ADVERTISEMENT

Yet another fatal case of police brutality

God, you're an idiot. I was saying that if I was being followed around because someone else thougfht I was a criminal, I wouldn't care. because I know I'm not a criminal. who gives a shit what other people think. If they want to follow me around the store, so be it. I'd probably even have some fun with it.

Please, if you can't keep up with what's going on here, you should probably find a junior message board to poast on. This one here is for grown folks.

It's hard to believe you do community work! I gave examples that I thought maybe you could understand but apparently my gut was right, you would automatically disagree and find fault with it or simply ignore it. Later dude... you're a waste of time.

The changes in the education system we were speaking of included having equal funding and resources in every school district. I'm not sure what you're talking about in terms of black students taking over white students places in gifted classes. Equality means equal resources in public education that was the point. This fear that is threaded through your comments is clouding the issues we are talking about. Try not to think of this as one versus the other but instead providing the same opportunity for everyone. I will post some books and articles for you to read that may help clarify these issues. These will be scholarly articles based on research so bias is not an issue. Non-profits are organizations that serve the community in various ways. Examples would be meals-on-wheels who serve meals to the poor elderly in the community who may not be able to cook or grocery shop for themselves. Big brothers big sisters is another non-profit that provides mentors for kids in disadvantaged communities to help them have positive role models. These are great organizations but they are often underfunded and understaffed. Getting involved in your community would be an easy but also hugely impactful way to change things at a local level.

I think conversation on topics that people don't necessarily agree on is good. Hearing different view points is important and I appreciate everyone who took it seriously and didn't become personally insulting. I will post some research articles and books that you might find interesting.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Non-profits are organizations that serve the community in various ways. Examples would be meals-on-wheels who serve meals to the poor elderly in the community who may not be able to cook or grocery shop for themselves. Big brothers big sisters is another non-profit that provides mentors for kids in disadvantaged communities to help them have positive role models. These are great organizations but they are often underfunded and understaffed. Getting involved in your community would be an easy but also hugely impactful way to change things at a local level.
b8c237b455fc277046fa315f41099c42a3a9c164930d65ac33c0bb477d146a54.jpg

It's hard to believe you do community work! I gave examples that I thought maybe you could understand but apparently my gut was right, you would automatically disagree and find fault with it or simply ignore it. Later dude... you're a waste of time.

Please, and I beg you, ...continue to look at me in this way. If it means that you will stop directing your barely legible, moronic poasts towards me, I will be as big of a waste of time as you need me to be. Yes, I'm a huge waste of time. The biggest waste of time in the history of wastes of time.

Reactions: UNC '92
The changes in the education system we were speaking of included having equal funding and resources in every school district. I'm not sure what you're talking about in terms of black students taking over white students places in gifted classes. Equality means equal resources in public education that was the point. This fear that is threaded through your comments is clouding the issues we are talking about. Try not to think of this as one versus the other but instead providing the same opportunity for everyone. I will post some books and articles for you to read that may help clarify these issues. These will be scholarly articles based on research so bias is not an issue. Non-profits are organizations that serve the community in various ways. Examples would be meals-on-wheels who serve meals to the poor elderly in the community who may not be able to cook or grocery shop for themselves. Big brothers big sisters is another non-profit that provides mentors for kids in disadvantaged communities to help them have positive role models. These are great organizations but they are often underfunded and understaffed. Getting involved in your community would be an easy but also hugely impactful way to change things at a local level.
I promise I'm not trying to be obtuse but I really, really don't see your point. You're presenting very hippieish "bring peace for all into your heart" type ideas and I just do not see how me "understanding black people better" is going to stop black people from continuing to commit murders. Nor do I understand how white America's alleged lack of understanding of black people contributes to black people, by their own choice, turning to violence and lives of crime.

Education funded should be improved. I agree with you on that 100%. Other than that, I'm not really buying into the notion that decades of systemic racism is still holding blacks back in 2016.

Reactions: UNC '92 and Archer2
If every time you went in a store and you were followed because they thought you "might" be a criminal, maybe then you would understand it.
Another thing that happens very rarely. That is not the norm. I've never been followed around a store, so I admit I can't understand what it's like but there are plenty of things that other people don't understand about me because it can't happen to them. I can only assume that you are putting race above all other disadvantages. That's the only thing that makes sense to me. Nothing wrong with that though.

It is obvious to most people who don't go around with their head up their ass all the time.
They aren't capable of understanding it and really they don't want to anyway.
we don't need any further information or questions from you. Thanks.... NEXT.
I like your very well thought out points here. They have clearly contributed to the conversation and will help reduce inequality.

I don't think there's one policy or one change that will make everything better which is what you all are asking for.
I think what they are asking for is an example of one that will help, not solve the issue completely.

This is how people start non-profits or advocate for local changes in their own communities.
I agree and I commend @gunslingerdick for working at a non profit and doing that kind of work.

One thing that may help you is to ask the question why is there more crime in black communities? You seem to be implying that black people are more violent which would highlight a stereotype of black people which would lead us back to the idea that knowing black people on a more personal level may help to change some of this stereotypical thinking. Research has shown that poorer communities tend to have higher violent crime rates as economic stress, hunger not having basic needs met leads to frustration and anger and often violence. Because of the history of racism and segration black people are disproportionately more likely to be economically disadvantaged hence greater crime rates in the black community. You see you can't take statistics and isolate them you need the context. Hope this context helped you.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11

I've spent the past 10 years of my life as the Executive Director of a NPO that serves underprivileged children and families. I'm pretty well informed. 84% of the families we serve are black. So I think it's safe to say that I have my finger on the pulse of the black community. I'd be willing to bet I've spent more time in the black community, interacting with black folks than pretty much anyone poasting on this board. Before I took my job here, I worked in the black communities of Charleston, SC. And before that, I worked in the black communities of Greensboro, NC. I've been around. My opinions are not formed by reading something in a book or by having CNN tell me what I need to think. I'm on the front line. So, please, and I know you're new here and you didn't know what I did for a living, but please don't act like I'm out of touch. I'm very aware of the problems that exist and I'm very aware of the problems that are created by the folks in those communities. I've seen more single parent homes than you could imagine - homes where black fathers have run out on their families. I've seen more cases of abuse and neglect in these communities than you would want to hear about. I've seen more families that are allowing their children to participate in gang related activities. I've seen homes where no premium is put on school work and parents who slough off their parental duties onto someone else. I've also seen where my appeal to black churches for support has fallen on deaf ears. I've seen that my organization is funded primarily from blue collar white folks. I've also seen that while 84% of the families we serve are black, roughly 90% of the volunteers we have are white. I've watched black city leaders call more black people to action and then when approached to become a volunteer with my organization or to financially support my organization, they've proven to be all talk. But what I haven't seen is how any of that is the fault of the white man.

#Real talk.

Good god I can't believe I let these moronic comments drag me back into reading this thread.

I'm now dumber than I was 10 minutes ago. But rather than being responsible for my own stupidity - I'll blame it on someone else and expect someone else to make the effort to make me smarter again.

I've spent the past 10 years of my life as the Executive Director of a NPO that serves underprivileged children and families. I'm pretty well informed. 84% of the families we serve are black. So I think it's safe to say that I have my finger on the pulse of the black community. I'd be willing to bet I've spent more time in the black community, interacting with black folks than pretty much anyone poasting on this board. Before I took my job here, I worked in the black communities of Charleston, SC. And before that, I worked in the black communities of Greensboro, NC. I've been around. My opinions are not formed by reading something in a book or by having CNN tell me what I need to think. I'm on the front line. So, please, and I know you're new here and you didn't know what I did for a living, but please don't act like I'm out of touch. I'm very aware of the problems that exist and I'm very aware of the problems that are created by the folks in those communities. I've seen more single parent homes than you could imagine - homes where black fathers have run out on their families. I've seen more cases of abuse and neglect in these communities than you would want to hear about. I've seen more families that are allowing their children to participate in gang related activities. I've seen homes where no premium is put on school work and parents who slough off their parental duties onto someone else. I've also seen where my appeal to black churches for support has fallen on deaf ears. I've seen that my organization is funded primarily from blue collar white folks. I've also seen that while 84% of the families we serve are black, roughly 90% of the volunteers we have are white. I've watched black city leaders call more black people to action and then when approached to become a volunteer with my organization or to financially support my organization, they've proven to be all talk. But what I haven't seen is how any of that is the fault of the white man.

#Real talk.

Well I appreciate everything you have done. This is slick and I don't know about spending more time in the black community than myself. I kind of grew up in it. We have to get away from the name calling on this board as well. It's not called for. I also appreciate my wife for being a counselor for our Veterans as well, really good one at that. I myself am a veteran of the country. Everyone does a good job.

It seems some of these guys have never heard of Affirmative Action. Our government is bending over backwards to redress past wrongs to minorities and has been since 1961 when Kennedy issued Executive Order 10925. Minorities now receive preferential treatment is employment, college scholarships, etc... To hear some of you, you would think nothing has been done to level the playing field and that we were still lynching blacks because of the color of their skin. And that blacks bear no responsibility for by and large failing to avail themselves of this affirmative action and continuing to make poor decisions that adversely affect their lives.

I think MLK would be ashamed and disappointed in his people today.

Affirmative Action has to be the most inherently racist thing that's been around in my lifetime.

It's literally giving preferential treatment to someone based on their race. Does it get any more racist than that?
How dare you, sir. Your comment clearly illustrates your lack of understanding of historical and systemic racism.

(But seriously, don't forget about the Rooney Rule too. It's equally as racist).

Still waiting for an example of something a black person literally can't do/become/accomplish in 2016. I'm genuinely curious.

"A lot of black people live in lower-income areas" is not an answer, nor is it an insurmountable barrier: K-12 costs $0.00 -- sure it might not be a great school, but it's still an education. If the person applies himself, and gets good enough grades to get into college, he will receive a lot of financial help from both the university and things like FAFSA because of his family's income level and because of his skin color (the merits of this part can be debated). If the person continues to apply himself in said college, he can get a degree. If the person continues to apply himself after earning a degree, he can get a job. So on and so forth.

So I ask the same question again.

How dare you, sir. Your comment clearly illustrates your lack of understanding of historical and systemic racism.

(But seriously, don't forget about the Rooney Rule too. It's equally as racist).

I guess I just never understood the logic of "Let's correct for past racism by enacting more racist policies to give advantages and disadvantages to people who never had anything to do with the original racism".

And ya, the Rooney Rule is a joke. I read an article recently somewhere that talked about what a failure it was. I believe it said there are less minority coaches in the league now than when it was instituted (20 years ago or so I think).

Here's a question I'll throw into the mix. First, consult this graphic:

figure-1.jpg

So here's my question: Why does all this "racism talk" only ever involve the alleged poor treatment (and systemic disenfranchisement and downtrodden-ment and so on) of a race that isn't even the biggest minority segment in this country?

Hell, Hispanics are the MAJORITY in three states, and still I never hear boo about poor treatment of that race. You only hear about 'racism' against Hispanics is when it revolves around the treatment of illegals.

Still waiting for an example of something a black person literally can't do/become/accomplish in 2016. I'm genuinely curious.

"A lot of black people live in lower-income areas" is not an answer, nor is it an insurmountable barrier: K-12 costs $0.00 -- sure it might not be a great school, but it's still an education. If the person applies himself, and gets good enough grades to get into college, he will receive a lot of financial help from both the university and things like FAFSA because of his family's income level and because of his skin color (the merits of this part can be debated). If the person continues to apply himself in said college, he can get a degree. If the person continues to apply himself after earning a degree, he can get a job. So on and so forth.

So I ask the same question again.

Guys, again, NO ONE has denied that opportunities are not available to anyone no matter if you're green in this country. I know I certainly have not said that anyone is not allowed to do something IF they apply themselves and do what is necessary to achieve their goals. Some CHOOSE not to try and do better, I get that. THAT IS NOT THE PROBLEM!!!! (not yelling, just making sure you see this!)

I think a lot of the racism issues have to do with, for lack of a better way to put it, HOW others "look" at them or "see" them and treat them. I already KNOW, Dick, that you do not care what anyone thinks but you obviously have not lived under that microscope before. I gave examples earlier of a non-racial discrimination, hoping you'd see the point, but obviously it went over your heads or you simply do not CHOOSE to see how it is somewhat similar.

I do believe if each one you were to be made up to be a black man (like they have done in movies or social experiments even) and were to live as a black person for one week, you would be singing a different tune!

figure-1.jpg

So here's my question: Why does all this "racism talk" only ever involve the alleged poor treatment (and systemic disenfranchisement and downtrodden-ment and so on) of a race that isn't even the biggest minority segment in this country?

Hell, Hispanics are the MAJORITY in three states, and still I never hear boo about poor treatment of that race. You only hear about 'racism' against Hispanics is when it revolves around the treatment of illegals.

Let's try it this way, maybe you will understand this example, something you may be able to associate with..... Have you ever been in a group of people and were friendly and there would be plenty of friendly people around you too, yet maybe you walked up to talk to some female you found attractive but she just looked at you like you were scum of the earth, snarled her nose up and ignored you or "dissed" you somehow... you did not deserve that, you're human after all and you were being kind but she took one look at you and already decided you looked too much like a pedophile old dude and did not want you near her.... now this is not exactly like racism but it is being unfairly treated based on how you look or whatever this woman found undesirable about you. IF you were treated like that by every female you saw ALL the time, eventually you would see what we are trying to tell you dumb butts!

I don't know why I even care to attempt to enlighten you goof balls! seriously

So how do you fix it?

me personally, I say we ship all the people like Gunslingerdick to another continent and then we might have a chance! LOL

Seriously though, I am not sure it CAN be fixed because that would require EVERYONE seeing with new eyes essentially. I guess the best we can hope for is for people to all from this day forward raise their children to treat everyone equally like human beings, human beings that make good choices, bad choices and aren't always kind to others, but nonetheless, we have to see each other as we truly are... ONE. We really are all the same. Maybe that would be a good start.
90006aae1267428842c7d989142d686a.jpg

Reactions: slick28376
Ok, I'll say this one last time and then I'll stop. All of the examples you gave are not even remotely close to being common. Just stop with that nonsense.

FIFY

Well I'll post the videos again. THOSE are common, THOSE are the reasons... it has nothing to do with people not getting opportunities like everyone else.

Well, judging by the video I would say it's highly likely that the black guy caught a stray bullet. Police don't usually shoot people in the leg on purpose. I don't see any intent to harm him. Here's an idea, why don't we wait to get the whole story before we pass judgment.

For like the tenth time, let me repeat myself:

Some.
Cops.
Suck.
At.
Their.
Job.

I've said this over and over and over and over and over again. I don't know how many times you want me to say it. I've also said repeatedly that I despise cops and think that way too many of them are power-hungry loose cannons who couldn't think their way out of a tiny room with four walls and a door.

But if you can't see how that article falls right in line with deliberate race-baiting, then I can't help you. They go out of their way to tell you the guy who got shot it black. They go out of their way to tell you that they inquired for the race of the cop who shot but that info wasn't released.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Well, judging by the video I would say it's highly likely that the black guy caught a stray bullet. Police don't usually shoot people in the leg on purpose. I don't see any intent to harm him. Here's an idea, why don't we wait to get the whole story before we pass judgment.

yes, we should wait but a stray bullet???? there was no reason to have a damn gun drawn, it was obvious that young man was harmless and just confused and the man is TELLING them the situation.... no excuse for anything to be fired in this one. It is pretty clear.

yes, we should wait but a stray bullet???? there was no reason to have a damn gun drawn, it was obvious that young man was harmless and just confused and the man is TELLING them the situation.... no excuse for anything to be fired in this one. It is pretty clear.
AND THE MOTIVATION FOR THE COP PULLING THE TRIGGER PROBABLY WASN'T RACE-RELATED FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. IT COULD BE SHEER INEPTITUDE, SOMETHING I KEEP TRYING TO TELL YOU THAT LOTS OF COPS HAVE.

I mean seriously dude, if a cop is racist, Miami is the WRONG city for him to be in. Miami isn't even an American city. It's a Latin American city.

Let's try it this way, maybe you will understand this example, something you may be able to associate with..... Have you ever been in a group of people and were friendly and there would be plenty of friendly people around you too, yet maybe you walked up to talk to some female you found attractive but she just looked at you like you were scum of the earth, snarled her nose up and ignored you or "dissed" you somehow... you did not deserve that, you're human after all and you were being kind but she took one look at you and already decided you looked too much like a pedophile old dude and did not want you near her.... now this is not exactly like racism but it is being unfairly treated based on how you look or whatever this woman found undesirable about you. IF you were treated like that by every female you saw ALL the time, eventually you would see what we are trying to tell you dumb butts!

I don't know why I even care to attempt to enlighten you goof balls! seriously

If you think this happens on a regular basis, I can only say you're projecting your own feelings. This isn't 1850, it's 2016.

Uhhhhhhhhhh..........welcome to every Friday night in the life of a single male? Lol.

Oh nooooo, a girl turned me down because I wasn't attractive enough :((((((((( booohooooo!!! That ain't racism; that's a scoreboard check. The guy in the example obviously was reaching for someone out of his league and needs to drop back down to the minors when scouting for talent.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Uhhhhhhhhhh..........welcome to every Friday night in the life of a single male? Lol.

Oh nooooo, a girl turned me down because I wasn't attractive enough :((((((((( booohooooo!!! That ain't racism; that's a scoreboard check. The guy in the example obviously was reaching for someone out of his league and needs to drop back down to the minors when scouting for talent.

Okay forget my poor examples. The videos ARE good examples of the problem though.

figure-1.jpg

Based on the demographics, it would have been impossible for Obama to be elected if our country were inherently racist. Completely impossible! Does racism still exist? Of course it does, and all over the world. But to accuse police of targeting blacks is disingenuous at best, and asinine at worst.

Reactions: tarheel0910
but a stray bullet????
Well, his leg is right next to the guy that they were probably aiming at. Bullets are pretty powerful. They can bounce off the ground and even go through one person and into another. Like I said, cops don't usually aim for the legs. How many of the black people that were killed in the last couple of weeks were shot in the leg?

it was obvious that young man was harmless and just confused
They got a call saying that a guy was going to shoot himself. Just because someone looks confused doesn't mean they are harmless.

the man is TELLING them the situation
So they should just automatically believe him instead of the other person? They were told he had a gun by someone else. If they handle the situation the exact same way and a gun is found in his pocket this becomes just a routine shooting that no one cares about. Hindsight is always 20/20 .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT