ADVERTISEMENT

Will we beat UGA?

Will Carolina beat UGA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wow, so much in this thread that is just, well, curious....but back to the original, IMO, no, UGa will not beat UNC in football in 2016. Was at the beach over July 4th week and a UGa guy was in line at the grocery store talking with another fellow, how great they are, Chubb blah, blah, they are going to take UNC apart...beg to differ, we win.

Wow, so much in this thread that is just, well, curious....but back to the original, IMO, no, UGa will not beat UNC in football in 2016. Was at the beach over July 4th week and a UGa guy was in line at the grocery store talking with another fellow, how great they are, Chubb blah, blah, they are going to take UNC apart...beg to differ, we win.

Agree. You never know until the game is over but I expect us to win and win big. Of course, that means Mitch plays as well as we expect, and we don't turn the ball over.

There are a lot of question marks on defense but believe we'll be better and will have practiced and developed a few new tricks so to speak. Hopefully our secondary is as good as last season. They were awesome. I say hopefully because success can breed complacency sometimes.

At DT, we ought to be much more solid. DE? Not so sure. Mickey Bart can look great at times but then got run over against elite talent. But it's his senior year. Strowbridge was a highly rated recruit. More concerned on the weak-side as we have Drennon backed up by Carney who weighs in at 230 lbs. Kind of light for a D-lineman.

Of course, the LB corps is relatively untested but am believing we're going to have guys that step up.

Hope you are right randman. Offense will not be an issue, besides Marquisse we lost one lineman to graduation, IIRC. On defense the line is going to have to show up early and prove they can play, secondary should be pretty good, we have some kids to play at LB's hope Chiz has 'em all ready.

All of Tar Heel Nation, including the athletic department and the Rams Club, is going to be very embarrassed when they see just how badly our fans will be outnumbered at this game. I kid you not, it will be 80-20 UGA fans if not more.

All of Tar Heel Nation, including the athletic department and the Rams Club, is going to be very embarrassed when they see just how badly our fans will be outnumbered at this game. I kid you not, it will be 80-20 UGA fans if not more.
I don't think there is any reason to be embarrassed. It's basically a home game for them because of the location. It would be nice to have more fans there, but outside of SEC teams you don't normally see a huge amount of fans for the visiting team.

I don't think there is any reason to be embarrassed. It's basically a home game for them because of the location. It would be nice to have more fans there, but outside of SEC teams you don't normally see a huge amount of fans for the visiting team.

Well that's true, but even if we were playing in Charlotte they would have us significantly outnumbered.

Exactly. Location has nothing to do with it. The numbers would be identical if the game was in Charlotte.
You need to be very , very worried when you start agreeing with UNCboy. I think it would be close to 60/40 UNC in Charlotte. Charlotte is a UNC town.

Reactions: Archer2
Hope you are right randman. Offense will not be an issue, besides Marquisse we lost one lineman to graduation, IIRC. On defense the line is going to have to show up early and prove they can play, secondary should be pretty good, we have some kids to play at LB's hope Chiz has 'em all ready.

Hope so too. Won't know until the game and season gets underway but there's good reason to be very positive about the chances of this year's team. Biggest thing is whether they maintain the same chemistry and spirit they had last year. That put the team over the top more than anything.

If you left enough tickets up for sale for a game in Kenan they might even be able to outnumber us there. They're just on a different level. Its not like one great season changed the fact that Carolina fans in general couldn't give a rat's ass about football, much less be bothered to show up and make noise.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
You need to be very , very worried when you start agreeing with UNCboy. I think it would be close to 60/40 UNC in Charlotte. Charlotte is a UNC town.
Actually boy and I usually are on the same page with football stuff.

And no, you're wrong on the 60-40 UNC in Charlotte. It would still be 2/3rds UGA fans. For one, a decent chunk of UGA fans live in Charlotte, and also, Charlotte is only 4 hours from Atlanta and Athens.

Doesn't matter where the game is, it doesn't change our awful fan support of football

Switch us out with Louisville, Clemson, VT, FSU, or Moo, and it would be much closer to 50-50 than it's going to be with us.

Louisville, Clemson, VT, FSU

FSU and Clemson without a doubt, but those are football powerhouses. Lets look at it in a different way. Would you expect a 50/50 spilt if Clemson/FSU basketball was playing UK basketball in Kentucky? No way that's happening. These are schools that have had good programs for a good part of the 21st century. Up until last year we pretty much sucked for most of the past 20 years. It's all about winning. I'm old enough to remember the last couple of years Mack was here. They were bringing in temporary seats because there was such high demand and that place was rocking every game. I've said it before on another thread, if this year turns into a 9+ win season with one of the wins being UGA/FSU then that place will be back to the level that it was under Mack next year. If you win it they will come.

I'm going to strongly disagree with you on that one. They don't even fill up their own stadium. There is no way they are driving down to Atlanta to see a game.

we were 1 win away from a possible playoff appearance. We need to show it wasn't a fluke and i think we will. Not saying necessarily we'll go to the ACCG with 1 or 0 losses but we can definitely pull another 10 W season (including all games) which will go a long way towards convincing your average fan to support the team on gameday. fwiw i'll be in the georgia dome in the middle of the UGA fans.

we were 1 win away from a possible playoff appearance. We need to show it wasn't a fluke and i think we will. Not saying necessarily we'll go to the ACCG with 1 or 0 losses but we can definitely pull another 10 W season (including all games) which will go a long way towards convincing your average fan to support the team on gameday. fwiw i'll be in the georgia dome in the middle of the UGA fans.
I'll be there too.

Maybe if we win 10 games this season, we can hope for an average of 45,000 at home games instead of 40,000!!!

The fan base participation needs to pick up. I don't live near NC and so might not can do more than show up for a game. Hopefully, the students, alumni and fans will take note of our success.

The fan base participation needs to pick up. I don't live near NC and so might not can do more than show up for a game. Hopefully, the students, alumni and fans will take note of our success.
Here's my thing I've always said, with respect to the people who live far away:

Regardless of if you live 10 minutes away or 10 states away from Chapel Hill, if every UNC fan would just pick ONE home football game (or one neutral-site game) to attend per season, we could sell Kenan out 6 times over every Saturday. That's all I ask of anyone because I know our fanbase lives coast to coast. If everyone could just pick one game to attend each year, we'd permanently be sold out.

UNC Football has a small core of rabid fans who are at every single home game (myself included despite being 6.5 hours from Chapel Hill), but they can't do it alone. If everyone could just attend one game a season, we'd be sold out every game. Think about that! It makes it even more frustrating. Our fans just don't attend well, and that includes basketball.

Reactions: randman1

I think they should be embarrassed as to how they marketed the tickets to the UNC fans. It seems to me that the UGA fans had better access to their ticket allotment (which was their allotment higher to begin with)? That would explain some of the ticket disparity.

Ok - so we've been over this before and it seems to be that it was just my own dumbass that didn't figure out how to get tickets in time (because I did really want to go and would have gladly bought 2 tickets at face value - and flown there just to go to the game). But while everyone is piling on the fans for lackluster attendance, I figured I'd throw another jab at the administration for the ticket distribution.

Regardless of if you live 10 minutes away or 10 states away from Chapel Hill, if every UNC fan would just pick ONE home football game (or one neutral-site game) to attend per season, we could sell Kenan out 6 times over every Saturday. That's all I ask of anyone because I know our fanbase lives coast to coast. If everyone could just pick one game to attend each year, we'd permanently be sold out.

UNC Football has a small core of rabid fans who are at every single home game (myself included despite being 6.5 hours from Chapel Hill), but they can't do it alone. If everyone could just attend one game a season, we'd be sold out every game. Think about that! It makes it even more frustrating. Our fans just don't attend well, and that includes basketball.

Agreed. I go to a game every year. Making a flight down for specifically that reason. I was at the Miami game last year. This year, I'm probably going to be at the Miami game again (in miami this time) and I'd assume I make it to a home game (maybe GT?).

That’s easier said than done. Some people just don’t have the money to do something like that. If I had the money to do that I would, but financially it doesn’t make sense for me.

It looks like they are trying to find ways to increase attendance (besides the most important thing, winning). This is the type of stuff that could get more local people to come out.

That’s easier said than done. Some people just don’t have the money to do something like that. If I had the money to do that I would, but financially it doesn’t make sense for me.

It looks like they are trying to find ways to increase attendance (besides the most important thing, winning). This is the type of stuff that could get more local people to come out.
1). A lot of people can afford it and just don't go.
2). That is such a pathetic ticket package for UNC to have to offer LOL, pathetic as in no major division 1 college football program should have to sell tickets for $15 per game, but UNC knows they won't sell tickets otherwise.

Including fees, tickets are as low as $240/per on the UNC side now for the UGA game. I realize that's not "low" but they have come down some. They're still nowhere near as low as the primary market was. Tickets in my section are currently $263/per and I paid like $160 per.

1). A lot of people can afford it and just don't go.
You did say every UNC fan in your previous post, so I'm assuming you think I should go to the game instead of paying my rent. I can't believe you are such a heartless bastard that you would want my children to live on the street. ;)
2). That is such a pathetic ticket package for UNC to have to offer LOL, pathetic as in no major division 1 college football program should have to sell tickets for $15 per game, but UNC knows they won't sell tickets otherwise.
Maybe, but at least they are trying something. A lot of people keep whining about how they never try anything, so at least they are trying something.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Or the amount of sun shining on them in whatever seat they were given for free.
Exactly. To explain this in children's book form:

40233.jpg

I've found myself coming back to the meaning of this seemingly "silly" children's book repeatedly as I go through life. It holds true for a lot of people.

FSU and Clemson without a doubt, but those are football powerhouses. Lets look at it in a different way. Would you expect a 50/50 spilt if Clemson/FSU basketball was playing UK basketball in Kentucky? No way that's happening. These are schools that have had good programs for a good part of the 21st century. Up until last year we pretty much sucked for most of the past 20 years. It's all about winning. I'm old enough to remember the last couple of years Mack was here. They were bringing in temporary seats because there was such high demand and that place was rocking every game. I've said it before on another thread, if this year turns into a 9+ win season with one of the wins being UGA/FSU then that place will be back to the level that it was under Mack next year. If you win it they will come.
Exactly. One good season doesn't a fanbase build. If we start stringing together 9-10 win seasons, enthusiasm and attendance will blossom. With a few exceptions, we have been mediocre in football for decades. Success on the field leads to butts in the bleachers.

Reactions: tarheel0910

Provided they can, great idea. Hopefully more will start coming and hopefully I will be one of them. Last year was very excited about the team but absolutely could not travel(health concerns) barely made it to my daughter's wedding when she decided to have it in NC.

But the truth had lost a lot of interest in football in general awhile back whether college or pro. It wasn't just seeing the Heels win that reignited my interest. It was the way they carried themselves and executed, their team chemistry and attitude. To my mind, last year UNC football exemplified what football should be all about.

Better tailgating would do wonders. I don't think ticket cost is even the issue. Kenan just isn't regarded as "the place to be" on a Saturday during the fall the way it is in Athens or Clemson. I know Clemson students who end up buying 50-60 dollar tickets the day of the game just because they're so pumped after tailgating all day they want to actually be in the stadium.

Next year at RB, looks like Lemons has recommitted. Logan graduates. Hood will likely be drafted, and so we have Brown on the roster, who has a lot of potential and one freshman RB commit. Probably will have another.

But wouldn't be surprised to see Anthony work out and perhaps see the field at RB as well. He has very good size, tremendously athletic, great speed, ran the ball a lot as a dual-threat QB, and just kind of wonder if he might play both back-up RB and starting receiver in 2017/18, or at least practice at RB as well just in case he's needed.

Next year at RB, looks like Lemons has recommitted. Logan graduates. Hood will likely be drafted, and so we have Brown on the roster, who has a lot of potential and one freshman RB commit. Probably will have another.

But wouldn't be surprised to see Anthony work out and perhaps see the field at RB as well. He has very good size, tremendously athletic, great speed, ran the ball a lot as a dual-threat QB, and just kind of wonder if he might play both back-up RB and starting receiver in 2017/18, or at least practice at RB as well just in case he's needed.
Ethan Horton was a tall RB. It can be done, with 1000 yards.

Ethan Horton was a tall RB. It can be done, with 1000 yards.

It'd be interesting to see a star receiver if he pans out like so many think line up some at RB>
What will the defense think?

A flea flicker since he was a QB, a pass out to the flat or some other route, or maybe he runs the ball. I think if we only have 2 RBs, though I bet we land someone good for a 3rd, that he'd be a great option and have a lot of fun doing it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT