ADVERTISEMENT

Zion Williamson

Zion going to Clemson would be like Simmons at L$U.... lame duck coach, great numbers, lots of losing.
Nothing wrong with going to a power school and averaging 11 pts and a few rebounds..... it's just how you do it (eg. Marvin)

A beast among 16-17 year olds in HS is far different from being a beast among ACC caliber players. He would be really good but a beast? Not so much, IMO.

Beast in one year is a stretch I agree, but Zion is a beast, and with his strength will make an impact no matter who he plays for.

Probably so, and with good reason. But I've said from the get-go Little was my first choice. If somehow we get both then that's a bonus.

Of course we would love to have Zion but if I am picking between Zion and Little I am taking Little and not looking back. Zion will be a heck of a college payer but it isn't going to be as easy as it was in high school and I am not sure all he was able to do in high school will easy translate to the college level. Just my opinion...

Reactions: MWHeels and gary-7
Funny that you mentioned Clemson because the local radio station in Clemson seems to think that Zion is bound for Tigertown as well along with a highly regarded guard who is a friend of Zion...

Think Zion was at the Clemson/Auburn game a few weeks back, and got the royal treatment from the Clemson fans is what the station was saying....If all that is true, it wouldn;t be shocking at all if he ended up in Clemson since Spartanburg is just a few miles up the road....

I can't remember his name, but the other player is a pretty highly ranked point guard out of Charlotte. But do know that Brownell has absolutely nothing to lose. He has already been the luckiest coach in the country. Seven years into his tenure and the program is worse than what he inherited. Went to NCAA his first year with Purnells players. Hasn't sniffed the NCAA since. And a very lucky man because he is at Clemson. As long as football is going well, they can tolerate mediocrity in most any other sport. But Brownell knows that he is getting close to testing their low standard for basketball excellence at this point. So he has nothing to lose. Imagine Zion can just about cut any deal he wants down there. And Clemson knows how to do it. When they want to get good, they spend the money.

I can't remember his name, but the other player is a pretty highly ranked point guard out of Charlotte. But do know that Brownell has absolutely nothing to lose. He has already been the luckiest coach in the country. Seven years into his tenure and the program is worse than what he inherited. Went to NCAA his first year with Purnells players. Hasn't sniffed the NCAA since. And a very lucky man because he is at Clemson. As long as football is going well, they can tolerate mediocrity in most any other sport. But Brownell knows that he is getting close to testing their low standard for basketball excellence at this point. So he has nothing to lose. Imagine Zion can just about cut any deal he wants down there. And Clemson knows how to do it. When they want to get good, they spend the money.

Have to agree with you that Basketball is really an afterthought at Clemson....Seems that Dabo can get anyone that he wants on the Football recruiting trail, while Brownell can seemingly only get Transfers and Basketball players that aren't so highly recruited which makes the Zion Williamson to Clemson talk even more bizarre..Clemson really missed the boat when they let Cliff Ellis leave town because he could recruit and Coach, and had a great personality similar to Dabo, and the opposite of Brownell who seems more like an Accountant than a Basketball Coach...I have to laugh when I hear Walt Deptula on a daily basis sing Brownell's praises on his talk show as if he is the best basketball coach in the country...Pure comedy!

Honestly, I can't remember a single poster saying they didn't want OAD players at UNC. I really don't know where this idea came from!

I and many others do say they would hate for our team to become a OAD factory like some have, but why would anyone not want elite recruits(the clean and ethical ones) at their favorite U?

I love to watch Zion highlights and really appreciate his dominance in HS, but he is not a complete ball player yet and will not stay in college long enough to become one. Little is closer to being complete right now and will stay long enough to maximize his talent and for us to feel he is Family!

I would love to have a talent like Zion and will enjoy watching him play, but I think we have little shot at him and that is fine.

Honestly, I can't remember a single poster saying they didn't want OAD players at UNC. I really don't know where this idea came from!

I won't call out names, but there were a few and its been well documented. And they know who they are.

Being a "OAD factory" depends on your POV of how many OADs are too many. We're on the verge of landing 2, yet some are already saying that's too many.

Trust Roy. I think he's more than capable of winning with or without OADs.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Zion is good, and will be a difference maker at the college level. But an above poster hit on something concerning him. He dominates at the high school level mainly by taking folks in the lane and being stronger and out jumping them. That isn't going to be quite as simple at college level, and much less so on the NBA level. He is going to be good, but a dominant player in the NBA? Don't think so

I won't call out names, but there were a few and its been well documented. And they know who they are.

Being a "OAD factory" depends on your POV of how many OADs are too many. We're on the verge of landing 2, yet some are already saying that's too many.

Trust Roy. I think he's more than capable of winning with or without OADs.

From the comments I've read about the OAD issue, it seems like most UNC fans are fine with Roy recruiting them as long there is a balance between elite OAD prospects and players who will stay long term. And to be honest, it's really tough to judge how many OADs we will have during the recruiting process. I'm sure many assumed Harrison Barnes would leave after year one, but he came back. And then we had guys like Brandon Wright and Tony Bradley leave after one season.

I'm personally fine with one or two per year. When I think of "OAD" factory, it's Kentucky, with Duke rapidly approaching their level as well. That's not something I want to see for this program.

From the comments I've read about the OAD issue, it seems like most UNC fans are fine with Roy recruiting them as long there is a balance between elite OAD prospects and players who will stay long term. And to be honest, it's really tough to judge how many OADs we will have during the recruiting process. I'm sure many assumed Harrison Barnes would leave after year one, but he came back. And then we had guys like Brandon Wright and Tony Bradley leave after one season.

I'm personally fine with one or two per year. When I think of "OAD" factory, it's Kentucky, with Duke rapidly approaching their level as well. That's not something I want to see for this program.

As long as we're under Roy, I don't think our program will ever be like that.

Personally, I'm less concerned about the guys who blow up and decide to go OAD rather than the ones who have that mindset from day 1.

just for convo

2011 - irving
2012 - rivers
2013 - none
2014 - parker
2015 - okafor----------winslow and jones along with a natty played themselves into this status
2016 - ingram
2017 - giles/tatum----------jackson was a head scratcher, but did land 1st round

so about 1.6 OAD per season since 2011 excluding 2013....1.4 OAD including 2013

just for convo

2011 - irving
2012 - rivers
2013 - none
2014 - parker
2015 - okafor----------winslow and jones along with a natty played themselves into this status
2016 - ingram
2017 - giles/tatum----------jackson was a head scratcher, but did land 1st round

so about 1.6 OAD per season since 2011 excluding 2013....1.4 OAD including 2013

7 in the last 3 seasons. That's a 2.3 average. And there will probably be at least 3 again this season.

7 in the last 3 seasons. That's a 2.3 average. And there will probably be at least 3 again this season.

^. This. That Durham Douche didn’t really start swinging for mostly one and dones until after the Kentucky championship in 2012 which proved that one and dones could win a championship albeit UNC may have had something to say about that had it not been for the injuries.

A single 1&D kid, maybe every now and then 2, fine, but more than that means you have to flip your roster every season and hope you have enough talent to over come a serious lack of experience and higher level maturity.

While folks can point to KY and duke each winning a natty lead by 1 & D freshmen, I can point to many more lead by experienced Jr and Sr players. Was there a freshman starter in either of the last 2 NCAA title games?

The fundamental difference between having OAD's on your roster and being an OAD factory comes down to maintaining integrity of playing style, culture and game plan.

Many on here, myself included don't want Roy to land OAD players at the expense of a very successful system.

We would prefer Roy not to sell his soul ie, we wouldn't like him to guarantee playing time, promising specific roles on the team, starting positions, xx shots per game, telling players they can play point forward, etc, etc.

One of the most attractive elements to Roy and his system is the team first philosophy, the sense of community and team culture.

I personally believe this is something the OAD factories have lost in the quest to win "recruiting championships"

I really don't trust anyone involved to make a new rule that would be logical and benefit both sports. Any idiot could tell straight off that the one and done was moronic at best and would cause all sorts of issues, but they've kept it around for far too long.

I wouldn't trust anyone from the NCAA to make the new rule. However, I do have faith in NBA Commissioner Adam Silver. He's the first person that no only has said the rule is ridiculous but is actually about to do something about it. He's mentioned the 0 and 2 option, which I think will benefit both the NBA and college hoops.

Reactions: Archer2 and bax4444
Mutual benefit is a concept that has been totally alien to the NBA! Hopefully the three bodies will finally sit down and discuss it together! (NBA, NBAPA, and NCAA)

There is common ground. I hope they couple the 0 and 2 rule with increased salaries in the G league!

Reactions: HermanT

I don't mind OAD kids as long as they stay at least 3 years.

and 3 of them weren't projected as such 2 played their way in after great seasons and a natty and 1 went on sheer possibility....def expect 2 (bagley and duval)

and 3 of them weren't projected as such 2 played their way in after great seasons and a natty and 1 went on sheer possibility....def expect 2 (bagley and duval)

Anyone can tell that he's deliberately targeting OAD's now when he never did in the past. And to be clear, I never said he was at Calipari's level, but that he was approaching it, and the numbers you posted prove it. And most 2018 mock drafts have Bagley, Carter, Duval and Trent from this year's class. The trend will continue.

Anyone can tell that he's deliberately targeting OAD's now when he never did in the past. And to be clear, I never said he was at Calipari's level, but that he was approaching it, and the numbers you posted prove it. And most 2018 mock drafts have Bagley, Carter, Duval and Trent from this year's class. The trend will continue.

Then it continues in 2018. Duke is a OAD factory. It's not hard to see.

Reactions: MWHeels

of course he is targeting OAD talent....the same talented players that have always been targeted, only difference is now the top guys come with the possibility of being OAD....in the beginning you could pass on a OAD and get a guy just as good for 3/4 years.....unc has targeted and recruited and visited and spent money essentially on the same kids....as of late, its 1 to 2 strong candidates along with 3 to 4 year players....trent and carter could very well make that happen for themselves, but right now the sure shots are bagley and duval

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT