ADVERTISEMENT

2021 recruiting and commitments

He was a 3* recruit who couldn’t crack the lineup. And that’s only going to get harder with the influx of defensive talent we have coming.

I just don’t like this transfer portal.

Portal sucks but is a way to help teams get better quicker. Wish the portal would include how many years each one has left to play and if it does I’ve missed it.

Reactions: Archer2
Gill didn't get a ton of snaps this past season with a position I would consider the weakest of the team. The talent coming in will only make it tougher to earn playing time. I understand why he would rather transfer than not play much. Hope it works out for him.

Reactions: blazers and Archer2
Gill didn't get a ton of snaps this past season with a position I would consider the weakest of the team. The talent coming in will only make it tougher to earn playing time. I understand why he would rather transfer than not play much. Hope it works out for him.
Exactly!

Mack and staff have really upgraded the talent on the defensive side of the ball. I mean major upgrade. Gill just saw the writing on the wall. BTW, I saw Gill was class of ‘17, so I guess he was a RSO.

Reactions: uncfootball-
Exactly!

Mack and staff have really upgraded the talent on the defensive side of the ball. I mean major upgrade. Gill just saw the writing on the wall. BTW, I saw Gill was class of ‘17, so I guess he was a RSO.

I saw that Clemson had 2 DT's hit the portal last night. BOTH were 4 stars guys out of high school.

2017 4-star RB Ty Chandler has entered the portal as a grad transfer after rushing for 2,046 yards and 13 TD at Tennessee; also had 58 rec for 465 yards and 3 TD.

UNC looks to be a spot for him according to Tennessee guys.

Not a knock on the guys transferring but Mack is going to be improving the roster for 2021.
And isn’t that what you have to try to do every year? Just keep amassing more talent and build quality depth. I’ll admit that I wasn’t sure hiring Mack was a good move. Have I ever been proven wrong!!! I knew the man had charisma, but good golly Miss Molly! The program turnaround has been amazing to watch so far, and it’s continuing right before our eyes.

I have zero info on where Ty Chandler is considering but I did read he ran a 4.32 last year. Not too shabby.

And isn’t that what you have to try to do every year? Just keep amassing more talent and build quality depth. I’ll admit that I wasn’t sure hiring Mack was a good move. Have I ever been proven wrong!!! I knew the man had charisma, but good golly Miss Molly! The program turnaround has been amazing to watch so far, and it’s continuing right before our eyes.

Next year the Heels could start 3 - 5 star and 8 - 4 star guys on defense with quality depth.

When I look at the probable starters next year I dont see a glaring weak spot. The d-line was coming along, those guys are back and add Bingley -Jones who is a sophomore age wise will help. LB's and secondary looks solid. O-line is back which makes the offense go.. QB, WR, RB look solid. This is not even considering some really good true freshmen that will arrive before fall camp. Like Mack said, we are about to be really good.

Well, Carter and Williams will leave a huge hole to be filled. I am hopeful a couple of our young backs will ”next up” and fill that void. Hopefully we’ll have Chandler to assist.

Well, Carter and Williams will leave a huge hole to be filled. I am hopeful a couple of our young backs will ”next up” and fill that void. Hopefully we’ll have Chandler to assist.

I do agree with your post. I am hoping the quality of the O-Line will help the running back situation be less of an issue.

I do agree with your post. I am hoping the quality of the O-Line will help the running back situation be less of an issue.
As are we all. Overall, I think we'll be improved everywhere except RB and WR. I think we can offset the losses at receiver easier than at running back. If we do get Ty Chandler, that would serve to mitigate the loss of Carter and Williams somewhat. An improved OL sure wouldn’t hurt.

You think Howell was going to flip from FSU to UNC if Fedora had been retained?

If so, then why commit to FSU at all?
You forget that FSU was a mess, Walt Bell was rumored to potentially return to UNC as OC and Sam and his parents loved UNC, & liked what Trubisky did here (including Trubisky's #2 draft spot).

Apparently Lancine Turay is also transferring. Like Gill, saw very few snaps this yr or last yr despite us being kinda needy at times on the DL.

Gill actually started a game (vs Wake?) last yr when Strowbridge was out due to injury, but otherwise he'd only play when the other guys were beyond gassed. He played in 11 games, 4 total tackles (1 QBH vs Cuse), but lots of those appearances were only special teams. After Hester/Murphy showed some things he never got reps.

Hopefully both find greener pastures.

If Beau comes back strong and the young guys develop then we could be loaded at WR again next year. Tons of talented guys on the depth chart, so you gotta figure at least one or two of them will pan out by next fall.

I won't be surprised if some WR's in the transfer portal consider Chapel Hill as a desirable destination. Get one season in with an elite QB who will be getting lots of attention from scouts, and you can be in a bunch of highlight reels and maybe move yourself up the board.

If we were able to add a top level RB through the transfer portal then I think we start really looking like a serious threat to knock off Clemson.

Nyles Pinckney SR 1 yr. elig.
Jordan Williams RJR 2 yrs elig.

Not sure if there’s interest. Both were 4* recruits out of high school, Pinckney from SC and Williams from VA.

Seems to be interest from UNC on Williams. Not sure if Williams is interested in the Heels.

I heard we have 5 spots avail for high schoolers, grad xfer, xfer or to put a British Brooks on scholarship.

ADVERTISEMENT