ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Once he meets with teams and goes through workouts he will be seen as a great energy guy who can knock down 3s, rebound and be 7-8 in a lineup. Perfect bench player for a really good team.

I completely agree that he’s the kind of kid that will excel in the interview portion. And I agree that he will make a team better with a leadership/teammate role. Just not sure a GM will risk a pick on him instead of a more talented player who can have more of an impact on the court. I’ll miss HI greatly. One of my favorite players in recent memory despite his short stay.

Once he meets with teams and goes through workouts he will be seen as a great energy guy who can knock down 3s, rebound and be 7-8 in a lineup. Perfect bench player for a really good team.
I think his main question marks are his handles and his foot speed. You could see the dribbling issues anytime he tried to lead the fast break. There would inevitably be a really high dribble where he almost lost the ball, followed by the opposing coach screaming for a carry. In our halfcourt offense he was never able to have the speed to blow by his man, even when guarded by a bigger PF.

But he does so many other things well. And the NBA loves players who can guard multiple positions and make 3s. He has some of the same things that make Draymond Green a good player, without any of the mental problems.

Reactions: Heelicious
27 is the highest projected spot I’ve seen for him. Most others are in the 30s. So I don’t know if i would say he’s “definitely” a first rounder. But if so, good for him.
Right. I’ve rarely if ever looked at nba draft boards bc I don’t care for nba much, but maybe people look at drafts based on college guys they know, and possibly overlook foreign guys to fill draft spots. It’s not that hard to imagine 30 + guys with more current skills or even more importantly- visualized POTENTIAL- if you think of the kids coming out of Kentucky dook UConn Houston etc - plus really good guys on teams that didn’t even make the tourney. Again I think scouts can easily list 30 guys worldwide with their name in the draft with better current or potential all around nba skill fit than HI. And HI is one of my favorites on this heels team for what he brings and how he plays.

Why?

He is a terrible outside shooter. It allows opposing teams to shrink the floor defensively.

Don't we have enough evidence now to realize that putting a non-shooter at the 4 is poison for Hubert's offense?
Put Jalen outside and Mitchell in the post.

Agreed. Ingram is never a lottery pick or even a sure fire first rounder. I find it hard believe he’s seen as a borderline first rounder now. But if he has a team tell him he’ll be a first round pick, he’s gotta go. Thats the best it’s ever gonna get for him.
If I were Ingram I would go pro. He's coming off by far his most efficient season and it was efficient enough that some NBA teams will think he 3PT shot this season will translate to the NBA. I'm a little bearish on Ingram as a pro since he cannot dribble but he does enough things well where I think he'll make it. Not sure he'll stick around though. He isn't an explosive athlete, not overly twitchy or sudden either. And before anyone assumes his 3PT shot will translate to the NBA... Draymond Green shot 37% and 39% from 3 as a JR/SR, then became a career 31.8% 3PT shooter in the NBA with four seasons below 30%. IMO, Ingram has some regression potential from 3 next year at UNC. He only shot 31.5% from 3 in conference play, so more risk coming back IMO.

I don't view him as Draymond Green. He isn't that dynamic.

Agreed. Kids need to go where they can get max PT which can lead to NIL$.

I hate tho that we don’t now have a lockdown guy who we could put on a hot scorer even bigger guys than Seth and he stone cold shut them down. Those guys are rare - add I don’t like our prospects of finding a replacement.

And I hate us relying on flat outscoring everyone because offense / shooting comes and goes but defense is more constant because it’s just so much about effort heart and guts - which Seth had in abundance.
Personally don't think it's a gigantic loss depending on who we bring in. We needed to upgrade the bench and find some scoring from there. Might not be the time nor place to say that, but being gonest.

Also, IMO offense is much more transferrable than defense. It's been 10 years since a team outside the top in offensive efficiency has won the National Championship. Everyone always says "defensive wins championships" but a great offensive team usually has much more margin for error than a limited offensive team that's great defensively.

For me, it's similar with players too.

Put Jalen outside and Mitchell in the post.
Mitchell isn't a post player. He is good at using his athleticism to get garbage buckets.

And while Jalen has a pretty jumpshot, he doesn't possess the dribbling or passing to work exclusively on the perimeter. He can't take his man off the dribble if the defender takes away the jumper, and he's very susceptible to turnovers from pressure D. Washington's best offensive move is still setting up just off the block and knocking down the midrange jumper.

Personally don't think it's a gigantic loss depending on who we bring in. We needed to upgrade the bench and find some scoring from there. Might not be the time nor place to say that, but being gonest.

Also, IMO offense is much more transferrable than defense. It's been 10 years since a team outside the top in offensive efficiency has won the National Championship. Everyone always says "defensive wins championships" but a great offensive team usually has much more margin for error than a limited offensive team that's great defensively.

For me, it's similar with players too.
UConn's coach just got done saying he completely stopped worrying about defense and focused exclusively on offense to start this season. Of course it's easy to do that with Clingan in the paint.

If I were Ingram I would go pro. He's coming off by far his most efficient season and it was efficient enough that some NBA teams will think he 3PT shot this season will translate to the NBA. I'm a little bearish on Ingram as a pro since he cannot dribble but he does enough things well where I think he'll make it. Not sure he'll stick around though. He isn't an explosive athlete, not overly twitchy or sudden either. And before anyone assumes his 3PT shot will translate to the NBA... Draymond Green shot 37% and 39% from 3 as a JR/SR, then became a career 31.8% 3PT shooter in the NBA with four seasons below 30%. IMO, Ingram has some regression potential from 3 next year at UNC. He only shot 31.5% from 3 in conference play, so more risk coming back IMO.

I don't view him as Draymond Green. He isn't that dynamic.
Jamie Jaquez with worse handles.

No, seriously, Ingram fits the mould of seasoned players who'll do anything to make their team better. The draft success of teams like Miami point to a need for character guys, team guys which is what Ingram is.

Unless you're picking top 3 or top 10 (depending on the depth of the draft) then you'll want to draft a player with good character, and a proven difference maker..... lots of 6-7 athletic freaks wash out of the NBA within 2-3 years simply because they don't have the guts to keep working once they get there.

Indiana State's really solid team this year just basically had their entire team enter. Thier coach left a week or so ago too, to St. Louis. He said Indiana State's paltry 3 to 400 thousand NIL available money was a major reason.

Some players in that group, it will be interesting if they follow their coach, or go to bigger schools, who will certainly be wooing them.

UConn's coach just got done saying he completely stopped worrying about defense and focused exclusively on offense to start this season. Of course it's easy to do that with Clingan in the paint.
I always thought this was Roy’s best teams. You weren’t going to out score him. Get some athletic stops at times and run everyone out of the gym. I miss those days, and all that talent.

I always thought this was Roy’s best teams. You weren’t going to out score him. Get some athletic stops at times and run everyone out of the gym. I miss those days, and all that talent.
Jackson and Powell are top 10 recruits. Cadeau was a top 10 recruit in 2024 before he reclassed. If we were to hypothetically add Aaron Bradshaw, he was ranked in the top 5 of the 2023 class. We could hypothetically see a team with Roy-esque talent next year.

But the offseasons in the new era are so crazy with the transfer rules and NIL, we'll have to wait quite a while to assess next year's roster.

Jackson and Powell are top 10 recruits. Cadeau was a top 10 recruit in 2024 before he reclassed. If we were to hypothetically add Aaron Bradshaw, he was ranked in the top 5 of the 2023 class. We could hypothetically see a team with Roy-esque talent next year.

But the offseasons in the new era are so crazy with the transfer rules and NIL, we'll have to wait quite a while to assess next year's roster.
And I guess that’s part of my point too. They need to stay a few years, which ain’t happening anymore.

And I guess that’s part of my point too. They need to stay a few years, which ain’t happening anymore.
Cadeau will be a 2nd year college player. Same with Bradshaw. I'd expect Powell to be a multi-year player. Jackson is the only one I'd feel comfortable predicting as a one and done.

Kinda shocked to read that some are ready for RJ leave I’ll have him back. Did see where Kelley from the wbb team has entered the portal so he may follow one way or another

Kinda shocked to read that some are ready for RJ leave I’ll have him back. Did see where Kelley from the wbb team has entered the portal so he may follow one way or another
Truth be told it’s time for RJ to move on…We ain’t beating the elite teams with 2 6 foot guards…It’s not going to happen…

Coach Davis knows that as well…

Reactions: RP12
Dude with good connections over on IC said multiple players from one team just reached out to UNC.

We're at the top of the food chain. Players (or their reps) reach out to us to let us know they are interested.
Hope that team is Creighton

We are in no position right now to eagerly give up 22 ppg.
That’s what the Portal is for…Johnell Davis is someone Coach Davis should be reaching out to…6’4 SG FAU…The NCAA Title runs thru UCONN right now and I just don’t believe you can beat them with 2 guards that are 6ft…Have to get bigger at the 2 spot for sure…

Reactions: DSouthr
That’s what the Portal is for…Johnell Davis is someone Coach Davis should be reaching out to…6’4 SG FAU…The NCAA Title runs thru UCONN right now and I just don’t believe you can beat them with 2 guards that are 6ft…Have to get bigger at the 2 spot for sure…
He may sewed up going to Michigan with Coaah May.

RJ Davis would be the frontrunner for National Player of the Year if he returned since Edey and Knecht are gone. But you want to run him off for a guy who played poorly in his team's 1st round loss to Northwestern? Dude had 9 turnovers and shot 37% in a first round loss to fricking Northwestern.

GTFOH

Reactions: UNCHUSKER
RJ Davis would be the frontrunner for National Player of the Year if he returned since Edey and Knecht are gone. But you want to run him off for a guy who played poorly in his team's 1st round loss to Northwestern? Dude had 9 turnovers and shot 37% in a first round loss to fricking Northwestern.

GTFOH
Well if that’s the case and we are judging players on 1 game…RJ was 0-9 from 3 against Bama…Nobody wants to run RJ off..I just don’t believe you can win the Title with small guards…UNC has never won a Title with 2 guys 6 ft in the backcourt…

Reactions: RP12
Well if that’s the case and we are judging players on 1 game…RJ was 0-9 from 3 against Bama…Nobody wants to run RJ off..I just don’t believe you can win the Title with small guards…UNC has never won a Title with 2 guys 6 ft in the backcourt…
I agree. RJ isn't the kind of player who is going to carry you through multiple games against top teams. He could be a great piece but his numbers would likely be lower next year if the team is better overall, and his minutes at PG are killers against good teams.

In team sports is always more complicated than numbers when a player joins or leaves a team. The leadership dynamic, and Hubert's approach to how we play could change and be bigger than the add/subtract from the one position. Did UNC gain or lose more between '16 and '17? Did Tennessee get better by losing Peyton Manning? I don't claim to know what the leadership dynamic was with the core group that is almost gone. My gut from what we saw was that transfers were our best leaders in our successful HD years so far-Manek and Ingram/Ryan. Hell on paper we would have been better off with Love staying last year but we all know it wasn't working. We don't know what positive impact could come from RJ leaving even though he seems to be a great kid.

Reactions: Kool1234567
I agree. RJ isn't the kind of player who is going to carry you through multiple games against top teams. He could be a great piece but his numbers would likely be lower next year if the team is better overall, and his minutes at PG are killers against good teams.

In team sports is always more complicated than numbers when a player joins or leaves a team. The leadership dynamic, and Hubert's approach to how we play could change and be bigger than the add/subtract from the one position. Did UNC gain or lose more between '16 and '17? Did Tennessee get better by losing Peyton Manning? I don't claim to know what the leadership dynamic was with the core group that is almost gone. My gut from what we saw was that transfers were our best leaders in our successful HD years so far-Manek and Ingram/Ryan. Hell on paper we would have been better off with Love staying last year but we all know it wasn't working. We don't know what positive impact could come from RJ leaving even though he seems to be a great kid.
That’s why out of all the guys that can come back I want Ingram back…Kid is a dog and a leader for this team…

Holy smokes the under appreciation, underselling, belittling, demeaning, taking for granted what RJ gave us last year asTHE offense mostly - and a great leader - is next level insanity, insulting.

First team AA and in top 3 for POY. Was top shooting guard in the nation. Top ACC POY over flipcow and others more highly touted.

But let’s just kick him to the curb because he may not be the magical 6’ ? Or he may be called to run the offense occasionally ? The horrors!

He did all he accomplished this year at whatever his height was this year. thinking we’re getting some top 3 guy in the nation thru the portal that checks the box for being taller than 6 feet - is DELUSIONAL.

We end up getting someone in portal who delivers half of what RJ does and is a worse shooter, shot creator, scorer - it’s all good as long as he’s 6’5”.

Holy smokes the under appreciation, underselling, belittling, demeaning, taking for granted what RJ gave us last year asTHE offense mostly - and a great leader - is next level insanity, insulting.

First team AA and in top 3 for POY. Was top shooting guard in the nation. Top ACC POY over flipcow and others more highly touted.

But let’s just kick him to the curb because he may not be the magical 6’ ? Or he may be called to run the offense occasionally ? The horrors!

He did all he accomplished this year at whatever his height was this year. thinking we’re getting some top 3 guy in the nation thru the portal that checks the box for being taller than 6 feet - is DELUSIONAL.

We end up getting someone in portal who delivers half of what RJ does and is a worse shooter, shot creator, scorer - it’s all good as long as he’s 6’5”.
Fanatics have very short memories. But, they're also the best coaches and gm's that just need a team or athletic director to hire them.

Sorry to tell you all but if Hubert had to choose RJ at the 1 or Cadeau at the 1 next year and could only have one, he chooses RJ. And he should.

Not a knock on Cadeau but RJ is one of the best players in college basketball.

There is zero scenario where RJ leaving is better for the team.

Reactions: chickenhunter
That’s why out of all the guys that can come back I want Ingram back…Kid is a dog and a leader for this team…

I don't disagree (although again, RJ is the ACC POY and offers 22 ppg) but of everyone that can come back, Ingram is the least likely.

Total straw man argument. Do you think he’ll be much better next year?

There is absolutely no way to know whether the team could be better next year even if RJ leaves. We can’t play it both ways so we’ll never know. We do have one season with him playing the best he ever has and a ton of experienced college talent around him that ended in the Sweet 16. He could come back and the team be even better with new pieces but if he is THE offense why would you expect better results?

Total straw man argument. Do you think he’ll be much better next year?

There is absolutely no way to know whether the team could be better next year even if RJ leaves. We can’t play it both ways so we’ll never know. We do have one season with him playing the best he ever has and a ton of experienced college talent around him that ended in the Sweet 16. He could come back and the team be even better with new pieces but if he is THE offense why would you expect better results?
See what @imajericho said above. I don’t know how anyone puts it more succinctly or definitively right.

So RJ has maybe the worst game of his career in S16 and somehow we are to take that as the most characteristic game to define all RJ was / contributed this year and would contribute next? Like RJ alone is the single setter of our ceiling at S16? We can’t get beyond S16 with RJ on the team, based on this years very ill timed fluke?

Just me but I am not down with that logic and reasoning and justification for NOT trying with all our might to bring RJ next year. “ We could be better off without RJ” is crazy IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT