ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Thread

I'm not sure this Drexel kid is quick enough to compete against top defensive teams, but maybe. He's a solid rebounder and shot blocker, and is a decent shooter inside.

He's from England, so that would give Okonkwo someone who speaks his language.

So is Kalkbrenner a real option or just on our "wish list"?

I haven't seen anything outside of this board that would indicate him leaving Creighton.

Back when most of us were grumbling about Caleb's hero ball and many couldn't understand why Hubert kept him in, the obvious answer (I think) is that Hubert didn't think he had a better option.

I think most of your questions can be answered the same way. Maybe with the exception of playing Pete like he was Brady.

Why was Paxson in? Because Hubert didn't think he had a better option.

Could he be wrong about not having a better option? Maybe. But after the surprise early treys from Elliot and Seth were clearly not going to be repeated, can you honestly say they were the better option?
And I agree that was Hubert's thinking but the question is was he right?

I'm not sure this Drexel kid is quick enough to compete against top defensive teams, but maybe. He's a solid rebounder and shot blocker, and is a decent shooter inside.

He's from England, so that would give Okonkwo someone who speaks his language.

LOL, OMG, yeah, it is hard now days to find a kid that speaks ENGLISH! LOL Sorry but that just really struck me as really funny!

And I agree that was Hubert's thinking but the question is was he right?
I agree, that's the question. Like any fan I feel free to doubt Hubert whenever I want to, but I'm inclined to think he may have been right.

Some day maybe we'll have Artificial Intelligence sophisticated enough to replay games realistically - with the substitutions we'd like - and we can see for ourselves.

InsideCarolina has had 3 players in the transfer portal pinned last week.

Maxime Raynaud, Cade Tyson, and Adou Thiero.

Obviously this isn't the end of the conversation, as they had names like Nicolas Timberlake pinned last year. But I certainly take note of the names they don't bother discussing, like the center from Rutgers.

Reactions: gauchoheel
I would take Kalkbrenner in a heartbeat, guy is great. Reynaud seems pretty good, but a bit soft inside and slower with a low block rate. The defensive questions seem similar to Washington. Ideally I think we'd get a better defender, especially if a non-rim protector (like Ingram) is starting at 4 with EC/Cadeau again.

Reynaud please. I hope RJ comes back with a passion! EC will be a beast next season and so will JWash! Hubs really did a great job coaching these boys up. I'm proud of our boys and how hard they played to the last buzzer! 1 Big + 1 shooter wing and we're golden. I don't see very many peeps jumping ship but if Okinkwo or High leave we go after 2 Bigs! I pray Harry and RJ both run it back!

Trey Alexander could be a good pick up to plug into Cormac's spot. Sherrell did an article about him two years ago when he decommitted from Auburn. Some talk about Trey/UNC last off season when 2 high profile Creighton starters transferred and some of that talk is starting back up now. Trey is a projected late first round pick. He can play either the 2 or the 3, depending if RJ stays or goes. The other positive he brings is much needed size to the backcourt. Trey would be open to listening.

Reynaud please. I hope RJ comes back with a passion! EC will be a beast next season and so will JWash! Hubs really did a great job coaching these boys up. I'm proud of our boys and how hard they played to the last buzzer! 1 Big + 1 shooter wing and we're golden. I don't see very many peeps jumping ship but if Okinkwo or High leave we go after 2 Bigs! I pray Harry and RJ both run it back!
High and Konkwo, 2 guys that 10yrs ago I would be really happy to see them come to UNC as freshmen (I know Konkwo didn't) and would really enjoy watching them develop in to productive players. The problem is that this isn't 10yrs ago, the portal has changed everything so much, as has NIL. Today those deep bench developmental guys tend to leave before they can be developed rather than sit behind guys that are producing now. And from the coaches aspect, do I hold on to a guy that clearly is not yet ready and pass on a kid from the portal that can help my team right now?

A coach has to keep a tight eye on his players, have to be able to really see the work they are putting in and how much they are developing, especially outside of practice. High for example, I would have to see him living in the weight room and I would have to see him filling out his frame. Both High and JWash, I would keep a very close eye on, I would need to get near daily reports from my S/C staff as to what they are doing and how their work is playing in to their developmental needed areas. It is going to be slow for both those guys to add weight due to their frame, Jalen lived in the weight room all last off season and it showed but a need for more flexibility also showed in his game this season, means he has to strengthen up his base (lower body). With High, I have no idea what he can be until he gets some meat on those bones, I mean this kid needs to be 235lbs like yesterday! I see High's upside as a kid that maybe will be a guy that blocks some shots, do like his motor and that he does not seem to back down from a fight but how long is he going to be willing to wait for his turn? Jalen is a kid I hold on to strong because that jump shot is deadly but he needs to be more willing to look for that. His defense does need big time work but I think a lot of that comes from his lower body needing to get stronger and for gosh sakes PLEASE work on putting the ball on the floor with a power dribble or 2 and exploding up hard. Has to really work on catching the ball and grabbing/holding it strong, his hands seem a bit weakish. I see him progressing to starter level but I have to consider as a coach is he getting there quick enough, is he willing to work and wait, can he get there by the end of this off season?

Konkwo, I really like his athletism but there is really little upside to his game, I just don't see the skill aspect as being strong enough to find minutes. He would be better off on a team that is really physical and runs a deep bench, with us I don't see him playing any more than he did this season. I think the portal may be his best option.

Hubert is and may have already begun to have season ending discussions with his players, to see or try to see where their heads are, we should know more what our needs look like when that process has finished. Especially finding out what RJ and Ingram are thinking, NBA, test the waters, or coming back for 1 more..

Trey Alexander could be a good pick up to plug into Cormac's spot. Sherrell did an article about him two years ago when he decommitted from Auburn. Some talk about Trey/UNC last off season when 2 high profile Creighton starters transferred and some of that talk is starting back up now. Trey is a projected late first round pick. He can play either the 2 or the 3, depending if RJ stays or goes. The other positive he brings is much needed size to the backcourt. Trey would be open to listening.
The only concern I would have is that having Jack and Drake on the way I feel like both will slot in to the replacing Ryan role, the question is can either jump shoot well enough as freshmen? And of course what RJ decides to do is a MAJOR factor. The other thing is if RJ does leave we have no one else at the point other than Cadeau and playing him 40mins as our PG does not look ideal, even if he learns to drop jump shots and stays away from foul trouble. I think the Johnson kid may be the down the road solution for this, I think if Hubert plays his cards right we get his commit but the kid is a rising high school senior, would not help us next season. I think if RJ leaves we need to portal in a sweet shooting combo but one with more length than RJ has, a guy that can give us at least 10mins a game at the point and a few mins at the 2.

I would be very surprised if he does not go pro, as you said projected 1st rounder.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Ingram's improved 3ball stroke has seemed to have moved him into the 2nd round. If so, he gone.
Being in the 2nd round means he'd likely get two-way contract or a G-League contract. Both pay less than he would make off NIL at UNC. Also, two-way contracts are non-guaranteed. Meaning you can be cut at any point and you will not be paid the rest of your contract.

So I'm curious why you would assume a 2nd round draft projection definitively means "he gone."

Being in the 2nd round means he'd likely get two-way contract or a G-League contract. Both pay less than he would make off NIL at UNC. Also, two-way contracts are non-guaranteed. Meaning you can be cut at any point and you will not be paid the rest of your contract.

So I'm curious why you would assume a 2nd round draft projection definitively means "he gone."
Actually there’s about a 70% chance he’d get a contract in the second round. At least league minimum.

Actually there’s about a 70% chance he’d get a contract in the second round. At least league minimum.
What is League minimum these days? I genuinely don't know. You could say anything between 400 grand and 5 million and I wouldn't be able to say how close you are.

That two-way is valuable. Not a guarenteed 1st round, but a very good starting point with growth and advantages. Coming back and aging another year before stepping up to the pro level prospects, gives the impression you want the easier competition and short term NIL?
Especially if RJ leaves, he may be an old guy with a struggle to repeat what he showed this year. The 3ball was not a strong point coming in to this year. If he improves in a featured way that does not translate he is a year older with a lost year of development in the leagues eyes.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
What is League minimum these days? I genuinely don't know. You could say anything between 400 grand and 5 million and I wouldn't be able to say how close you are.
A two-way gets half of the league minimum. 560,00 or so I think. One of my former guys was recently not given it by the Grizzlies, so he left the G league for 925,000 base to play in Belgium this year, going great playing very well.

If he gets a guarenteed two way he will be back. If not a big raise is in order over seas. Two ways are valuable.

A two-way gets half of the league minimum. 560,00 or so I think. One of my former guys was recently not given it by the Grizzlies, so he left the G league for 925,000 base to play in Belgium this year, going great playing very well.

If he gets a guarenteed two way he will be back. If not a big raise is in order over seas. Two ways are valuable.
Thanks.

Vlad Goldin FAU in portal.
Probably Michigan bound with Dusty May, but he would be my second choice at our 5 spot if Ryan Kalkbrenner turns out to be a pipe dream

Supposedly a big or two not in portal yet .... likes UNC I have no names ... guess we will have to wait & see ....

Kansas has a 5 star center committed. Could Dickinson decide to use his covid year by transferring to take the place of his AAU big brother Bacot?
We offered him out of HS. Some of us wanted him when he entered the portal.

Is he listed on any mock drafts?

Is there some reason why we wouldn't want him now?

We offered him out of HS. Some of us wanted him when he entered the portal.

Is he listed on any mock drafts?

Is there some reason why we wouldn't want him now?
He is a defensive liability in the Pick n roll and his effect on team chemistry is ALWAYS a concern.
Easy pass for me

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT