ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Season

uncfootball-

Hall of Famer
Aug 2, 2019
Up until today I was confident there would be college football in the fall. Now I am on the side of it not happening. I would say I am 45% on yes and 55% on no. Just curious what other folks were feeling at this point.

Right now I'm at 90% there will be a season. I do think it's possible that non conference games get cancelled and everyone just plays a conference schedule.

ETA: if the season is cancelled, look for smaller schools to cancel their spring sports because they won't be able to afford it.

I hope you two are right about having a season..things just seem to be trending in the wrong direction. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Reactions: Archer2
We will start out trying to have a season, but I don’t think that we will be able to finish it.

We will start out trying to have a season, but I don’t think that we will be able to finish it.
I’m afraid you’re right. I hope not for many reasons, least of which is due to sports. I love them as entertainment, but that’s all they are.

HST, I so hope we can play.

I’d say there’s a better chance of them playing in empty stadiums than cancelling the season. Wouldn’t be surprised if non conference games get cancelled though.

Going undefeated up until the ACCCG wouldn’t be outside the realm of possibility if we only play a conference schedule.

If I had to guess we are looking at empty stadiums and conference only games
good chance of that. also likely that players will be tested before each game, and kids who test positive will have to sit out. winning or losing the game may simply come down to which team loses more players. in many states hospitals are nearing capacity for ICU beds, so it's unlikely that sports will take a half-baked approach to this crisis.

Reactions: uncfootball-
good chance of that. also likely that players will be tested before each game, and kids who test positive will have to sit out. winning or losing the game may simply come down to which team loses more players. in many states hospitals are nearing capacity for ICU beds, so it's unlikely that sports will take a half-baked approach to this crisis.

If that is the case, then I wonder if having access to world class healthcare facilities could be an advantage. More rigorous testing week to week could make it easier to isolate the positive cases.

I don't think we'll have a full season of regular games with regular fan attendance. Can college towns keep the wildfire-spread down? If so, tiny chance fans can attend with masks.

Protests proved that mask-wearing makes outdoor group-yelling not too problematic in terms of spread.

Sitting in bleachers with masks is likely much more safe than being indoors in a restaurant or bar.... even indoors in classroom.

In another thread I said we need to test like hell to firewall problematic areas to keep spread-levels low, wear high-quality masks in the areas with high spread and avoid high-risk activities, then wait for solid treatments. Of course spread-levels are now really high all over, but it isn't too late to correct the course.

The treatments are getting better. Death rates are dropping due to better treatments - Clotting-treatment, proning, steroid, plasma, etc are things which weren't being used in Lombardy and NYC. But despite the treatments it is still a nasty thing can hospitalize lots of people.

With raging wild-fires, it is easy to see chaos disrupting the schedule this fall.

But if people avoid restaurants, bars and anything else social which is indoors, if the government provides N95 for indoor workers (if they'd force manufacturing of a billion), we can reduce spread-levels to LOW. Once low enough, then test/trace/isolate can help limit wild-fires and we can have some normalcy. Ireland, Iceland, Norway, Vietnam, etc have people in restaurants, kids in schools, etc.

In many places the wait time for test results in days. But I think there are some rapid tests being developed. Hopefully we'll have those soon.

But I don't think anywhere in the world (european or american soccer, etc) are they doing "test before game" yet.

I was optimistic but after last few weeks I'm feeling it will be abbreviated with no bowls other than the fbs semis and finals. Sucks because I was really looking forward to what Howell would do with the skill players surrounding him. I think the Heels need a full season to get a young defense together but expected to see them in championship game against the Tigers and then in the Orange Bowl.

I was optimistic but after last few weeks I'm feeling it will be abbreviated with no bowls other than the fbs semis and finals. Sucks because I was really looking forward to what Howell would do with the skill players surrounding him. I think the Heels need a full season to get a young defense together but expected to see them in championship game against the Tigers and then in the Orange Bowl.

It continues to trend in the wrong direction. Things will have to turn around soon or the season is over. I am expecting the NBA to cancel any day now.

It continues to trend in the wrong direction. Things will have to turn around soon or the season is over. I am expecting the NBA to cancel any day now.
If the NBA really wants to make it work they should do what bundelisga did. Locked players in hotels, away from family and friends for two weeks while testing & quarantining. Then kept them locked away for another month or two to finish out the season.

If I had to guess we are looking at empty stadiums and conference only games
And that may the best case scenario. And it isn't just because of Covid-19, which hasn't been as lethal as predicted widely. There are fears that Antifa and BLM could stage 'protests' coinciding with games. No college wants a couple thousand 'peaceful' protestors who accidentally trash some part of campus while calling for police to be killed. If BLM and Antifa would destroy the CFB Hall of Fame, they wouldn't think twice about tearing up any UNC building that is part of UNC sports. And Chapel Hill and Orange County police and deputies almost certainly would be told to stand down if Antifa and BLM were to protest at UNC.

If football does find a way to start but the major conferences decide to only play conference games, what happens to Independant teams like ND?

This whole thing is a shit show at every level. The goal posts move daily it seems. All this shit is so political now I can’t even deal with it.

It's a weird deal.. I am on the fence on what to think. I did notice that once Trump moved the convention to Florida the cases of the virus in Florida went nuts. Now is that just a coincidence, it could be. One thing I don't understand is how "experts" can change their mind about this thing so many times.

If football does find a way to start but the major conferences decide to only play conference games, what happens to Independant teams like ND?
They realize that being an independent isn't always a good idea. Swofford has already said he would work with them. He didn't say exactly what that meant

ETA: This could be a good chance to show why they need to join. It wouldn't happen right away, but if it's played right it could help in the future.

Last edited:
It's a weird deal.. I am on the fence on what to think. I did notice that once Trump moved the convention to Florida the cases of the virus in Florida went nuts. Now is that just a coincidence, it could be. One thing I don't understand is how "experts" can change their mind about this thing so many times.

my thought exactly. Fundamentally the handling of this virus from start to finish by many experts is comical at best really. Much of the propaganda being spewed on both sides doesn’t past the eye nor sniff test. To be so sophisticated as a country/world medically and supposedly study these things all the time, we seemingly can’t figure out how it spreads, how to prevent it, but somehow can isolate the genomes in the virus that help form a vaccine that will be marketable in 9 months from US outbreak. Again, what the **** are we doing?

They realize that being an independent isn't always a good idea. Swofford has already said he would work with them. He didn't say exactly what that meant

ETA: This could be a good chance to show why they need to join. It wouldn't happen right away, but if it's played right it could help in the future.

No better time to force their hand into full membership or send them on their way to
The big 10. Truly, the ACC has so much power in this case if they’d exercise it.

my thought exactly. Fundamentally the handling of this virus from start to finish by many experts is comical at best really. Much of the propaganda being spewed on both sides doesn’t past the eye nor sniff test. To be so sophisticated as a country/world medically and supposedly study these things all the time, we seemingly can’t figure out how it spreads, how to prevent it, but somehow can isolate the genomes in the virus that help form a vaccine that will be marketable in 9 months from US outbreak. Again, what the **** are we doing?

I dont claim to have the answers. I'm not a doctor or a virus expert. I do know the technology exists to take the heart out of one person, lay it on the table, remove a bad heart from another person, put in the good heart and hook up the plumbing, get the good heart going again and the person is good to go... BUT this virus is confusing everyone in the medical field.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
I dont claim to have the answers. I'm not a doctor or a virus expert. I do know the technology exists to take the heart out of one person, lay it on the table, remove a bad heart from another person, put in the good heart and hook up the plumbing, get the good heart going again and the person is good to go... BUT this virus is confusing everyone in the medical field.
Apples and oranges, unfortunately. Viruses keep mutating and therein lies the rub.

Looks like an ACC only football schedule at best, expected to be announced today. I’ve about given up hope we’ll even play football or basketball this year. Our football program is truly snakebitten.

I heard a doctor on radio say that when you mix politics and medicine you end up with more politics. In medicine the facts are typically agreed upon and the analysis/conclusions can differ. In politics each side has its own facts.

Apples and oranges, unfortunately. Viruses keep mutating and therein lies the rub.

Looks like an ACC only football schedule at best, expected to be announced today. I’ve about given up hope we’ll even play football or basketball this year. Our football program is truly snakebitten.

I guess I was just pointing out how technology can do wonders in one area but a total fail in another.. both in the medical field.

Reactions: Archer2
Virus’ mutate yes but the core components of a certain sector of virus’ like the one we are dealing with now remains the same, hence the ability to target the spike protein, etc that allows it to enter human cells. The whole mutation thing is political speak to create a) fear and b) a never ending excuse as to why it’s not under control at various times yet we know enough about it to have 4 vaccines in at least the 2nd stage of trial with at least 1, maybe 2 to be on the market by year end, very early 2021. Read that last sentence again and tell me it makes sense. It doesn’t.....

I've actually become a Nascar fan because there is nothing else to watch

I heard a discussion about the conference only schedules today. Someone brought up that Iowa wouldn't be able to play Iowa State, but could travel to Rutgers or Ohio State.

I guess there no good solutions.

The ACC holding off for now is a smart decision. There's no need to make that call just yet.

Also remember, there are serious measures that can be taken before football has to be cancelled. Even playing in an empty stadium will make a lot more money than no games at all.

It would be a big problem in terms of eligibility too. If you give players an extra year of eligibility then rosters will get clogged up like crazy

Last edited:
ESPN is reporting right now that the power 5 had an emergency meeting yesterday and the ACC is holding one this morning and it’s likely the season is on the verge of being cancelled

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT