ADVERTISEMENT

Who's excited about a series

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
with Minnesota?

No recruits to speak of in MN, and the Gophers excite no one. Beat them, and everybody yawns. Lose to them, and everybody who notices laughs at you.

with Minnesota?

No recruits to speak of in MN, and the Gophers excite no one. Beat them, and everybody yawns. Lose to them, and everybody who notices laughs at you.

Woad do yourself a favor...Let it go...I no longer care what happens with UNC Sports....Now do I pull for them hell yea...But the powers to be showed me what they care about when they fired Butch Davis...When they let Mack Brown go...When they didn't hire Mark Richt from FSU...When they hired John Bunting....

End of the day the UNC ADM has showed they could care less about Football...Hell I don't blame Fed...He has talked about it the entire time he has been at UNC...Culture Culture Culture....Fed has done a great job when you consider he has had 1 hand tied behind his back the entire time he has been at UNC...

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
So Fed can recruit in the JUCO and prep schools...Not a chance in hell....
He can as long as they have the grades, but he knew that coming into the job. But how exactly does not letting really bad students in tie his hands? I didn't know you had to have jucos to win football games.

^ So many of the really competitive teams in CFB fill immediate needs with Jucos. If you have an immediate need at safety for example, you can't rely on a frosh. But a juco is a 20 or 21 yr old 'man' who has been filling out, working on skills playing against competition that is much better than HS, much easier to predict how he'll help the team on the field. State, Pitt, Louisville, Mia and bunch others do it.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
Regarding Minnesota, at least it is a power 5 team from a great conference. We need a rock star opponent, 2 cup-cakes and one mid-level opponent per yr. Getting that mid-level opponent to be a p5 from big10 is great imho.

He can as long as they have the grades, but he knew that coming into the job. But how exactly does not letting really bad students in tie his hands? I didn't know you had to have jucos to win football games.
As @blazers discussed above, every elite program (including Alabama) relies on JUCOs to fill holes and even to start when needed. It's a colossal disadvantage that UNC cannot get them.

As @blazers discussed above, every elite program (including Alabama) relies on JUCOs to fill holes and even to start when needed. It's a colossal disadvantage that UNC cannot get them.
We can get them as long as they have the grades. Sorry, but I don't consider academic standards as something that ties the hands of a coach. Especially when he knows it before he's hired. If Fedora can't field a winning team without stupid people, then there isn't a reason for him to be here. Bubba has put more into football than any previous AD. Fedora isn't losing games because he can't get a couple of juco players. That's got to be the worst excuse I've ever heard for his relative lack of sucesss here.

Reactions: heelfan1961
We can get them as long as they have the grades. Sorry, but I don't consider academic standards as something that ties the hands of a coach. Especially when he knows it before he's hired. If Fedora can't field a winning team without stupid people, then there isn't a reason for him to be here. Bubba has put more into football than any previous AD. Fedora isn't losing games because he can't get a couple of juco players. That's got to be the worst excuse I've ever heard for his relative lack of sucesss here.
Yes, we can sign Jucos as long as they have the grades. And there are quality Jucos who have the grades. But you must beat the bushes to identify them and sign them. And most Jucos that good and smart do not want to spend 2 years in a program that may seem happy to be mediocre.

Kinda like with 5* and high 4* HS recruits: they want to play on a winner, preferably to have a shot ata championship of at least the divisional type.

I like UNC having standards, and I do not accept that those standards mean that UNC football must remain an up and down mediocre program.

I like UNC having standards, and I do not accept that those standards mean that UNC football must remain an up and down mediocre program.
Simple math says you're wrong. Unless we copy Stanford and recruit nationally.... which I do not think we have the budget for. And our fanbase would hate it. We love our in-state players.

It doesn't specifically tie Fedora's hands any more than it has tied other UNC coaches' hands (unless you want to make the argument that today's football players are more mercenary than "student"-athlete than they were 10, 20, 30,40 years ago... which is an argument you could definitely make). And no, I don't think an inability to get JUCOs is the reason Fedora isn't winning.

But it's just wrong to say that it doesn't play a factor at all. It plays a humongous factor. Think of our current DL Curse and how we can't keep any enrolled. A few JUCO DTs would have really shored that position group up. Same with LBer. It's a great way to correct your recruiting misses or your recruiting washouts, but it's not an option UNC has, by and large.

Hell, if we landed a top 15 recruiting class every year, I wouldn't care if none of them were from our state. We just really seem to be in the doldrums right now. And another very mediocre season seems about the best we can expect next year.

Name me a school with a similar academic model coming off of an academic scandal that has won anything of note.

Reactions: DSouthr
Hell, if we landed a top 15 recruiting class every year, I wouldn't care if none of them were from our state. We just really seem to be in the doldrums right now. And another very mediocre season seems about the best we can expect next year.

I'm in this camp. If there are actually people out there who would rather be .500 (or worse) with a bunch of scrubs from Podunk, NC instead of competing for an ACC championship with a roster that is primarily sourced with national talent, then there's no question why the "culture" is in the shitter.

Reactions: Archer2
penn st not coming off an academic scandal but coming off a major scandal has done pretty well but they have a much more storied history

penn st not coming off an academic scandal but coming off a major scandal has done pretty well but they have a much more storied history
They bounced back. They were ranked top-18 nationally like 5 yrs in a row, then had 4 shitty yrs:
8 total wins 2012, then three straight of 7-6

Now back to national prominence in 2016 & 2017. We obviously quickly trebounded moret than they did since we had our best season this century with 11 wins in 2015, but whether that success will endure is a question to be answered this season.

That's true tarheel. And once we start viewing 4 years of 8-5/7-6/7-6/7-6 as being shitty - then maybe we can start moving forward.

Face it
1) Larry isn't the "guy"
2) we're playing the wrong style of football based on the players available to us

Carolina was at a disadvantage when Bubba brought in a coach that knew Big 12 style football when not many high schools in our area played that style.
Crum had the same problem when he tried to run a split back offense his first year....Dooley ran out of the "I",and all of the high schools in our recruiting area ran the "I" too. When Crum started to run the "I" we landed in the Gator Bowl and beat Michigan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT