ADVERTISEMENT

2020 recruiting and commitments

Tennessee OL Ryan Johnson is in the transfer portal. He graduated in 2 and a half years. He will have his Master's this coming May. He will be a 5th year SR for football in 2020. He's got about a year and a half of starting at OG, but I think he's also played some OT. He lost his starting job early this year, but I think he played in every game.

https://twitter.com/ryancj96?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

He plays guitar too, so he's alright with me.

Reactions: Archer2
Really ticked about not getting Simpson especially at a position of need. What’s our chances of ever landing some stud linebackers again?

On the bright side QB Jefferson Boaz of East Surry set the NCHSAA record for passing yards, Passing TD’s and tied the record for total TD’s in a State Title Game last night in a 56-28 dismantling of traditional 1A power Tarboro.... Gosnell and Stevens has good nights as well catching a lot of those yards and TD’s

It was so long as Clemson hadn't extended him an offer.

And then was just a matter of time until they did. Even if they had not done it before the early signing period he may not have signed early to wait and see if the offer would come....so either way there was a good chance he wasn’t coming here. Dam* you tigers!

And then was just a matter of time until they did. Even if they had not done it before the early signing period he may not have signed early to wait and see if the offer would come....so either way there was a good chance he wasn’t coming here. Dam* you tigers!
He was going to make his announcement on ESPN three days from now, early signing day. He would’ve signed his LOI at the announcement. His commitment to Clemson was anything but assured.

So we have 26 commits and room for 2, yeah? I guess capers the WR is still top target? I wonder what the position of need is.

If it is 'best player available', then who is after capers?

Or is it best north Carolinian available?

Last edited:
Simpson was ours, provided Clemson didn’t offer. So much for the “Dabo doing Mack a favor by not offering” theory. This last hour offer by Clemson has to frustrate our staff even more. I know it does me because we put a whole lot more time and effort into recruiting this kid than they did.

Guess it just shows the difference in where our programs are right now.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Here's a complete list of everyone who signed a Letter of Intent with North Carolina today. All but 2 of the Tar Heels' 26 verbal commitments are accounted for. The exceptions are Elijah Burris, who plans to sign in February, and Clyde Pinder, who's likely trying to decide between Florida and North Carolina.

https://goheels.com/sports/football/roster/2019-20
That's still a very good class, but I hope Pinder winds up a part of it.

So we haven’t signed any DTs and we NEED them. So what’s pinder wanting the PT is there for the taking.

^Mack said they're going to have to be a really special HS player for us to take another person in this class, since he didn't want to steal from the stacked 2021 class. But also said grad transfers are just a single yr, not impacting 2021.

Z Capers signed with Auburn, Oxendine signed with Kentucky, so I think any 2020 guys are yet to be named.

Lamareon James is still available.

^Mack said they're going to have to be a really special HS player for us to take another person in this class, since he didn't want to steal from the stacked 2021 class. But also said grad transfers are just a single yr, not impacting 2021.

Z Capers signed with Auburn, Oxendine signed with Kentucky, so I think any 2020 guys are yet to be named.

Lamareon James is still available.
A quality grad transfer on each LOS could help a good deal.

Burnett's is walking, the grad xfer kicker from wofford or Furman or wherever will be on scholarship

The GT kicker has made 80.4% of his FGs. Our combined kicking effort last year was 19 for 28 (67.9%). If we had made 80.4% this past year, that equates to an extra 3, 4 made FGs, which certainly could've meant a victory versus VT (and possibly vs App too).

Reactions: Begbie_Nole
The GT kicker has made 80.4% of his FGs. Our combined kicking effort last year was 19 for 28 (67.9%). If we had made 80.4% this past year, that equates to an extra 3, 4 made FGs, which certainly could've meant a victory versus VT (and possibly vs App too).
I'll take any help we can get.

Possibly so but also need help on defense just saying. Congrats to the young man on being a part of the family

WE have another preferred walk on: 6-3 290 OG Chance Carroll of Will;iam Amos Hough in Cornelious NC. He made the Shrine Bowl. Better still, he is HS teammate of 2021 4* RB Evan Pryor.

as a nole Im curious about Carl Tucker.. I was not excited that we were looking to add a 6'1 TE but apparently he is pretty good if Bama wanted him. thoughts? Also, whats up with Ross? He was solid no?

as a nole Im curious about Carl Tucker.. I was not excited that we were looking to add a 6'1 TE but apparently he is pretty good if Bama wanted him. thoughts? Also, whats up with Ross? He was solid no?
Tucker was inconsistent. Perhaps injuries guaranteed that, but it remains.

If he had decided to play his final year here, he would have been 1 of 2 SR TEs, who between them should have played 95% of the snaps. Tucker seemed to have been a favorite of the Fedora staff, and I wonder if he wanted out because he is not a favorite of the Mack staff.

None of that explains why Bama wants him. He is probably a hair or two short of 6-2. He is limited as a TE by height and inconsistent hands. He is a good blocker but not jaw dropping good. Bama should have 4 or 5 guys on the team with at least that much potential.

Reactions: Begbie_Nole
With this class pretty much done any idea if there will be any that fail to make it onto campus?

I just realized that Burris signed with hampton..not a big loss just an observation
When we took the 3rd commitment from an RB, I expressed doubt about us signing 3 RBs in 1 class and figured the odd man out to be the commitment to the Fedora staff.

Reactions: Lydia green
ADVERTISEMENT