ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Yes we did, at least better than we have seen since Roy stepped down. But we consistently slowed that pace when Cadeau went to the bench. With RJ at the point we ran the ball opportunistically, with Cadeau he looked to push it no matter what. Look as an example at that bama game, Cadeau played a lot in that first half and the pace got really hot, bama wanted to run and we did to, we scored 54pts and took a nice lead ion to the half. Second half, Cadeau spends most of it in the bench, bama still wants to push it but we don't, we lose?
We scored way more points with Cadeau on the bench than in the game in the first half of the Alabama game.

The portal hits some harder than others. Indiana State's new coach said "right now we have 2 guys on the roster and 1 walk on. 😆 Good luck coach.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
We scored way more points with Cadeau on the bench than in the game in the first half of the Alabama game.
I don't have the stats up to half time to agree or disagree with you but I do know this, Cadeau played little in the second half and as a team we did not play well at all.

Reactions: al would
I don't have the stats up to half time to agree or disagree with you but I do know this, Cadeau played little in the second half and as a team we did not play well at all.
Stats have been posted many times. But I believe it was we had 17 points with Cadeau in during the first half in 8 minutes. 34 without him.

I'd have to go look at the breakdown again someone posted.

I believe we had 1 point for UNC in 5 minutes he played in the second half.

13 minutes with 18 points he was in to my recollection.

Reactions: dtodd4475
Oregon State guard Jordan Pope has had a chat with UNC. What does this mean for EC and RJ ? Both gone?

I'm going to sound like Captain Obvious, but the teams that execute the best in the halfcourt (offensively and defensively) are the ones that typically have the best chance to make a run in the tournament. The teams that could execute in the halfcourt had staying power, or staying potential in the tournament. The ones that didn't did not or could not. I think it's somewhat irrelevant how fast or slow you play if you don't execute in the halfcourt consistently.
thanks, Captain Obvious.

Stanford's Maxime Raynaud is staying with Stanford.

Good save by whoever their new coach is.

ETA: Kyle Smith is the new coach. Moving from Washington St, where he is the PAC-12's last COY.

Maybe Stanford won't be such a lame addition to the ACC, after all.

We scored 17 points in the first half with Cadeau on the floor in. So 37 points without Cadeau on the floor in the 1st half.
Yet again, I don't have the half time stats but 1, 54pts and a nice lead in a half where our starting PG got decent minutes and we lose the game as our starting PG got, what did you say, 5mins? Nip around the edges all you want but your point seems to be that this team was better without Cadeau and I find that very wrong.

Have any of our underclassmen entered their names into the draft? Harrison and RJ should certainly test the waters, imo, even if they plan to return.

Maybe Cadeau, too. I mean just because his freshman season underwhelmed compared with a lot of exuberant predictions, doesn't mean the pros won't want a look at him, give him tips, and might even decide to draft him. He is darn good, after all.

Anyone else? Withers? Washington?

Frankly, it might do Washington a lot of good to get feedback from above.

As I understand it, there's no downside. So why not?

I'm surprised we haven't been linked to more potential Harrison Ingram replacements. Strong comboforward who can start at PF but slide to SF as needed. Adou Theiro is the only guy who fits that description that we've been linked to.

I don't want to see us end up relying on Withers as a starter.

Both gone no but this kid really looks like a great fit at what 6'3"? Telling ya now, I like this kid and Green from bama, both higher on my list than Tyson. Frankly, I would take this kid if we could get him and tell RJ, do what you need to do, we had to make sure we were covered and we may not have been able to get this kid had we waited. With Tyson, I just can't shake the thought that he could be Paxon 2.0.

How did we make the mistake thinking Okonwo would help us. He clearly was not a factor for the Heels. Just wondering how we thought he was worth the scholorship. That said, good luck to the young man. Appears to be a great teammate and a great guy.

How did we make the mistake thinking Okonwo would help us. He clearly was not a factor for the Heels. Just wondering how we thought he was worth the scholorship. That said, good luck to the young man. Appears to be a great teammate and a great guy.
We had 3 open scholarships.

Bob Huggins got fired and most of the WVU roster hit the portal.

A very young and somewhat promising center became available. He played quite well for Team England in the FIBA games over the summer.

Armando Bacot had repeatedly been forced to play through ankle injuries to keep UNC afloat for 2 straight seasons. Jalen Washington was a huge question mark because of his injury history. We needed an insurance policy. A 3rd string center who could play if injuries sidelined the first two guys.

Most portal entrants are looking for the best NIL deal and the most prominent role. It's not easy to convince someone to come sit on the bench and just be emergency depth.

Okonkwo was not a mistake. He did exactly what was expected. He worked hard, was a great teammate, and he simply was never called upon because no one ahead of him got hurt.

Considering we gave 2 scholarships to walk-ons, Okonkwo was certainly worth the scholarship he got. If nothing else he helped Bacot and Washington in practice by giving them a legit D1 banger to practice against. He did more for the team than either of the scholarship walk-ons did.

Hope that clears things up.

Yes it does make sense. Thanks for the explanation. Hope he gets the opportunity he deserves.

He played quite well for Team England in the FIBA games over the summer.
This. I saw those clips and thought he could help us. Then early on, he looked pretty lost in the the minutes he got. But he showed enough athleticism that I thought he could get there, eventually.

He did seem to improve through the season, but never played enough to know for sure. And he was playing for a guy who benched Cadeau and Trimble in the tournament, so what chance was he ever going to get?

Akron does seem like an odd place to land. Glancing at their record in recent years, they're not bad for a small school. But still, Akron?

It would be interesting to know how that happened. I mean how does a guy from England, playing in WVa and then NC even know Akron exists?

Davidson's Skogman (6'10 235 senior) missed the 2nd half of the season after an injury, so who knows? Then again, we have several scholarships to give, so maybe as our 2nd big guy from the portal? Healthy, he's seriously good from deep and doesn't mind mixing it up inside.

Is McKillop's son as good a coach as his father? If so, Skogman should come with good habits.

His 3-pt shooting (around 30% of his attempts):

senior = 46.8
junior = 36.9
soph = 41.4
frosh = 46.7

Last edited:
I know it will never happen but if Mark Mitchell hadn't played for Duke, I'd want to grab him. Yeah, yeah, his 3-pt shooting needs a lot of help, but he has a great motor, is fearless, and a tough defender. He tallied the second most MVPs (7) on a team with NBA-bound Filipowski (10) and McCain (6).

He’d have to take one very long shower prior to ever be considered. Perhaps a day long Hibiclens soaking tub would help as well. And lots of deodorant.

On paper, Norchad Omier would be the perfect replacement if Ingram goes. Would rather have Ingram stay though.

He’d have to take one very long shower prior to ever be considered. Perhaps a day long Hibiclens soaking tub would help as well. And lots of deodorant.
you could have him sandblasted and never get that dookie stink off of him. And I'd hate for the dookies to be able to say we beat them because we had a dookie on our team. I do understand the temptation in the thought of it. The thought of having him sandblasted I mean, not of having him on our team.

On paper, Norchad Omier would be the perfect replacement if Ingram goes. Would rather have Ingram stay though.
Both can play inside or out but Omier is much more of an inside player - or at least that's how he was used at Miami - maybe more out of necessity than fit. I think they would do very well on the floor at the same time.

Reactions: RoseHeel
So Aidoo's FT % has dropped significantly each year his usage has gone up. He's not a particularly physical center. He's not a particularly great shotblocker. He doesn't have any perimeter offensive skills.

I know we need to cover our bases. But I hope we get literally any of the centers we have reached out to instead of Aidoo.

What bout the 7' 2 guy from UK .. I see he's in the portal Zvonimir Ivisic .. thoughts.. he gonna follow Cal .. maybe Hubert has / should reach out to him

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT