ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Baylor has offered Jeremy Roach $1.5 million.

Meanwhile Jeff Goodman reports multiple teams are trying to get RJ Davis to enter the transfer portal. I can only imagine the numbers a first team All American will be offered. We may have to spend our whole NIL just to keep him.

Baylor has offered Jeremy Roach $1.5 million.

Meanwhile Jeff Goodman reports multiple teams are trying to get RJ Davis to enter the transfer portal. I can only imagine the numbers a first team All American will be offered. We may have to spend our whole NIL just to keep him.
Tangential question: I thought NIL was supposed to be deals between players and businesses. But I keep reading things that suggest NIL is being handled directly by schools and even coaches. Does Hubert have a "payroll" account that he can dole out to current players and recruiting targets?

What's actually happening?

Tangential question: I thought NIL was supposed to be deals between players and businesses. But I keep reading things that suggest NIL is being handled directly by schools and even coaches. Does Hubert have a "payroll" account that he can dole out to current players and recruiting targets?

What's actually happening?
The NCAA opened up Pandora's Box and has no oversight in place.

A big part of UNC's pitch is showing the large amount of money a player could make at UNC. Other schools are just having a rich booster cut a check to get the player to commit.

Reactions: gary-7
Ah. Thanks.

I see that 247 now has both Aidoo and Roach heading to Baylor. If that's correct, Scott Drew may be winning the portal. Time for Hubert to begin his kick?
As I posted above, the report is $1.5 million for Jeremy Roach from Baylor. We should assume they are also paying way too much for Aidoo.

One of Baylor's billionaire boosters is the former owners of the Houston Astros.

I don't know how Hubert can compete with stuff like that. Especially if we're having to fend off teams trying to poach RJ Davis.

As I posted above, the report is $1.5 million for Jeremy Roach from Baylor. We should assume they are also paying way too much for Aidoo.

One of Baylor's billionaire boosters is the former owners of the Houston Astros.

I don't know how Hubert can compete with stuff like that. Especially if we're having to fend off teams trying to poach RJ Davis.
So then, please name the teams that are attempting to poach UNC players?

I wonder if boosters who put up big money get to pick the players they want, or don't want, as the case may be.

Could we see, for example, racist boosters condition their contributions to getting more white starters?

So then, please name the teams that are attempting to poach UNC players?
Goodman didn't specify as far as I can tell.

But there are no more rules. We saw that with Simeon Wilcher last summer. We saw that with GG Jackson. People acted surprised when Roach and Ballo walked away from starting jobs at elite basketball programs, but now we see why. If Roach can get $1.5 million, imagine how much a First Team All American like RJ Davis must be getting offered.

Arkansas boosters are stealing UK recruits. Heck Louisville boosters may very well be about to steal a UK recruit. All that matters anymore is which school has the most billionaire boosters willing to throw away millions of dollars on a single season of success.

Reactions: OldSchoo01
Anybody suddenly think of the movie, Firestarter???

In the words of the immortal sage, A Rogers, RELAX. The portal is just getting good and our coach has a handle on it!

Heck, there seems to be no limit on how much $ the schools can offer anyone. Even the NBA has a salary cap. But now it’s up to how many billionaires your school can line up. I’m rapidly losing interest in the college game and that makes me really sad.

Reactions: alabamaheel
As long as the game has someone wearing UNC on their chest, I'm in! As long as UNC remains true to the Carolina Way, I'm in! So, this is just another thing to adjust to.

Heck, there seems to be no limit on how much $ the schools can offer anyone. Even the NBA has a salary cap. But now it’s up to how many billionaires your school can line up. I’m rapidly losing interest in the college game and that makes me really sad.
I hear you man. I’m finding myself watching less and less. But it’s sports as a whole too.

Remember that as soon as you mention the R word, peeps stop thinking and simply react! Few can get past that word to the actual point, lol! The scenario where boosters might be able to cherry pick which players they are willing to contribute for is interesting! How does it work now, do I say I'll give X amount of $$$ to the school for recruitment and never attempt to give any input???

Wow dook damn near lost their entire team!! 17yr old Cooper Flag may have to go elsewhere to show case his talents cause a team full of pamper wearing babies about to be eating alive by grown folks!

Lost:
1. Flip
2. Mccain
3. Mitchell
4. Roach
5. Blakes
6. Schutt
7. Power
8. Sean Stewart
9. Christian Reeves
10. Ryan Young (No eligibility)
Definitely huge losses. But they still return 2 5-star starters (Proctor and Foster) and 5 more 5-star freshmen (plus a 4-star guy).

Scheyer doesn't need top talent from the portal. He needs training wheels to help his diaper dandies find their balance.

We might as well contact Sean Stewart. He was a top 25 recruit. Seems like there is a significant chance we won't even get any of our first tier Center targets to visit.

I just want a quality starting center to actually visit UNC and give us a chance to recruit him.
How many years of eligibility does Tony Bradley have left? I mean if it's OK to pay college players, why not let those who left early come back and finish out their eligibility?

I bet he could get more NIL than he's getting in the G-League.

Besides, he owes us at least 1 year.

Another G-League guy who didn't use up all his years is Justin Jackson.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
No doubt
Hate to put all the eggs in the basket on the Rutgers guy I believe he’s playing the bidding war deal
Seems weird for him to be visiting Georgetown if he's looking for the highest possible paycheck. Seems even weirder for Georgetown to get the first visit while we aren't even scheduled for one.

I also naively thought we would already have a visit with Danny Wolf lined up after David Sisk popped in 2 weeks ago to say the UNC staff was focusing on Danny Wolf.

If I'm reading the dates right on 247, by this time last year we already had commits from

Paxson Wojcik
Jae'lyn Withers

And by the end of the next week we added

Harrison Ingram
Cormac Ryan

Okonkwo came on in July.

Probably too early to start getting worried, but I'm a notorious early worrier.

If I'm reading the dates right on 247, by this time last year we already had commits from

Paxson Wojcik
Jae'lyn Withers

And by the end of the next week we added

Harrison Ingram
Cormac Ryan

Okonkwo came on in July.

Probably too early to start getting worried, but I'm a notorious early worrier.
No need to worry at this point. Tyson is on campus and the staff has already put the full-court press on him. There are viable candidates to tandem with JWash, and we haven't lost anybody until, well... they officially don't come back...

No need to worry at this point. Tyson is on campus and the staff has already put the full-court press on him. There are viable candidates to tandem with JWash, and we haven't lost anybody until, well... they officially don't come back...
Tyson already got a crystal ball tonight from the same guy who broke the Ballo to Arizona news. So that seems very promising. I'll be surprised if he isn't a Tar Heel.

But there is a lot to worry about on the Center front. The staff knows Washington isn't capable of starting on a championship contender YET. In fact I was told if the season started right now, Withers would start over Washington at the 5. JWash is still very much a project on the defensive side of the floor, and the staff still feels like they have to protect that knee.

The staff prioritized Ballo, Wolf, Bradshaw, Omoruyi, and Aidoo. Ballo and Bradshaw committed elsewhere without visiting. Aidoo is about to do the same. Wolf hasn't visited us and TrillyDonovan just predicted he'll go to Michigan. Omoruyi hasn't scheduled a visit with us, but he is visiting Georgetown this weekend and Tipton says he's setting up a visit to Bama next weekend. It is very possible, maybe even likely, that all of the players our staff wanted to be UNC's next starting center will commit elsewhere without stepping foot in Chapel Hill. That's very worrisome. It may be entirely NIL related. It may not even be something the staff can control if they don't have the funds to bid on these players. Or they may feel a duty to hold NIL money to ensure we can keep RJ, Ingram, Cadeau, Jackson, and Powell.

Our staff is making it very clear they do not think they have a suitable starting center, and no one is even visiting. The transfer portal closes on May 1st. We're running out of time for a UNC caliber center to put his name in the portal and give us a real chance to recruit him.

Maybe more bigs probably will declare ... folks .. portal aint over
True. But the portal closes in 12 days. So they are running out of time to enter the portal. And it still doesn't change the fact that we haven't gotten a single center to visit UNC, and it looks quite likely we will miss on all of Hubert's top choices barring a miracle with Cliff Omoruyi.

So fingers crossed there is some super secret target that isn't in the portal yet, but has been communicating with the staff behind the scenes. Otherwise we're in a very tough spot.

Reactions: tarheels0015
...fingers crossed there is some super secret target that isn't in the portal yet, but has been communicating with the staff behind the scenes.
I hope not. From this document:
Communicating with another Division I school’s athletics staff prior to entering the Transfer Portal can jeopardize a student-athlete’s future eligibility at that school. Existing recruiting rules prohibit with a student-athlete who is enrolled at another Division I school prior to the student-athlete appearing in the Transfer Portal. These rules extend to indirect contact made by third parties on the student-athlete’s behalf (e.g., family member, scholastic or nonscholastic coach, advisor, former teammates). Certain violations of these rules can constitute a significant breach of conduct as it relates to the NCAA infractions process.
I know the NCAA has been cornered and their control weakened, but this seems like a generally sound rule that is needed, especially in the interest of the majority of players who have done things the right way with hopes of fair opportunity to seek or garner attention or find a good fit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT