ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Thread

From the clips I watched, I hate to think of Cade playing much, if any, at PF.

Sure, he showed a willingness and success at going inside for Belmont. But he was taking advantage of people who had to take his outside shot very seriously. I don't think he should be playing inside much as a default position. Then again, with his shooting, could he be a shorter Brady Manek?

Manek had the advantage of playing with Armando in the middle. Cade won't have that luxury, unless one of our bigs manages to fill that hole better than I currently expect. Could happen.
I'm with you, it is hard to picture. So i guess the "smaller Manek" is the role, but probably even more screens for him. I have trouble seeing him defending bigger, stronger 4s (and shudder at post switches onto 5s)

Recap:
Teams out there had to retool their entire rosters and managed to get multiple peeps. Teams out there got new coaches and players they had already recruited or signed opted to go with them. Teams out there had no ethical center + wide open, deep pockets and were willing to pay mercenaries and got them. OK, good for them!

UNC had 3 open schollys and exactly 2 needs: Shooting and a Big who can contribute. 1. Hubs got arguably the best shooter in the portal AND he won't cause further PT angst at 2! (and he is willing to compete at wing)
2. Hubs got a D1 starting Big who is willing to compete without a promise of starting and will not cause PT angst in our front court!
3. Both guys can play and defend multiple positions and are coachable!

So that is called a failure???? I'm mystified as to what success would have been. Hubs went after and missed on 2 peeps and got the third he went after so.....Oh, and 2 peeps who others called misses dropped out of the draft and are dying for some Tar Heel love but Hubs is a failure.......Entitlement must be one heck of a drug!
The other real aspect where we actually had a great portal season that folks rarely talk about is that UNC had only 2 guys enter the portal and the one that really mattered came back to us.

Recap:
Teams out there had to retool their entire rosters and managed to get multiple peeps. Teams out there got new coaches and players they had already recruited or signed opted to go with them. Teams out there had no ethical center + wide open, deep pockets and were willing to pay mercenaries and got them. OK, good for them!

UNC had 3 open schollys and exactly 2 needs: Shooting and a Big who can contribute. 1. Hubs got arguably the best shooter in the portal AND he won't cause further PT angst at 2! (and he is willing to compete at wing)
2. Hubs got a D1 starting Big who is willing to compete without a promise of starting and will not cause PT angst in our front court!
3. Both guys can play and defend multiple positions and are coachable!

So that is called a failure???? I'm mystified as to what success would have been. Hubs went after and missed on 2 peeps and got the third he went after so.....Oh, and 2 peeps who others called misses dropped out of the draft and are dying for some Tar Heel love but Hubs is a failure.......Entitlement must be one heck of a drug!
So TP, l just performed my own clearinghouse portal of ALLEGED TAR HEEL RADAR “CAROLINA” FANS WHO HAVE NOW BEEN SELECTED TO BE IGNORED BY ME.

They have a wide range of moan and groan skills, but unless they consistently whine, complain, kvetch, denigrate our program, act like they know more than our staff, gripe about our NIL process, and always expect nothing but Final Fours for Carolina, they won’t be in my portal. My starters and reserves have already been selected and are practicing hard, as evidenced by the plethora of their comments in many different threads.

For those that made my IGNORE BUTTON PORTAL, congratulations and please feel free to continue your negative, entitled, glass-half-empty perspective. BTW, don’t bother quoting and replying to this rant; you’re already on IGNORE and my roster is set.

For this University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill alumnus, it’s always a GDTBATH!

If Hawkins is too expensive and these guys are gone, are there any others we should be looking at?

How about Arthur Kaluma?

There are still 2 excellent, taller SFs on the board, the last I checked. Watkins looks all but gone, but how about Jaylen Wells? Then again, why would he want to go somewhere where he'd have to play PF? It worked out for Ingram, but Ingram was strong like bull.

Last week I would have put the odds we were done at 90%. With Onyenso gone it's more like 99.9%.
You need to take a 4 month nap and return in Oct refreshed.
WE. Are. Not. Adding. Anyone. Else.........
Yet, You have the same post each week

So TP, l just performed my own clearinghouse portal of ALLEGED TAR HEEL RADAR “CAROLINA” FANS WHO HAVE NOW BEEN SELECTED TO BE IGNORED BY ME.

They have a wide range of moan and groan skills, but unless they consistently whine, complain, kvetch, denigrate our program, act like they know more than our staff, gripe about our NIL process, and always expect nothing but Final Fours for Carolina, they won’t be in my portal. My starters and reserves have already been selected and are practicing hard, as evidenced by the plethora of their comments in many different threads.

For those that made my IGNORE BUTTON PORTAL, congratulations and please feel free to continue your negative, entitled, glass-half-empty perspective. BTW, don’t bother quoting and replying to this rant; you’re already on IGNORE and my roster is set.

For this University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill alumnus, it’s always a GDTBATH!
My ignore list is almost as big as the portal already! I come on here to have fun and discuss my beloved Heels! If I want to listen to ignoramuses talking smack about my team, I'll put on a hazmat suit and visit the puke den!

Reactions: UNC-75

Can I be on your "blue steel" squad? I'll work real hard in practice!😂

UNC had 3 open schollys and exactly 2 needs: Shooting and a Big who can contribute.
You're trying to get gaslight people by saying UNC simply needed "a big who can contribute."
The staff wanted a starting center, preferably one of the top defensive centers in the portal. What UNC got was a 6'8" power forward, who was way down their list of preferred targets, but who will likely spend most of the season having to guard all the bruising centers and 7-footers we come across.

You can't spin that as a success. All our center options are either short (Lubin, Withers) or weak and foul prone (Washington, High.) It's an obvious weakness our opponents are going to attack.

From the clips I watched, I hate to think of Cade playing much, if any, at PF.

Sure, he showed a willingness and success at going inside for Belmont. But he was taking advantage of people who had to take his outside shot very seriously. I don't think he should be playing inside much as a default position. Then again, with his shooting, could he be a shorter Brady Manek?

Manek had the advantage of playing with Armando in the middle. Cade won't have that luxury, unless one of our bigs manages to fill that hole better than I currently expect. Could happen.
Tyson is going to play a lot of 4. Having a stretch 4 who can consistently knock down the 3 point shot seems crucial to the success of Hubert's system. Manek and Ingram shot the 3 ball well and their teams won. Nance and Leaky didn't shoot well and that squad struggled.

Unless Withers starts consistently knocking down the 3, Tyson is going to be our best option. And honestly with Cadeau, Davis, Trimble, Jackson, and Powell we have so much guard talent that playing Tyson at the 4 just makes sense.

Reactions: tarwhiz
It will be interesting, as to who steps up and in what capacity. We most likely will have a really small team for a good chunk of the time on the floor, going to have to shoot it, and defend on the perimeter.

There will be minutes to earn this year 3 through 5. Show out and separate from the pack with a needed skill. Got my fingers crossed with Tyson, and Cap Jack being a special frosh.

It will be interesting, as to who steps up and in what capacity. We most likely will have a really small team for a good chunk of the time on the floor, going to have to shoot it, and defend on the perimeter.

There will be minutes to earn this year 3 through 5. Show out and separate from the pack with a needed skill. Got my fingers crossed with Tyson, and Cap Jack being a special frosh.
I agree that we will probably be playing a considerable amount of small ball. But we also have the possible option of rolling out Washington, Lubin, Tyson, RJ and EC. Not a huge lineup by any means but not small either. Both Seth and Ian make us even a little bit bigger when our one or two subs out for rest.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Yup. Most of our talent is on the perimeter. We'll play small and hope other teams can't match up.

If Jonas can get Tyson to add significant muscle to play the 4, and if he can get Washington to add significant muscle so he's not overpowered by strong centers, that will help us a lot.

You need to take a 4 month nap and return in Oct refreshed.
WE. Are. Not. Adding. Anyone. Else.........
Yet, You have the same post each week
What? Are you having a bad day?

I didn't have you pegged as someone who has nothing better to do than piss on posters who try to have decent conversations.

I'm glad the roster is done! Adding even one more guy (unless he is a developmental back of the rotation dude) would cause more chemistry + PT angst than it would be worth IMO! I figured from the beginning we would try to get two peeps and I love the fact that Hubs got exactly what the team needed with both!

Sorry
I apologize for pointing out your redundancy.
We just are not adding
Which I already put at 99.9% in the very comment that you were snarky about. Making your continued belaboring of the point needless assholery.

But thanks for the apology that wasn't really an apology. It's a start. Maybe you can improve on that in the future.

The "expert" guest on TOS makes a good argument for this starting/top PT lineup. He also gives the first reasons I've heard for Cade starting at the 4 (or at least defending the 4).

It also sounds like a small lineup. So here's a fresh look at how big we might be compared with last year's starters.

Size-wise, we're basically the same at PG, SG and SF. Which is to say, smallish. But plenty talented. Up front we give up height in the post and weight at both spots.

Last season, Pomeroy ranked us very near the national average in height at #161 and 77.2"

Apologies to those who think topics and viewpoints should never be repeated. :)

2024 Player2024 Hgt - Wt2025 Hgt - Wt2025 Player
Elliot6'1 - 1806'1 - 180Elliot
RJ6'0 - 1806'0 - 180RJ
Cormac6'5 - 1956'5 - 185Ian
Harrison6'7 - 2356'7 - 205Cade
Armando6'11 - 2406'8 - 230Ven-Allen

It wasn't super frequent, but it was common to see Withers and Ingram on the floor at the same time as Bacot... so it isn't like Hubert is afraid of using size when it is an option.

It wasn't super frequent, but it was common to see Withers and Ingram on the floor at the same time as Bacot... so it isn't like Hubert is afraid of using size when it is an option.
With Cade at SF and two of Withers, Washington and Lubin up front, we have decent size. Especially if JWash bulks up a bit.

The "expert" guest on TOS makes a good argument for this starting/top PT lineup. He also gives the first reasons I've heard for Cade starting at the 4 (or at least defending the 4).

It also sounds like a small lineup. So here's a fresh look at how big we might be compared with last year's starters.

Size-wise, we're basically the same at PG, SG and SF. Which is to say, smallish. But plenty talented. Up front we give up height in the post and weight at both spots.

Last season, Pomeroy ranked us very near the national average in height at #161 and 77.2"

Apologies to those who think topics and viewpoints should never be repeated. :)

2024 Player2024 Hgt - Wt2025 Hgt - Wt2025 Player
Elliot6'1 - 1806'1 - 180Elliot
RJ6'0 - 1806'0 - 180RJ
Cormac6'5 - 1956'5 - 185Ian
Harrison6'7 - 2356'7 - 205Cade
Armando6'11 - 2406'8 - 230Ven-Allen
Is Mando really 6'11"? I know he was listed at that, but I never got the impression he was taller than J Wash when they both played together last two years. Also, J Wash looks taller in every team picture from Summer and season.

I think most of us have wondered, how did we get to the point where it now looks like our roster is set when we have not addressed our 5 spot need. I will share some chatter that I am hearing, will not swear to the accuracy but it does add up.

The glaring hole I see is our center spot, I am a Jalen guy but the kid isn't playing 40 mins. I am concerned because we are expecting a lot for a kid that got 8 mins a game last season. Now I have heard in the last couple days that one of our returning guys is impressing well over expectations and may ease much of the fans concern for our 5 spot, the guy I am referring to is High. Could this be why Hubert was not exactly in desperation mode for a center from the portal? I think clearly Hubert is looking at Jalen as the starter but if High is coming on stronger than expected much of our concern for the 5 spot is eased a lot.

As for my desperation mode comment for a center in this last portal comment, I have been hearing consistently that after all the smoke cleared, Hubert went hard for 2 big men, his primary target was Aidoo and he ended that feeling Aidoo was just stringing him along. It appears that maybe Aidoo had some remaining hard feelings about being lost in the shuffle as a high school recruit when Hubert took over for Roy, he elected to use us to bid up other schools. The other guy Hubert was willing to take was Omouri, at least prior to the visit, the visit did not go well, seems Hubert was not upset that the kid went elsewhere. Kalkbrenner not entering the portal hit us hard and the 7ft kid from Stanford Raymound I think) was a guy Hubert was looking to go hard for.

Now we got Lubin, throw a major assist out to Jerry Stackhouse for that one, he sold Lubin to take the visit and Hubert to reconsider again after the visit, Hubert was not going to guarantee him a starter spot and, in the end, did not. The kid is talented enough that he can very likely earn the starting spot and the expectations now are that he is very likely our starting 4.

I think most of us have wondered, how did we get to the point where it now looks like our roster is set when we have not addressed our 5 spot need. I will share some chatter that I am hearing, will not swear to the accuracy but it does add up.

The glaring hole I see is our center spot, I am a Jalen guy but the kid isn't playing 40 mins. I am concerned because we are expecting a lot for a kid that got 8 mins a game last season. Now I have heard in the last couple days that one of our returning guys is impressing well over expectations and may ease much of the fans concern for our 5 spot, the guy I am referring to is High. Could this be why Hubert was not exactly in desperation mode for a center from the portal? I think clearly Hubert is looking at Jalen as the starter but if High is coming on stronger than expected much of our concern for the 5 spot is eased a lot.

As for my desperation mode comment for a center in this last portal comment, I have been hearing consistently that after all the smoke cleared, Hubert went hard for 2 big men, his primary target was Aidoo and he ended that feeling Aidoo was just stringing him along. It appears that maybe Aidoo had some remaining hard feelings about being lost in the shuffle as a high school recruit when Hubert took over for Roy, he elected to use us to bid up other schools. The other guy Hubert was willing to take was Omouri, at least prior to the visit, the visit did not go well, seems Hubert was not upset that the kid went elsewhere. Kalkbrenner not entering the portal hit us hard and the 7ft kid from Stanford Raymound I think) was a guy Hubert was looking to go hard for.

Now we got Lubin, throw a major assist out to Jerry Stackhouse for that one, he sold Lubin to take the visit and Hubert to reconsider again after the visit, Hubert was not going to guarantee him a starter spot and, in the end, did not. The kid is talented enough that he can very likely earn the starting spot and the expectations now are that he is very likely our starting 4.
Great post. Hubert knows what he’s doing. Much less to do with “not enough NIL money” and more to do with getting the right fit.

That’s impossible! Chapelle says he’s garbage & a fouling machine and will never amount to anything. If you don’t believe him, just ask him!

Thanks for the update Dave

I'm good with that but where are you hearing it? Every place I look has Lubin starting in the post.

Lubin as PF presumably means Washington is good enough to start (or High, as you mention, but that seems less likely).

It could mean Lubin and Withers starting, with JWit more in the post, but that also seems unlikely. Withers could start, and could play the post, but he seems better suited to the PF.

If Lubin starts at PF, presumably alongside JWash, that suggests Cade gets to play mostly at SF. Which I like the sound of, but AJ says Cade would also do well at PF.

The problem with all that, is where do Ian, Seth and Drake find minutes? A lot of people have Ian penciled in to start at SF, but how does that happen if Lubin is at PF?

Elliot - Seth
RJ - Ian
Cade - Drake
Lubin - JWit
JWash - Zaden

Last edited:
OK, couple of things WW, first Jackson, lot of fans seem to believe Ian starts and that he starts at the 3 over Tyson and that Tyson starts at the 4?

Look, we lost 2 starters and a guy off the bench that were considered solid jump shooters and even when they were not dropping shots defenders gave them the shooters respect. We replaced that loss of shooting with only 1 guy, Tyson. IN order for Tyson not to start he would have to come in and play like Paxon did, recall Paxon started for us in the first couple games but he was not shooting well. From all I have seen from Tyson, he is as advertised, he is a shooter that will command respect from defenders, his starting for me isn't even a debatable point. You simply are not going to lose 2 starters that were solid shooters and not start the ONLY proven shooter you brought in.

Tyson starts at the 3, the small forward position, not the 4, call it my educated guess if you want. But Tyson is 6'7" 205lbs with average reach, Ingram started the 4 for us at 6'7" but did so at 233lbs and a 7ft wing span. While we may steal a few minutes in a small ball look with Tyson at the 4, I strongly hope that is a very limited role.

Who starts at the 4, for me it is a toss up, it is either JWit or Lubin, Lubin may have the inside track but both get solid minutes, I think Lubin gets more minutes. As for High, passing on what I hear is not the same as my endorsing it, I have to see before I can raise my expectations. I did not see a solid role player in High, meaning a guy I want in our normal rotation at any point last season. That does not mean I don't think he can become a solid rotation guy come next season, just means there was a long way for him to go before I could see that ion him for this coming season. I do find it good news when I hear he may now be above expectations of the 8-10min a game for next season and even that for me is a maybe. But we all know, that freshman to soph bump can at times be dramatic.

And yes, that does leave the real question of where do minutes for Seth, Ian, and Drake come from, I have been asking just that for a while now. It is kind of hard to answer because both Ian and Drake are wings and the big time shooter we brought in is as well a wing, lot of talent for 1 floor position. We have 3 guys looking for minutes at the 2, 4 guys looking for minutes at the 4, and no real clear great option to back up JUalen at the 5?

Some of us wanted that lineup a lot more (Ingram at SF, Withers at PF) but Withers wasn't as ready for big minutes at PF as originally expected.

Withers did improve toward the end, so maybe he'll be that guy this season.

Except for his 3pt%, Withers was better last year than the previous season with Lvl. Higher 2pt%. Higher FT%.

This becomes even more clear if you check his per-40 numbers, too. More rebounds. More assists. Fewer TOs. More blocks. More steals. And keep in mind that these weren't scrub minutes.

Tyson starts at the 3, the small forward position, not the 4, call it my educated guess if you want. But Tyson is 6'7" 205lbs with average reach, Ingram started the 4 for us at 6'7" but did so at 233lbs and a 7ft wing span. While we may steal a few minutes in a small ball look with Tyson at the 4, I strongly hope that is a very limited role.
AJ pointed out that Cade hit 60% of his uncontested treys. Sounds like we need to get him the ball whenever he's open.

He also suggested that Cade might be better defending the 4 than we think.

Hence the willingness to consider Cade at the 4 - making more room for our vaunted freshmen on the wing.

But I still default to Cade starting at SF.

When I finish getting my TV to play future games, I'll let you know.

EC, RJ, Tyson, Lubin, JWash to start the year! JWit, Capt, and Seth first off the bench and approach starter minutes, Drake gets the next level and High competes for up to 10 minutes. I only see JB in scattered opportunities or possibly garbage time only!

Reactions: be-heeled
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT