkop - UNC, Meyer - UNC and Hangford - Dook, next group of national recruiting people 5 have Moore toUNC and Flinn is Dook.
Looks like a great many "experts" are still comfortable with Moore to UNC.

Still 75% to UNC and 25% to Dook...

We slow played Baker for this kid. Now we apparently lead for neither. Smh.

OK, so I could not be more confused, what the heck is going on folks?

1) I see duke offered the kid while he was with us this past weekend, so what, he was visiting us at our Late Night, I don't care if duke offered. Where did all this talk of him having a silent verbal with Roy come from, I have not been aware of one, nor were any of you else it would have been plastered on these boards last week.

2) He grew up a duke fan and wanted an offer from them, geez look at his 2 tweets from 2015 where he was rooting for duke over UNC? Really, tweets from 2015, get out of here with 2yr old tweets. Roy has been on this kid hard for 2yrs, built a really solid relationship since those tweets came out. Duke is just now trying to get in, not easy over coming that long relationship Roy has built. Not to mention the fact that Roy has coached in the last 2 natty games, since those tweets came out. Duke may have been tough if that offer went out 2yrs ago, it didn't.

3) The kid crapped on Roy because duke offered him? I really do not understand that logic? We no longer lead for the kid even thou a post less than an hour ago had us crystal ball leading for the kid at 75%?

4) Some pretty harsh things being said about this kid at a critical time for his decision making. Not only strikes me as unfair but as well very premature. CHILL !

1) I see duke offered the kid while he was with us this past weekend, so what, he was visiting us at our Late Night, I don't care if duke offered. Where did all this talk of him having a silent verbal with Roy come from, I have not been aware of one, nor were any of you else it would have been plastered on these boards last week.

2) He grew up a duke fan and wanted an offer from them, geez look at his 2 tweets from 2015 where he was rooting for duke over UNC? Really, tweets from 2015, get out of here with 2yr old tweets. Roy has been on this kid hard for 2yrs, built a really solid relationship since those tweets came out. Duke is just now trying to get in, not easy over coming that long relationship Roy has built. Not to mention the fact that Roy has coached in the last 2 natty games, since those tweets came out. Duke may have been tough if that offer went out 2yrs ago, it didn't.

3) The kid crapped on Roy because duke offered him? I really do not understand that logic? We no longer lead for the kid even thou a post less than an hour ago had us crystal ball leading for the kid at 75%?

4) Some pretty harsh things being said about this kid at a critical time for his decision making. Not only strikes me as unfair but as well very premature. CHILL !
You got it wrong. Dook offered the day before late night Moore posted something about it then very quickly deleted it. He then used late nite of all nights to spring it on coach that he wanted to reopen recruitment; after giving a silent verbal it is very bad taste and thats why a lot of people feel like screw him. I am not one of those but it was odd timing to tell our coach that. After watching a banner drop and the NCAA clears us; you say oh btw I want to reopen my recruitment because you know dook offered. Then we find out he could have told coach dook offered Thursday he held onto it until late nite. I am not saying he did but it looks like he did that just to twist the knife. He is 16 so who knows maybe he just didn't know of a good time to bring it up so just threw it out there. I would like to think that's what happened

Last edited:
Lets not play the holier than thou card on offering a kid late in recruitment. Lol. Our roster is full of players who who had been all cozy with other schools for years before roy came along and made their day with an offer. Seems to be the case here. Evidently he grew up a dookie, he gets an offer, he still has like a year to decide. Any recruit would be a flaming moron to not consider an offer from dook. The only thing i would say he “owes” us is to be honest.

What does this Moore mean by "Reopening his recruitment"..? Normally hear that if there is a commitment. So i'm a little confused by that.

Yea i dont know either. My guess is he assumed he had all the offers he was gonna get and had it in his mind who he would visit and so on. Dook offering made him have to re think all that.

The kid gave Roy a silent verbal and changed his mind. You tell Roy that you will commit and you back off because you get an offer from Duke just before your official commitment to UNC? You are either on Roy's side or the brat's side. It's as simple as that.

Roy has told the Moore family that he will openly recruit for other players and will "no longer" hold the spot for Moore. Another thing, Moore is no longer at the top of the list for that spot. Roy does not have to take this scrap off these kids anymore. K offered Leaky also just before Leaky commited to the Heels. There are better options out there anyway. The primary issue here is that the kid backed out of his commitment after telling Roy.

Any possibiity of Moore coming to UNC is dead...nadda. K is more interested in Moore not going to UNC than playing at Duke. The kid does not even fit the traditional Duke profile of a shooting guard. He is not a good shooter. The kid is traitor and I hope he rots on Duke's bench for screwing Roy. :)

Last edited:
Yea i dont know either. My guess is he assumed he had all the offers he was gonna get and had it in his mind who he would visit and so on. Dook offering made him have to re think all that.

That is exactly what my take on this would be!

Honestly, I don't care who you grew up rooting for, if you are a star basketball recruit and UNC, duke, Ky, Kansas offer you no matter what your list was, you will have to regroup it and consider that big time offer. Honestly guys, as much as I love my Heels, if I had a son that loved the Heels all his life was was fortunate enough to be recruited by any of those programs then I would have to have him strongly consider ALL his offers, including those from duke or Ky.

When this kid told Roy, I bet the conversation went like this:

Kid - Coach, duke just offered me
Roy - That is great son, very impressive to get an offer from them
kid - ya know coach, I was close to taking your offer but I do really need to consider this duke offer.
Roy - And you should son, I want you to play for us, I want to be your coach but I want that only if it is exactly what you want as well. You take your time and make sure, OK
Kid - Thanks coach, that means a lot!

The kid gave Roy a silent verbal and changed his mind. You tell Roy that you will commit and you back off because you get an offer from Duke just before your official commitment to UNC? You are either on Roy's side or the brat's side. It's as simple as that.

Roy has told the Moore family that he will openly recruit for other players and will "no longer" hold the spot for Moore. Another thing, Moore is no longer at the top of the list for that spot. Roy does not have to take this scrap off these kids anymore. There are better options out there anyway. The primary issue here is that the kid backed out of his commitment.

Any possibiity of Moore coming to UNC is dead...nadda.

What is the source for this Roy telling the family that information?

Roy has told the Moore family that he will openly recruit for other players and will "no longer" hold the spot for Moore. Another thing, Moore is no longer at the top of the list for that spot. Roy does not have to take this scrap off these kids anymore. There are better options out there anyway. The primary issue here is that the kid backed out of his commitment.

Any possibiity of Moore coming to UNC is dead...nadda.

You're making a lot of very definitive statements here, not dissimilar to what you said about the little situation and we ended up getting him. If you know something for sure that's one thing, but if it's just your opinion that your pawning off as facts that's entirely different.

1. I don't know anything about this "silent verbal", but I do think we were very likely in the lead for him before Dook offered, not to mention he said he was likely going to commit very soon. All of the sudden he gets an offer from his alleged "dream school", and he's now reconsidering all of his options? I think it's fairly obvious what's happening here.

2. Funny, because we were saying the exact same stuff about Brandon Ingram 2 years ago. I can't speak on Wendell, but loyalty means nothing to many recruits nowadays. Unfortunately, Roy will go to the ends of the earth for one guy and miss out on better targets. It's the one thing I've always been frustrated with regarding Roy.

3. The kid crapped on Roy because he was likely set to UNC before his supposed dream school offered. And we know the ol' saying about if it looks and talks like a duck. Especially when it comes to our recruiting. The crystal ball doesn't change instantly. Give it some time. Dook'll be in the lead in a couple days.

4. Sure, it's early, and he should certainly be able to consider all of his options, as any recruit should. The issue is that after we've been on him for 2+ years and were approaching the end of his recruitment, after passing on other arguably better recruits, only to have our only SF target in 2019 to renege on us for one school. A school that's he's been well known to be a fan of in the past.

What is the source for this Roy telling the family that information?

I have two sources and I would recommend you consider both as rumors. I love ya Dave, but just like you have said on this site many times, you don't reveal your sources. I can say this, when you have insiders who don't "dispute" what you are saying that says a lot. I'll leave it had that. Moore will never be in a UNC uniform. He screwed Roy.

Lets not play the holier than thou card on offering a kid late in recruitment. Lol. Our roster is full of players who who had been all cozy with other schools for years before roy came along and made their day with an offer. Seems to be the case here. Evidently he grew up a dookie, he gets an offer, he still has like a year to decide. Any recruit would be a flaming moron to not consider an offer from dook. The only thing i would say he “owes” us is to be honest.

I don't fault Dook or K for making a late offer. Recruiting is a business, and you have to be cutthroat to win.

Once again we prioritized a dook fan over other recruits who actually wanted a UNC offer, and it looks like it's going to bite us yet again. The only upside is that we're not hurting in regards to our recruiting like we have been in the past, and it's likely not too late to get someone else. Perhaps it's not too late to get back in the running for Joey Baker. Especially since he was trending for Dook and we had yet to offer.

And our roster isn't "full" of those players. Only guy that falls under that category would be Garrison Brooks.

You're making a lot of very definitive statements here, not dissimilar to what you said about the little situation and we ended up getting him. If you know something for sure that's one thing, but if it's just your opinion that your pawning off as facts that's entirely different.
You get some right and you miss some. I was the "only" one on this board that predicted Harison Barnes to UNC. Little was headed to Arizona before the FBI probe. The FBI just interviewed him and his family under oath. For their sake, they better had told tthe truth. I have no doubt that they told the truth, but the FBI has ways to trick people. Augustine (the AAU coach) does not want to spend years in jail so you can bet your bottom dollar that he is flipping. I know for a fact that there are many UNC Ram members who don't want Little at UNC and have made their thoughts known. Roy will get the benefit of the doubt here and bottom line I support Roy.

Moore gave Roy a silent verbal...treat it as a rumor. Most so called "insiders" never hear it from Roy's mouth. They are all guessing. Only Roy has the true facts.

Last edited:
I have two sources and I would recommend you consider both as rumors. I love ya Dave, but just like you have said on this site many times, you don't reveal your sources. I can say this, when you have insiders who don't "dispute" what you are saying that says a lot. I'll leave it had that. Moore will never be in a UNC uniform. He screwed Roy.

No problem steat, just wondering if you are hearing from the program side or the kid side of the question, guessing it is more school side. Not saying you are wrong but just doesn't strike me as sounding like Roy. All I am saying is I think folks need to chill out a little bit and let this play out a bit more before they react.

What was it, a lil over a couple weeks ago the word was we are done with Little and he was jilting us for zona before this steering stuff broke and yet now he is committed to UNC. Some pretty darn nasty stuff was said about him by our fans but he is now in our fold, I urged caution then, urge it now as well..

No problem steat, just wondering if you are hearing from the program side or the kid side of the question, guessing it is more school side. Not saying you are wrong but just doesn't strike me as sounding like Roy. All I am saying is I think folks need to chill out a little bit and let this play out a bit more before they react.

What was it, a lil over a couple weeks ago the word was we are done with Little and he was jilting us for zona before this steering stuff broke and yet now he is committed to UNC. Some pretty darn nasty stuff was said about him by our fans but he is now in our fold, I urged caution then, urge it now as well..
Dave, see my post above about Little. I'm convinced that if it was not for the FBI probe Little was headed to Arizona. I know many with UNC ties that have this same opinion.

Reactions: Darkhorse1355
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT