ADVERTISEMENT

When to Fire Fedora?

When do you fire Fedora?

• Total voters

GoNtheDistance

Hall of Famer
Oct 3, 2003
I think it’s a question of when, not if, Fedora gets the boot at this point? We will be lucky to win 2 games and I’m being generous and assuming we beat Western and steal a game against another bottom feeder. That being said, I don’t think there’s any value in keeping him around to finish the season. With the lack of talent and us facing an absolutely terrible year, he’s already set us back 2-3 years.

I would be shocked if Bubba fires him before the end of the season. And god forbid we somehow win 4, 5 games because then they’ll keep him rather than pay his buyout.

Reactions: Archer2
I say fire him at the end of the season. Not like anybody on the staff can save this tire fire as the interim coach. Just put out calls to prospective coaches tomorrow and let them know we're hiring

Don't expect a program that's unable to fend off the likes of Arkansas St from poaching coordinators like Walt Bell to make an impactful coaching change anytime soon.

I get it. We're on the same side and everything. But it's a cultural problem. There are about 14,000,000 reasons why we're not going to get what we all want anytime soon. Brace yourselves for what looks like is going to be a long season.

Why? Would it hurt our program?
Hurt the program? There isn't much of a program to hurt.

It's the 2nd game of the season. He's been dealing with suspended players not playing. I don't think it would look very good to any potential coach, or recruit for that matter. It looks pretty desperate and irrational if you do it now.

I'm not pleased with anything Fedora has done since the 2015 regular season ended. I feel sure they will can him at the end of the season. That's sufficient.

If they're going fishing in the same kind of pond that they got Fedora, then it doesn't matter when, or if, they fire him. If any up-and-coming coach comes to UNC and succeeds, then they will go to a more prominent football school. If they can get a proven football coach, that might make a difference.

Coaches don't like it. It could give some of them doubts about coming. Same thing happened when we screwed up how we treated Butch.

The same "faithful" that we fired Butch to appease and lost their shit over the "athletic" scandal are the ones we would need to pony up to help pay about three quarters of Fedora's remaining contract if we fire him.

And I doubt we even make a change at the end of the season if he comes through with 3-4 wins.

Last edited:
The same "faithful" that we fired Butch to appease and lost their shit over the "athletic" scandal are the ones we would need to pony up to help pay about three quarters of Fedora's remaining contract if we fire him.

And I doubt we even make a change at the end of the season if he come through with 3-4 wins.
I think the donors will step up for the right coach. Firing Fed during the season makes it harder to get that coach.

Reactions: strummingram
Season ticket holders aren't the same people as the big donors.

Yes, I know. But that's where we're at right now. Barring a total luck pot move a la Dabo at Clemson, we're going to have a difficult time convincing someone with the wherewithal to right the ship to make a commitment. Then we'd also need the big money types, most of which are content with just fielding a team, to help foot the bill.

I'm not trying to be negative or a pessimist. I just think we should all temper our expectations a little bit as far as some impactful coaching change on the near horizon goes.

Last edited:
Coaches don't like it. It could give some of them doubts about coming. Same thing happened when we screwed up how we treated Butch.
How did u come up with the conclusion. We had a hard time hiring a coach because of the NCAA punishment we knew was coming. Not for firing BD. I just don’t buy that answer. Coaches don’t like it. No coach probably likes it. Who would in any job would like it. If other coaches can’t see u are doing it to so call save ur business. Then that’s just not smart.

Has lost the faith. I can no longer give excuses for this team and these coaches..
It is shocking how poorly disciplined this team is...we all know the drill here and I will not repeat all the mistakes we have grown to EXPECT from the football team/
I believe the time has come for a head coaching change.... maybe not mid season but certainly at the end
My feelings exactly, I just had them about a year earlier. Even Fed’s staunchest supporters have stopped trying to defend him at long last.

I had very high hopes for Fed and his ability to transform our program. I admire his optimism during the interminable NCAA investigation. But it’s time for a change.

I would be shocked if Bubba fires him before the end of the season. And god forbid we somehow win 4, 5 games because then they’ll keep him rather than pay his buyout.
This is my nightmare.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
should have fired him when he had a pass oriented game plan in a hurricane.
That's one of those funny one-liners that tells a deep truth.

That game plan of trying to pass through a monsoon came about, I would guess, because of the balls Fedora was juggling. First, there was Trubisky, The guy had been sitting, and because he is not close to dumb, he knew that he had a potentially very bright NFL future. Many of us - on IC and Carolina Blue and non-UNC specific boards as well as this one - had been discussing for a couple of years what deals had gone on behind the scenes to keep Marquise Williams happy after the dust ups from Marquise Williams telling the press he deserved to be #1 QB - that was when he was a .500 QB with an up and down game.

I always thought that Fedora made promises to Williams (Williams would start and not have to share playing time), which in turn would mean that Fedora would have to make promises to Trubisky (Trubisky would not run much when he finally was allowed to play after Williams).

Any time you do such a thing, you set in motion major headaches for the future. Even as we were winning in 2016, I was saying that the bottom was going to fall out because I could feel some kind of tension filled awful vibe coming off the program. And I was certain it had to do with whatever deal was made to placate Marquise Williams and persuade Trubisky to be a silent benchwarmer until Williams was gone.

The monsoon game was when it all blew up. Unlike 2015, when everything went perfectly (virtually 0 injuries, none of them important) things became to hint at doom over the horizon. If we had had a fully healthy team in 2016, then we'd have run Hood and Logan, behind an OL that was ready to block for RBs carrying the ball as opposed to blocking for a running QB. But Hood was fully healthy in 2016 for only 5 or so games, and Logan had minor issues all year. And the OL seemed stuck in a rut, as if it felt it were still blocking for a run-first QB.

The above I attribute primarily to Kap's failures to be both OC and OL coach with any degree of high quality.

And so in the monsoon against VT, Fedora felt he had to stick to his deal with Trubisky, and pass. Trubisky was not going to run it 20 times, and Fedora, delighted with his running QB Marquise, had failed miserably to prepare a top RB corps. So when Hood was gimpy and the foe had a tough D, we were out of luck as far as running the ball, unless Logan could get going and play 75% of the downs. And Logan getting going usually meant the fear of Hood and the pair alternating, forcing Ds to change what they do while facing a fresh RB.

Fedora created his own fall in setting up his dream season. He created a balloon that eventually would burst.

Now, if Fedora could remake his offense, he might have a chance to save himself. But that he will not do, because his entire claim to fame is as some kind of offensive guru.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimmyinVA
...if Fedora could remake his offense, he might have a chance to save himself. But that he will not do, because his entire claim to fame is as some kind of offensive guru.
this is one of the fundamental reasons for larry's failure at UNC. it's always seemed to me that larry gets bored with the running game even when it's working, and even when our backs have NFL talent. but your explanation makes more sense. running plays do not adequately showcase his genius. maybe it's both.

You fire him now and be done with it...Hell the idiots fired Butch a week before the season...It’s time and get your search going now...

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
You fire him now and be done with it...Hell the idiots fired Butch a week before the season...It’s time and get your search going now...
Well... you may have inadvertently touched-on something important.

The "idiots" are doing the hiring and firing. They are a huge part of the "program." We're just fans and former students.

They fired Butch out of fear, I assume.

Well... you may have inadvertently touched-on something important.

The "idiots" are doing the hiring and firing. They are a huge part of the "program." We're just fans and former students.

They fired Butch out of fear, I assume.

I agree...Truth be told I have lost all faith in UNC ever winning a ACC title in football in my lifetime...

Last night would have been appropriate. Preferably before the bus left for the return trip to Chapel Hill. Would imagine that Bubba isn't exactly looking forward to checking his emails, or voice mails, in the morning. Then he will also get to deal with the direct calls from the big money crowd that he has to answer their call. Ain't going to be a fun day.

The new early signing date should be central to any decision when to fire Fedora. I say fire him now, effective end of season.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT