ADVERTISEMENT

Z, you comin?

Probably a layered decision for a lot of Duke's recent 1-and-done recruits.

In terms of results, there's no debate that UNC has been a better program than Duke in this decade (7 seasons).

Duke: 2 first round exits, 1 second round exit, 4 sweet 16's, 2 elite 8's, 1 final four, 1 title.

UNC: 0 first round exits, 2 second round exits, 5 sweet 16's, 4 elite 8's, 2 final fours, 1 title.

Duke: 0 ACC regular season championships this decade

UNC: 4 ACC regular season championships this decade

Aside from conference tournament success, by almost every objective measure, we've been substantially the better program this decade. However, that isn't the narrative because Duke is Duke. Yes, we ran into some NCAA "stuff" and that probably didn't help, but in the end I think it's more to do with the Duke narrative than our "stuff."

But when it comes to recruiting, it's really simple. Coach K has a lot more NBA equity right now. Kyrie may have only played 15 minutes or so at Duke, but I'm sure Duke still claims his as a Duke-to-NBA guy. Kyrie might win the MVP this season. Jabari Parker might get a max contract despite a couple ACL tears. Brandon Ingram might become an all star with a glamor NBA team. Jayson Tatum looks like he can become a superstar.

What current NBA equity does Roy have right now? Danny Green got a 40 million dollar contract?

Duke will win in recruiting until Roy gets a one-and-done type player that becomes a superstar at the next level. Plain and simple. This isn't about college basketball... This is about what a 17 year old sees himself being in 2 years and which coach is most likely to get him there. #1 Cal, #2 K.... The rest.

Oh, and I'm sure Zion has aspirations in being part of USA basketball as a professional. Doesn't hurt that the face of USA basketball is Coach K and will be Coach K even after he steps down from it.

Simple equation.... We need more NBA equity if we want to win these types of recruits over more consistently.

Apparently he referred to dook as a "brotherhood" yeah THAT is laughable as vader keeps getting these kids that stay for 2 semesters, rarely if ever come back, never get their degrees and has a program that leads the nation in transfers, along with being the biggest collection of d bags in sports

Id agree if he went anywhere other than dook. Idk how anyone can call this a "win". they just got the top 3 players in the class.

And I'd be more concerned if we didn't have our best recruiting classes in years coming in. Obviously this is far from optimal, but it's beyond our control. No use in getting bent out of shape.

I'm also just glad to see that idiot gone.

K is beating Cal at his own game. Hell he’s beating everyone- Self, Roy, Izzo, Miller. This is ridiculous and it sucks ass.

He's pretty much stolen the OAD crown. Never thought I'd see the day tbh.

And I'd be more concerned if we didn't have our best recruiting classes in years coming in. Obviously this is far from optimal, but it's beyond our control. No use in getting bent out of shape.

I'm also just glad to see that idiot gone.

He's pretty much stolen the OAD crown. Never thought I'd see the day tbh.

No one ever did. This makes me want to get rid of the OAD rule even more

In terms of results, there's no debate that UNC has been a better program than Duke in this decade (7 seasons).

Duke: 2 first round exits, 1 second round exit, 4 sweet 16's, 2 elite 8's, 1 final four, 1 title.

UNC: 0 first round exits, 2 second round exits, 5 sweet 16's, 4 elite 8's, 2 final fours, 1 title.

Aside from conference tournament success, by almost every objective measure, we've been substantially the better program this decade. However, that isn't the narrative because Duke is Duke. Yes, we ran into some NCAA "stuff" and that probably didn't help, but in the end I think it's more to do with the Duke narrative than our "stuff."

But when it comes to recruiting, it's really simple. Coach K has a lot more NBA equity right now. Kyrie may have only played 15 minutes or so at Duke, but I'm sure Duke still claims his as a Duke-to-NBA guy. Kyrie might win the MVP this season. Jabari Parker might get a max contract despite a couple ACL tears. Brandon Ingram might become an all star with a glamor NBA team. Jayson Tatum looks like he can become a superstar.

What current NBA equity does Roy have right now? Danny Green got a 40 million dollar contract?

Duke will win in recruiting until Roy gets a one-and-done type player that becomes a superstar at the next level. Plain and simple. This isn't about college basketball... This is about what a 17 year old sees himself being in 2 years and which coach is most likely to get him there. #1 Cal, #2 K.... The rest.

Oh, and I'm sure Zion has aspirations in being part of USA basketball as a professional. Doesn't hurt that the face of USA basketball is Coach K and will be Coach K even after he steps down from it.

Simple equation.... We need more NBA equity if we want to win these types of recruits over more consistently.

All true but I will take how Roy is doing things....Make no mistake the train in Dtown is coming to a end...

Reactions: rexerdog

Paul Pierce is a HOFamer. HB got the max last year and is averaging 19 and 7 this year. Little will be the game changing recruit.

You guys are pathetic. Crying “its bad for college basketball.” If he chose us no one would be complaining. College basketball has never had the star power it has had in the last 5 years. These teams arent breaking any rules and its not like teams built off OAD players are exactly dominating the league either. Other than 2012 UK and 2015 Dook who else has won a title? Nothing but sour grapes. If Dook wants to keep shuffling freshmen that are one year rentals and refuse to develop players and develop a bench I’m not gonna complain. Like someone said above, we’ve been the far more successful program in the OAD era. Ive seen nothing from them this year that tells me theyre gonna win a ship in April either

First, I think you should still include Dook's title in 2010. It was apart of this decade after all.

And the whole "Not many guys in the NBA" logic never adds up.

OADs won't come because we don't have guys in the NBA > We don't have a lot of guys in the NBA because OADs won't come here.

It's been proven that you can be OAD at nearly any school. The stigma that UNC simply cannot seem to shake is either we don't want OADs, or we hold them back. Both of which are simply untrue.

Wonder if Bolden feels it?

K has taken over Cal as the one and done guy. But I don’t think he’ll win another one doing it this way.

Our recruiting class next year will have far more impact for UNC than the Duke rentals coming in next year. Maybe not next year but over the cycle of their stay. I agree with the sentiment we can't live long term on 3* recruits but classes like Berry's and the one next year sprinkled in with the development of kids like Kenny and Luke have proven very successful. It baffles me the fascination with one and done recruits on this board and the frustration of not being a part of it despite the lack of success with it in UK and Duke. We don't get any banners for future NBA players. Based on this article, http://goheels.com/news/2018/1/20/adam-lucas-lucas-road-to-the-rafters.aspx, there are still plenty of NBA alumni to support our boys.

Reactions: FranktheHeel
Well, I think Roy's pretty good at his job. That means I don't think he would be stupid enough to turn down someone like Zion. Not to mention the fact that we actually have a scholarship to give him.
Where unless someone unexpected leaves we wouldn't have had the ship it's simple math... And it's was just me speculating it still isn't out of the realm of possibility

Side note I just reached 1,000 poast
So Roy's been recruiting him knowing there was no scholarship? That makes no sense.
Dude all I know is we didn't get them it was just speculation no matter the reason z is a dookie wish him luck but hope we blitz them both time we play

You guys are pathetic. Crying “its bad for college basketball.” If he chose us no one would be complaining. College basketball has never had the star power it has had in the last 5 years. These teams arent breaking any rules and its not like teams built off OAD players are exactly dominating the league either. Other than 2012 UK and 2015 Dook who else has won a title? Nothing but sour grapes. If Dook wants to keep shuffling freshmen that are one year rentals and refuse to develop players and develop a bench I’m not gonna complain. Like someone said above, we’ve been the far more successful program in the OAD era. Ive seen nothing from them this year that tells me theyre gonna win a ship in April either
I agree with what you said about dook --- I don't see anything championship level about them now, nor next season --- but calling it like it is is far from pathetic. This is a kid who by all rights should have helped put a Clemson on the map and leave a far greater legacy there than he ever will at dook.

Literally nothing about going to dook or uk helps "put kids into the NBA", but we just watched the media slather all over that kool-aid they sell. The OAD rule is a joke that just needs to disappear asap. One-year wonders loading up together absolutely makes a mockery of the college game. "Student-athletes" my ass.

I really hope the NBA is serious about 0-or-2 rule.

K did it again. The good thing is that OAD will be history beginning with the 2020 season.

This shite is more of the movie Blue Chips on steroids and Dook can hide it better being a private school! Sickening to say the least!

Mad dunking on that punk would be justice in itself

The Heels will be okay folks. Manley spending 6 months in the weight room in the off season will be our 5-star recruit. OAD will be gone with the 2020 season. It all boils down to NCAA titles and The Heels will be right in the thick of it for the next few years.

Reactions: MWHeels
If you are you going to force NBA lottery picks to "do" 1 year in college they should look for the best place to "do" their 1 year. Coach K is 71, and more then willing to roll a brand new freshman all star talent squad from year to year, with full control to them to ride it out. Makes sense for their immediate draft status and they get to have a run at the NCAA title in your forced year of college ball for all the NBA ready guys to "do their time" together.

We will be very strong next year, good influx of talent with upper class proven performers. Relax, people!!!

Reactions: MWHeels
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT