ADVERTISEMENT

Zion Williamson

ACokeForRoy

Senior
Nov 12, 2014
Sandy Springs, Ga
Anyone know what happened with our recruitment of Zion Williamson? I know Roy did put in some work with Zion. Was it a mutual parting? Did Zion lose interest? Just curious if anyone has any intel. That's a OAD kid I would love to watch in CH for one year.

Cheers

Last I heard was that we were actually going to get an OV, but he's yet to book one for us.

I think most people think we don't have a chance and I'm one of them. He has been very upfront about seeing college as a quick stop before the NBA, not usually our kind of recruit.

That said, Nas has been in his ear so we'll see. Doubtful though.

Last I heard was that we were actually going to get an OV, but he's yet to book one for us.

I think most people think we don't have a chance and I'm one of them. He has been very upfront about seeing college as a quick stop before the NBA, not usually our kind of recruit.

He roomed with Nas at the USA Basketball thing, right? Can't hurt. Almost certainly won't help enough, though.

Anyone know what happened with our recruitment of Zion Williamson? I know Roy did put in some work with Zion. Was it a mutual parting? Did Zion lose interest? Just curious if anyone has any intel. That's a OAD kid I would love to watch in CH for one year.

Cheers

There was never really much there for us in the first place other than a kid wanting blue blood offers. While Naz may be in his ear they both play the same position so don't think that would go to far either.

Not saying you're wrong, but how is that different than what Little is going to do?

I think now that the NCAA cloud is passed, UNC Basketball fans needs to brace themselves for a steady stream of OADs here in Chapel Hill, like one a season. By no means am I saying that's a bad thing! I think we're fixing to be truly, truly elite for a long time. We will still recruit plenty of 3- and 4-year Joel Berry and Justin Jackson types, but there will be more OADs sprinkled in now. Some folks are gonna have to swallow that.

There was never really much there for us in the first place other than a kid wanting blue blood offers. While Naz may be in his ear they both play the same position so don't think that would go to far either.

Nas is a 3 who can play the 4. Zion is a pure 4. They could definitely coexist in a lineup.

Not saying you're wrong, but how is that different than what Little is going to do?

I think now that the NCAA cloud is passed, UNC Basketball fans needs to brace themselves for a steady stream of OADs here in Chapel Hill, like one a season. By no means am I saying that's a bad thing! I think we're fixing to be truly, truly elite for a long time. We will still recruit plenty of 3- and 4-year Joel Berry and Justin Jackson types, but there will be more OADs sprinkled in now. Some folks are gonna have to swallow that.

Ideally out lineup would consist of something like 2 seniors, 2 juniors or sophomores, and 1 OAD.

For example:

2 seniors: Berry & Pinson
2 juniors: Johnson & Maye
1 OAD: Mitchell Robinson (ignore his character issues - just talking that level of talent)

2 seniors: Johnson & Maye
2 juniors/sophomores: Felton & Brooks
1 OAD: Little

Ideally out lineup would consist of something like 2 seniors, 2 juniors, and 1 star-caliber OAD.
Mostly agree, and I'd be thrilled with that. I'm just wondering if all our fans will be on board with that. Many around here speak about OAD-caliber players like they're a pox on society.

Mostly agree, and I'd be thrilled with that. I'm just wondering if all our fans will be on board with that. Many around here speak about OAD-caliber players like they're a pox on society.

This is obviously not the main goal, but I'd really like to see more UNC stars in the NBA. It's fun to see our guys excel, and we haven't really had that for a while. And stars are usually OAD players (or guys who significantly exceed expectations, and identifying those is really hard).

Cheers
As fun as he'd be to watch, given his game I'm not sure an OAD Zion would be of much value. Like too many of these guys he fancies himself a Guard and can't shoot a lick. Now, if he was a multi-year guy who was willing to develop his game that would be different. By the time Roy gets him reined in he'll be gone.

As fun as he'd be to watch, given his game I'm not sure an OAD Zion would be of much value. Like too many of these guys he fancies himself a Guard and can't shoot a lick. Now, if he was a multi-year guy who was willing to develop his game that would be different. By the time Roy gets him reined in he'll be gone.

Zion is dominant inside against the best players in HS. He blows by bigs and bullies wings. He'd be a hell of a player in one year here.

Zion is dominant inside against the best players in HS. He blows by bigs and bullies wings. He'd be a hell of a player in one year here.
He could be, but would he? For any OAD to be of value here they have to be willing to learn (and fit into) the system quickly. Roy ain't gonna dumb it down like K and Cal have. I see a toughness, versatility and discipline in Little's game that could well translate here immediately. Zion's? Well, not so much.

And BTW, college is a way different game. That "blowing by" and "bullying" don't come quite so easy, especially without a legitimate outside shot threat. Zion is a spectacular talent who as a Freshman would give us "WOW!" moments --- I've called him "Vince Carter crawled up in Charles Barkley's body" on here --- but there would also likely be a lot of Roy-angry-facepalm moments as well.

Bottom line, as for Carolina, I see Zion as a guy who would absolutely blow-the-f**k up as a Soph here once he learned to harness and refine that talent. Trouble is, by that time he'd be in the NBA.

Reactions: khedges54
...except nobody has said that. What many have said is that the OAD system/culture is a pox on college basketball, which, lo and behold, has just been borne out in spades by the FBI stuff.
Yes, we all agree the OAD system is a pox on college basketball and is unfair for coaches, fans, AND players. But to say many on here haven't talked about OAD-level players and recruitment of OAD players like they're a plague is just being difficult or trying to rewrite history.

I think you know what would happen.
Yes, they'd suddenly be okay with it because we are doing it now :p

And BTW, college is a way different game. That "blowing by" and "bullying" don't come quite so easy, especially without a legitimate outside shot threat. Zion is a spectacular talent who as a Freshman would give us "WOW!" moments --- I've called him "Vince Carter crawled up in Charles Barkley's body" on here --- but there would also likely be a lot of Roy-angry-facepalm moments as well.

He may eventually reach a level where his physical gifts aren't enough. But I don't think college will be that level.

He's arguably the most exceptional combination of power and explosiveness ever - HS, college, NBA. He's built like a defensive tackle and gets his head to the rim.

Let's be honest, I think a lot of folks started talking down on the OAD players b/c we were in a rut due to the shadow of the investigation hanging over our heads. OADs were not coming to UNC and it is easier to accept when you act like you don't want OAD players. The bottom line is we should want kids who WANT to play at UNC, regardless if they are going to be here for one year or four. Roy is going to do what he needs to do to try and put a championship caliber team on the court each season. We should all really marvel at the job Roy has done during the struggles and trust him even more now that the investigation is over. Trust our staff to do what is right for the team, the university, and the fans.

Yes, we all agree the OAD system is a pox on college basketball and is unfair for coaches, fans, AND players. But to say many on here haven't talked about OAD-level players and recruitment of OAD players like they're a plague is just being difficult or trying to rewrite history.

Not sure what history you're talking about... and sorry of the truth is "difficult".

Let's get real. Are some (many) OADs poison? Damn right they are. Roy has continually tried to recruit elite kids, but as writers close to the program have said repeatedly, there are certain players UNC cannot (will not) recruit, whether it's because of academics or handlers or a family with their hands out. And even among the many Roy has tried to recruit, several of those have fallen off our radar once they were vetted by the staff (for one or more of the aforementioned reasons)... and many if not most of the rest, quite honestly, opted for programs that provided, um, fringe benefits.

You want to talk history? How many on here have openly mocked those of us who have tried to clue folks in on the level of cheating that regularly goes down out there ---and not because we're speculating, because we know --- or who correctly tried to tell folks that was the main reason for our lack of success in recruiting these elite prospects? Shame it took the damned FBI to wake some people up and throw some light on a shady process.

Will there now be a side-affect of UNC being better able to corral the occasional OAD? One would think. But that doesn't make that any more palatable to build a program on. I feel safe in saying no one here would have an issue if there's an OAD in any given class. Relying on them? That's a whole nuther matter.

Never seen him play. But his measurables are head scratchers. 6’5 and 272? Not that that means he cant be really good. But i cant remember anyone similar being great. Barkley was 6,6 and 250ish iirc.

Barkley was more like 6'4" 250'ish...round mound of rebound.
Zion can get up well for a big kid, dunks a lot but that jump shot is reportedly not all that from folks that have seen him play...not sure about his defense at all.

Reactions: gary-7
Never seen him play. But his measurables are head scratchers. 6’5 and 272? Not that that means he cant be really good. But i cant remember anyone similar being great. Barkley was 6,6 and 250ish iirc.
Zion is a freak. If he polishes his game, gets a reliable shot and keeps his weight in check he can be a monster. Like I said many times, think Vince Carter crawling up in Barkley's body --- like a "Round Mound of Throw-Down", if you will.

Solid contribution :rolleyes:. "Beast"? Absolutely. Beast who is a component of a championship team? That is far from assured.

Well I don't know Zion from Adam or what he wants out of a college. I do know that I'd want him on our team due to his tremendous talent. I don't see the problem. Are you concerned about chemistry?

I sort of felt like he was headed to Kansas because of the adidas connection. But the events of the last few weeks may have put a dent into those plans. To be honest it wouldn't surprise me to see him end up at Clemson. He can go there and be the whole show and build up some gaudy stats to impress the NBA. Stats that he wouldn't otherwise get in a real powerful program. And at this point, Brad Brownell would do anything to get him. Most figure if CU doesn't make NCAA this year that he is toast. But if he could land Zion they would give him a pass and another year of big money without doing much of anything. Brad can call Tates Locke and let him give him some pointers on how to land some difference makers. Showing my age, but to the young, Tates coached at Clemson back in the 70's. Brought in a heck of a team. As good of a point guard in Skip Wise as I saw in the league. Then the program probably came closer to getting the death penalty than any program in history. But Tates knew how to bag up the cash and get the new cars to his recruits.

Granted, I am maybe not as sold on Zion as most are because I do not think he is Barkley or LJ, I see him as a tweener who has been able to exploit a physical strength advantage on the high school level but I question his quickness as a wing and as a 4 he can be played over the top of by more physically mature college players.

Someone tried to correct me that Zion was a pure 4, rivals has him listed as a wing, the kid himself believes he is a wing, and he was last seen hugging a celery stick and diving in to a bowl of extra hot sauce, so I am thinking he is a wing? LOL

Well I don't know Zion from Adam or what he wants out of a college. I do know that I'd want him on our team due to his tremendous talent. I don't see the problem. Are you concerned about chemistry?
That would be part of it. I didn't really want Ingram for that very reason. That being said, I too would love to have a freak like Zion to pull for in Chapel Hill. My fear is that he is a particularly good example of what a shame it is not to have certain OADs for more than one season --- Roy and staff could do wonders for his game and his future.

If he does by some chance decide to come here I'll certainly enjoy it while we can, and just hope he brings an attitude and approach that fits in.

That would be part of it. I didn't really want Ingram for that very reason. That being said, I too would love to have a freak like Zion to pull for in Chapel Hill. My fear is that he is a particularly good example of what a shame it is not to have certain OADs for more than one season --- Roy and staff could do wonders for his game and his future.

If he does by some chance decide to come here I'll certainly enjoy it while we can, and just hope he brings an attitude and approach that fits in.

Well we would all hope he would fit in and bring the right attitude. I've actually heard he's a pretty nice kid.

I think one thing Roy could really use right now is star power. One of the biggest shots people use against him is that he doesn't develop NBA talent, which is heavily misleading. At the same time, having someone like Zion come here for a year, dominate and then make headlines in the NBA would be tremendous for our brand.

Reactions: Darkhorse1355
Well we would all hope he would fit in and bring the right attitude. I've actually heard he's a pretty nice kid.

I think one thing Roy could really use right now is star power. One of the biggest shots people use against him is that he doesn't develop NBA talent, which is heavily misleading. At the same time, having someone like Zion come here for a year, dominate and then make headlines in the NBA would be tremendous for our brand.

I would take Zion in a heart beat. I think Little is going to be a stud at the next level (NBA), so he might accomplish your request.

Reactions: gary-7
I sort of felt like he was headed to Kansas because of the adidas connection. But the events of the last few weeks may have put a dent into those plans. To be honest it wouldn't surprise me to see him end up at Clemson. He can go there and be the whole show and build up some gaudy stats to impress the NBA. Stats that he wouldn't otherwise get in a real powerful program. And at this point, Brad Brownell would do anything to get him. Most figure if CU doesn't make NCAA this year that he is toast. But if he could land Zion they would give him a pass and another year of big money without doing much of anything. Brad can call Tates Locke and let him give him some pointers on how to land some difference makers. Showing my age, but to the young, Tates coached at Clemson back in the 70's. Brought in a heck of a team. As good of a point guard in Skip Wise as I saw in the league. Then the program probably came closer to getting the death penalty than any program in history. But Tates knew how to bag up the cash and get the new cars to his recruits.

Funny that you mentioned Clemson because the local radio station in Clemson seems to think that Zion is bound for Tigertown as well along with a highly regarded guard who is a friend of Zion...

Think Zion was at the Clemson/Auburn game a few weeks back, and got the royal treatment from the Clemson fans is what the station was saying....If all that is true, it wouldn;t be shocking at all if he ended up in Clemson since Spartanburg is just a few miles up the road....

Funny that you mentioned Clemson because the local radio station in Clemson seems to think that Zion is bound for Tigertown as well along with a highly regarded guard who is a friend of Zion...

Think Zion was at the Clemson/Auburn game a few weeks back, and got the royal treatment from the Clemson fans is what the station was saying....If all that is true, it wouldn;t be shocking at all if he ended up in Clemson since Spartanburg is just a few miles up the road....

Clemson and SC were the strong leaders out of the gate, not sure how bad the steering scandal is going to hit SC but I was told early on he would stay in state and that Clemson was his early leader but SC was coming hard. That was straight from the mouth of one of his former coaches that knows the kid well.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick

Bored?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT