ADVERTISEMENT

2021 recruiting and commitments

I think we’re still pursuing Yousef Mugharbil. He’s playing his recruitment very close to the vest and there are no CB predictions yet. But if our class continues to improve, he could still pull the trigger for us. Who wouldn’t want to block for the offensive weapons we’re amassing? He also wants a good academic school and we fit the bill there. This would be a big get, literally and figuratively.

The guy I’m focused on is Ritzie. He’s going to be a very good player.

I think we’re still pursuing Yousef Mugharbil. He’s playing his recruitment very close to the vest and there are no CB predictions yet. But if our class continues to improve, he could still pull the trigger for us. Who wouldn’t want to block for the offensive weapons we’re amassing? He also wants a good academic school and we fit the bill there. This would be a big get, literally and figuratively.

The guy I’m focused on is Ritzie. He’s going to be a very good player.

We're not taking any more IOL. I don't think we were planning on taking any this class but they are really high on Wilson and Avery Jones is in the portal. So, that could be the hang up with Mugharbil.

We're not taking any more IOL. I don't think we were planning on taking any this class but they are really high on Wilson and Avery Jones is in the portal. So, that could be the hang up with Mugharbil.
On average, OL take longer to develop than any group and have a fairly high risk of debilitating injury. That all means that to be able to reload on the OL, rather than accepting down year or two to rebuild, you must recruit 3 or more high quality players each class.

The staff may think it can be perfectly fine taking just 2. If so, the staff is gambling in a most risky way not for 2021, but for 2023 and beyond. Searles's history as average OL coach in the ACC should mean that we choose to err with over-recruiting for the OL.

On average, OL take longer to develop than any group and have a fairly high risk of debilitating injury. That all means that to be able to reload on the OL, rather than accepting down year or two to rebuild, you must recruit 3 or more high quality players each class.

The staff may think it can be perfectly fine taking just 2. If so, the staff is gambling in a most risky way not for 2021, but for 2023 and beyond. Searles's history as average OL coach in the ACC should mean that we choose to err with over-recruiting for the OL.

We'll have three. We have two now: OT Eli Sutton, OG Jared Wilson. Taking one more OT. If you look at our OTs, and the ones we're recruiting, those guys have tall frames with long arms. Mugharbil will be an IOL in college. You also have to remember we aren't taking a full class.

Oh don't get me wrong, I want him to come to UNC in the worst way. I'm hoping Ritzie and one or two more will pull the trigger for us and entice Page to do likewise. Give him some time with Hess and he'll have him in playing form within a year.

The positive thing about him dropping so far in the rankings is that Clemson may be a little less enthusiastic in their recruiting of Page. One can only hope.

;)
Seriously doubt Clemson is gonna change their minds on Page based on a recruiting services rankings. The more telling fact is that Page is still the only d tackle Clemson has offered this cycle. Clemson is only taking one d tackle in '21 and Page has been the guy the entire time and will continue to be moving forward.

Seriously doubt Clemson is gonna change their minds on Page based on a recruiting services rankings. The more telling fact is that Page is still the only d tackle Clemson has offered this cycle. Clemson is only taking one d tackle in '21 and Page has been the guy the entire time and will continue to be moving forward.
Then why hasn't Page committed? If Clemson is his dream school and he's the only DT they're recruiting, what's stopping him from pulling the trigger?

#2 class for UNC is about to get better. Here. We. Go.

OIP.fvMNGrfHajqmxs_1EH0SpwAAAA

Reactions: uncfootball-
Then why hasn't Page committed? If Clemson is his dream school and he's the only DT they're recruiting, what's stopping him from pulling the trigger?
Clemson did not give Trenton Simpson a committable offer until the very end. The offer to Page may be one that is akin to 'semi-committable.' They have told him they want him to wait to commit until he is 100% certain he would never de-commit to go to stay at home with UNC. As Clemson apparently will take just 1 DT this class, that kind of demand for absolute certainty makes sense.

UNC does not have the stock pile Clemson does. That means we can't wait for the final days and then lose out. That is the reason I would take Tyleik Williams if Page persists on hanging with Clemson.

I would add this isn't as easy as some of you guys think. We aren't the only ones recruiting TID, Tyleik Williams, etc. Those are OOS guys and some of them like TID are waiting to visit.

I never said anything about dream schools, you're making things up. All I said is he's the only d tackle Clemson is recruiting and that wouldn't change based on recruiting rankings. He was never going to commit anywhere before late summer but you'll have to ask him why he's waiting until August to pick Clemson.

Shipley is going to announce today. ND people are all but certain the Irish are out. Most figure he is headed to Clemson.

I never said anything about dream schools, you're making things up. All I said is he's the only d tackle Clemson is recruiting and that wouldn't change based on recruiting rankings. He was never going to commit anywhere before late summer but you'll have to ask him why he's waiting until August to pick Clemson.
I never implied that you said Clemson was his dream school. I’ve heard they were the school he most wanted an off from, that’s all. He’s had it for a long time, why not pull the trigger?

We'll have three. We have two now: OT Eli Sutton, OG Jared Wilson. Taking one more OT. If you look at our OTs, and the ones we're recruiting, those guys have tall frames with long arms. Mugharbil will be an IOL in college. You also have to remember we aren't taking a full class.

The are 5 starters across an OL. It is easily the largest position group on a football team. OL for almost all programs means the most time to develop of any position group. Because there are lots of dings and bangs on the OL that cost halves and even a game or two, as well as season-ending injuries, you need to start every season with at least 3 reserves who can play well right then: 1 C,. 1G, 1T. It also means you need 3 or 4 guys ready to step into the 2nd squad 3some the second there is any injury.

The only way to have that number of OL players able to reload year after years is to sign what many fans, like those overly focused on players/positions that score TDs, feel is over-recruiting.

Even when you regularly sign 4* guys on the OL, you are going to need to RS about half of them their first year. Many of the RS freshman still won't be ready to make a serious run to crack that Top 8 unless the OL is the weak link of your offense, which you definitely do not want. Then, because of injury you can count on about a fourth of your total on the OL missing at least half a season in addition to any freshmen redshirting.

This 2021 crop on the OL that we have a very good chance to sign is the best group on the OL that UNC can sign in a very long time. We have missed the opportunity to get a commitment from Colby Smith, who is now a Vol commit. I would have taken his commitment as soon as I could have gotten it. If we do not land Logan Taylor, then our 2021 OL recruiting should be deemed mediocre at best, based on what was available. If we can land Mugharbil, it would be foolish not to take that 4 man-OL class. Also, I think Austin Barber probably will turn out to be good enough (barring injury) eventually to make a Top 8 on the OL of a ranked team. He is a late developer because of level of HS competition. So I probably would want him as a 4th OL commit if Mugharbil heads elsewhere. I would cut elsewhere to get the OL talent and depth.

Searles produced mediocre OLs with little proven depth at both VT and Miami. He often signed top 3* and some 4* players who failed to live up to expectations, meaning he all but certainly picked some guys he should not have and passed on some he should have picked.

Reactions: uncfootball-
The are 5 starters across an OL. It is easily the largest position group on a football team. OL for almost all programs means the most time to develop of any position group. Because there are lots of dings and bangs on the OL that cost halves and even a game or two, as well as season-ending injuries, you need to start every season with at least 3 reserves who can play well right then: 1 C,. 1G, 1T. It also means you need 3 or 4 guys ready to step into the 2nd squad 3some the second there is any injury.

The only way to have that number of OL players able to reload year after years is to sign what many fans, like those overly focused on players/positions that score TDs, feel is over-recruiting.

Even when you regularly sign 4* guys on the OL, you are going to need to RS about half of them their first year. Many of the RS freshman still won't be ready to make a serious run to crack that Top 8 unless the OL is the weak link of your offense, which you definitely do not want. Then, because of injury you can count on about a fourth of your total on the OL missing at least half a season in addition to any freshmen redshirting.

This 2021 crop on the OL that we have a very good chance to sign is the best group on the OL that UNC can sign in a very long time. We have missed the opportunity to get a commitment from Colby Smith, who is now a Vol commit. I would have taken his commitment as soon as I could have gotten it. If we do not land Logan Taylor, then our 2021 OL recruiting should be deemed mediocre at best, based on what was available. If we can land Mugharbil, it would be foolish not to take that 4 man-OL class. Also, I think Austin Barber probably will turn out to be good enough (barring injury) eventually to make a Top 8 on the OL of a ranked team. He is a late developer because of level of HS competition. So I probably would want him as a 4th OL commit if Mugharbil heads elsewhere. I would cut elsewhere to get the OL talent and depth.

Searles produced mediocre OLs with little proven depth at both VT and Miami. He often signed top 3* and some 4* players who failed to live up to expectations, meaning he all but certainly picked some guys he should not have and passed on some he should have picked.

They didn't miss on Smith. He was a life-long UNC fan and wanted to go to UNC but Sutton and Wilson committed first. Since then, they cooled off on Smith. UNC snagged 4 offensive linemen in 2020 and two more in this class. Also, we only lose two linemen from last years team. Not counting Avery Jones as he didn't sniff the rotation. I think they're more focused on other positions right now.

I agree with Woad, we need at least one more 4* OL in this class. Other than perhaps QB, is there any position more important than the OL? I say no.

I agree with Woad, we need at least one more 4* OL in this class. Other than perhaps QB, is there any position more important than the OL? I say no.
Just my opinion, but DL is more important than OL. That's what separates the SEC teams from the rest of the country. They get the best DLmen.

It's not sexy, but if you have a beast DT who can absorb blockers and allow the LBers access to the QB, it does so much for your defense. It can make an average secondary and LB corp look elite.

Just my opinion, but DL is more important than OL. That's what separates the SEC teams from the rest of the country. They get the best DLmen.

It's not sexy, but if you have a beast DT who can absorb blockers and allow the LBers access to the QB, it does so much for your defense. It can make an average secondary and LB corp look elite.

That is what they're focused on. Thig and Bateman want more guys in the front 7.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Dropped to #3 in national rankings on TOS, but I think our class is still better than Tennessee's. They've got a pair of 5* guys but we've got way more 4*'s
I'm expecting us to drop as more kids commit to other schools. If we can end up in the top 15, it will still be a great class. One of the best ever for us.

Reactions: matt 1976
I'm expecting us to drop as more kids commit to other schools. If we can end up in the top 15, it will still be a great class. One of the best ever for us.
We'll be in the Top 10. Rivals hands out bonuses for Top 250 recruits when calculating team class rankings. Rivals has Keeshawn Silver and RaRa Dillworth grossly underrated and have admitted as much in articles. When the player rankings stabilize, I expect us to be somewhere around 8 - 10 in the final rankings unless we have some de-commits.

DL depth is the most important factor in why SEC teams overall have an edge on teams from any other league. However, it is the OL that must deal with all that DL talent. If you do not have the depth on the OL, you cannot neutralize the top DLs.

UNC's DL haul in 2020 was excellent. It was not quite at Bama or Clemson level, but still an amazing rebuild. That means that with the class of 2020 we are not trying to build a DL from nothing. So there is no issue of taking 1 less OL to get more DL. If this were a weak class on the OL or we had no pull with the OL recruits in the class, it would not be the wisest move to take 4. But we've had major interest from several top prospects, and the Sutton story says that if we could get more of them to campus or at least face to face with Mack, we might even have more interest from top OL recruits.

You should sign at least 3 on the OL every class. We also have Avery Jones in the portal, which means we should sign 4 this class. If the staff was only going to sign 2 before Jones entered the portal, then the staff was wrong. Period. OL on average takes too long to develop to do risk that. A DL can be developed more quickly, though it needs even more depth ready to play every game.

Again, Searles was anything but a great success as OL coach at both VT and Miami. Fans of both ragged on him for failing to identify and land players, as well as going hard after players who never panned out. Is Searles, with that history, asserting that UNC is so loaded on the OL now that we do not need a Colby Smith or Yousef Mughabil?

I think we can finish somewhere in the top 10, depending on where some of our commits end up ranked, and whether or not we land a few more of top prospects on Mack's list.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT