ADVERTISEMENT

2021 recruiting and commitments

All is well that ends well, but it seems every year this decade we've been relying on walk-ons or frosh for the Center position at some point during the season. Quiron now, Jonathon Trull started games 2 yrs ago. Avery Jones, McCargo, Tommy Hatton didn't finish out, now Ty Murray - it's a real badge of honor to play center at UNC and graduate in pads.

Avery was never a Center, played G and DL in High School. UNC has def experienced some issues on the OL the past several years for one reason or another. However, I like the state of the OL right now.

All is well that ends well, but it seems every year this decade we've been relying on walk-ons or frosh for the Center position at some point during the season. Quiron now, Jonathon Trull started games 2 yrs ago. Avery Jones, McCargo, Tommy Hatton didn't finish out, now Ty Murray - it's a real badge of honor to play center at UNC and graduate in pads.
No kidding. I have to give Searels credit for successfully juggling his linemen to deal with injuries, while still maintaining continuity and chemistry.

Same goes for Bateman. He's had to deal with a lot of adversity and is doing his best to compensate. When your DL don't generate pressure on the QB, it then puts even more pressure on the DB's. We really need a dominant pass rusher who can get to the QB.

No kidding. I have to give Searels credit for successfully juggling his linemen to deal with injuries, while still maintaining continuity and chemistry.

Same goes for Bateman. He's had to deal with a lot of adversity and is doing his best to compensate. When your DL don't generate pressure on the QB, it then puts even more pressure on the DB's. We really need a dominant pass rusher who can get to the QB.

Evans is still raw but has a ton of potential. Silver (2021 class) is rated the 27th best player in the country. 6'6 275 and has an unbelievable motor -- I think he's got a great chance at starting game 1 on the DL for the Heels. Ritzie (2021 class) has a similar frame and will get a ton of snaps next year early. RaRa -- curious how they'll use him as he can play multiple positions on D. Echols is another guy I love as he's got a mean streak that we'll need in the middle of the D. Stevenson (2021 class) is another guy that is going to be a force on the DL as he shot up the recruiting rankings this past year. Add those dudes to Murphy, Pinder and Bingley Jones? Yes, please. These next two years are gonna be fun.

Reactions: Archer2
Bryce Watts has entered the transfer portal after transferring to UNC from Virginia Tech just last year. Opted out this season. Another spot opening up.

Bryce Watts has entered the transfer portal after transferring to UNC from Virginia Tech just last year. Opted out this season. Another spot opening up.
You could sorta see this coming. Another scholarship to give. If these guys foresee more PT somewhere else, good for them. There’s no doubt the competition level for PT has ramped up. Good luck young man.

A question With the limited ships left and it appearing that our last possible one being held for Nesbit a TE do we keep the option or maybe try and add defensive help? Like one of the recruits jumping off the sinking ship at lil Carolina. Couldn’t help but notice the need for quality oline and dline help after the ND debacle. Also we don’t really use the TE that much (unless I am wrong).

A question With the limited ships left and it appearing that our last possible one being held for Nesbit a TE do we keep the option or maybe try and add defensive help? Like one of the recruits jumping off the sinking ship at lil Carolina. Couldn’t help but notice the need for quality oline and dline help after the ND debacle. Also we don’t really use the TE that much (unless I am wrong).

Was it really a “debacle”? Ball across the 50 late in the 4Q with a chance to tie the game against the #2 team in the country. ND’s defense consists of 9 seniors / grad students, 1 junior and 1 sophomore. They have played in a combined 342 career games, they aren’t scrubs. Also, the D line didn’t play bad against ND. Outside of the one long run, they gave up under 4ypc to the RB’s. Silver, Ritzie, Stevenson, Dillworth, Echols coming in next year to provide depth in the front 7 along with 2 really good OL. They’ve got a few more scholarships available due to transfers so they can flip a guy or two or get a grad transfer. Nesbit is also a possibility.

Was it really a “debacle”? Ball across the 50 late in the 4Q with a chance to tie the game against the #2 team in the country. ND’s defense consists of 9 seniors / grad students, 1 junior and 1 sophomore. They have played in a combined 342 career games, they aren’t scrubs. Also, the D line didn’t play bad against ND. Outside of the one long run, they gave up under 4ypc to the RB’s. Silver, Ritzie, Stevenson, Dillworth, Echols coming in next year to provide depth in the front 7 along with 2 really good OL. They’ve got a few more scholarships available due to transfers so they can flip a guy or two or get a grad transfer. Nesbit is also a possibility.

We were pretty much handled on both lines. We have the DEs coming but no real DTs.

With nesbit’s commitment it’s a moot point now. I know we have kbj not playing this year and Pinder coming along so hopefully they will provide help until we get more depth.

We were pretty much handled on both lines. We have the DEs coming but no real DTs.

You do realize Notre Dame has really good players, right? Murphy, Pinder and Taylor are DT's and they might use Bingley Jones as a DT as he has a frame to put some weight on if need be.

Welcome Bryson Nesbit, who just committed! Raw athlete with a huge catch radius. Great addition to the 2021 class!
The TE is a rarely used, near after thought in Longo's offense. Morales, Copenhaven, and Karr all return. Also returning is 6-7 245 lb. Boaz, who is highly unlikely to ever make even 2nd team as a UNC QB and has perfect size to be a large TE.

And it is not likely that a 3* 'raw athlete' is going to be so good from day 1 that not only does he crack the depth chart but that would matter because Longo will change his offense to use the TE more.

The TE is a rarely used, near after thought in Longo's offense. Morales, Copenhaven, and Karr all return. Also returning is 6-7 245 lb. Boaz, who is highly unlikely to ever make even 2nd team as a UNC QB and has perfect size to be a large TE.

And it is not likely that a 3* 'raw athlete' is going to be so good from day 1 that not only does he crack the depth chart but that would matter because Longo will change his offense to use the TE more.

Cool. He’s actually a 4* kid, and the only 4* TE we’ll have on the roster next year. Nesbit will be there for 4 years, will Longo? Heels haven’t had a player like this at the position since Ebron. I assure you that he will be utilized in the offense with or without Longo. Great pickup for the Heels, whether you like it or not. And please don’t compare him to Boaz, not in the same stratosphere.

Last edited:
You do realize Notre Dame has really good players, right? Murphy, Pinder and Taylor are DT's and they might use Bingley Jones as a DT as he has a frame to put some weight on if need be.

No I didn’t realize that thanks for pointing that out. Of course I knew that. My point is if we don’t increase our talent on both lines we will continue to struggle against good teams or anybody really.

My point exactly with us not using the TE much either not that he wasn’t a good athlete with a lot of talent and potential we just need help along the lines more IMO.

No I didn’t realize that thanks for pointing that out. Of course I knew that. My point is if we don’t increase our talent on both lines we will continue to struggle against good teams or anybody really.

You seemed to act shocked they struggled with the #2 team in the country. They have signed 14 guys the last two years that play OL/DL.

You seemed to act shocked they struggled with the #2 team in the country. They have signed 14 guys the last two years that play OL/DL.

Not arguing that we haven’t signed guys but either we need quality over quantity or develop what we have better. For instance William Barnes a big time recruit can barely see the field. Just my opinion we need help on both lines if you don’t agree then that’s fine.

Not arguing that we haven’t signed guys but either we need quality over quantity or develop what we have better. For instance William Barnes a big time recruit can barely see the field. Just my opinion we need help on both lines if you don’t agree then that’s fine.

Develop what we have better, I mean two are freshman and one opted-out, but ok? I do agree we always need to build both lines, which they have. Remember, year two.

Not talking about more help with skilled players. Guess I lost you somewhere along the way.

Well you responded to my comment about Nesbit, who is a Tight End. But if you're talking about the lines, Bingley Jones, Pinder, Murphy, Evans, Echols, Ritzie, RaRa, Silver, Sutton, Pounds, Miller, West, Baker, Adorno. All are either guys on the Line/front 7 whom they've recruited the last 2 years that are high 3/4/5 stars. I'd say that is recruiting better players, no?

George Wilson has decommitted from South Carolina. His new top 3 is UNC, Auburn and FSU. He'll make his decision on December 18th. From his comments, it sounds like Auburn but we'll see.

I think we can all agree that we need help on both lines. Our defensive line was especially depleted from the last regime’s failure to bring in 4* DL. That has been addressed in spades by the current staff. Unfortunately, 2-3 of our brightest freshman DL have been injured and are just now being integrated into the rotation. But they are looking very good. I also think we can agree that a 4* interior OL might serve us a bit better than a TE, but when you can get a player of Nesbitt’s caliber at the 11th hour, you don’t turn him down. I had honestly given up hope on him. I think we can also agree that getting the TE position a little more involved would please us all.

As for Barnes, I had very high hopes for him. Unfortunately, all 4*’s don’t pan out. Despite what Woad says, I think it’s too early to judge Searles’ ability to develop a OL depth. Let me echo that sentiment with regard to Bateman. It’s year two of the rebuild guys!

Poor George Wilson out of VA in the class of 2021. He was leaning UNC....then committed to South Carolina.....Muschamp got fired......decommitted.....everyone is picking him to go to Auburn....and now Gus just got canned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT