ADVERTISEMENT

Zion Williamson

Isn't JF already a starter?
(or am I too tired to recognize satire?)

He started due to JB's injury against UNI .. it is my opinion he will start a bit later in the season even after Joel gets back because he is that talented. And he will start at the 2 spot and with him, Joel and Theo in the game at the same time. That combination will cause some sleepless nights to coaches trying to prepare a defensive game plan. This can easily be another final four team .. jmho

Zion is playing in Asheville tonight at Christ School. Looking forward to seeing him play again. Wearing my Heels gear

Jalen Lecque plays for Christ School you will enjoy that game tonight should have a lot of highlights.

Correction. Roy is visiting Zion this morning.

Last edited:
yes it would, but some posters were saying that roy didn't know those players would be 1 and done.

He didn’t. No one did. Marv and BWright were before the OAD era. And Marv, even by today’s standards, wasn’t ranked at a level that would indicate he had OAD potential. If I remember correctly, he was just outside the top 10. Wright was #3 if memory serves me which would indeed indicate OAD potential by today’s standards plus he had ridiculous measurables. But as I stated, that was before OAD was a thing so really no one saw that coming especially from a guy that wasn’t dominant at all during his one year. KD has to put up absurd numbers to be OAD in those days of college hoops. And Tony, well, we’ve beaten that discussion up recently so I won’t get into that again other than to say that he certainly wasn’t ranked at a OAD level coming out of high school and he had led Roy to believe that he would be on campus for more than one year.

With all that said, no one, including me, has ever said that Roy won’t take OAD kids. But some of us have said that Roy prefers multiple year guys over OADs and his system is geared for multiple year guys. It’s also the belief of some - me included - that often times, Roy recruits OAD players much differently than he recruits multiple year players. And that’s really all I’ll say about that because I don’t feel like turning this thread into another argument.

Roy visits Zion this morning, Zion proceeds to drop 45 the same night... Coincidence? I think not ;) Join the fam Z

He didn’t. No one did. Marv and BWright were before the OAD era. And Marv, even by today’s standards, wasn’t ranked at a level that would indicate he had OAD potential. If I remember correctly, he was just outside the top 10. Wright was #3 if memory serves me which would indeed indicate OAD potential by today’s standards plus he had ridiculous measurables. But as I stated, that was before OAD was a thing so really no one saw that coming especially from a guy that wasn’t dominant at all during his one year. KD has to put up absurd numbers to be OAD in those days of college hoops. And Tony, well, we’ve beaten that discussion up recently so I won’t get into that again other than to say that he certainly wasn’t ranked at a OAD level coming out of high school and he had led Roy to believe that he would be on campus for more than one year.

With all that said, no one, including me, has ever said that Roy won’t take OAD kids. But some of us have said that Roy prefers multiple year guys over OADs and his system is geared for multiple year guys. It’s also the belief of some - me included - that often times, Roy recruits OAD players much differently than he recruits multiple year players. And that’s really all I’ll say about that because I don’t feel like turning this thread into another argument.

marv and bwright both told roy they were planning on one year.

you're really arguing that i didn't see anyone on a carolina message board take the position that roy wouldn't take 1 and dones because NO ONE has ever said that?
I NEVER ACCUSED ANYONE ON THIS BOARD OF SAYING IT?

Uh, gthreadgill, he actually scored 46.
Christ School won by 8 if anyone is interested.
Much of Zion's inside play is just take it to the rim and dunk.
Saw nothing of mid-range shooting from him.
Couple of kids for CS are pretty good, the little guard Jalen and IIRC, #24, active, good rebounder and scored some too.

Uh, gthreadgill, he actually scored 46.
Christ School won by 8 if anyone is interested.
Much of Zion's inside play is just take it to the rim and dunk.
Saw nothing of mid-range shooting from him.

Couple of kids for CS are pretty good, the little guard Jalen and IIRC, #24, active, good rebounder and scored some too.

I really wonder why people say this like it's a bad thing. The dunk is the highest percentage shot in the sport. The fact that he's able to "take it to the rim and dunk" all the time means that should be option 1a for him.

He won't run through the ACC like small private school kids. Lots of kids can be stand and catch dunkers. His mid range game and jump shooting are a question mark.

He won't run through the ACC like small private school kids. Lots of kids can be stand and catch dunkers. His mid range game and jump shooting are a question mark.
Brandon Huffman is a "stand and catch dunker". Is that what you're claiming Williamson is? Because if so you're so far off base you're not in the realm of the living.

Brandon Huffman is a "stand and catch dunker". Is that what you're claiming Williamson is? Because if so you're so far off base you're not in the realm of the living.

I made no claim on any particular Carolina player. One step and a dunk, catch, one dribble and dunk, a bunch of that last night by Zion with the occasional partial dribble drive, hard to call this cause he is only two steps or about 10 feet out. Not sure on his defense.
But wow, you take my statement and go ............way.....out......there.......
Yeah, if that is what Brandon is doing. Cause right now his mid-range is a work in progress. Brandon is one of our UNC guys and I like many aspects of his game, particularly rebounding.
Your last sentence is interesting, so since you are so well advised, where am I, if not among the living, sport?

I see Zion as a Charles Barkley type player in the NBA.

In fairness to Zion, I neglected to point out he hit a long jumper in the first half.

Tom makes a good point. Every highlight I've seen of Zion, he's abusing 5'9" floppy-haired private school kids that look better suited for the golf team than the hardwood. I'm sure he's performed well on the AAU circuit too against much better competition but I've not seen his ability to shoot the ball...or pass the ball...or really do anything but dunk on Harrison, Oliver and the rest of the country club gang.

Reactions: Tom79
Tom makes a good point. Every highlight I've seen of Zion, he's abusing 5'9" floppy-haired private school kids that look better suited for the golf team than the hardwood. I'm sure he's performed well on the AAU circuit too against much better competition but I've not seen his ability to shoot the ball...or pass the ball...or really do anything but dunk on Harrison, Oliver and the rest of the country club gang.

He abuses the best players in the country on the aau circuit as well. And there's plenty of tape of him hitting shots too if you care to look for it. granted I don't think it's the best part of his game, but as I said before he's so strong and athletic it doesn't have to be.

Guys are acting like this is just a kind of talented high school player doing whatever he wants and just dunking all over inferior players. If this is what you think Zion is, you haven't looked into him anywhere near enough to form an opinion like that.

250+ at 6'6" (I have seen him listed anywhere from 232 lbs to as much as 272 lbs and at 6'6" to just yesterday at 6'8") so yeah, IMO, it is relatively easy for a big kid to run roughshod over the kid at 6'3" 170 lbs.

And at the club we prefer Bret over Oliver or Harrison! :eek:

A flurry of Zion to Clemson picks on 247 for whatever reason. He's not expected to announce during his high school season is he?

You have absolutely, positively, utterly NO idea what you're talking about.

You sure about that sport? Please provide me the details.

You neglected to copy my full statement.
Here is the rest of it:
Lots of kids can be stand and catch dunkers. His mid range game and jump shooting are a question mark.

Last edited:
You sure about that sport? Please provide me the details.

So...here are the details:

- Human beings have 2 things called eyes. They are on your face. Now, these eyes allow you to see things. What happens in this amazing body we have is that these eyes send messages to your brain that allows you (well, some people) to formulate thoughts based on what they are seeing.

- Anyone with these 2 eyes and this brain I'm speaking of will know that Zion is not a stand and catch dunker.

Hope this helps, sport!

I still havent really figured out what a "stand and catch dunker" is exactly. I used Huffman as an example because from the best I could figure the poster was saying all Zion does is stand near the basket, catch the ball, and dunk it. If this is what his definition is of the phrase then I agree too that he really has no idea what hes talking about. Unless he clarifies, thats really all I can say.

I still havent really figured out what a "stand and catch dunker" is exactly. I used Huffman as an example because from the best I could figure the poster was saying all Zion does is stand near the basket, catch the ball, and dunk it. If this is what his definition is of the phrase then I agree too that he really has no idea what hes talking about. Unless he clarifies, thats really all I can say.

I mean, what else can it be besides someone who just stands there and catches the ball then dunks it? It's kinda explained in this weird term he's using to describe arguably the best high school prospect since Lebron James.

Human highlight reel but if he doesn't develop his skills like hitting a shot outside of 5 feet on a consistent basis he will have some challenges in college that he doesn't against current competition. Greatest since Lebron is an interesting google search as we drool over these can't miss prospects every year. Schea Cotton ring a bell, manchild dunking on everybody that didn't turn out so well. Not saying that's Z's fate but he must continue to develop and hopefully he does wearing Carolina Blue next year. it's funny way back when we were looking for the next Jordan (Curtis Hunter, Kevin Madden etc etc). and that was a hard find.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT