ADVERTISEMENT

What's wrong with the Tar Heel defense?

He consistently fielded top notch defenses. That makes him a defensive guy in my book.

Guess who was on the defensive staff when Miles won that 2007 Championship? Papuchis, Ekeler (under dc Bo Pellini) and Terry Joseph was there the yr prior....

So is football mediocrity our lot in life? I sure hate to think that. In fact, I don't believe that.
2015 was not mediocre. Our schedule wasn't amazing, but our play looked pretty awesome.

I think this D can be decent if Dorn can figure out where to be, and if the young corners somehow figure it out or mature, or get better or are coached better or whatever. We're gonna have trouble running and having a dominant OL this yr given all the injuries and bat-crazy crap.

I hate to talk about next yr already, but if our young interior OL can gel, the O might be decent. And if Strowbridge sheds a pound and is fast enough to move back to SSDE then the front 7 could be really good (Drennon, Powell, Cayson are the only guys graduating from there). Secondary to me seems like it should be easier to 'fix' than front 7. We'll see.

Reactions: shun1
But was that entirely due to coaching or partly to recruiting?
Don't care. Whatever he was doing worked.

And recruiting isn't done it a vacuum it is partly based on coaches, but largely about the program.
Mack Brown did fine without the benefit of a good program. It can be done.

Miles' championship was with Nick Saban recruits.
Ok. Take away the championship then. I'll take multiple ten win seasons and BCS/NY6 bowls all day long compared to what we normally have.

Guess who was on the defensive staff when Miles won that 2007 Championship? Papuchis, Ekeler (under dc Bo Pellini) and Terry Joseph was there the yr prior....
That would seem to strengthen my argument that he is a better defensive coach.

That would seem to strengthen my argument that he is a better defensive coach.

Miles is an offensive guy - was OC and OL and QB coach his whole life. Pellini was the defensive genius at that stage. My aside was just trying to make the point the Pap and Ekeler (and Joseph) have seen champ-level D. But still, without John Chavis, Pellini, etc, who knows how that D might've been.

Give Fed all those recruits, Pellini or Chavis and the record and wins for LSU would've occurred similarly. On game-day Miles was no guru.

But still, without John Chavis, Pellini, etc, who knows how that D might've been.
Well, if we are basing it off of the rest of Miles tenure at LSU it would have still been good. He had great defenses after those guys left. At the very least Miles has a great eye for finding a good DC. Outside of Chizik, Fedora hasn't proven he can do that.

Give Fed all those recruits, Pellini or Chavis and the record and wins for LSU would've occurred similarly.
Disagree.

On game-day Miles was no guru.
But he won. I don't really care if someone is a guru on the sidelines as long as they win. Anyways, I'm done with this conversation. You've got to be the only person on the planet who doesn't think Miles should get credit for LSU's defense and wins.

^chizik had good D at big programs with stacked recruiting, then what happened here? I'm not removing the wins and talented D from Miles or other coaches in the SEC, just saying that recruiting is a HUGE factor.

^chizik had good D at big programs with stacked recruiting, then what happened here?
What happen here was he was able to make the D look and play better than it really was. That should be evident in the play so far this year and the years prior to him arriving.

just saying that recruiting is a HUGE factor.
No one has said otherwise.

miles is an "offense guy" by trade...would love his input in meetings, not necessarily about play-calling, though...can we get petrino for play-calling, lol??? jk

at this point, everyone needs to play if they can offer something...what is the point of saving dudes?...good programs save guys, or it's wake forest where grobe redshirted classes in purpose.

The defense really hasn't been the problem this year. Because it was in the past, too many focus on that. But they've been Ok. The offense has been VERY SLOW to get going. Even though we lost last game, we at least didn't look like slow motion on offense.

A new QB made a dumb decision and likely cost us the game. The prior 2 games the OC cost us the game or whomever calls the plays with their poor play calling.

But on D, we gotta get better at giving up the really big plays which change the momentum. Our secondary has been clueless for some possessions.

But despite all the injuries and coaching mistakes, we can still be a good team, win some games we are not favored in and prepare for next year to just perhaps, maybe, etc,......be a really good team.

Well, if we are basing it off of the rest of Miles tenure at LSU it would have still been good. He had great defenses after those guys left. At the very least Miles has a great eye for finding a good DC. Outside of Chizik, Fedora hasn't proven he can do that.

Disagree.

But he won. I don't really care if someone is a guru on the sidelines as long as they win. Anyways, I'm done with this conversation. You've got to be the only person on the planet who doesn't think Miles should get credit for LSU's defense and wins.
Miles has to be given credit for that run, but he also has to be judged in light of the whole picture of his time there and what that suggests for any other job.

LA per capita produces more NFL players than TX, and LSU is the only major conference school in the state, That makes it easy for any LSU coach to load up on raw talent. The long border with TX doubles that ease.

Could a coach like Miles stock up all that 5 and 4* talent if he were HC at a place like Kansas or Indiana or even UNC? I wouldn't bet a dime that he could.

Miles lost at LSU precisely because the amazingly deep talent he assembled often played inconsistently, even stupidly, at least in short stretches. It wasn't just that Miles screwed the LSU QB position into the biggest joke in the SEC.

Any good UNC coach could and should lock up all the talent in North Carolina. In my opinion that would always produce great defenses. How good would our run defense be with Tuttle and Dexter Lawrence?

Any good UNC coach could and should lock up all the talent in North Carolina. In my opinion that would always produce great defenses. How good would our run defense be with Tuttle and Dexter Lawrence?
That, in a nutshell, is the reason I've come to think that perhaps our best bet would be to hire Brent Venables as HC as long he makes Kevin Wilson (or someone of that ilk) his OC, with total control of the offense.

Players. Talent. Depth. It's all about recruiting. If you can't bring in the horses you are just spinning wheels. Scheme matters little if it can't be executed.

NCAA sanctions say hello

Reactions: shun1
Bottom line,this defense couldn't stop a snail at this point.If we get another win it will amaze me.

Are you saying we would have landed Tuttle and Lawrence if there were no sanctions?
Our chance with those guys, and tons of other high-star guys were much better without the negative recruiting over ncaa-potential probs. The nature of our world is that superstar guys like Zeus, Lawrence, Will Grier are probably going to wind up at SEC, FSU or Clemson, but our shot is much stronger pre-ncaa crap.

That, in a nutshell, is the reason I've come to think that perhaps our best bet would be to hire Brent Venables as HC as long he makes Kevin Wilson (or someone of that ilk) his OC, with total control of the offense.
Sounds like you are assuming Brent Venables is the reason why Dexter Lawrence went to Clemson.

Bottom line,this defense couldn't stop a snail at this point.If we get another win it will amaze me.
First half the offense gave GT the ball plenty of times, but our D forced 3 & outs, forced 3rd & longs, and only gave up 10 points despite zero help from the offense. Front 7 looked good.

First half the offense gave GT the ball plenty of times, but our D forced 3 & outs, forced 3rd & longs, and only gave up 10 points despite zero help from the offense. Front 7 looked good.
Yeah the D looked decent early but once again the TOP was so heavily in the opponent's favor (39-21), that they weren't able to prevent the inevitable in the second half.

Reactions: Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT